Old 08-26-05, 01:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs

Link

Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs

Web Posted: 08/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

Having completed their pilgrimage to Michael Finley's home turf, officially joining the list of championship contenders vying for the coveted free agent's services, the Spurs head into yet another weekend ready to resume a familiar pastime.

Waiting.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich met with Finley in Chicago on Thursday, but a conclusion to the courtship isn't considered imminent. Finley, the 32-year-old swingman waived by Dallas earlier this month, will entertain representatives from Minnesota today. He then is expected to spend the next several days considering his options, which also include Miami and Phoenix.

"He's going to take the weekend to compare and contrast everything he heard, then figure out which situation will be the best for him," said Henry Thomas, Finley's agent. "I think the Spurs are right in there."

While the Spurs remain serious competitors in the Finley sweepstakes, they aren't the favorites. The Heat still own that designation, due mainly to their offer of a full $5million salary-cap exception. The Spurs have $2.5million available, while the Suns have just $1.1million.

But Thomas reiterated Thursday that Finley's decision won't be based on financial considerations alone, as his client still has $51.8million owed to him by the Mavericks. Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.

"They've got a lot of things going for them," Thomas said. "The most obvious being that they just won a championship."

The Spurs are set to bring back most of the team responsible for winning that title — their only offseason addition thus far has been Argentine center Fabricio Oberto — but they would like to add a shooting guard or small forward to come off the bench.

Finley, who has had knee problems but shot 41 percent from 3-point range last season, would appear to be a perfect fit for that role. But if he elects to go to a team that can offer him more money or a higher-profile role, the Spurs won't have to look too far for a backup plan.

Devin Brown, the Spurs' restricted free agent, has yet to sign an offer sheet even though his agent insists he's generating interest from several teams. Utah met with Brown earlier this month, but the Spurs have the inside track to retain him because they have seven days to match any outside offer he receives.

Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, has maintained Brown wants to stay with the Spurs and hasn't grown impatient by the team's flirtation with Finley.

"Devin understands the situation. He understands the process," Powell said. "He's fine with it. We still have a decent amount of teams calling. We hope when this Michael Finley thing goes down, things will start moving."

Also Thursday, the Spurs officially unveiled their plans to move this year's training camp to the U.S. Virgin Islands, the homeland of Tim Duncan. The team will train for a week at the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas beginning Oct.4.

[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-05, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We've been waiting all summer dangit. Damn you Finley.
Old 08-26-05, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

GREAT ODEN'S RAVEN!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-05, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Finley, Finley, Finley

If this guy doesn't sign with the Spurs, he is crazy. Besides, it has to be very, very tempting for him to play with a team as great as the Spurs are. I think that Miami may have tons of problems with their team chemistry, with the Spurs, the chemistry is already in place, waiting for you to join in. It's all up to Fin now........ and I think the salary would be worth it for him alone, a chance to help the Spurs repeat as champions, and you get to go and play Dallas a few times, and maybe the playoffs. Nothing sweeter than seeing the look on Mark Cuban's face when he sees you playing for the Spurs.
Old 08-26-05, 02:56 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

HIs role might be a little bit better in Miami, but they are pretty filled up with depth as well with

1/2:
Williams
Wade

3:
Posey
Walker(since Haslem will still probably start)

And then some rookies that might be promising.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-26-05, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he goes to Miami because of the cash, but I agree with bc11oc - he really should come to San Antonio.

It really depends on how big his ego is. If he won't come off the bench, then he'll choose to go to Miami or Minny, where he could start. If he really wants to win, he'll come to San Antoinio.

But I ain't worried - we'll win it all in 2006 with or without Finley.
Old 08-26-05, 03:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

His Agent's comments make it sound very Encouraging!!!

Its NOT hard to sell The Spurs and POP's straight to the point approach may just be

what Finley wants to hear.

Lets be real, Maimi really isn't going to have all those posters of Finley up there even
if he does sign with them. The Marquee guys are Shaq & Wade so putting up all
those poster of him in a Heat Uni is a desperate attempt to sway his Ego into signing.
Old 08-26-05, 03:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Seriously i have this deep down gut feeling Finley will sign with the spurs.Im really getting that vibe.
Old 08-26-05, 03:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan21
Seriously i have this deep down gut feeling Finley will sign with the spurs.Im really getting that vibe.
Mark my words he isnt coming here. If I am somehow on this green earth wrong, repost this .
Old 08-26-05, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz
His Agent's comments make it sound very Encouraging!!!
Agents always make it sound nice. Don't take it for face value.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-26-05, 05:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan21
i do too also...
Old 08-26-05, 05:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If the Spurs sign Finley, does anyone else agree that Barry should be backup PG and Finley backup SG/SF? With Barry having lost his athleticism, he looked way better as a PG than as a SG imo. (I know it's not the first time I say this.)
Old 08-26-05, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
If the Spurs sign Finley, does anyone else agree that Barry should be backup PG and Finley backup SG/SF? With Barry having lost his athleticism, he looked way better as a PG than as a SG imo. (I know it's not the first time I say this.)
When he played point, he was still at a swing position. In the Spurs system, you can handle the ball and still not be the offical point.

Old 08-26-05, 06:22 AM
The Master Baiter

It's hard to say what Finley is thinking about at this point. If it's truly about winning a ring, then the Spurs would be the logical choice. Even with Finley in Miami, they are not a lock. There are too many unknowns, too many new players and new questions. With the Spurs he would be an addition to virtually the same team that won it all last year. As far as playing time, it seems like he would actually take some time from Bowen and probably Barry. Bowen and Finley would be the perfect combo for the SF position.
Old 08-26-05, 06:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab
It's hard to say what Finley is thinking about at this point. If it's truly about winning a ring, then the Spurs would be the logical choice. Even with Finley in Miami, they are not a lock. There are too many unknowns, too many new players and new questions. With the Spurs he would be an addition to virtually the same team that won it all last year. As far as playing time, it seems like he would actually take some time from Bowen and probably Barry. Bowen and Finley would be the perfect combo for the SF position.
Exactly miami has new players a new team new system and to many egos would Finley fell comforatable around that? San Antonio just won the championship and still has the same team and great chemistry and no egos and im sure Finley would like to remain in texas and im sure Pop told him he would get lots of playing time even if he comes off the bench.Money is not a issue with Finley even his agent said that and his former team dallas is still going to pay him millions of dollars.I think Finley is leaning towards the spurs.
Old 08-26-05, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't dream. Finley will not come to SA for sure. Let's concentrate on finding another young SF.
Old 08-26-05, 07:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Interesting-- it sounds like we just sent Pop.
Old 08-26-05, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd still be surprised if Finley joined us. But that is a far cry from "unfathomable" and "shocked", which would have been my thoughts a month and 2 weeks ago.

I think the best thing Pop could say to Finley to sell him on the Spurs is "Robert Horry". Finley already knows what Tim and Manu can do. And I don't just mean Big Shot's clutchness. I mean look at how Pop has managed his minutes and his role since joining the team. Horry was pretty much left for dead by the league after his failures with the Lakers in 03. But Pop brought him in, managed his minutes so he didn't get injured or spent during the regular season, allowing him to shine in the playoffs. Now, Horry had suitors for his services. Horry is regarded as a hero, and he's regarded as someone who contributes greatly to our championship hopes in the future. Oh, and he pretty much did this FROM THE BENCH.

Pop knows how to manage a roster. He puts veterans in position to succeed individually as well as teamwise. Finley's career has taken a downturn, primarily due to perception and his age. But if managed properly, he can regain his stature as a very good player.

Heck, his not having to face Bruce alone could do wonders for his stats. And Pop went alone because our players are still resting. They played a few more games than Phoenix, Miami, and Minny...
Old 08-26-05, 08:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

One thing I really haven't heard much discussion on is contract length. This could be one of Finley's determining factors - who is willing to offer the longest contract?
Old 08-26-05, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Phoenix sent sarver, dantoni, amare, colangalo, two hamsters and a box of ding dongs to talk to Fins. We sent the Popster. I like the approach. Sign the guy if he wants to be part of the deal. If not, get D Brown inked and let's get #4.
Old 08-26-05, 08:58 AM

It's becoming such a circus, that perhaps the Spurs figured a low key approach was best. Still the most impressive thing about Pop is his candor with his players which Finley got to see and hear firsthand. He won't start over Bowen here, but in Miami, Minne, and Phoenix he will definitly be a starter, so right now, I don't think it looks good for our team. I just hope this doesn't extend much longer than this mon or tue. This is too much drama and suspense for me.
Old 08-26-05, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think there is a decent shot Finley comes to SA

as has been pointed out...the money difference in reality is very small (the media are not reporting it correctly as Amente has pointed out)

SA gives finley the best chance at a ring and staying close to home

I think Finley will see the proven situation in SA and take that over some "chance" of doing something in Mimai on a roster thats logjamed

Quote:
It's becoming such a circus
I dont think its that at all...its been very low key. people are making this out into something it hasnt been

rumors on local news had a NBA source saying Finley was leaning to SA....but who knows how that turns out

Finley comes and its great

he doesnt come and it makes no impact on the Spurs chances....they then prob lock up Devin and move on

big deal

Quote:
Let's concentrate on finding another young SF.
well Im sure the Spurs FO is not just sitting around. if Finely doesnt come I think Devin will be back

people are acting like the Spurs are missing all these options by wanting finley

people like Evans and jones were not high enough on the Spurs list (or a situation where they would have wanted to pay Jones a 4 years deal or sit around on an offer sheet to evans) to make it worth PASSING on Finley

they have other things they will look at if he doent come. Finley does not make or break the Spurs
Old 08-26-05, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Just given our history with top FAs (except for our own) I would be shocked if he signed with SA.
Old 08-26-05, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That SA is in the running still says alot. We don't have a former coach of his or players with the same agent (like Miami). We don't have a good friend of his (like Phx). What we do have is a wide open window. Our window for championships is open, and will be wide open for at least 4 years, about the same time left for Finley (optimistically) to be a significant contributor as a player during his career. Miami's window can be considered open, only becasue they have Shaq and DWade, though they haven't won anything. And it's closing quickly as Shaq ages. Phoenix's window may be considered open by some too, but it's closing also due to Nash's age. As Amare gets more experience, he willbe a force also, but by then, Finley's ability to contribute will be much less. The prospects among those 3 franchises of winning a ring in the next four years, is highly favorable towards the Spurs.

Championships require lots of things to go right. And if Finley is smart and really cares mostly about being valuable contributor to a championship winning team, he will view this not as a one year thing, but a 3-4 year assessment. I bet Malone wishes he had joined the Spurs the first time around. Cuz after failing to win in LA, joining SA would make him look like he's desparately chasing. Does Finley want to be viewed that way?

Make the best decision for the next 3-4 years. And if Fin-dawg turns the Spurs down? Good luck and best wishes. Just don't say we didn't warn you, Mike

Quote:
Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.
So I guess its safe to assume that dropping to both knees and kissing his butt wasn't one of the criteria.

Sadly, I think the biggest factor in this may be that Finley shares agents DWade. This benefits Finley (and his agent) tremendously. I hope it isn't a factor, but in the sports world today, it tends to. And this has nothing to do with "what type of person Finley is" other than he's also a businessman and has to play advantages where he can.
Old 08-26-05, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

relax people... his agent didn't really say anything... one way or the other, his words were what you would expect them to be. As of this moment, he hasn't given any public signs he is leaning towards any particular team. It's wait and see.
Old 08-26-05, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dave
One thing I really haven't heard much discussion on is contract length. This could be one of Finley's determining factors - who is willing to offer the longest contract?
Exactly what I was wondering. The difference like everyone says isn't that much over one year, between what miami and spurs can offer, but taken over 3 or 4 years will be.

Also, what kind of action do you think Finley will see in the 4th quarters? You think we'd see him at the end of games on the court, or on the bench? With Manu being clutch, he's always out there. With defense being our main priority, I see Bowen out there the majority of the time also.
Old 08-26-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

That is a good point about the length of contract. Miami is definitely in a "Win Now" mode given Shaq's imminent decline so they might be willing to extend. However, my perception of Finley is that he's a thoughtful and mature man. I'm hoping he's thinking that the Miami situation is a little unsettled and the potential for a meltdown makes that situation a little too risky. There is no way for him to know for sure what he's getting into there in Miami. However, in SA, he knows exactly what he's getting into. Maybe Robert Horry should talk to him. I've heard Horry say consistently in many different interviews that this is the best team he's played on as far as team atmosphere is concerned.
Old 08-26-05, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Agents always make it sound nice. Don't take it for face value.
Exactly!!!!!
Old 08-26-05, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltimeqb
Also, what kind of action do you think Finley will see in the 4th quarters? You think we'd see him at the end of games on the court, or on the bench? With Manu being clutch, he's always out there. With defense being our main priority, I see Bowen out there the majority of the time also.
I would think it would just depend on the situation and how good a defender in our system Finley could become. If Finley can play Spurs D and be a real 3pt threat I think he's got a chance to take some 4th quarter minutes from Bruce if the Spurs are playing from behind. Mostly though it's going to be Bruce and Manu out there.
Old 08-26-05, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
I would think it would just depend on the situation and how good a defender in our system Finley could become. If Finley can play Spurs D and be a real 3pt threat I think he's got a chance to take some 4th quarter minutes from Bruce if the Spurs are playing from behind. Mostly though it's going to be Bruce and Manu out there.
In some matchups that require more scoring Finley would be above Bruce. Or, if we go really small then Finley would actually be SF and Bowen be PF (like to stop Marion). There's no need to speculate right now.
Old 08-26-05, 11:05 AM
SpursReport Team Member

His agent didn't sound as encouraging when Miami or PHX had their meeting.

I wonder if teams around the League especially Heat, Suns, are feeling nervous?

See, they know they need a player like Finley to counter our guys and on the other

hand Spurs know that if they keep him away from them, they WON'T even have a

chance vs US.

If Finley does sign with Spurs, what do y'all think that will do to them metally?
Old 08-26-05, 11:14 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think it looks great for us that we're not the top dollar team, don't have a starting role to offer, and he still has us right up there with the other options.

Who would you rather play with-- Manu and TD or Antoine and J-Will?

Now that I think about it, the fact that he's considering us at all given the history with Bruce is something of a miracle.
Old 08-26-05, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz
If Finley does sign with Spurs, what do y'all think that will do to them metally?
To be honest, nothing. Players don't care about winning so much that they'll watch the news everyday and then think about whether their championship hopes vanished. They've the money, and they're happy. The FOs of those teams though, would be disappointed for sure.
Old 08-26-05, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

the longer this goes on, the bigger loser we look like when we dont get Finley.

....and yeh his agent is just keeping up public appearances, I don't think it's that optimistic.
Old 08-26-05, 11:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
In some matchups that require more scoring Finley would be above Bruce. Or, if we go really small then Finley would actually be SF and Bowen be PF (like to stop Marion). There's no need to speculate right now.
great with that lineup if they run it often enough Tim will have a chance for a 6th man of the year award give me a break. . Also Marian will probably play Small forward this year with kurt thomas at center, amare at PF
Old 08-26-05, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedblacknsilva
Just given our history with top FAs (except for our own) I would be shocked if he signed with SA.
What about Brent Barry ? Granted, he had a bad year, but he turned down $$ and uprooted his family to play for us. He's got a ring to show for it.

Rasho was highly sought after and went with the Spurs over his current team (The Wolves).

Charlie Ward chose San Antonio when he was available. (Wow, did his game disappear).

The results may not have been the best for us, but we got these guys to play here.
Old 08-26-05, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21
the longer this goes on, the bigger loser we look like when we dont get Finley.

....and yeh his agent is just keeping up public appearances, I don't think it's that optimistic.
I agree.

IN the end Finley will feed his ego by letting everyone tell them how much they love him, get wined and dined and treated like a king, then bolt for more cash (including Cuban's promise) out east with Miami.

-J.W.
Old 08-26-05, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo
(including Cuban's promise) out east with Miami.

There is no promise as Cuban needed to change Finley's contract prior to waiving him.
League has verifed no such change took place.
Old 08-26-05, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The longer it drags out, the more of a chance Fin will come to SA. I never woulda thought it, but there are teams taking themselves out of it and Fin knows how good we are. He knows as great as we are, he could make us better and it's not often a somewhat big name joins the Spurs for a chance...look at all the stars that have passed on us and ended up not getting a great shot at a ring..
Old 08-26-05, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I dont think he'll come just based on the hype of the heat, the money they have, and the fact that the Spurs never seem to get this type of guy as a FA. Who knows though, anything is possible. I dont really care about waiting anymore, after karl malone, I can wait basically any length of time.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Old 08-26-05, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgraphix
The longer it drags out, the more of a chance Fin will come to SA. I never woulda thought it, but there are teams taking themselves out of it and Fin knows how good we are. He knows as great as we are, he could make us better and it's not often a somewhat big name joins the Spurs for a chance...look at all the stars that have passed on us and ended up not getting a great shot at a ring..
I agree 100%, but how long it drags on doesn't mean anything, other than he is considering what he wants to do. He definitly knows how good the Spurs are, and what he can bring to the table, he knows his best shot at winning it all, is probably with the Spurs. It's not like this teams doesn't need him, he would provide us more scoring, defense, and depth, and I am sure he would love to play with Timmy D. The Spurs would love to acquire Finley, bigtime.

Last edited by bcl11oc; 08-26-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbandit
great with that lineup if they run it often enough Tim will have a chance for a 6th man of the year award give me a break.
LOL. TD at center obviously.
Old 08-26-05, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It all depends on how he views himself as a player at this time in his career, really.

If he has accepted that he isn't the player he once was then his choice WILL be the

Spurs. If he hasn't accepted that fact then his EGO would makeup his mind to go

with Heat.

And as for Barry, look at Horry, he needed at least 1yr of learning Spurs System to

become effective last year. Barry will come along and he will be a reliable guy in

our rotation.
Old 08-26-05, 02:25 PM

That 5 Million in Miami will make the choice very easy for Fin...

If they guy wants to win he would come to us...but we all know its about $, not winning....

Sincerly, Jason Kidd
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 08-26-05, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

alspurs if it was not for the fact of sex kidd might be a spur
Old 08-26-05, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

why are people making Finley out to be some drama queen wanting to be wined and dined etc...he TURNED DOWN a big fanfare visit to Miami

he's kept things low key in his meeting with teams...he obviously was never 100% sold on Miami like so MANY people claimed

Rather he comes or not the Spurs are not going to look bad in this at all. They were interested...they talked to him...he comes or he doesnt

SA will have a great shot to repeat regardless.

Quote:
I dont think he'll come just based on the hype of the heat, the money they have
the money difference isnt that big...as Amente broke down its really only like 1.1 mil

There was no promise from Cuban either

From Amente

Quote:
The media is making so much of the fact that the Heat can offer Finley the full MLE ($5 mil) while the Spurs can only offer what they have left of the MLE which is about $2.7 mil.

But due to the Amnesty Rule that limits how much an amnesty player can profit from his new contract with a new team while already being paid his contract from his previous team the difference in pay between the Heat and Spurs isn't so much.

Under that rule if my calculations are correct, Finley can take home about $2.85 mil.
On the other hand, Finley will take home about $1.7 mil with the spurs.

A differnce of $1.15.
Old 08-26-05, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

From my perspective, I think Finley is handling all this in a very mature and professional way, almost "Spur"-like. Throughout his career Finley has always been a low-key personality so I'm not sure why people are saying he's into getting his ego stroked by having everybody coming to him. Anyway, I think it is another example of genius on the part of the Spurs front office to only send Pop. The other teams recruiting him have turned the process into an ego-stroking circus, not Finley. I sincerely hope that backfires on Miami because Finley would fit in great on this team.
Old 08-26-05, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
From my perspective, I think Finley is handling all this in a very mature and professional way, almost "Spur"-like. Throughout his career Finley has always been a low-key personality so I'm not sure why people are saying he's into getting his ego stroked by having everybody coming to him. Anyway, I think it is another example of genius on the part of the Spurs front office to only send Pop. The other teams recruiting him have turned the process into an ego-stroking circus, not Finley. I sincerely hope that backfires on Miami because Finley would fit in great on this team.
I think you make some good points.

I hope Finley proves you right.
Old 08-26-05, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I hope we can het Finley but I hate this waiting game
Old 08-26-05, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
I hope we can het Finley but I hate this waiting game
It happens every summer, I thought we'd all be used to it by now. I am more interested in what happens after Finley signs. Especially what the Spurs choose to do with Brent Barry.