News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-10-05, 09:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Austin Toros

There don't seem to be any articles on it yet when I do a Google search
but the new Austin team will be the Toros.
They are trying to get Dennis Johnson to coach.

Source: News8Austin(channel 8)

This could be an interesting experiment. It was announced that they are
permitted to have contact with the University of Texas and they are aloud
to hook up with NBA teams.
Maybe there will be some scrimmages with UT and maybe we'll see some
of the Spurs Euros come here to develope instead of playing overseas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Colors are blue, gold, and red. Cool logo. Schedule is posted on the NBDL website.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever
Colors are blue, gold, and red. Cool logo. Schedule is posted on the NBDL website.
I wonder why I couldn't get a hit on that with google.
Looks like they play about 50 games. That would be a good warmup for a
transitioning rookie.
Old 08-10-05, 10:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Austin Toros or Durham Bulls?

I won't waste my time... Unless they're selling $1 LoneStar tallboys like the IceBats.
Old 08-10-05, 11:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

I can't make myself like the name or logo. Lame!

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 08-11-05, 12:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

P.S. capitalcity, wrong logo in the avitar... this is the championship web site..lol

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 08-11-05, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Wow. Thats a pretty crappy name. Oh well, Ill go see them anyways. Just wont be buying any of the merchandise
Old 08-11-05, 09:21 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Toros Ride Into Austin!
The new D-League team in Austin has announced its new team logo and name, the Toros. The Austin Toros name recognizes the diverse makeup of Austin and its surrounding communities, along with the expanding international reach of the sport of basketball.
link
Old 08-11-05, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

And the team's name is ... Toros
Austin's D-League franchise unveils logo and colors

By Andre' Shannon

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 11, 2005

With music blaring and flashy lighting circling the room, the leaders of the Austin's new professional basketball team pulled a string and unveiled their franchise's name -- the Austin Toros.

The logo for the new NBA Development League team features a Toro with a basketball and the state of Texas serving as the backdrop. Game uniforms, featuring the team nickname on home jerseys and the city name on road uniforms, will bear team colors of blue, gold and red.

"We are very excited and proud to unveil the Toros' identity in the Austin market," team president Mike Berry said. "The Toro is a powerful icon synonymous with Central Texas and it is only fitting to pair it with the state outline as we make our home downtown, in the capital city of Texas."

The logo brings to mind the capital city's other bovine mascot (Bevo), and the mascot was designed to reflect Austin's diverse makeup and the international appeal of basketball.

But team owner David Kahn pointed out a major distinction between his logo and that of the University of Texas.

"The horns are down," he said. "We were very respectful that the horns not be up. We never wanted it to be felt that we were treading into anybody's territory."

Austin will be the first NBA-associated and development league team to have a nickname of Spanish origin. Kahn said a lot of thought went into deciding on the final name and the local music scene was explored as another possible naming avenue, but the bull won out.

"Picking the name here was hard because of the dynamic feel of the city," he said. "I'm really proud of the name, I think it speaks of the community here, it's about Austin and it's about basketball and bulls and it just speaks of more than just one thing."

The season begins Nov. 26. The team will play its games in the Austin Convention Center.

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/cont...6d0ab0014.html
Old 08-11-05, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
"Picking the name here was hard because of the dynamic feel of the city," he said. "I'm really proud of the name, I think it speaks of the community here, it's about Austin and it's about basketball and bulls and it just speaks of more than just one thing."
I think it speaks of a brand of lawnmowers.