News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-05, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nick Van Exel - Our New Backup point guard - Official

My sources say NVE was spotted here in town with a Spurs trainer around 15 min. ago... They say he was getting his physical and possibly an MRI...

Sig by Grego the Master Creator
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-05, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

That would be excellent news if it is substantiated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-05, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

not gonna happen

pipe dream would be nve and finley...id rather have findog
Old 08-29-05, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorray
My sources say NVE was spotted here in town with a Spurs trainer around 15 min. ago... They say he was getting his physical and possibly an MRI...

Man, thats not cool if your are ing us..
Old 08-29-05, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeToDuncan
not gonna happen

I dunno if this is true or not but I dont think NVE is unrealistic...his options are limited
Old 08-29-05, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I also saw the Coyote riding in Santa's sleigh last Christmas.
Old 08-29-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeToDuncan
not gonna happen

I cant wait til it does.
Old 08-29-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I dunno if this is true or not but I dont think NVE is unrealistic...his options are limited
If he only wants to play for a Texas team, yup, they are.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-29-05, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I cannot see us landing Finley and NVE. And if I had to choose, I would rather have Finley.
Old 08-29-05, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan20
Man, thats not cool if your are ing us..
spursfan, no b.s. here... He was seen at the Huebner Medical Bldg. where Spurs Dr.s are located... actually my source even overheard some talk about if NVE would be able to handle the Spurs new inclined stairs workout at the practice facility...

Old 08-29-05, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
I also saw the Coyote riding in Santa's sleigh last Christmas.
Old 08-29-05, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
can i ask who your sources are????????? do we need anythign bogus story floating here???? please tell me you have some credible sources? spurs employees? friends?
Old 08-29-05, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I remember Nick the Quick of old killing us in the Western Conference Finals back in 2003. Not the same player but a solid backup point guard who could handle the ball under pressure...unlike Beno. That's not to bash Beno though I still like him and think he is and will be a good ballplayer.
Old 08-29-05, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
spursfan, no b.s. here... He was seen at the Huebner Medical Bldg. where Spurs Dr.s are located... actually my source even overheard some talk about if NVE would be able to handle the Spurs new inclined stairs workout at the practice facility...
Well, it does sound about right... Dr. Schmidts office is in that facility. Interesting....

Amente, anything to this? Do you know somthing that we dont know?
Old 08-29-05, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern lights
can i ask who your sources are????????? do we need anythign bogus story floating here???? please tell me you have some credible sources? spurs employees? friends?
Yo, bro, calm down... My time is too valuable to be on this site startin' rumors. I'm a Spurs fan just like you are and I appreciate all the TRUE info that is put on here, especially Amente's. I just thought I could contribute a little info myself...

Old 08-29-05, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

NVE would be a great addition as a backup pg. He wouldn't play a great role during the regular season, but come play off time he will be clutch.
Old 08-29-05, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i like it. i'm expecting big things. can you imagine landing nicky van smack and finley in a two day period?

and think about the kind of lineup we would be able to throw out there when we need a clutch hoop late in the game: van exel, gino, finley, horry, duncan. how many game winners has that group hit collectively over the years?
Old 08-29-05, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Senor Ray may be right.

That's all I'll say.
Old 08-29-05, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I hope it's true, NVE would be great
Old 08-29-05, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Senor Ray may be right.

That's all I'll say.

I dont know how to take this.. Does this mean that finley has already informed the spurs on his decision and the spurs went ahead and went in another direction or can a Finley and NVE combo actually happen?

Last edited by spursfan20; 08-29-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Senor Ray may be right.

That's all I'll say.
Amente, I love you...

P.S. Can I change my name to Mini-Amente?

Last edited by senorray; 08-29-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Senor Ray may be right.

That's all I'll say.

It's all i need (for now)
Old 08-29-05, 02:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

I dont know how to take this.. Does this mean that finley has already informed the spurs on his decision and the spurs went ahead and went in another direction or can a Finley and NVE combo actually happen?
that's my question!
Old 08-29-05, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well, it would be sweet to get both. Nick has already said its not about money at all.

And Finley and Nick did play together on the Mavs...

Wow it would be amazing to get either, but an absolute ridiculous coup de grace to get both!
Old 08-29-05, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Before anything the Spurs have to make sure that
NVE is physically able to play.
Old 08-29-05, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
If he's able to play it's a lock the Spurs will sign him?
Old 08-29-05, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

In some ways, I think I'd rather have NVE.

Finley is the better player and fills a bigger need on the Spurs but NVE is great in the clutch. He's a guy you really want to see on the floor in crunch time during the playoffs.

If we get either one, I'll be quite happy.
Old 08-29-05, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Either way, if we sign fin, nick or both i can't wait to play dallas next season just to see their fans destroyed by the fact that 1 or 2 of the best players from that 03 team, their best team by the way, are now spurs!
Old 08-29-05, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

NVE would be a great addition to the bench...hope it happens
Old 08-29-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Amente?
Old 08-29-05, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I doubt this has something to do with Finley saying no

I think the Spurs have been thinking about NVE for awhile...and his options over the past few weeks on teams that meet his criteria have dried up except for SA

he isnt looking for a big deal
Old 08-29-05, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

My guess, the Spurs are speaking with NVE and intend to make him an offer regardless of what happens with Finley. Of course, if Finley comes to SA, then the NVE offer would have to be for the Vets minimum.
Old 08-29-05, 03:11 PM

Quote:

How about this.... could this influence Finley to go ahead and come here???? You know...stacking players like Miami... Maybe Pop mentioned it among his "plugs" to Finley... you never know....
Old 08-29-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Wow. This is big if it happens. I don't post often, especially in the summer, so WOW. If the Spurs happen to land NVE and Finley they have to strike even more fear into the NBA. Not yet, but big ups to the FO if this happens, I will be simply amazed and even more excited for the season to begin.
Old 08-29-05, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahoopster
Wow. This is big if it happens. I don't post often, especially in the summer, so WOW. If the Spurs happen to land NVE and Finley they have to strike even more fear into the NBA. Not yet, but big ups to the FO if this happens, I will be simply amazed and even more excited for the season to begin.
Tell me about it, sahoopster... I'm with you in the post dept., but when i heard the news, i had chicken pimples all over just thinking about that scenario.....

Old 08-29-05, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Tell me about it, sahoopster... I'm with you in the post dept., but when i heard the news, i had chicken pimples all over just thinking about that scenario.....
Old 08-29-05, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

IT would be a dream come true to have both but i would rather have Finley. But ill take em both
SpursReport Team Member

I dont see where this would be a surprise. He stated he would like to play in Texas with a contender. I have constantly been keeping track of potential NVE suitors and their roster availability like Dallas and Houston in which they both have full rosters. Denver has lately been talking about signing Spreewell and basically pushing NVE to the bottom of their list. This would be an awesome move for the Spurs and think excitement should be the feeling as opposed to surprise if its true.
SpursReport Rookie

If the Spurs actually sign NVE to the veterans minimum salary does that count against the luxury cap?
Old 08-29-05, 03:36 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I've always been a NVE fan, he would be a great influence on the team.....He only wants to win...
Old 08-29-05, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahoopster
Yeah, it's simply huge if it pans out.

The Spurs will still play the game the right way, the way they play and the style that wins them champions. The difference between a Spurs stacked roster from a Heat stacked roster, is nobody on the Spurs will ***** at their teammates to throw them the ball all the time, only when it matters the most, and when they do what they do in the style and context of their play and system.

This is a scary scenario because everybody knows how unselfish this whole team is, and how Timmy, Manu and Tony, always finds you.

I have no doubts that this would work, the Spurs are the Spurs, but with NVE and Finley, this Spurs team would be unbeatable on most nights if not all the time.

No hype, you take a championship roster and tweak it minorly with two proven veteran leaders in NVE and Finley, what you have is an F5 tornado.
Old 08-29-05, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehorn
If the Spurs actually sign NVE to the veterans minimum salary does that count against the luxury cap?
I believe that it does count.

Even when over the cap, teams can always sign players to the minimum. If the team is over the luxury tax, than this signing would cost twice the value of the actual contract.

This is the reason I think the Spurs may look to move either Barry or Rasho if they can do so without taking on similar contracts.
Old 08-29-05, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

another left handed creating/three point threat on the Spurs, with Beno and Manu, would be kinda nice.
Old 08-29-05, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wonder how well Finley and NVE got along in Dallas. Maybe NVE to the Spurs could help sway Finleys decision.
Old 08-29-05, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
I wonder how well Finley and NVE got along in Dallas. Maybe NVE to the Spurs could help sway Finleys decision.
I've been wondering the same thing. this could potentially have huge ramifications on Finley's choice.
Old 08-29-05, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Exactly my sentiments! Hopefully, NVE was just suffering from "Mourning-itis" last year instead of truly being hurt
Old 08-29-05, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
I wonder how Horry and NVE got along in LA and wonder how that affects NVE decision. I think they were on the same team for like a year or a year and a half in LA and it was a while back but Horry could have talked to NVE about coming here.
Old 08-29-05, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I talked with a friend of mine just a few minutes ago who played in a tourney in Louisiana with NVE and said he looked good, he didn't look hurt at all and was dropping treys on people. This person did tell me though that afterward he had ice on his knees and his ankle. Obviously, the NBA is a lot different than some summer tourney and I am not a doctor, but it is still a good indicator that he is ok.
Old 08-29-05, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

NVE would be a solid addition. I'm all for getting him after signing a wing spot player wheather its Devin Brown or Michael Finley.
Old 08-29-05, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Don't the Spurs still have the LLE to offer Nick?

Oberto, Fin, NVE, and Devin would be a great offseason.

Might not get all three but that would make for lots of possibilities.