News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-05, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Mutombo Expects To Re-Sign With Houston

AP - Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo said Thursday he expects to re-sign with the team.

Mutombo, 39, has indicated he will sign a two-year contract with the Rockets, the Houston Chronicle and Houston television station KRIV reported Thursday.

Mutombo's agent, David Falk, told The Associated Press he could not confirm that.

"Dikembe has really enjoyed his tenure in Houston. They've done a good job of making him feel welcome there," he said. "It's his decision to remain in Houston. I'm confident that [Rockets general manager] Carroll Dawson and I will finalize officially a contract for him. It's a great situation for him."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._with_houston/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-05, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I doubt that he's only 39. Dikembe can be an effective back up C for years, a nice defensive presence.
Old 08-12-05, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rod
I doubt that he's only 39. Dikembe can be an effective back up C for years, a nice defensive presence.
Mounts take millions of years to be formed and millions of years to disappear, so expect him to be in the NBA till the ends of times.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-05, 04:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
You're right, he's an ageless wonder. He was very effective for Houston last year and gave no sign that he couldn't go on forever.

Last season he played in 80 games, averaging 15 minutes per game. He shot ~50% FG and got 1.26 blocks and 5.3 rebounds in those 15 minutes. Not too bad for a 100 year old man.
Old 08-12-05, 05:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Does this transaction make signing nick van exel more realistic. If Houston is going to resign mutombo and barry then how will they sign nick van exel? They wouldn't have much left since they already used their mid level exception on swift. Also Dallas looks like their going to sign Doug Christie. Unless nick is willing to take the remaing two mil dallas has for their mid level
Old 08-13-05, 12:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Cookie Monster's still alive?!

Old 08-13-05, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
If only he we could get him add Dikembe to the "ideal spurs" list

Last edited by Silver Samurai; 08-13-05 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-13-05, 04:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkech
Does this transaction make signing nick van exel more realistic. If Houston is going to resign mutombo and barry then how will they sign nick van exel? They wouldn't have much left since they already used their mid level exception on swift. Also Dallas looks like their going to sign Doug Christie. Unless nick is willing to take the remaing two mil dallas has for their mid level
they have his bird rights so they don't have to go into their remaining money to sign him or jon barry. so they still get NVE with their 1.8 million
Old 08-13-05, 11:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm not sure we want NVE. I hope we save our LLE for next year. NVE just wants to play for us because he lives here in Sugar Land.
Old 08-14-05, 12:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoucity
I'm not sure we want NVE. I hope we save our LLE for next year. NVE just wants to play for us because he lives here in Sugar Land.
Not want Van Excel? Geeze who would i rather have backing up Parker? Beno or Van Excel? COUGH COUGH Van Excel.
Old 08-14-05, 07:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan21
Not want Van Excel? Geeze who would i rather have backing up Parker? Beno or Van Excel? COUGH COUGH Van Excel.
I mean't for the Rockets. For the Spurs, it depends on how good you think Beno will be. He may yet end up being a keeper. NVE might be worth a 1 year contract but I don't know about 2 years. He's far too injury prone now.