News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-25-05, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sean Elliott and ???

I know Sean Elliott will be on of our commentators this season but since Lance Blanks is gone anyone know who will take his place?

Is Steve Kerr still with TNT?

What about ABC... don't tell me Hubie will do it again.....arrrrrggg I like Hubie and all but he seemed a bit biased toward Detroit in the Finals last season.

Al Michaels and Marv are so so but tolerable....

Walton and Tolbert -- eh -- they're ok I guess

just wondering who will be the Spurs commentators.

Bill Land?

Dick Stockton?

Others?

thanks.
Old 09-25-05, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

probably Dick and Bill Land again with sean elliot as color
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-25-05, 08:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud786
No, all three at the same time. You mean Bill OR Dick and Sean, right? I would expect it to be Dick & Sean most of the time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-25-05, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dick Stockton and Sean Elliot is all I need. They compliment each other well, and Stockton is really good. I would love to have Marv Albert but he's with the YES network and TNT.
Old 09-25-05, 08:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Never EVER say Walton is ok again!
Old 09-25-05, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I dont see Steve Kerr announcing any Spurs games he is part owner of Suns and I think Kerr nonw lives in California.
Old 09-25-05, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

"OH MAMA!!" I like Bill Land, and I couldn't help but have Spurs on the mind while I was listening to Dick Stockton doing the Cowboys' game.
Old 09-25-05, 11:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahoopster
"OH MAMA!!" I like Bill Land, and I couldn't help but have Spurs on the mind while I was listening to Dick Stockton doing the Cowboys' game.
Yea that's what brought him to mind too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud786
What exactly DOES a "color" commentator do? Just give insight? Why are they called "color" commentators???

Just seems like an odd choice of word... maybe I should look it up in the dictionary and see if there's a def that explains it to me...

I think I'll go do just that

OK looked it up....

Ah here it is:

color

Variety of expression.
Vivid, picturesque detail: a story with a lot of color in it.
Traits of personality or behavior that attract interest.

got it...

Last edited by Spurs biggest fan; 09-25-05 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs biggest fan
I know Sean Elliott will be on of our commentators this season but since Lance Blanks is gone anyone know who will take his place?

Is Steve Kerr still with TNT?

What about ABC... don't tell me Hubie will do it again.....arrrrrggg I like Hubie and all but he seemed a bit biased toward Detroit in the Finals last season.

Al Michaels and Marv are so so but tolerable....

Walton and Tolbert -- eh -- they're ok I guess

just wondering who will be the Spurs commentators.

Bill Land?

Dick Stockton?

Others?

thanks.
Exactly which games are you referring to? Every single one???

Because each network has different announce teams and each network covers the Spurs at various points throughout the season.

If you're talking local/ regional coverage - you'll probably get some combonation of Stockton, Land and Elliott. An occasional color man may be used in case Elliott is unavailable - but does it really matter who it is??

If you're talking TNT - you could get a variety of crews (depending on their particular schedules) - and yes, Kerr is still at TNT - he has a contract. He is regularly paired with Marv Albert - who is also under contract.

ABC NBA coverage will be anchored by the same crew (Al Michaels & Hubie Brown) - because they are under contract.

ABC may occasionally have another crew do a Spurs game - but it will be ABC/ESPN broadcasters (ie Walton & Tolbert). They have the NBA television contract for the next 4 seasons.

I know some fans prefer their announcers to stroke the Spurs for 48 minutes, but I don't really care who calls the games or what they say - as long as we win.

Old 09-26-05, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Those of you who hate Hubie because of his "biased" are clueless. The only thing he's biased toward is good basketball. I'd be in hoops heaven if Hubie did every single Spurs game I saw.
But most of you are only happy when there's something to gripe about.
Old 09-26-05, 08:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
Those of you who hate Hubie because of his "biased" are clueless. The only thing he's biased toward is good basketball. I'd be in hoops heaven if Hubie did every single Spurs game I saw.
But most of you are only happy when there's something to gripe about.

Well I guess the Spurs really didn't play any "good basketball" at all during the Finals last year, cause he wouldn't get off the Pistons jock even when the Spurs were on a roll. It was mostly what the Pistons were doing right, or what they needed to do to get back on track, against the Spurs.

I'm guessing he was still bitter about getting served in the playoffs the year before by the Spurs.

By the way, Dick Stockton and Sean locally are cool. Nationally: Marv, Steve Kerr, Doug Collins, Kevin Harlan, Tolbert, Walton (color, not in studio) are all very good and/or entertaining to listen too.
Old 09-26-05, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If you get Direcet TV's NBA Ticket you get to hear all the commentators around the league. It really makes me appreciate the Spurs guys (Sean and Dick). Some of these teams commentators are HORRRRIBLE!!!. I know Sean is a homer but he seams fair. He will criticize the refs for calls even if the Spurs benifit. He seems to call it both ways though no one doubts he is a Spur/Spurs fan.

The guys in Utah, Denver, Boston are the worst. Especially Boston and Utah. I want to slap the Boston guys. I don't think the Celtics have ever committed a foul in their minds. My Tommy points for them is retire. The Jazz guys are so bad because not only are they myopic when it comes to fouls but they are stupid too. They can't pronounce opposing teams player names even by the end of the season. The 3rd? game against the Spurs they said stupid comments about them being all defense and that Tim played with a group of average nobodies. I had to watch the rest on mute.

Sean and Dick (even the second string) are way better than most teams.
Old 09-26-05, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i like bill walton and hubie brown. Walton gives a meta-picture of whats going on and he is able to speak from his championship experiences. he knows what the players are going through. When Hubie Brown is on its like going to basketball college. He gets into the X's and O's like no other commentator. They are great.

ABC and ESPN studio coverage sucks though, i usually mute the TV or change the channel when they come on. ABC studio coverage sucks the big one
Old 09-26-05, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sure. TDA. That Hubie is really vindictive, is he?
Either Hubie was really vindictive because the Spurs eliminated his team the year before, or this is just another case of Spurs fans twisting things so that that can be happy and miserable.
GEE, I WONDER WHICH ON IT IS?!!??!!?
Old 09-26-05, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I haven't heard any real anti-Spur commentators, but at least twice in the playoffs (Seattle and Detroit) the commentators had virtually nothing to say about the Spurs, almost to the point of ignoring them. To a Spurs fan, obviously, they might as well be Lakers trolls commentating.
Old 09-26-05, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Sure. TDA. That Hubie is really vindictive, is he?
Either Hubie was really vindictive because the Spurs eliminated his team the year before, or this is just another case of Spurs fans twisting things so that that can be happy and miserable.
GEE, I WONDER WHICH ON IT IS?!!??!!?
He is obviously sour about being eliminated.
Old 09-26-05, 01:35 PM
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GO03SPURS05
Never EVER say Walton is ok again!
I second that!!!!
Old 09-26-05, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm glad Lance moved on down the road. I'm assuming he must have been an AMAZING scout because his commentating couldn't have sucked more! Good luck, Lance! Stick with scouting...

This year, I'd put Hubie and Brent on every one of the Spurs games. Let them buttkiss the other teams and crap all over the Spurs all they want. That makes winning even sweeter!

BTW - whoever said Tom Tolbert needs to be banned from the board!
Old 09-26-05, 05:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
He is obviously sour about being eliminated.
Nope. You honestly think that Hubie Brown is the kind of guy that can't respect a team that plays the right way? He was going on and on last year about how great a team the Spurs were after his team got eliminated.

It's amazing to me that every major network hates the Spurs, every play-by-play guy hates the Spurs, every color commentator hates the Spurs, every newspaper writer hates the Spurs, the referees hate the Spurs and David Stern hates the Spurs.
By Spurs fans standards, the Spurs are more hated Osama Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein combined.

And it makes sense too, because the Spurs have done so much to insite this hate, haven't they? They are a bunch of no good citizens, and their coach is always bad-mouthing other teams. IT REALLY MAKES SENSE, DOESN'T IT?
Old 09-26-05, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I really like Hubie, he did a Great job a few years back doing the games. Him spilting time with Sean would be perfect. Some games form a coaches view others from a player...perfect IMO.
Old 09-26-05, 09:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Nope. You honestly think that Hubie Brown is the kind of guy that can't respect a team that plays the right way? He was going on and on last year about how great a team the Spurs were after his team got eliminated.

It's amazing to me that every major network hates the Spurs, every play-by-play guy hates the Spurs, every color commentator hates the Spurs, every newspaper writer hates the Spurs, the referees hate the Spurs and David Stern hates the Spurs.
By Spurs fans standards, the Spurs are more hated Osama Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein combined.

And it makes sense too, because the Spurs have done so much to insite this hate, haven't they? They are a bunch of no good citizens, and their coach is always bad-mouthing other teams. IT REALLY MAKES SENSE, DOESN'T IT?

Chill out man, if you like Hubie so much than good for you. No one is saying that everyone hates the Spurs. There is a difference in what people post and what people read into it.

Hopefully from now on Hubie only commentates on your TV and others who don't have a problem with him. And those of us who don't ever care to see him do another Spurs game again.....May we be blessed to never see him on our own TV sets... Ever.

Then maybe, everyone will be happy.
Old 09-26-05, 10:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well, I guess you all have every right to be wrong.
Old 09-26-05, 11:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Well, I guess you all have every right to be wrong.
And so do Hubie lovers.
Old 09-27-05, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Until the Finals, Hubie was the most respected commentator out there, even by Spurs fans.
Then the Spurs got to the finals, and everyone wanted more and more respect for the Spurs. And even though the Spurs got the respect (and they absolutely did), fickle Spurs fans who are too busy being soccer moms and looking for anything to gripe about, turned their sights on Hubie.
I have never heard Hubie utter a sore word toward anyone, and it's too bad that a class act like him has to be the target of the most misguided fans in the NBA.
It's always the world against the Spurs!
Old 09-27-05, 07:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Carnac, read post #23 again, we're going around in circles here.

You: Hubie's God, blah, blah, blah.

Me: Whatever, Hubie sucks, but if you like him than that's your problem. To bad those of us who don't like him will probably still have to deal with him doing games from time to time. Sucks for us, oh well, the world will somehow manage to go on.

You: People who don't like Skeletor errrr, I mean Hubie are "the most misguided fans in the NBA". It's pretty obvious 'cause if they weren't "misguided" than they would join me in worshipping the Holy Skeleton (aka Hubie) daily, and ask him to forgive our basketball ignorances.
Old 09-27-05, 09:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

OK, tell me this TDA, WHY do you think Hubie sucks? Just list out the reasons.
Old 09-27-05, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Hubie is an outstanding NBA commentator. For hoops junkies, he really is the best at breaking down the games within the game. However, his commentary during the Finals was definitely slanted towards Detroit. Even my wife, who is a casual Spurs fan, asked who that guy was and why was he was crying about the Pistons so much. It definitely seemed to me that on most judgement calls, he saw things from a Detroit point of view. To be fair though, during his post-game comments, he did say that the best team won so I forgave him.
Old 09-27-05, 09:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
OK, tell me this TDA, WHY do you think Hubie sucks? Just list out the reasons.
In case you forgot my post in which I stated why. See MikeyD's post and that should pretty much refresh your memory.
Old 09-27-05, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

So you hate Hubie Brown because he wasn't giving the Spurs credit?
After all the great games Hubie Brown has given us (and I think you'd hgave to admit he was a damn good commentator until the finals), you're going to turn on him because of how you perceived him to be?
Can you allow the poosibility that you might have perceptions over what he said and didn't say might be a bit scewed since you obviously were dying to hear the national media fawn all over our team?
Old 09-27-05, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Q1-Yup.

Q2-I never thought he was that great to begin with. He basically began every analysis with his trademark "Now we now thaaaat blah, blah, blah. Frankly it was pretty annoying. Besides I don't think he was that more informative than your average color commentator. IMO, I think he just got this "amazingly informative commentator" rep because he was a good coach and is well respected around the NBA. And because of those things, some people just figured everything that comes out of his pie-hole is the gospel.

Q3-Nope.

BTW Carnac, I've concluded that you are either related to Hubie, or you are Hubie!!
Old 09-27-05, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yep, that's us Spurs fans.

Old 09-27-05, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

If you actually pay attention to what Hubie says, you'd know he's easily the most informative color guy in the business.

By the way, do ANY of you all ever listen to the excuses you make and store them in your heads?

Theory: Hubie Brown hates the Spurs because they eliminated his former team a year ago. You holds a grudge and decided to root for the Pistons in the finals.
Theory: The only reason Hubie Brown has a reputation for being a very informative announcer is because he was a respected coach?

Do you all really believe all this?
And this are just the theories in THIS thread!
Old 09-29-05, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes, I really believe all this. You think he's the greatest announcer ever, good for you. I don't, good for me. I'm tired of going around in circles with you. We'll just have to agree to disagree, because neither one of us is buying what the other is selling and never will.
Old 09-29-05, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Hubie's a great announcer. I just wish he wouldn't ignore the Spurs next time!

(Carnac right about now: )