News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-02-05, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Amare expands his game

IMO this is mixed news for the Spurs.

On the one hand, fixing his left hand makes Amare even more difficult to guard, which is a scary prospect.

On the other hand, learning that he's shooting corner 3's is excellent, since nobody on the Suns would benefit from having him at the corner. Plus he seems NOT to have embarked on the journey of becoming a truly great big man, which for him involves greatly improving his DEFENSE.

=========================
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...esuns1002.html

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns officially get back to work Monday, when they go through a circuit of media duties and catch a bus to Tucson for a weeklong training camp.

But Amaré Stoudemire really never stopped working since the playoffs. By his count, he took two weeks off this summer outside of his basketball training and his expanding off-court demands.

You will see it when he drives to his left, pushes the fast break with the dribble, pulls up for jumpers and - gulp - shoots the corner three-pointer. After pickup games, Stoudemire's shooting drills now regularly include long streaks of made threes. advertisement

"I'm ready to go," Stoudemire said. "I'm really trying to win a championship this year. That's what I'm striving for. There are a lot of new guys and there have been some huge changes, but I think it's all for the best to help this team become a champion. That's what it is all about."

Stoudemire committed himself, whether it was occasional trips to America West Arena for workouts with Suns athletic trainers, or asking Phoenix assistant coach Phil Weber to come to Orlando for five days so he could continue the basketball development they did at the arena.

"His mind-set is about as good as it gets," Weber said. "Because of how good he is, some other factors came up this summer that other people don't have to worry about. He did whatever I asked for as long as I asked. He just wants to be the best player he can be."

The pair worked primarily on offense, leaving the defensive adjustments to come from assistant Marc Iavaroni via video lessons. Stoudemire and Weber worked on perimeter moves usually reserved for backcourt players.

Suns power forward Brian Grant, signed this summer, carries the best perspective for Stoudemire's development as a former foe. He knew every scouting report on Stoudemire said to force him left. When he did that during one of last month's voluntary workout games, Stoudemire blew by him.

"Oops," Grant told the coaches. "Guess you can't do that anymore."

Stoudemire said he liked the team's summer moves, although he did make a push for the Suns to try to keep Joe Johnson. Any distaste seems to come from only Johnson's side. Stoudemire said they were "real good friends" and hung out away from basketball.

"I can't hate him for the move he made because it was a smart move on his behalf," Stoudemire said.

The additions of Grant and Kurt Thomas, two veteran post players, were especially pleasing to Stoudemire, who now won't have to guard opponents' top post players and may get more space to operate. He played frequently last month with the team's other additions, including the standout of them all, guard Raja Bell.

"I'm impressed," Stoudemire said. "I think we're going to be even better, especially defensively, and we've still got the offensive game."
Old 10-02-05, 09:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Another thing to consider is that he may be a little too intense. If he pushes himself too hard, it could lead to injury or mental blocks. Gotta love his commitment though.

Also, hitting those three's in a practice situation vs a game is quite different. We'll see how many bricks he sends up before getting a rhythm.

Last edited by kyleo; 10-02-05 at 09:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-05, 09:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

his offensive isn't the problem, he should have worked on his defense or lack there of
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-05, 09:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I look forward to seeing the new and improved Stud-amire.
Old 10-02-05, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i wonder if he will stop drop and do 3 pushups everytime he hits a 3.
Old 10-02-05, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
If Iavaroni can send him a video, he can come HERE and teach Amare, thats why he was hired, he's a defensive coach.
Hasn't Iavaroni been there in Phoenix since 2002? It seems the message didn't get across.....
Old 10-02-05, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Come on guys, the guy is flat out unbeleivable. He's SCARY. He's a joy to watch and how much he has improved his game is downright SCARY (USE THE WORD AGAIN).

On defense, sure he has his moments where he's not there, but he's so young and that will come.

BTW, its the system they play as well that makes it appears he's not that good on defense.

The guy is amazing and is that GOOD.
Old 10-02-05, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I agree he did look amazingly scary during the WCF last year. Combine that sort of talent with that much determination and intensity, let's just hope the Spurs can contain everybody else on the Sun's roster cuz this guy is gonna get his 30 points a night, at least.
SpursReport Team Captain

Yeah he's good

but he is NOT a good defender and thats what he should have spent time working on if he didnt

not shooting 3's
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
I could have sworn that he was hired this offseason by D'Antoni to coach the defensive side of the ball.
No. He's been with the Suns since 2002. Became a free agent at the end of last season, interviewed for a couple of head coaching jobs, but eventually re-signed with the Suns.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_050719.html
Old 10-02-05, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The Suns dont scare me and I dont expect them to be better than last year
Old 10-02-05, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Geez, last I recall, Spurs beat these guys as a team. Stud-mire can improve all he wants but he alone will not net the Suns a championship. Sorry, I don't see Grant, Thomas, nor Bell complimenting his game to beat the top teams in the league.
Old 10-02-05, 11:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If STAT-amire wants to drop 63 on the Spurs and lose, then I say let 'im. Just cue the laugh-track, when it's time.
Old 10-03-05, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

i think stoudamire will be better than last season, but the suns won't be.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 10-03-05, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

"Amare expands his game" ... huh,

Step 1. Become a 3-pt threat
Step 2. Learn how to read

Good Luck Big Guy!
Old 10-03-05, 05:34 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I like Amare, but I still think the Suns will live and die with Nash's leadership and skills. IMO Nash is the head of the cobra, and while they have become better defensively, I still don't think as a team they can match the Spur's defensive intensity or the Pistons or Pacers where all 3 teams depend on a team system of defense. I think the Suns will continue to fall into defensive lapses that will eventually kill them in the playoffs. Stoudamire just amazes me everytime I watch the replays of the WCF playoffs, even when Nash wasn't there he still killed the Spurs down low. But he doesn't play very good team defense and he dissappears on the defensive boards, those two areas he really needs to work at with the team.
Old 10-03-05, 07:19 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

can you really learn to be a good defender by watching videos?
Old 10-03-05, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
about as well as you can learn to drive a tractor by reading a book...
Old 10-03-05, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Who cares if the Suns win more, I just want to see Amare torch people
Old 10-03-05, 10:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

when i read amare expands his game i automatically thought he now does something on offense besides dunking
Old 10-03-05, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Amare is a stud and i give him 3 years and he will be the best big man on the planet...he is young and is bound to improve defensively with time. Which is his only real weakness. he is close to signing an extension which will put the suns in a great position for years to come
Old 10-03-05, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If he can't or won't play defense, and he can't or won't rebound, he will never make his team a winning team. That was very obvious in the series against the Spurs. No one could be a better offensive threat than he was, but the Spurs simply came right back and scored against him. You can say exactly the same thing about Steve Nash. These are two HUGE holes in their defense which even the sometimes-offensively-challenged Spurs can exploit at will.

This article makes me think that Amare still doesn't get it. He should be getting lessons from the Moses Malones of the world, not working on his offense.
Old 10-03-05, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

the kid is 22 for godsake...it takes time to become an all-ound player when you are straight out of high school..as long as suns have amare they should keep contending
Old 10-03-05, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSMANIA300
the kid is 22 for godsake...it takes time to become an all-ound player when you are straight out of high school..as long as suns have amare they should keep contending
Who said anything about his age?

There is such a huge difference in this league between "contending" and "winning". Getting to the NBA finals, and giving yourself a chance to win it all, is the gold standard. Both the Spurs and Pistons reached that standard last year. The Suns, frankly, came up quite a bit short -- they were spanked by the Spurs, badly.

The hardest thing to figure out for a team like the Suns or Mavs is that they are not going to reach that final level just by incremental improvements within the basic framework. A team built around high-octane offense like that is simply a great regular-season team, not a winning playoff team.

Maybe -- just maybe --- they really don't care. Maybe their owners are happy with making money and getting lots of hype in the regular season, and getting into the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs every year before being plowed under. Maybe that's why they keep supporting the coaches and front offices that build a system like that.
Old 10-03-05, 12:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

No it's clear the suns are commited to winning otherwise they wouldn't of tried to get defensive players. the mistake dallas made was overloading more offense a few years back when they came up short against the spurs in 6 games..suns are trying to become better by adding guys who can play D...bell, thomas, jones, diaw for example...most knew the suns weren't quite ready to step up and be champs last year..you need to lose in the playoffs before you can taste success. I don't think suns will win it all this year but they should be improved, maybe not total wins but for the playoffs they should be a tougher team...they added defense and depth, something they lacked last year..marion guarding duncan was never going to work for the suns...they added size and depth. they should be a tougher team to face. obviously some disagree but i like what they have done
Old 10-03-05, 02:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Seems to me he's aiming to go in that versatility category (KG, Rasheed Wallace). He keeps changing his identity...went from a power player to an all-around player
Old 10-03-05, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin
Who said anything about his age?

There is such a huge difference in this league between "contending" and "winning". Getting to the NBA finals, and giving yourself a chance to win it all, is the gold standard. Both the Spurs and Pistons reached that standard last year. The Suns, frankly, came up quite a bit short -- they were spanked by the Spurs, badly.

The hardest thing to figure out for a team like the Suns or Mavs is that they are not going to reach that final level just by incremental improvements within the basic framework. A team built around high-octane offense like that is simply a great regular-season team, not a winning playoff team.

Maybe -- just maybe --- they really don't care. Maybe their owners are happy with making money and getting lots of hype in the regular season, and getting into the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs every year before being plowed under. Maybe that's why they keep supporting the coaches and front offices that build a system like that.
Remind us how often the Spurs have been in the NBA Finals. Remind us how we were a great regular season team that got trounced out of the playoffs. TIME is necessary as with all things to achieve a framework necessary for Finals contention.
Old 10-03-05, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Amare will be alot for us to handle over the years to come.......

But I do not think he will ever be as good as TD.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 10-03-05, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...sunsamare.html

He signed today!
Old 10-03-05, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxrising
Well, there goes the Lakeshow's Plan B.
Old 10-03-05, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossu
Well, there goes the Lakeshow's Plan B.
Forget plan B, that was plans A-X!
Old 10-03-05, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Amare is a stud, no doubt about it. But so far in his career, it has been all about one on one play. The question is, does he make everyone better the way TD does? The Spurs won last year because they were a team. One poster wrote earlier that Amare may be better, but the team probably won't be. That is a pretty accurate statement.
Old 10-03-05, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Remind us how often the Spurs have been in the NBA Finals. Remind us how we were a great regular season team that got trounced out of the playoffs. TIME is necessary as with all things to achieve a framework necessary for Finals contention.
Well, you make a point. But I think it's more than just time. Because teams don't stay the same. But, if a team can keep the coach, the key player, and the ownership's backing to do things the coach's way, they can reach success within a relatively short amount of time. With the Spurs, obviously, it's the Holts buying the team in 96, Popovich taking over coaching during the 96-97 season, and Duncan via lottery in 97-98. One year later the Spurs had their first championship, and have been right there as strong contenders ever since.

This is not the Spurs of old. There is nothing that is similar.
Old 10-04-05, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Comeon guys, don't be blinded in love with the Spurs FO, they did a "SJax" again! They obviously offered too little money or without an offer at all, and expect the player to answer back by a certain day. And they already have a backup plan (Oberto) like they did with Hedon't. It's exactly the same thing! 'Tight-wallet' Holt strikes again!
Amare trying 3's??

I think it's a mistake for any big man with a dominant inside game to shoot from too far out on the floor.
That's why I think Tim Duncan is a more important player than KG.
Amare can do much more damage to a defense by attacking the inside and forcing double/triple teams. That improves the entire team's offense. Hitting 3's would not make his teamates better.

BTW -- I think Amare is awesome, even if his D is mediocre.
Old 10-04-05, 12:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSMANIA300
didnt david robinson finish 2nd in the mvp vote his rookie year? and i believe tim duncan was pretty good his rookie year... both a lot better than amare
Old 10-04-05, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
i guess if Amare is clueless to why his defense is lacking, then vids would help.. just watch Bruce Bowen ... but really it's about putting in the effort, feet movement, lateral movement and the using of body/arms to your full advantage.

it's the effort part i think Amare needs to impove on.
Old 10-04-05, 01:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Both older and with more basketball experience than Amare too. Oops, you forgot that part.
Old 10-04-05, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I will gladly let Amare run up the court and pop 3's. It was his defense that needed help, and we have yet to see if he has worked on that at all over the summer.
Old 10-04-05, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Amare's defense will continue to be a problem that plagues him throughout his career. I think it's difficult to make an adjustment from HS to pros especially on the defensive end and especially for big men. It is about positioning, and footwork, and leverage and they just can't teach you that in HS and D'Antoni is clearly not capable of teaching it. He needs to spend a summer with Moses Malone.