News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Rumor: Spurs and Dale Davis

Insiders reporting a rumor that the Spurs were close to a deal with Dale Davis, but that the team is interested in seeing how some of the amnesty player releases work out before making another move.

His agent is pushing to make a deal this week and the Sixers are looking strong. Eventhough the Pacers have said they'd like to keep him they don't have enough money.

I think Davis would be a great addition. Likely taking the place of Big Dog or Tony Massenburg.

Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wouldn't mind it. Anyone that's willing to work is welcome.
Old 08-10-05, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Insiders reporting a rumor that the Spurs were close to a deal with Dale Davis, but that the team is interested in seeing how some of the amnesty player releases work out before making another move.

His agent is pushing to make a deal this week and the Sixers are looking strong. Eventhough the Pacers have said they'd like to keep him they don't have enough money.

I think Davis would be a great addition. Likely taking the place of Big Dog or Tony Massenburg.

Thoughts?
So are you saying the Spurs FO is waiting of the AP to shake down BEFORE signing Davis or that they are close to signing Davis, and then will wait for the AP to sign anyone else? Also any news on Big Dog coming back? Obviously Davis plays the 4 and 5, whereas big dog plays the 3.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-05, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would love the addition of Davis, he's always been a big bruiser downlow and gave Indiana some very quality minutes last year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

A moderate upgrade from TMass. A little bigger. While I would welcome Davis, I not sure about this-

Unless Rasho is moved this would leave the Spurs with a pretty crowed front court- while getting up there in years davis still averaged 23 minutes in the playoffs and 6 rebounds- so I would expect him to still wish some PT. With Duncan, Nazr, Horry, Oberto and Rasho?
Furthermore, I have seen comments in which Davis states he wishes to remain in Indy.
Old 08-10-05, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

From an Indiana paper:

The Pacers will have 15 players under contract when free agent guard Sarunas Jasikevicius is signed around the middle of next week. That group includes the retired Reggie Miller, however, who likely will be waived under the NBA's new amnesty clause that allows teams to drop a player to avoid his luxury tax penalty. The deadline for that is Aug. 15.

The Pacers have $1.6 million available as a salary cap extension and a portion of their mid-level exception (about $1.5 million) to sign a free agent.

Davis, 36, has drawn interest from several teams, most prominently Detroit, Cleveland, New Jersey and Seattle, and could command an offer in excess of the exceptions available to the Pacers.

His agent, Chubby Wells, said Davis hopes to return to the Pacers, but a deal with another team could be in place as early as next week.

"Dale really wanted to come back there, but it's business," Wells said. "If they can do some things to make it work, Dale will come back. If not, he'll go somewhere else. He has a fondness for the Pacers, so obviously he's keeping his fingers crossed something works out."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...47/1004/SPORTS
Old 08-10-05, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He would definitely fit the vet C role and add some toughness to our big rotation.
Old 08-10-05, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
...but that the team is interested in seeing how some of the amnesty player releases work out before making another move.

Old 08-10-05, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If the Spurs don't trade Rasho I don't see why get D.Davis

Nazr/Rasho/Davis
TD/Horry/Oberto

I think if we sign Davis it's a lock we'll trade Rasho
Old 08-10-05, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I think Davis would be a great addition
I agree...but with that happens with some other teams have some interesting possiblities too
Old 08-10-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Dale Davis would be a solid addition to the front line and it would mean that we will have a "Rasho was traded" thread in the future.
Old 08-10-05, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil

Nazr/Rasho/Davis
TD/Horry/Oberto

The point is, they are. But regardless, someone till take on that TMass role.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-10-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Nazr/Rasho/Davis
TD/Horry/Oberto

To who, who is willing to take Rasho?
Old 08-10-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I think if Rasho stays he or Oberto will play T-Mass role
Old 08-10-05, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I think if Rasho stays he or Oberto will play T-Mass role
They don't want Rasho to stay. The goal is to move him out, but they are obviously putting safegaurds so they aren't weak up front.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-10-05, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think we all know that they don't want Rasho around anymore, but doesn't seem like anyone is willing to take him off our hands.
Old 08-10-05, 04:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
alright amente... what's the REAL story?
Old 08-10-05, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

D.Davis can still play, rebound and defend of course we'd take him! Just look what he did just last year with the pacers, incredible for a guy 37 years old but he's still in great shape. He could play the kevin willis role perfectly.
Old 08-10-05, 04:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dale Davis would be a great addition.
Old 08-10-05, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Don't see DDavis coming, he would definitely want a mulit-year contract, something I don't see the Spurs giving at this point, simply because it's hard to trade Rasho for expiring contracts right now.
Old 08-10-05, 04:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Why can't TMass take that TMass role ? There hasn't been much talk about that.
Old 08-10-05, 04:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Davis would be the best center on your team, if he signed. You've got to limit his minutes though.
Old 08-10-05, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Don't see DDavis coming
Well the report read that the deal was close to being done but it was the Spurs that wanted to see what happens with other players that got hit with the amnesty player releases first

so it seems DDavis was on the verge of being a Spur already if the insider report was correct
Old 08-10-05, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Davis would be the best center on your team, if he signed. You've got to limit his minutes though.
That wouldn't be a problem with Horry, Oberto and Nazr. I just don't see this happening for many of the reasons listed above. I would like this to be true but
Old 08-10-05, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well the report read that the deal was close to being done but it was the Spurs that wanted to see what happens with other players that got hit with the amnesty player releases first

so it seems DDavis was on the verge of being a Spur already if the insider report was correct
Exactly - if the report was correct. Of course, I'll be very happy if Holt proves me wrong and gives DDavis some good money even if that means going over the tax threshold.
Old 08-10-05, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

How much money do you guys have to offer, anyway? Still got the whole MLE?
Old 08-10-05, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
How much money do you guys have to offer, anyway? Still got the whole MLE?
We got half of it left.
Old 08-10-05, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
We got half of it left.
What happened to the other half? Horry?
Old 08-10-05, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
What happened to the other half? Horry?
Oberto
Old 08-10-05, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i think Oberto got half of the MLE.
Old 08-10-05, 05:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Oh! Of course.

That will piss me off if Dale leaves for roughly a million more a year, especially when you consider Donnie was the one who gave him that big ass contract in the first place.
Old 08-10-05, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Exactly - if the report was correct. Of course, I'll be very happy if Holt proves me wrong and gives DDavis some good money even if that means going over the tax threshold.
Well Amente has said SA will prob end up slightly over the threshold
Old 08-10-05, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtcsc
Why can't TMass take that TMass role ? There hasn't been much talk about that.
Because Davis is the better player. So since Oberto is new, that role should get some playing time.

Old 08-10-05, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I've always thought Dale Davis would look great in Silver & Black. He doesn't need the ball to have a major impact on the game. He showed last year that he still has something to contribute despite being on the downside of his career. Anyway, he would be one more character guy to add to the team and join the list of wily veterans who've won rings with the Spurs. That group is getting big now.

Regarding the luxury tax implications: I don't think it is as prohibitive to the Spurs doing business as in years pass. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the redistribution of luxury tax dollars doesn't just go to only the teams who are below the luxury tax threshold anymore. In other words, the Spurs could receive more back in the redistribution than they paid in. I believe this provision was put into the new CBA because owners like Donald Sterling were making millions playing the system to their advantage.
Old 08-10-05, 06:43 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
Regarding the luxury tax implications: I don't think it is as prohibitive to the Spurs doing business as in years pass. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the redistribution of luxury tax dollars doesn't just go to only the teams who are below the luxury tax threshold anymore. In other words, the Spurs could receive more back in the redistribution than they paid in. I believe this provision was put into the new CBA because owners like Donald Sterling were making millions playing the system to their advantage.
well, the way I read the new CBA the more likely distribution of the luxury tax appears to be a full share to teams below the luxury tax threshold with the remainder being split evenly among all teams. This is likely to result in teams losing about $3 million in distributions if they end up being taxpayers.

Quote:
Teams will be required to have 13 players (up from 11) under contract with the maximum staying at 15. Related to this, teams will have a salary cap hold for every roster spot under 12 (up from 11). The league has guaranteed that teams will have an average of 14 players and will be fined if that average is not met.

So even if the spurs just sign 3 or 4 more players for minimum salaries they should be over the tax threshold. They are only like $2-$2.5 million under it now.
Old 08-10-05, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Dale Davis would be great for the Spurs he is great off the boards.
Old 08-10-05, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Oh boy, I could get excited about Dale Davis on the Spurs. I was so happy for him when the Pacers retrieved him from Portland last year, but the Spurs would be even better. He's another one of my lunch pail type of guys--nothing flashy, just hard work and hustle.

Oops, I made a mistake. Davis was traded to Golden State by Portland. The Pacers rescued him from Golden State.

Last edited by shelden; 08-11-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 11:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Teams will be required to have 13 players (up from 11) under contract with the maximum staying at 15. Related to this, teams will have a salary cap hold for every roster spot under 12 (up from 11). The league has guaranteed that teams will have an average of 14 players and will be fined if that average is not met.

So even if the spurs just sign 3 or 4 more players for minimum salaries they should be over the tax threshold. They are only like $2-$2.5 million under it now.
I'm not very good at going to the last penny but I'm pretty sure if the Spurs offer Davis the remaining of MLE and then sign 3-4 players for the minimum, they'll be at least 3 mil above tax threshold. For others, barely over tax threshold and 3mil+ above threshold don't mean much difference, but we're talking about Holt here, and I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-10-05, 11:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Man. Runi better be worth losing Dale.

I'm convinced that either you guys or the 'Sixers will have Dale when all is said and done. Philly's making quite the push for him, I think they might throw 3 mil at him.
Old 08-11-05, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Davis might believe he's made plenty of money in this league and is ready to win a championship... though I'm not clear why that'd put the Spurs over Indiana, necessarily, especially since he'd get less playing time here. Maybe a team like Philly can outbid. I'd take him as a third center, definitely, and agree with others here it'd basically mean the FO has clear plans to move Nesterovic.
Old 08-11-05, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

If Davis signs this would be the most (talented) bigs ive ever seen since the BRUISE BROTHERS.

TD,Naz,Horry,Oberto,Rasho, AND Dale?

If the Spurs keep Horry and Dale fresh for the playoffs they could do some damage.
Old 08-11-05, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Posted on Thu, Aug. 11, 2005

Sixers in the hunt for

7-footer from Suns

By PHIL JASNER

[email protected]

As a player, Maurice Cheeks had a terrific instinct for being in the right place at the right time. As the new coach of the 76ers, he hasn't lost his touch.

Cheeks just happened to be in his hometown of Chicago yesterday, and - at the suggestion of president/general manager Billy King - wound up having lunch with unrestricted free-agent center/forward Steven Hunter.

The Sixers are believed to have made an offer Tuesday to the 7-foot Hunter, 23, a four-year NBA veteran who spent three seasons with the Orlando Magic before joining the Phoenix Suns last season.

There also is reason to believe that if the Sixers are unsuccessful in their pursuit of Hunter, they will turn their attention to Dale Davis, a 14-year veteran who split last season between the Golden State Warriors and Indiana Pacers.

"Steven did meet with Maurice, but how it's going to go from there, I don't know,'' said Mark Bartelstein, Hunter's Chicago-based agent. "Don't jump to any conclusions from this, because a lot of people are pursuing Steven. He's the top big man on the market, and we're keeping the door open.

"I wasn't there, but Steven was impressed with Maurice, as I knew he would be. But where this is going to lead, I don't know.''

Hunter was the No. 15 overall pick in the 2001 draft, taken by the Magic. He has career averages of 3.9 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks, and has created interest because of his youth, athleticism and upside.

Davis, 36, was the No. 13 overall pick in 1991, taken by the Pacers. He has career averages of 8.4 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks.

"[The Sixers] know Dale, they've been around him, they have a comfort level with him,'' said Chubby Wells, Davis' agent. "We have other teams interested; we haven't made a decision yet. We're waiting on a team that's trying to make a trade.''

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/12354352.htm

Looks like an offer was reportedly made to Hunter which would mean Davis is not Sixers first choice. Based on the thread rumor this would mean the Spurs have the inside track on landing Davis depending on what happens on Monday with the amnesty clause deadline.
Old 08-11-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hunter or D Davis, who is better?
Old 08-11-05, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlspurshk
Hunter or D Davis, who is better?
It depends on the teams needs. For the Spurs Davis fits the position very well. The Spurs need a gritty vet who is aggressive and strong to play limited minutes but hold their own defensively against the league top center. Hunter is a youngster in comparison who needs more minutes to develop his game. Hunter is not as strong or aggressive as Davis therefore IMO making Davis the better player for the Spurs.
Old 08-11-05, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
"[The Sixers] know Dale, they've been around him, they have a comfort level with him,'' said Chubby Wells, Davis' agent. "We have other teams interested; we haven't made a decision yet. We're waiting on a team that's trying to make a trade.''
Hmmm, waiting on a team that's trying to make a trade! That could be the Spurs.
Old 08-11-05, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Hmmm, waiting on a team that's trying to make a trade! That could be the Spurs.
The Spurs could do without a current big man in order to make room for Davis in the rotation. In return the Spurs could fill a couple other spots on the roster, maybe they found the right deal.
Old 08-11-05, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
It depends on the teams needs. For the Spurs Davis fits the position very well. The Spurs need a gritty vet who is aggressive and strong to play limited minutes but hold their own defensively against the league top center. Hunter is a youngster in comparison who needs more minutes to develop his game. Hunter is not as strong or aggressive as Davis therefore IMO making Davis the better player for the Spurs.
I agree,
Building for the Future- Iwould take a chance on Hunter
Future is now (Spurs)- Davis
Old 08-12-05, 08:45 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
I agree,
Building for the Future- Iwould take a chance on Hunter
Future is now (Spurs)- Davis
hunter just signed with philly!
(5yrs/16.5M)
philly was said to be the most interested team in davis. now that they have signed hunter as back-up C, they won't be interested in davis any longer (i guess).
dallas wanted to get hunter, so i won't be surprised if they now try to get davis. (dallas is also said to be interested in waived brian grant)

if spurs are really interested in signing davis, their chances should be better now.
Old 08-12-05, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

With Oberto, Nazr, and Rasho already on your team, I'm hoping Dale decides he won't get any PT with you.

Philly out of the picture makes me think maybe he'll stay.... I'm hopin'....
Old 08-12-05, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Davis really wants to win an NBA title he will choose the Spurs and I believe he can be worked in the rotation in different scenarios. Its all about matchups and who is playing the best with the Spurs.