LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-05, 12:59 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Suns' D'Antoni on Olympic coaching list

D'Antoni on Olympic coaching list

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

Jerry Colangelo will pick USA Basketball's next Olympic coaching staff in the next two months and is considering Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

Colangelo, named managing director of the senior men's national team in April, said he has narrowed the head coach crop to a college coach, reportedly Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, and two pro coaches. D'Antoni has expressed interest in the job.

"Mike (D'Antoni) has a real opportunity to be part of this staff and organization because of his coaching ability and international experience, which is 17 years as a player and coach," Colangelo said. "I think there is a real opportunity to be had there." advertisement

By Dec. 31, Colangelo expects to have 25 commitments from players for three years of international play, including the 2006 World Championship. He said Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird are among the players who offered to help him recruit candidates.

"Some people say this is going to be an awesome responsibility to get people to commit," said Colangelo, the Suns chairman. "I understand all that, but that's part of the responsibility.

"To now have an opportunity to represent your country in a time and place where the reputation we enjoyed as the pinnacle of basketball has been more than challenged, but taken away, it's a great opportunity to take back something we've taken for granted."

• Contract extension talks with Amaré Stoudemire are "moving along," according to Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...unsnb0823.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-05, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I know D'Antoni has considerable international experience, was Coach of the Year, but I think it's soley Jerry Colangelo and his ties to the Suns that are making this possible.

How can you overlook a coach with international experience, a COY Award and 3 NBA Championships on his resume?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-05, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Pop is certainly more qualified to coach the olympic team than D'Antoni at this point

D'Antoni may know the international game but so does Pop...and Pop I think would be a better choice of coach to get the US back to the gold. A no defense system like D'Antoni isnt going to win anything
Old 08-23-05, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

How did Colangelo get that position? Well of course he will consider his own coach for the Olympic position. He has international coaching experience and has done a decent job in Phoenix with a couple of superstars.

But to be considered over Pop is a joke. Pop and Spurs organization understand the international game probably better than any other NBA org. The main downfall of the last Olympics was not the coaching it was the team selection in which should be the main focus for up coming international play.
Old 08-23-05, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

D'Antoni is so over-rated it makes me sick. Nash is canadian, so he can't just put the ball in his hands and say "make it happen" like he did last year with the Suns. Maybe it was just me but it didn't look like the Suns ran more then 2 designed plays a game last year, it seemed to be all Nash.

I see D'Antoni the same way I see Byron Scott as coaches. They both were with crappy teams, the GM got a great PG to join the team that fit the team perfectly, and because of the PLAYERS not the coach, the team completely turned around. Just look at how great Scott did with his new team, they were a playoff team the year before he got there, and in one years time he got the franchise player traded, and turned a 41-41 team into the worst team in the west at 18-64 and the second worst team in the league!
Old 08-23-05, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I hope Coach K gets it.
Old 08-23-05, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I really like Coach K, but I wonder about professional players-- many whom now have skipped college altogether-- playing for a college coach for three summers!

I REALLY don't see how this job isn't Pop's before D'Antoni's.

Quote:
By Dec. 31, Colangelo expects to have 25 commitments from players for three years of international play, including the 2006 World Championship.
Good luck to them. I don't see 25 NBA players committing themselves to 3 summers when they may not even make it onto the Olympic or World Championship team.
Old 08-23-05, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Maybe after last years dissapointment, and watching Duncan get jobbed by the refs and in constant foul trouble, Pop doesn't want to coach team USA anymore
Old 08-23-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess no defense for the olympic team
Old 08-23-05, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The way I read it.........Colangelo is considering D'Antoni for the coaching STAFF.....as in an assistant coach. Which would be a good move, even if he gets a leg up simply because he's associated with the Suns.

I don't read it that D'Antoni is being considered to be the HEAD coach.

And 2 NBA coaches are being considered for the head coach.....why is everyone assuming Pop is on the outside? He may be one of those 2.

What I would like to see........put Larry Brown and Coach Pop back in charge....thru the worlds championships and thru the Olympics. Give them the chance to grab what had been taken away.
Old 08-23-05, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't downplay D'Antoni's international experience. He's more accomplished at the international game than any NBA coach:

13 year playing career, finished by being named the greatest PG in Italian league history (Kobe Bryant wears #8 because he was a huge fan of D'Antoni growing up overseas)
8 seasons coaching - winning the cup of Europe twice, and twice being named coach of the year

Basically, he's an international legend with a 30+ year background in the game. I didn't know that either, but that seems pretty darn qualified.

One last thing to play a little more Devil's advocate: Pop was the lead assistant on the latest US National Men's team. How did that work out?
Old 08-23-05, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Pop was also a part of the disaster in Indianapolis.
Old 08-23-05, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman
Pop was also a part of the disaster in Indianapolis.
Actually, George Karl was a disaster in Indianapolis. Pop was an assistant. I'm sorry but if you're going to fault Pop for Karl's losses you might as well blame PJ for the Spurs not getting the title in '04. Just sounds kinda stupid to me.
Old 08-23-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Pop was the lead assistant on the latest US National Men's team. How did that work out?
Yeah but he wasnt the head coach or calling all the shots

Based on a combination of International knowledge and NBA experience...Im not sure how Pop isnt the most qualfied guy choice right now. D'antoni's system isnt really what Team USA needs IMO to take back the Gold

Coach K is nice but he doesnt have much knowledge I would think about international players nor as much NBA player knowledge either
Old 08-23-05, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
The way I read it.........Colangelo is considering D'Antoni for the coaching STAFF.....as in an assistant coach. Which would be a good move, even if he gets a leg up simply because he's associated with the Suns.
I don't read it that D'Antoni is being considered to be the HEAD coach.

You are correct, sir !

Old 08-23-05, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

[quote]Colangelo, named managing director of the senior men's national team in April, said he has narrowed the head coach crop to a college coach, reportedly Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, and two pro coaches. D'Antoni has expressed interest in the job.[/QUOTE]

But it also seems like D'Antoni is interested in the head coaching job as well.
Old 08-23-05, 02:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
Don't downplay D'Antoni's international experience. He's more accomplished at the international game than any NBA coach:

13 year playing career, finished by being named the greatest PG in Italian league history (Kobe Bryant wears #8 because he was a huge fan of D'Antoni growing up overseas)
8 seasons coaching - winning the cup of Europe twice, and twice being named coach of the year

Basically, he's an international legend with a 30+ year background in the game. I didn't know that either, but that seems pretty darn qualified.

One last thing to play a little more Devil's advocate: Pop was the lead assistant on the latest US National Men's team. How did that work out?
If I remember correctly, Kobe's father Joe Bryant owns 50% of Olimpia Milano, the team were Mike D'Antoni and Bob McAdoo played.
Old 08-23-05, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

D'Antoni=
Old 08-23-05, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Yeah but he wasnt the head coach or calling all the shots

Based on a combination of International knowledge and NBA experience...Im not sure how Pop isnt the most qualfied guy choice right now. D'antoni's system isnt really what Team USA needs IMO to take back the Gold

Coach K is nice but he doesnt have much knowledge I would think about international players nor as much NBA player knowledge either
The way I see it is Pop and Larry Brown are 1a and 1b as far as basketball defensive minds go.

They got the 2004 men's team to play ok (ranging to good) team defense and godawful team offense. The players didn't know the sets because they didn't have enough time to learn them.

The team could NOT break a zone. Which is what pretty much every intl. team plays!

The Olympic team doesn't need a Larry Brown disciple, it needs a coach with a simpler offensive philosophy who lets his team play without trying to control the game so much. What NBA coach does that sound like? Which is why D'Antoni, though not the best coach in the world, is the best choice from a fan's standpoint.
Old 08-23-05, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think Pop would do a better job overall with full control than Brown or Karl did

and Pop is as qualified or moreso as any choice you can throw on the list

I just dont think D'antoni's no defense system is the answer
Old 08-23-05, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If POP coaches team USA do you think that would persuade Timme to play again in the Olympics?
Old 08-23-05, 10:50 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I sincerely doubt it.

Unfortunately for him, it looks like the only void in the brilliant career of Tim Duncan will be an Olympic Gold medal.
Old 08-23-05, 11:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Timme (hopefully) or no Timme, I hope Pop gets head coach