News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-04, 12:05 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

OFFICIAL SPURS VS LAKERS BATTLE THREAD

It's on now. This game should give a peek as to how prepared the TEAM is while doing battle with the Fantastic 4 plus 1.

I'm choosing TEAM.

Lets go Spurs. BE RELENTLESS

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-04, 12:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its hard to predict this one, but I'll just say this. If the spurs want to win, I think it will have to be due to bench play. And i would also like to see Manu and Parker use their speed to get by their defenders. This will no doubt be a good one. LETS GO SPURS!!!

Spurs 91
Lakers 89
14-Time All-Defensive Team
5-Time NBA Champion
3-Time NBA Finals MVP
2-Time NBA MVP

And Still Going...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-04, 12:10 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

It's all about Defense baby!!! Pop says so.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-03-04, 12:12 AM

If the Spurs come out and play there game......

We will win this game....

I want to see a war on Sunday....

I can not wait!!!!!!
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 04-03-04, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I don't do prediction, but I'd say this: if we get blown away by the Lakers the season could be in danger. Yes it's just one regular season game, but the mental disadvantage of being swept and being overmatch and being stuck at 4th seed could be too much to overcome.
Old 04-03-04, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i dunno guys... this entire season we're 0-3 on big statement games:

---Game 3 vs. LA (To avenge the horrible loss at Staples)
---Game 4 vs. Minny (Could have taken MWD lead)
---Game 3 vs. Sac (We could have beaten a solid team w/o TD...and I believe we had a winning streak going into this one too)

I REALLY hope we can pull this one off.... I think by far this is the most crucial game of the season. Not just cuz it's the lakers, but it's a chance to really give the spurs a lift going into the playoffs. Has anyone else noticed that all season long, the spurs really haven't been able to go on a good run? (besides the one earlier this December where they pulled off that 13 game win streak) It's either been a horrible performance in one game or someone getting injured.

Well, this is the game I feel that will propell the spurs to that next level if they can win it. I know it sounds harsh, but I think that many of our championship hopes rest on whether or not the spurs can win this one. They HAVE to show that they are for real.

If all goes well, Spurs 95 Lakers 89.
If everything goes bad, Spurs 89 Lakers 106
Old 04-03-04, 12:23 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
I don't do prediction, but I'd say this: if we get blown away by the Lakers the season could be in danger. Yes it's just one regular season game, but the mental disadvantage of being swept and being overmatch and being stuck at 4th seed could be too much to overcome.
Always the voice of optimism

The separation is only 2 games and beating the Lakers gets 1/2 back.

There is still some season left and on any given day, the seedings will change due to 1 outcome or another. I'm looking for fire, passion, and competition at it's highest levels. If they lose-I'm feeling that they will win a close one-I'm okay with it as long as they were in it the entire way. Remember, we've been hearing how dominant they've been of late. Quietly, we've kept pace all the while saving Tim from playing heavy minutes and increased the scoring output by limiting TIM. Imagine that.

TEAM BABY....The system is the great equalizer. We'll see how each team's styles make this game.

Old 04-03-04, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
I think putting that much into this game is simply ridiculous

no matter how much "hype" is on this game its still a regular season game

Its not going to determine how well SA does in the playoffs. Its not going to determine the championship as a few people were claiming around here the other day

Its not going to determine if SA can beat LA in the playoffs or vice versa

big game..yes...but not one that determines the outcome of this years playoffs

Quote:
i dunno guys... this entire season we're 0-3 on big statement games:

---Game 3 vs. LA (To avenge the horrible loss at Staples)
---Game 4 vs. Minny (Could have taken MWD lead)
---Game 3 vs. Sac (We could have beaten a solid team w/o TD...and I believe we had a winning streak going into this one too)
Um...the Spurs have won statement games this year. They have blown out both Minny and Sac at times this season. They have lost some games to LA without having a full cast

These games really dont mean Jack come playoff time.

I really cant see why people put so much into a regular season game to suggest it could determine their championship chances

its pure BS. Its a big game because if the hype and close division race

but doesnt determine anything as far as who will win in this years playoffs

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that all season long, the spurs really haven't been able to go on a good run? (besides the one earlier this December where they pulled off that 13 game win streak) It's either been a horrible performance in one game or someone getting injured.
the Spurs have been playing this best b-ball since before the All Star break

they have won 5 in a row down the stretch right now.

I dont see how they are not on some sort of a run right now. they certainly are not playing up one night and down the other right now.
Old 04-03-04, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I think putting that much into this game is simply ridiculous

no matter how much "hype" is on this game its still a regular season game

Its not going to determine how well SA does in the playoffs. Its not going to determine the championship as a few people were claiming around here the other day

Its not going to determine if SA can beat LA in the playoffs or vice versa

big game..yes...but not one that determines the outcome of this years playoffs

Um...the Spurs have won statement games this year. They have blown out both Minny and Sac at times this season. They have lost some games to LA without having a full cast

These games really dont mean Jack come playoff time.

I really cant see why people put so much into a regular season game to suggest it could determine their championship chances

its pure BS. Its a big game because if the hype and close division race

but doesnt determine anything as far as who will win in this years playoffs

like i said, i think this is the kind of game where if you win, u can get a lot of momentum going into the playoffs...and that definately plays a role in determining who the champion wiill be
Old 04-03-04, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

what's there to predict.
if u're a spurs fan, u pick the spurs,....lakers fans pick the lakers...
b/c both teams are healthy and going at full guns.

so lets play some ball. (or i guess watch some...)
Old 04-03-04, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJNXN
like i said, i think this is the kind of game where if you win, u can get a lot of momentum going into the playoffs...and that definately plays a role in determining who the champion wiill be
Yeah it would be nice for confidence...but I simply do not buy that regular season games determine playoff outcomes

I think the Spurs will win this game...but If they didnt I cant see this group getting crushed and losing it for the playoffs all over this game

the Spurs are playing well right now. Win or lose...this game isnt going to determine who wins a laker/Spurs series
Old 04-03-04, 12:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

In 1999, we were 1-2 against the Lakers during the season. That 1-2 turned into a 4-0 playoff sweep.
In 2003, we were 1-3 against Phoenix during the season. That 1-3 turned into 4-2 playoff win.
We can certainly win Sunday, and I think we will - but if you're going to win the championship, head to head doesn't mean that much.

To put it another way, we were 5-1 against Houston in 1995....

Dizz is right...these games don't mean jack
Old 04-03-04, 12:40 AM

We are 1-3 against Grizz. That does not mean anything in the playoffs. It's about momentum going into the playoffs more than season matchup records.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-03-04, 12:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs 94
Lakers 85

"How bout them Spurs!!"
Old 04-03-04, 12:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs have shown no indication this year that they can beat the Lakers. As a fan, if they don't win Sunday, I'll have a hard time picking them over the Lakers in the playoffs.
Old 04-03-04, 01:12 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Will the sky fall in if we lose....no.
But to call this just a regular season game is disingenuous.

We played these guys first to a 2OT w/o Tim and Tony against their early streak and all their HOFers. We then played two quickie games all in the first 5 weeks of the season. The worst scheduling done to two premier teams by the NBA I can remember. We stand 0-3 against these no depth old geezers. who recently think they invented defensive basketball. This game means something, the outcome which won't be determined till after we win the Championship.

Well, everybody's pretty healthy and both teams are on streaks. This is the real rubber match.

They are at home close to their tubs of Ben Gay, we're away in indian country. They'll have home cooking in more ways than one and we'll get room service. They're past tense and we're the future. This game is about making a statement.
I don't like these arrogant Lakers who feel the LOB trophy is an entitlement owed rather than earned. It'll take more than 4/5 HOFers to make this SA team cry.

So let's quit the pretending that this is just another regular season game. No it's not the biggest game. It's about our Spurs and those purple and yellow ****heads. Enuff said.

It's time to remind them that at least they are going to have to come through SA to take it. Go Spurs!!!!!

Last edited by JWest; 04-03-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-03-04, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

and the lakers were 0-4 last year against you guys and look how that turned out.

lakers: 98
spurs: 88

spurs 0-4 vs lakers this season.
Old 04-03-04, 01:55 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by backthaazzup
and the lakers were 0-4 last year against you guys and look how that turned out.

Yes, what happened last year was It turned out to be a Spurs championship.

Although you're wishing for revisionist history that culminates in four straight for that team that shares a building with the clippers, the fact won't change that the Spurs own the LOB trophy now and will continue to keep it...

Your above prediction will be proved wrong, just as your expectations for last year were also wrong. "You" need to backyouraazup and recognize that the Black & Silver will take down the lakers Sunday and in the playoffs if ellay is lucky to make it to the conference finals as I see the Spurs getting the final Midwest title and a top seed...
Though the media loves glitzy, glamourous ellay, the team they don't like to talk about because none of them gravy train for a ring, go to trial, display arrogance and disdain, will put everyone in the L on notice, the road to the championship does go through the Paseo del Rio....
Go ahead, continue to "not" feature the Spurs, but you better damn well RESPECT them..... Come Sunday, I will love to hear how the lakers lost that game from every media angle possible. I will relish in how no one will cover how the Spurs just took the game and played better.... Imagine that.....
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."Ł
~Hannibal~

Last edited by Joe Tango from San Diego; 04-03-04 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-03-04, 01:58 AM
SR Starlette

It's a really important game, and the Spurs know it. If they play as well as they did against Minnesota last time (yeah I know they lost... but it was ) then they can definitely take home that W. Rasho needs to do as much as he can against Shaq and we need to see lots of penetration from Tony. Manu should also burn his defenders with his athleticism and pull off another breathtaking performance. A whole lot of pieces have to fall into place for the Spurs to be victorious... either that or the depend on the FakeShow going into a coma.
Old 04-03-04, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backthaazzup

and 2 games, Shaq didn't play in. I didnt count those so it was only 2-0 for Spurs.

It wasn't like Spurs didn't have to work hard for those games. 3 Laker vrs Spurs games before Dec 18th.......very weird scheduling.

Opponents have averaged 87.1 ppg in the last 10 games. Pretty good defense to me. Games which Tim didn't play in.

Last edited by Grego; 04-03-04 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-03-04, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Not must win, but . . .

Spurs cannot get "rolled" like Sacto and Minny did in L.A. a few games ago. Losing a hard fought road game won't hurt us (except, maybe, deny us #1 seed), but getting blown out will damage psyche ala 2001.

A win, OTOH, pops the Faker bubble and, if Kobe takes 30 shots in a loss, could start the bickering anew. The Spurs will have the confidence from a win in L.A. to negate any pschological advantages the Fakers would have from their earlier wins.
Old 04-03-04, 07:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs 99
Lakers 87
Old 04-03-04, 07:26 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
But to call this just a regular season game is disingenuous.
But it is just a regular season game. Its not a playoff game where the loser goes home or goes down in a playoff series.

Its important to play well and win in terms of playoff position...of course

but this game does not determine which team would win a playoff series against each other

it doesnt determine who will win the championship

None of these game mean much of anything come playoff time
Old 04-03-04, 07:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodTango
Always the voice of optimism

The separation is only 2 games and beating the Lakers gets 1/2 back.

There is still some season left and on any given day, the seedings will change due to 1 outcome or another. I'm looking for fire, passion, and competition at it's highest levels. If they lose-I'm feeling that they will win a close one-I'm okay with it as long as they were in it the entire way. Remember, we've been hearing how dominant they've been of late. Quietly, we've kept pace all the while saving Tim from playing heavy minutes and increased the scoring output by limiting TIM. Imagine that.

TEAM BABY....The system is the great equalizer. We'll see how each team's styles make this game.
Agreed .. My sentiments exactly .... Let's be optimistic !!! DANG !!!
Old 04-03-04, 08:17 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs shall make a statment and come back home winners come Sunday night and we shall go to the airport to greet them when they arrive.

Why?

1) The first 3 games Spurs had either injuries esp Tony Parker and he is the BIGGEST MOST IMPORTANT KEY for the Spurs to win any game what about the Lakers game. So these games just literaly didn't count.

2) Offense was running through Manu when TD was out along with Parker and we took them to OT and barely lost lol, then when TD and TP was back simply our bench did not exist and Rasho Tim and Parker were in foul trouble plus we were just not meshed together yet, second and third time Manu was a turnover machine and our bench sucked and they outrebounded us simply Rasho disappeard we just were in a mess...

Now when Pop is doing the gang offense Lakers CAN NOT defend against because TD can not be doubled so other Spurs WILL burn them badly especialy Hedo and Manu....

3) Rose used to not show up but recently he is playing much better. So is Rasho. Horry had always played awesome but he needs to rest also.

4) Spurs are usualy notoriously slow starters so they usualy don't do well first half and that was a killing schedule... Lol @ the scheduling people....

5) The Hedo factor is growing with confidense to spread the floor and ease up the Tim Duncan TP and Manu effect.

6) The emerging Devil Brown effect is becoming so huge that is becoming a great help off the bench. I heard Phillip Jackson admiring him recently "Hmmm they got that Devin Brown off the bench that kid got game!!!!"

What does that tell you all, they are scared of meeting us cause in the back of their minds they still remember we were the team to knock them off last playoff, believe me they fear only the Spurs because we are a very good defensive team and Pop is for real people.

I say Spurs go down there finish up this game with vingint get the W and get their @sses back home.

I am very positive Spurs will win. Patience people, we are the defending champs.

Only diference this season is Malone and Payton and last I checked TP outplayed Payton in the Playoffs and Malone is owned between TD and Rose.

AS LONG AS Kobe can be slowed by Bowen and Manu and maybe D Brown Spurs shall domiate.

In the meantime Shaq can be sent to the free throw all day long and sometimes defended by the gangs of TD Malik KWillis and Horry. But TD needs to do what he did last year in the playoff when going to defend Shaq...

Fox we need to keep him in check too but realy who else is to check.

Spurs will win come Sunday I know Pop is putting a great killer plan and watching tapes it is not even funny...

Spurs CAN and WILL do it.

Spurs 95
Lakers 87

Go Spurs deffending Champs Go

TIME TO GET EVEN LET'S GO SPURS

Lakers Spurs
Old 04-03-04, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I predict Manu goes absolutely pshyco! Tony outplays Glove, and Shaq will say something extremely idiotic so we have another reason to make fun of him. Oh, and I predict that the analysts will go with the Fakers..surprise, surprise.
Old 04-03-04, 08:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

this game is in a colision of epic porportion. Refs will dictate the game and how court may be a factor tomorrow but i expect better production from parker tomorrow.
go Spurs!
Old 04-03-04, 09:09 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 103
Lakers 96
Old 04-03-04, 09:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Just win baby...
Old 04-03-04, 09:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
We played these guys first to a 2OT w/o Tim and Tony against their early streak and all their HOFers. We then played two quickie games all in the first 5 weeks of the season. The worst scheduling done to two premier teams by the NBA I can remember. We stand 0-3 against these no depth old geezers. who recently think they invented defensive basketball. This game means something,
Yeah, those first two were jokes. Honestly who cares what the score was for a game before February. February is when games start meaning something. I'm not trying to discredit those first two wins by the Lakers, but if Laker fans or the Lakers believe that the Spurs are the same team they played in November then they're kidding themselves.

Refs will set the tone as always when you play in Staples. (both the Clippers and the Lakers have the most free throw attempts in the NBA...hmmm)

Shaq will be a monster, Duncan won't....and we'll need to have a high level of play from Hedo, Manu and Parker to win. (let's hope I'm wrong)

Lakers 97
Spurs 92
Old 04-03-04, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
But it is just a regular season game. Its not a playoff game where the loser goes home or goes down in a playoff series.

Its important to play well and win in terms of playoff position...of course

but this game does not determine which team would win a playoff series against each other

it doesnt determine who will win the championship

None of these game mean much of anything come playoff time
DizzG, I do agree with your argument that this game will not
make or break either team come playoff time.
However, due to the unusual scheduling for the matchups between
these 2 teams, neither team really knows at this point in the season
what the other is like to go up against.
This gives both teams the oportunity to hone in on their weaknesses
and strengths against each other without having to sacrifice the
first game of their possible playoff series experimenting with matchups.
Old 04-03-04, 11:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This will be close. I see the Spurs controlling the entire game, and withstanding a late Kobe Bryant clutch 4th quarter. Manu needs to come up clutch in the 4th, or the whole game for that matter. He is the X-factor! Perhaps a near triple/double for him. Huge scoring game from Parker too.

Spurs 99
Lakers 96

!!Go Spurs Go!!

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 04-03-04, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Its very important for the Spurs not to get in a big hole early on because it will be very tough to get out, if you know what I mean. I predict early foul trouble for Rasho and Bruce and a free throw parade for the Lackers.
Old 04-03-04, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I predict Horry hitting the game winning 3 at the buzzer at the same exact spot he hit the game winning shot against the Kings
Old 04-03-04, 12:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

huge game

If you don't put alot into this game, you don't know basketball. This is going to be a playoff intensity basketball game that could bury the spurs mentally or could be a slap in the face of the league's hottest team. This is going to be a war, and I for one am ready to see the lakers get their ass handed to their smug faces.
Old 04-03-04, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs will win! 99-89
Old 04-03-04, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Go spurs!!
we need to remind everyone that we are a force to be reckoned with too not just L.A......
i expect manu, hedo, tony, and timmy to have big games. i think malik and horry will also bring a spark off the bench. horry will now be known as a laker killer
Old 04-03-04, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The only way to win this game is to simply play like we have been lately. Tony, Manu, and Devin penetrate. Hedo and Bruce hit their outside shots. Rasho plays at least decent defense on Shaq (hold him to ~20 points). Bruce makes Kobe shoot a low %. And Tim has to be Tim.

That's how we'll win.

Oh yeah... low turnovers and a decent FT% will help as well.
Old 04-03-04, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

With Malone back, our starters are overmatched. If they can keep it close and go at Shaq on the offensive end to get him in foul trouble I think our clearly stronger bench can make up the shortfall and get the Spurs the W. Hart, Ginobli, Brown, Rose and Horry can play an aggressive up tempo game in contrast to the starters' emphasis on half court play while still providing strong perimeter defense.
Old 04-03-04, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

LAKERS have a notoriously weak bench...
SPURS have one of the best benches in the league.

It all comes down to who plays their strength.
LA is on a roll...and they are hard to beat when they
have the rush of arrogance flowing...but there is only one
team in the NBA that is equipped to turn the cold hose on
the LAKE show...that's our SPURS.

The starters have to keep us close and the bench has to pull us away.
Tony has to be on his game...Rasho has to play gutsy in the paint...
Bruce has to stay in Kobes face...and Hedo has to contribute.

In fact, this game is tailor made for Hedo to go off.

Mark Twain
Old 04-03-04, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs may lose, but Spurs fans will always have the refs to blame.
Old 04-03-04, 03:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel
Spurs may lose, but Spurs fans will always have the refs to blame.
Old 04-03-04, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkertoduncan
If you don't put alot into this game, you don't know basketball. This is going to be a playoff intensity basketball game that could bury the spurs mentally or could be a slap in the face of the league's hottest team. This is going to be a war, and I for one am ready to see the lakers get their ass handed to their smug faces.

My thoughts exactly. Good post. Mentally, I feel the Lakers could recover from a loss tomorrow moreso than the Spurs. A win will build great confidence for a potential playoff heavyweight matchup. I hope we whip their a$$!!

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 04-03-04, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
If you don't put alot into this game, you don't know basketball.
putting a lot into the game is one thing

thinking this game will determine the championship, if SA can beat LA in the playoffs, or how the Spurs do in general in the playoffs is totally different

This game doesnt determine any of that
Old 04-03-04, 06:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

^ of course it will not determine the championshipo,...
the 7 games series' during the playoffs determine the championshipo. and this game doesn't count towards it.

but it will definitely be a preview of whats to come!
Old 04-03-04, 07:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs win. Big.
Old 04-03-04, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I predict a Lakers win. Not a blowout, but a win.

Lakers play great at home.
Old 04-03-04, 09:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Laker's suck ..
Old 04-03-04, 10:32 PM
HorryisBLACK!

i say horry will win it at the buzzer...........w/ a three pointer
Old 04-03-04, 11:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It will come down to how the game is officiated. Do the refs let Shaq bulldoze his way with the only calls going against our bigs? Do the refs let the celebs influence the officiating? Do they call it tight on Bowen? This is what dictates whether the Spurs win or not. I say, Tony has to be aggressive, but smart. I look for Malone to play like a school yard bully. Elbows, hard fouls with intention of hurting someone. Gary Peyton will be the usual trash talking loser. And please Bruce, do not turn your back on Kobe. It has already been proven that if you turn your back on him .... well the jury is still out but....................