News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-24-05, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

KG Bulkin Up, will play more PF

Kevin Garnett has been training his tender knees by running in sand in Malibu, Calif. The 7-footer, who has added muscle this summer and is up to a career-high 253 pounds, is expected to play more power forward than small forward this season. When Garnett was drafted by the Timberwolves in 1995, he weighed 210 pounds.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Well, how effective do y'all think he will be? Personally I think he sees TD, Amare,
Dirk, etc..... and may be thinking thats the position he should be playing to be successful.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nba/index.html

Last edited by stuffedmushroomz; 09-24-05 at 06:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-05, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Good question. He has always been more of a perimeter man then a banger in the post. But then again, he is KG. If he can adapt, keep on the block and not get the urge to wander this might be the necessary step that he needs to take in order to finally become a true leader and championship contender.

Way to go Kevin. I am happy and hope it works out for him.

-J.W.
Old 09-24-05, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

253?!?! Nice work KG, I hope it pays off.
Old 09-24-05, 06:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Great now he can pad his stats even more and maybe this new body type will help put more fear in his teamates .Big Cricket you are yesterdays news.You will never win a title because you lack the intangables to do it. Just go play NBA Live 2006 which comes out next week and enjoy your EA Sports world title so that will keep you from sheeding tears when you lose in real life.

Last edited by shaggy17; 09-24-05 at 06:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-05, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

that cant be right. nba.com has him at 220. i doubt he added 32 pounds in a couple months
Old 09-24-05, 06:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpuRRs21
that cant be right. nba.com has him at 220. i doubt he added 32 pounds in a couple months
Never under estimate the power of STEROIDS my friend!!!!
Old 09-24-05, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Playing in the post has a lot more to do with lower body strength, natural body type and the right skillset than with 'bulking up'. Believe me, it will barely have an impact.
Old 09-24-05, 07:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Like Manuac said, it's about a lot more than bulking up. If KG intends to become more of a low post player he better be working on how to attain (and keep) post position and some better post moves as well. I applaud KG for trying to better himself though. I know he's very competitive and it must be sickening for him having to watch Duncan win all the time lol. Perhaps he finally sees that playing like a 7 foot SG isn't going to get it done in this league.
Old 09-24-05, 07:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpuRRs21
They still have his rookie weight listed there - the NBA doesn't change a players height/weight listing very often. They used to list MJ as 6'6" 195 for years while it was obvious MJ was more in the 220 range.
Old 09-24-05, 07:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy17
Great now he can pad his stats even more and maybe this new body type will help put more fear in his teamates .Big Cricket you are yesterdays news.You will never win a title because you lack the intangables to do it. Just go play NBA Live 2006 which comes out next week and enjoy your EA Sports world title so that will keep you from sheeding tears when you lose in real life.

Old 09-24-05, 07:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Soup, I implore you, change your avatar before it's too late... you are becoming RichB!
Old 09-24-05, 08:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
Soup, I implore you, change your avatar before it's too late... you are becoming RichB!
Gaahh!
Old 09-24-05, 08:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
OMG i think its time people stop trying to tear KG down with that stupid argument that he pads his stats! When the hell did he ever do that? The time he got that triple double agtainst Denver in the playoffs, it was Flip who kept him in in the blowout. Thats the only time i can remember where he supposedly "padded his stats".
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 09-24-05, 08:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

O, play like TD style??
Old 09-24-05, 08:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
OMG...this avatar...something's happening to me!...I can't control it...

[RichB]What the HELL is wrong with you people!!?

Kevin Garnett is a brilliant basketball player - and if he were a Spur, you'd be jocking him 24/7.

But because he isn't, you have to tear down everything he does. Guess what - most of the other elite players aren't winning titles either, not just KG.

I can remember back in 1995 when Olajuwon dominated Robinson in the WCF - so are you going to bag on David for piling up stats and not winning??

Of course not - you're a bunch of homers. [/richb]
Old 09-24-05, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

KG was around 240 at the start of last season, so he gained 13 pounds, not 33.

Dammit, everyone's bulking up. JO got himself up to 260 last season. Kobe went up to 230. Heck, even Kwame Brown went up to 270. All without steroids

TD, don't rest on your laurels! Build some bulk!
Old 09-24-05, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
lol at first, I thought it was RichB replying.
Old 09-24-05, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
[RichB]
Stopped reading right there.
Old 09-24-05, 09:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

SR is getting infected by RichB's!

Old 09-24-05, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

LOL this thread is funny.

I can't wait to see Garnett next season
Old 09-24-05, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
OMG i think its time people stop trying to tear KG down with that stupid argument that he pads his stats! When the hell did he ever do that? The time he got that triple double against Denver in the playoffs, it was Flip who kept him in in the blowout. Thats the only time i can remember where he supposedly "padded his stats".
This link should answer your question: http://82games.com/comm14.htm

But I agree that some people in this thread are being too hard on him. He's an amazing player. One of the best in the league, but he's certainly NO Duncan.

I used to hate on KG too. It frustrated me that people would regularly claim he was better than Timmy. I hated it when people said Timmy didn't deserve that MVP. But at this point I just don't care. The competition is over. Duncan scored a clean knockout, and nobody person still believes KG is better(except for the guy who runs the Spurs blog).
Old 09-25-05, 01:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
SR is getting infected by RichB's!
Could be worse, y'know. It could be a rampant "Aaron" infection.
Old 09-25-05, 03:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Not sure that gaining weight is the panacea for tender knees. We'll see.
Old 09-25-05, 03:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i hope the skinny timmy comes out and dominates. AND limits minutes and wear on his knees.

And I wish the best on all other players who bulk up. - makes for better competition. and you homers need to cheer other teams more.
Old 09-25-05, 05:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That's interesting. Maybe his weight gain is in his legs rather then his upper body because the pics show he still looked pretty thin when he visited to help with Hurricane Katrina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod

KG

Here are two of them.
Old 09-25-05, 06:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Heaven forbid players work to improve the game they love to play.
Old 09-25-05, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz
is expected to play more power forward than small forward this season
huh? kg doesn't play the 3 anymore .. maybe during his late teens, he did

2005 NBA CHAMPS!
Old 09-25-05, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

4down has morphed into RichB!!!!!!!

Montgod, can't really see anything in that photo.
Old 09-25-05, 04:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod
That's interesting. Maybe his weight gain is in his legs rather then his upper body because the pics show he still looked pretty thin when he visited to help with Hurricane Katrina.

Here are two of them.
Keep it in perspective. KG is a solid seven footer. I saw him for a game in the first round series a few years ago against the Lakers and I tell you this... He may be as tall as Shaq (7'1") but his lack of build made it hard to compare.

Anyways, the perspective of which I am talking about is that even if KG gained 15-30 pounds, you spread that out over a 7'1" frame and it is really not going to be all that noticeable. Especially in those photos which show him wearing clothes that are hiding his physique.

-J.W.
Old 09-25-05, 05:13 PM
MomBear

ok that's enough RichB bashing... keep on the subject or this thread will be locked.

Old 09-25-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I don't care Wolves will not make the playoffs!