News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-20-05, 06:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Dale Davis to sign with the Pistons

Dale Davis is on the verge of leaving the Indiana Pacers for the second time.

The popular veteran of nine-plus seasons with the Pacers is close to signing a two-year contract with Detroit.

The Pacers want to retain the free agent forward-center but can't compete financially with other offers.

"They can't match it," said Davis' agent, Chubby Wells, who declined to say what Davis has been offered. "They don't have any money."

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said he was unaware of offers Davis might have but confirmed his inability to compete financially.

"If he does (have an offer), there's not much I can do about it right now," Walsh said.

Davis played his first nine NBA seasons with the Pacers, then was traded to Portland for Jermaine O'Neal in 2000. He returned to the Pacers in February after he was waived by New Orleans, which acquired him in a trade with Golden State.

He averaged 6.9 points and 8.9 rebounds in 25 regular-season games for the Pacers last season, starting all of them.

www.indystar.com/apps/pbc...00455/1088
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-05, 08:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

booooooooooooooo
Old 08-20-05, 08:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Whoa. That's quite a frontline. Wallace and Wallace, McDyess and Davis. Good signing if it becomes official.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-05, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

A good frontline but only 96 minutes.
Although I sort of wished the Spurs could have signed him- I wonder if at this stage of his career if Oberto is better?
Old 08-20-05, 10:00 AM
Abominable snowballer

DD is for detroit what campell was last year, but maybe a bit of an upgrade b/c at this stage of their careers davis is the better defender, rebounder and shot blocker.
but this also means, that the pistons still don't trust darko, who won't see a lot of minutes again, even with brown out of town.
and the pistons drafted two more front court players (maxiell and johnson)

or does it mean that darkos days in detroit are over?? detroit would have needed help for their back-court more than for their very good front line.

will they try to trade darko for a SG. (if they don't get finley)
i would not be surprised, considering their latest moves.
Old 08-20-05, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

seems they will sign sprewell with the rest of their MLE
Old 08-20-05, 10:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ben and Rasheed Wallace are not a good fit to play against Shaq. Dale Davis and Cambell will play him much better. To bad the Spurs couldn't sign him.

This means that Finley goes to Miami.
Old 08-20-05, 10:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

And once again, this means that our FO screws things up yet again. So much for repeating. I think at least detroit is past our level now with spree and d^2. Once miami gets finley, there will be 2 teams better than us (on paper).
Old 08-20-05, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoKazoo
And once again, this means that our FO screws things up yet again. So much for repeating. I think at least detroit is past our level now with spree and d^2. Once miami gets finley, there will be 2 teams better than us (on paper).
3 titles in 7 years
yep they have srewed up again-
Old 08-20-05, 10:36 AM
SpursReport Rookie

There goes Darkos playing time...
Old 08-20-05, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
And once again, this means that our FO screws things up yet again.
Because Dale Davis is going to Detroit??
Old 08-20-05, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I really liked Dale, he was one of my favorites, but if he signs with Detroit, ALL of that goes down the toilet.

FUDD
Old 08-20-05, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
It is August isn't it? Stuff like this doesn't even cross my mind until after
the All-Star break.
Old 08-20-05, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
It is August isn't it? Stuff like this doesn't even cross my mind until after
the All-Star break.
True. That's usually when Pop begins to notice also and when most of the trades for the Spurs occur. Notice, Pop was able to pull off a trade for Mohammed last year when he knew that the Spurs might have to go up against Shaq or the two Wallace's.

Besides, the Spurs have to focus on winning the West first and then look to the East later.
Old 08-20-05, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dale Davis is way better than Elden Campbell, but he won't get average more than 15 minutes without other players getting injured. McDyess, Rasheed, Ben should get as many minutes as possible. I could imagine the Pistons lowering their minutes to have them more rested for the playoffs, but I think that they also want to win the first seed, so we'll see.

Dale Davis' agent has signaled before that he was going were the money was, so I am not at all disappointed in the Spurs FO.

And Darko? I can't wait to see how his reaction will be, his facial expression at the end of the bench.
Old 08-20-05, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
And Darko? I can't wait to see how his reaction will be, his facial expression at the end of the bench.
Maybe they are grooming Darko to play behind Tayshaun Prince....as a tall SF
Old 08-20-05, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod
Notice, Pop was able to pull off a trade for Mohammed last year when he knew that the Spurs might have to go up against Shaq or the two Wallace's.
Pop knew that since last November.
From the beginning of the season until they were able to find a Mr. Thomas from NY willing to accept Rose, they were on the lookout for a true big man and a long SF.
Old 08-20-05, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Pop knew that since last November.
From the beginning of the season until they were able to find a Mr. Thomas from NY willing to accept Rose, they were on the lookout for a true big man and a long SF.
I am sure he did...but it always seems..and I maybe wrong, that the Spurs pull the trigger on trades in the middle of the year near the Feb deadline then before the year begins.

By the way, have you heard anything on your end concerning all of these numerous trade rumors going around?
Old 08-20-05, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Dale Davis is better than Elden Campbell usually, but against Shaq Elden Campbell is way better. Indeed Campbell was better against Shaq than any of the other Detroit frontline players. If Campbell is retiring, the Pistons have lost a very valuable weapon against Miami.

Big issue is, if the Pistons are showing Davis the money, then that should mean that Finley is going to Miami.
Old 08-20-05, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
and once again your comments are absurd. screw things up yet again? What have they screwed up? Their the best franchise in the NBA and have won 3 freakin titles in 7 years?

How people act like SA's FO doesnt know anything I have no idea.

and to be writing off the Spurs chances to repeat in August is hilarious
Old 08-20-05, 01:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Typical offseason rantings.
Old 08-20-05, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
are you out of your freak'in BanjoKazoo!!
Old 08-20-05, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

WTF are we doing?
Old 08-20-05, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

they have a huge frontline.
Old 08-20-05, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
they have a huge frontline.
Yup.

The Pacers are now, YET AGAIN, one tough-minded big who can ball away from competing with the two other frontlines in the conference.

-sigh-
Old 08-20-05, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Wonder what he signed for?
Old 08-20-05, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Jeesh, Detroit is just stock piling the Bigs. This definitely hurts Indy though. They do not have enough bodies to contend with the bigs of the other elite teams.

Doom
Old 08-20-05, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom
Jeesh, Detroit is just stock piling the Bigs. This definitely hurts Indy though. They do not have enough bodies to contend with the bigs of the other elite teams.

Doom
Maybe J. Oneal gained thirty pounds of muscle in the offseason...
Old 08-20-05, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Yup.

The Pacers are now, YET AGAIN, one tough-minded big who can ball away from competing with the two other frontlines in the conference.

-sigh-
Did you just ask for Rasho?
Old 08-20-05, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dale Davis is a significant upgrade over Elden Campbell's old fat ass.
Old 08-20-05, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod
Maybe J. Oneal gained thirty pounds of muscle in the offseason...
A 290 JO would be a scary, fat thing.
Old 08-20-05, 08:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pacer is a good team but not enough to beat Heat or Piston, IMO.