News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-17-05, 12:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Typical Cuban

Guys, an NBA analyst on ESPN News stated that Mark Cuban has contacted Finley about restructing his contract of some sort that he would pay Finley more money yearly if he would go to a team in the East than signing on with a western conference team. I apologize if i dont make any sense on what I am saying but this is how I took it. I really think that's screwed up. I dont doubt one bit that Cuban would do such a thing..

Amente, Have you heard of anything like this? ESPN news is reporting it. I encourage you guys to watch ESPN news and see if you can catch this statement from this analyst.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok.. Here we go.. You guys can watch for your self what the analyst says.. You need to download the ESPN motion in order to watch this clip.. The title of the clip is: Will Finley Fly to Motown

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Last edited by spursfan20; 08-17-05 at 01:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-05, 12:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow, what a lewser COWARD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-05, 01:07 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Smart move by Cuban. Who cares how it affects the Spurs or any other Western Conference team?

It was a shrewd move by Cuban if this is true. You have to take your hat off to the guy, he knows what he's doing.
Old 08-17-05, 01:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Don't know if it is true. Don't know it that would be typical of him.
But what I know to be typical of him is for him to write about trading Finley on his blog.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Excerpts:

Its my fault that we got to this point.

I never should have authorized deals without asking for far more details. I was guilty of being overly optomistic. I wanted to believe that the next deal was the one that was the difference maker. I found ways to rationalize the business side and how i would only be losing a few more dollars and that if it made the difference it was worth it. I enabled a culture where we always thought that if we had assets to trade we could fix a mistake.

I was wrong.

We should have done several years ago what the organization is doing now to improve our player evaluation and development.

The template for success in the NBA changed from the Portland model of 1999-2000 when I got to the league, to the Detroit, San Antonio, Miami model. The finances and rules of the league evolved. The winning teams were ahead of the curve or evolved as the business of the NBA changed. Today, success seems to come from being a smart organization that can identify and develop young talent and have the financial and or cap flexability to be opportunistic and improve your team in season or during the offseason.

Although we have succeeded on the court to the point of 5 straight 50 plus win seasons, we certainly didnt do it “the best way” . We did it the most expensive way. It cost us flexibility and created lots of bad habits. That was my mistake and it ended up costing us Mike.

Waiving Mike gave us the opportunity to reclaim financial flexibility. It never should have gotten to this point. My mistakes let it. Which makes it all the more painful. Its business, but it really is personal.
Old 08-17-05, 01:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Don't know if it is true. Don't know it that would be typical of him.
But what I know to be typical of him is for him to write about trading Finley on his blog.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Excerpts:

Its my fault that we got to this point.

I never should have authorized deals without asking for far more details. I was guilty of being overly optomistic. I wanted to believe that the next deal was the one that was the difference maker. I found ways to rationalize the business side and how i would only be losing a few more dollars and that if it made the difference it was worth it. I enabled a culture where we always thought that if we had assets to trade we could fix a mistake.

I was wrong.

We should have done several years ago what the organization is doing now to improve our player evaluation and development.

The template for success in the NBA changed from the Portland model of 1999-2000 when I got to the league, to the Detroit, San Antonio, Miami model. The finances and rules of the league evolved. The winning teams were ahead of the curve or evolved as the business of the NBA changed. Today, success seems to come from being a smart organization that can identify and develop young talent and have the financial and or cap flexability to be opportunistic and improve your team in season or during the offseason.

Although we have succeeded on the court to the point of 5 straight 50 plus win seasons, we certainly didnt do it “the best way” . We did it the most expensive way. It cost us flexibility and created lots of bad habits. That was my mistake and it ended up costing us Mike.

Waiving Mike gave us the opportunity to reclaim financial flexibility. It never should have gotten to this point. My mistakes let it. Which makes it all the more painful. Its business, but it really is personal.
Even though he is the owner of the Mavs, I have to say, I really respect Cuban as an owner and businessman. Getting to where he is today wasn't a fluke and the thing of it is... is that he never changed and still acts like a normal dude. Yeah, its a lot easier to do that with a billion dollars, but how many billionares have you seen who carry themselves like Cuban.

What a dream to own your own sports franchise.....
Old 08-17-05, 01:25 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:

Excellent words Cuban.

Old 08-17-05, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Ok.. Here we go.. You guys can watch for your self what the analyst says.. You need to download the ESPN motion in order to watch this clip.. The title of the clip is: Will Finley Fly to Motown

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Last edited by spursfan20; 08-17-05 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Smart move by Cuban. Who cares how it affects the Spurs or any other Western Conference team?

It was a shrewd move by Cuban if this is true. You have to take your hat off to the guy, he knows what he's doing.
Amazing.....in your attempt to set yourself on a pedestal, and once again imply you are superior to everyone else because you don't care if our competition improves, there are two things to consider:

1) Nobody had whined that our competition might improve, nobody said anything about how it affects the Spurs,

and,

2) You chastise anyone that fears seeing our Western Conference competition improve, because you want to see the Spurs, win or lose, go head to head against the best teams (in other words: the high ground)............but then you applaud Cuban for a devious plan to ensure he can avoid seeing his WC competition improve, so the Mavs won't go against the best teams, plus Finley. (in other words: the cowardly route)

Why is it that if a Spurs fan hopes the scales may tip in favor of the Spurs, you say it is WRONG and COWARDLY......yet when Cuban tries to tip the scales in the Mavs favor, it is A-OK, and a smart, shrewd move??!?

Quite a contradiction of yourself there, RichB.

Last edited by To be named later; 08-17-05 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:48 AM

I'm not setting myself anywhere.

I'm simply making a statement on this supposed move by Cuban. I think it was a smart move. Period. End of story.

It does look chickensh!t on his part - but then again he has a reason to be chickensh!t when it comes to other teams. The San Antonio Spurs do not.

I don't really care how it affects other teams and whether it helps the Mavs or leads Finley to Detroit or Miami. All I'm doing is appluading the move - because I think it was a smart thing to do. A bit chickensh!t - but still smart.

I'm sure if we ask Amente, he can enlighten us on the Spurs making a few "cowardly" moves of their own over the years. It's smart, plain and simple.

I have a question TBNL: Since you enjoy so much chastising ME for "ruining" threads or "hijacking" threads - can you please explain how your personal shot at me is any different than the very things you complain about??

Instead of commenting on the topic or appluading the complimentary statements Cuban makes about our franchise - you take a shot at me.

My post was not directed at anyone at all. It was a general statement about the topic.

Don't you have better things to do than complain about MY opinions or views or poke fun at me in other threads??
Old 08-17-05, 03:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't think we need to do this AGAIN, do we fellas? Rich didn't try to disrupt this thread, he just stated an opinion on the topic. I thought that was allowed in here.

I caught that bit with Bucher on ESPNews today and thought it was interesting. Bucher said that there were rumors that Cuban was proposing a deal to change the payment plan for Finley's amnesty clause. When the rule was first announced, everyone thought it would be a coup for the elite teams since they wouldn't have to pay players like Finley much since they were already being paid out the rest of their contract. Then, people realized that while the teams using the amnesty clause on a player still had to pay out the full contract, they could do so over a really long period of time, thus making it less of a coup for the elite teams since they couldn't expect a Finley level player to take whatever minimal exception they could offer and count on him also making the $10 mill (or whatever he was supposed to make next year). Bucher said Cuban was offering to make a handshake agreement to shorten the time he would take to pay Finley the rest of his contract if Finley went East.

And yeah, though I realize it lessens the chances of the Spurs getting him, I think that is a pretty smart move by Cuban.
Old 08-17-05, 03:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cuban is a lot more depressed about this Finley ordeal than his blog reveals.

........but the Mavs aren't rebuilding or anything - they won 58 frickin games last year! - it's just the end of an era and it's always sad to have to see a player you get attatched to leave.
Old 08-17-05, 03:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I'm not setting myself anywhere.

I'm simply making a statement on this supposed move by Cuban. I think it was a smart move. Period. End of story.

It does look chickensh!t on his part - but then again he has a reason to be chickensh!t when it comes to other teams. The San Antonio Spurs do not.
Again.......Nobody had whined that our competition might improve. Nobody said anything about how it affects the Spurs, yet you brought it up?

Quote:
All I'm doing is appluading the move - because I think it was a smart thing to do. A bit chickensh!t - but still smart. I'm sure if we ask Amente, he can enlighten us on the Spurs making a few "cowardly" moves of their own over the years. It's smart, plain and simple.
Again.....you chastise Spurs fans for wishing or hoping something may or may not happen, which might tip the scales in our favor a little..........but if an owner can pay a guy $millions, in effect a bribe, to stay away from his conference so his team will have an easier route, that is OK? Just a "little chicken****? And now you want Amente to drag the Spurs down and "shame" them, to somehow show it is OK?

Quote:
I have a question TBNL: Since you enjoy so much chastising ME for "ruining" threads or "hijacking" threads - can you please explain how your personal shot at me is any different than the very things you complain about???
#1) I don't "enjoy" it.
#2) I don't consider that to be a "shot" at you, but if it is hurting your feelings and you are taking it personally, I am sorry.
#3) How is it different?
For starters, when I've "chastised" you for ruining or hijacking a thread, it is because you usually have come into a thread, crapped all over it, crapped all over the topic starter, and started bickering with any of numerous people, completely hijacking a thread. And you've done it again, and again, and again.

All I've done here, ONCE, is point out your contradiction, and as of yet........the thread hasn't been hijacked.

Quote:
Instead of commenting on the topic or appluading the complimentary statements Cuban makes about our franchise - you take a shot at me.
So you want me to comment on the topic? Read between the lines........if I'm saying Cubans plan is devious and cowardly, then am I not commenting on the topic?
And the topic is not whether Cuban may have said some complimentary statements about the Spurs, is it?

Quote:
My post was not directed at anyone at all. It was a general statement about the topic.

Don't you have better things to do than complain about MY opinions or views or poke fun at me in other threads??
Yes....yours was a general statement not directed at anyone at all......I'm just asking why you are contradicting yourself, why the double standard?
Old 08-17-05, 03:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So... Mark Cuban. HE is opinionated. Then again, he IS paying 2500x over the odds for his 2cents worth, so fair enough I guess.
Old 08-17-05, 03:51 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
Cuban is a lot more depressed about this Finley ordeal than his blog reveals.

........but the Mavs aren't rebuilding or anything - they won 58 frickin games last year! - it's just the end of an era and it's always sad to have to see a player you get attatched to leave.
Probably true.

I've gained a lot more respect for Cuban since I started reading his blog, especially since reading his comments about not being able to match Nash's offer from Phoenix.

Cuban showing interest in signing David Robinson, with the intent of driving up David's market value so the Spurs will have less money to pursue free agents.......shrewd and smart. Every GM, agent, and owner does that.

But saying "Hey, if you stay out of the western conference, so Dallas's competition will be weaker, and I'll give 'ya $Millions in return." is cowardly.

I don't see HOW Cuban can get away with it though.....it's like money under the table. It's as if the Spurs were to sign Finley to the vet minimum, officially, yet pay him the MLE.

Can he really restructure a contract......especially AFTER they've waived that player?
Old 08-17-05, 04:02 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Great thread!
Old 08-17-05, 09:04 AM
The Master Baiter

Whatever it takes to give your team a chance to win. He already know that they can't beat the Spurs without Finley. This guy cares about winning. You can't fault him for that. The only thing I have a problem with is his referring to the SA, Detroit, and Miami? model. Last I checked Miami has not won anything, and they only got really good last year because of the most dominant player of this generation. Not exactly a great model to follow.
Old 08-17-05, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

If the stories about Cuban pushing Finley east through financial incentives are true, the commissioner will have to step in.

This kind of wink wink agreement can have a very negative impact on professional sports. Given all the players these days, who are getting paid by teams other than the one they are playing for (i.e. Alanzo M), the room for foul play is huge.

Consider the Mavs were to meet Finley and the Heat in the NBA finals. What would stop Cuban from then offering to pay 20 years worth of payments in a single year? In other words, he owes Finley $50 million over 20 years but agrees to give him $50 million over one year. This would clearly be a bribe.

Keep in mind the real value of $50 million today is many times greater than the value of $50 million over 20 years. This is not simply about altering a payment schedule. It is about creating payoff money.
Old 08-17-05, 09:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Thank you, thank you, Mark Cuban, for finally being someone who would say this. I get so tired of all the "it's business- it's not personal" crap. That just means it isn't personal to YOU - but it is nice to have Cuban say that it was personal to HIM.
Old 08-17-05, 09:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Cuban is the one who will be paying Finley the remainder of his contract so it does not surprise me that he wants some say so of where he would or would not prefer Finley ending up. That would really stink for Cuban to pay for Finley to beat Cubans Mavs for the regular season title and then win a championship.
Old 08-17-05, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dave
Consider the Mavs were to meet Finley and the Heat in the NBA finals. What would stop Cuban from then offering to pay 20 years worth of payments in a single year? In other words, he owes Finley $50 million over 20 years but agrees to give him $50 million over one year. This would clearly be a bribe.

Keep in mind the real value of $50 million today is many times greater than the value of $50 million over 20 years. This is not simply about altering a payment schedule. It is about creating payoff money.
I don't think he could re-structure the contract in any way, shape, or form to pay him $50M in one year. But he could re-structure it so as to pay him more than the reported $5M per year. I think it shows smarts if it's true. People would be applaudiing Sam Presti if he thought of it.
Old 08-17-05, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Cuban should have NO say in where Finley goes.
He's taking advantage of the Amnesty Clause, he's saving $millions....he's hitting the "EASY Button".....he's getting bailed out for a bad contract.

If Cuban wanted Finley in the east, he should have traded him to the east. Since that didn't happen.....TOUGH, Finley can play wherever he wants.
Old 08-17-05, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Finley can still play wherever he wants. In fact Finley can do the exact same thing Cuban is doing and say "I'll go to San Antonio unless you accelerate my payments". It's a two way street.
Old 08-17-05, 10:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
I don't think he could re-structure the contract in any way, shape, or form to pay him $50M in one year. But he could re-structure it so as to pay him more than the reported $5M per year. I think it shows smarts if it's true. People would be applaudiing Sam Presti if he thought of it.
I agree that people would be applauding Sam Presti if he thought of it. However, that doesn't make it right.

In recent years, folks have thought that todays stars make so much money they would never succumb to the kind of payola that resulted in the Blacksox scandal of 1919 or the college bribery scandals of the 1950's. Yet, the complexities associated with modern day concracts proves that room for "influence peddling" is back.

It will have to be addressed. Otherwise it will lead to serious repercussions for pro sports.
Old 08-17-05, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Cuban was so smart why did it take him 5 years to figure out he's been going about things the wrong way. He'll, he could have traded Finley, Nash and Dirk to LA for Shaq. It's not like he has Nash and Finley anymore, and let's face it, Dirk isn't leading anyone anywhere by himself.
Old 08-17-05, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Just to clear some things up.

Cuban is not restructuring anything.

Finley's current contract has a clause that if he is waived he receives the rest of whatever is owed him in installments over ten years. What Cuban is said to have done is agree to not enact that clause if Finley goes East. Finley can still go where ever he wants, this is just an incentive for Finley to go East. Clauses similar to the one above are all over NBA contracts and get inacted or ignored all the time. They are optional for whoever holds the right of the clause (in this case Cuban) and there is nothing illegal or backhanded about what is going on.

Similar cases would be teams not excersizing a cut payment clause for a team's favorite player who injures himself in a way that could void the insurance clauses on his contract or even cases in which player agents forget to excersize their player's free agent clause (like happened to Terrel Owens who was forced to accept a trade to Baltimore before he cried to the NFL and Baltimore traded him to Philly).
Old 08-17-05, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

yeah, he sure knows what he's doing. getting rid of nash, overpaying for keith van horn, having to get rid of finley to begin with...
Old 08-17-05, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Would you want to be paying Finley $17 mill to drain 3 pointers against you while playing for the Spurs or Suns? I wouldn't. I'd gladly pay him an extra few million to go play for the Heat or Pistons.
He'll get paid $5 million but I get your point, so no, I wouldn't.
Old 08-17-05, 07:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv
yeah, he sure knows what he's doing. getting rid of nash, overpaying for keith van horn, having to get rid of finley to begin with...
Just to set you straight...
1) Cuban didn't get rid of Nash. This is such a wide misconception, and it kills me when people discuss this without actually knowing the facts. Cuban couldn't match the very high contract the Suns offered. I think most everyone at the time thought the Suns were overpaying for a injury-prone point gaurd who typically broke down at the end of the season.
2) He didn't overpay for KVH. He took on the contract that was given to him by the Knicks(?) But they were able to get him for nothing, literally. And KVH is a very skilled player.
3) Finley was a stud when he signed his contract. Without Finley the Mavericks would not have been nearly as good as they have been in the 2000s. He deserved the contract when he got it. His age, declining and the amnesty clause made it impossible for the Mavs not to waive Finley.
Old 08-17-05, 08:16 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Man, these rules have been confusing.....
why only $5mill? I thought his deal was for $51 mill?
It's for $51 mil but Finley's deal was written so that if he were to get waived the money would be deferred so that he would only get $5 mil per year for the next 3 years at least. In other words it becomes a backloaded deal.
It has nothing to do with the Amnesty rule but with how Finley's contract was done.
Alan Houston has a similiar deal.
Old 08-18-05, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wanted to post the introduction to his blog that wasn't posted in the original post:
Quote:
Its not just business, its personal

In the NBA when a player is signed to a contract, the business side is downplayed. Everyone is happy. Everyone knows there is an incredible amount of risk taken, but its a time to celebrate and ignore what could go wrong. All is right in the world.

When teams have to release a player, the NBA becomes a business and all involved say just that. Its just a business and we all understand that these things happen. But its not true. The NBA is never just a business. Its always business. Its always personal. All good businesses are personal. The best businesses are very personal.
Old 08-18-05, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What Cuban is doing sounds very much like collusion, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is found to be against league rules. He is essentially paying a guy to go where he wants him to go. This would be like Jerry West paying Swift a few million bucks to go sign with the nets instead of division rival Houston. Now, Cuban may have found some kind of loophole in the rules, but it's cheating in my book. Where is the line? Why not bribe the refs as well? Just find some loophole and exploit it. Maybe give them lavish gifts for Christmas.

The league has bailed him out on the Finley contract. They gave him this chance to get out of one of his boneheaded deals that everyone else knew was stupid at the time. The catch is, you can't re-sign your player. Now for him to try to use the rule and go to great measures to avoid being burned by it is smarmy, and low.

Any schlub could come up with this idea of effectively bribing a player. Only Cuban, though, would have the gall to think he could get away with it.
Old 08-18-05, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
1) Cuban didn't get rid of Nash. This is such a wide misconception, and it kills me when people discuss this without actually knowing the facts. Cuban couldn't match the very high contract the Suns offered. I think most everyone at the time thought the Suns were overpaying for a injury-prone point gaurd who typically broke down at the end of the season.
2) He didn't overpay for KVH. He took on the contract that was given to him by the Knicks(?) But they were able to get him for nothing, literally. And KVH is a very skilled player.
3) Finley was a stud when he signed his contract. Without Finley the Mavericks would not have been nearly as good as they have been in the 2000s. He deserved the contract when he got it. His age, declining and the amnesty clause made it impossible for the Mavs not to waive Finley.
I don't know if I buy point 1 on Nash. I think Cuban could have matched the Suns offer but chose not to. He thought the Suns offer was too large and backed off. So far, he appears to have screwed up. Of course, if Nash skills fade in the next year or two, Cuban will start to look a whole lot smarter.
Old 08-18-05, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I buy point 1 on Nash. I think Cuban could have matched the Suns offer but chose not to. He thought the Suns offer was too large and backed off. So far, he appears to have screwed up. Of course, if Nash skills fade in the next year or two, Cuban will start to look a whole lot smarter.
If I remember correctly, it was actually the duration that was the problem - not the dollar amount. I wouldnt call cuban refusing to match as getting rid of Nash, though. He wanted to keep Nash.
Old 08-18-05, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Well what ever Cuban did seemed to work.

Quote:
"The Detroit Pistons and the Miami Heat squared off in the NBA playoffs in June to determine the best team in the Eastern Conference. Now, they're battling for Michael Finley, arguably the best available unsigned free agent. Although several media reports indicated that Detroit and Miami are joined by San Antonio and Phoenix in trying to woo Finley, three NBA officials contacted on Tuesday said that Finley will decide between Miami or Detroit." MichiganLive
Old 08-18-05, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
i think the funniest part of this post is the "KVH is a very skilled player" part. guess that's why so many teams can't wait to get rid of him.

by the way, the suns sure got ripped off on that nash deal, huh?
Old 08-20-05, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Mavs, not Cuban, getting defensive
Outspoken owner ready to change his ways for shot at title
10:16 PM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....21a8a60a.html

For a guy who has been known to be something less than receptive to criticism, Mark Cuban is doing a rather amazing job of confessing to a crime no one accused him of committing.

The Mavericks trotted out five new players for a news conference Friday, which is par for the course for this team during the summer. Only this time, the new players do not represent radical change.

Doug Christie is here to play defense and help fill the void left by Michael Finley. DeSagana Diop will get some backup center minutes that once went to Shawn Bradley. Darrell Armstrong returns to play a backup point guard role. Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell are roster bottom-feeders, guys you really won't hear from during the 2005-06 season.

The Mavericks are pursuing stability. They are pursuing chemistry. They are following a plan laid out by head coach Avery Johnson that is a 180-degree turn from the days of Don Nelson.

The days of pursuing star players, collecting assets along with bad contracts, are over, Cuban said. The model he followed under Nelson the last six years got the team back into the Western Conference playoff picture. But, ultimately, it did not work.

"If there's a message here, it's about being smart," Cuban said. "I'm not saying we aren't going to spend money. But we are going to be smart."

The league's luxury tax and a reduction in the increases of TV revenues have ordered a new way of doing business. Cuban is almost apologetic about having let Nelson have his way with this team and its organizational structure the last six years.

"You only know what you know," he said. "All offense all the time? I had no reason to think that it couldn't work. But it didn't."

It's not as if Cuban has made a mess of things since buying the team from Ross Perot Jr. Leaving Nelson to do his thing enabled the Mavericks to become a viable 50-win team. But it couldn't get them any higher than that, Cuban learned that, and now he has moved on.

Johnson talks about championships, a subject that Nelson often avoided in discussing his long, successful but championship-free career as a coach.

The Mavericks aren't going to be the team that everyone calls whenever they want to dump a player with an oversized contract. Well, they will still make the calls for a while, I suppose. But Cuban has seen that model fail.

He also has seen the success of the Detroit Pistons and the San Antonio Spurs the last two years. The Spurs' way is Avery's way. Play defense, develop some young players to serve as backups to your core, make smart decisions.

One difference. The Spurs have Tim Duncan in the middle, not Dirk Nowitzki. That may not be so significant at the offensive end, but it is at the end where Johnson knows he must upgrade this team's play.

That's what brought Christie to Dallas. He's not the type of player Don Nelson would have been likely to pursue. At 35, his offense is a bit limited, though he had been a high percentage 3-point shooter his entire career before last year.

Christie is a smart, hard-working player who brings toughness at the defensive end. The Mavs need Christie to rub off on Marquis Daniels and on point guard Devin Harris, already developing a defensive mindset.

The Mavericks are charting a new course without doing anything that mandates a fall from the 50-win club.

Cuban's intent is not to pinch pennies. It's to deliver a banner that matches the Stars' 1998-99 flag that flies at American Airlines Center.

"It's a business, but there's more emotion involved than there is in other businesses," Cuban said. "If I wanted to run it just like a business, I'd follow the Clippers' model. They can make a lot of money. But I don't have that championship."

A new coach and an owner always open to new ways of thinking are guiding the Mavericks in the right direction.

E-mail [email protected]
Old 08-20-05, 02:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The template for success in the NBA changed from the Portland model of 1999-2000 when I got to the league, to the Detroit, San Antonio, Miami model.
He was using Portland
as the model for success in 1999-2000? Why? What success had Portland ever had and shouldn't it
have been fresh in his mind that the Spurs had just won the championship?
Old 08-20-05, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmolina
Rich didn't try to disrupt this thread, he just stated an opinion on the topic.
People actually think this?
Old 08-20-05, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20, is it not? Was there a big groundswell against Cuban for not signing Nash? No!!! For a reason. The Suns overpaid (which it looked like at the time) for an aging point gaurd who has a history of breaking down late in the season. You can't look at something hasn't worked out and say that Cuban "got rid" of Nash. He chose not to overpay. I don't think you can seriously look at it in hindsight and blame Cuban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv
i think the funniest part of this post is the "KVH is a very skilled player" part. guess that's why so many teams can't wait to get rid of him.

by the way, the suns sure got ripped off on that nash deal, huh?
You find it funny? Great. Read and learn.
"Skilled" doesn't always translate to "superstar". People like you might think the two are one and the same, I guess. VH is a career 17-point a game scorer. That's what skill means. He has a polished offensive game. He, by no means, is a perfect player.
The Suns made out great in that deal, so I don't understand what you're getting at.
Old 08-20-05, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Cuban is a businessman. Trying to negotiate with Finley to go to the east is in the best interest of his business (the Mavs). You can't fault the guy for this. The weird thing is that the NBA would allow such a thing. Doesn't it seem a bit like tampering?? But if they do allow it, then more power to him. As much as I would love seeing Finley in a Spurs uniform, I got to admit I am impressed by the fearlessness of Cuban. Guy just doesn't care what anyone thinks of him.

Doom