News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-18-05, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Cassell deal in jeopardy

Sam Cassell, traded by the Timberwolves to the Clippers for Marko Jaric, has refused to take a physical with his new team and is demanding an extension on his contract, which has one year to go. Cassell is asking for a two-year deal. The Wolves hope this doesn't kill the deal.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune
Old 08-18-05, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It shouldn't cause I am sure the Clippers traded for him to not only shore up the bench, but because he only had one year to go on his deal. I hope they override the physical and don't meet his demands. If he wants to lose money while being fined or sitting out then that's on him.... ala Terrell Owens.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-05, 02:24 PM
MomBear

didn't he say in another thread that the T-pups were going to be at the bottom again??? now he wants to stay with them... ????

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-05, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

You guys are missing the point. He doesn't care if he plays for a winner or a loser. He just cares that he gets paid. He was willing to allow the T'wolves to tank last year because he didn't get the money he wanted. Newsflash to all 35-year-old point guards not named John Stockton...take any paycheck you can get 'cause no one's going to invest in you long term and you are probably not good enough at your age to warrant a raise.
Old 08-18-05, 02:30 PM
MomBear

oh so this basically should be in the Sarcasim thread?

Old 08-18-05, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
didn't he say in another thread that the T-pups were going to be at the bottom again??? now he wants to stay with them... ????

He is going to be on a crappy team either way. He just wants more money, thats all.
Old 08-18-05, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Doesn't the new CBA have some verbage in it that gives Stern the power to suspend or fine guys who try to block trades by refusing to report? I seem to remember hearing something like that because of what Jim Jackson did last year by not reporting to the Hornets. If Cassell continues to be an @ss about this I guess we'll find out...........
Old 08-18-05, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd98
You guys are missing the point. He doesn't care if he plays for a winner or a loser. He just cares that he gets paid. He was willing to allow the T'wolves to tank last year because he didn't get the money he wanted. Newsflash to all 35-year-old point guards not named John Stockton...take any paycheck you can get 'cause no one's going to invest in you long term and you are probably not good enough at your age to warrant a raise.
My point exactly. He also is looking at Spree, his teammate from last year, and seeing how difficult it is for him to find a job and knows he is in the same predicament. That's why again, if I were the Clippers, waive the physical and let him just sit on the bench far far away from Livingston. Who cares if he doesn't play and he can always be fined if he refuses to follow rules. He is no longer viewed as a good pg but rather an expiring contract after next year.
Old 08-18-05, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can you imagine if he has to go back to Minni after the story on this thread?
l
l
l
V
Cassel Bitter about trade, says Wolves will be at the bottom again (Cassel Bitter about trade, says Wolves will be at the bottom again)

Somoeone should have waited for the ink to dry before yapping...
Old 08-18-05, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanThree
Somoeone should have waited for the ink to dry before yapping...
That would require the person to have common sense. You do know we are talking about Cassell who is in the same class as Spree right?
Old 08-18-05, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Doesn't the new CBA have some verbage in it that gives Stern the power to suspend or fine guys who try to block trades by refusing to report? I seem to remember hearing something like that because of what Jim Jackson did last year by not reporting to the Hornets. If Cassell continues to be an @ss about this I guess we'll find out...........
I think the wording is that Stern can Vaporize any such player...

Seriously, anybody know if he does? Or can the Clipps suspend him for failing to report?
Old 08-18-05, 03:18 PM
MomBear

What did they do to Alonzo Morning when he didn't report to the Raptors?
Old 08-18-05, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
What did they do to Alonzo Morning when he didn't report to the Raptors?
Nothing. That happened under the old CBA.
Old 08-18-05, 05:19 PM
MomBear

awww I see .... thanks. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens to ole Sam there....
Old 08-18-05, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think this is more of an ego issue than a money issue.

Jaric dates models. Cassel is often a first team selection for the All Ugly Team. Clearly, he's jealous.
Old 08-18-05, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

people-he's got a family to feed. (sarcasm)
Old 08-19-05, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
oh so this basically should be in the Sarcasim thread?

lol!!!!!!!

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 08-19-05, 12:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think the thread title is a bit misleading. The trade is gonna go through, because the Clips're aware of this beforehand anyway.
Old 08-19-05, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Clippers: Cassell already making contract waves

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, August 19, 2005

News
Point guard Sam Cassell was unhappy with his contract in Minnesota, and the Los Angeles Times is reporting that Cassell has concerns about his deal that he wants to Clippers to address before reporting to Los Angeles next week, specifically a long-term extension. "Sam is an All-NBA player, and you want a player of that caliber to be happy," Cassell's agent Charles Tucker told the Times.

Views
Not unlike Randy Moss, Tucker apparently has some problems with his verb tenses. Cassell was an All-NBA player two seasons ago, before his scoring dropped by six points per game, his assists by over two per game, his games played by 22 contests, and before he turned 35 and required hip surgery. The Clippers told the Times they have no intention of extending his contract and it's tough to blame them.

Updated on Friday, Aug 19, 2005 1:49 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...ball&type=lgns
Old 08-19-05, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

As Jaric got $40M to feed his family, Cassell demands $$ or will go party breaker mode...
Old 08-19-05, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

well doesnt the new CBA state that if a player is traded and refuses to play for his new team, his contract will be withheld and a suspension as well?