News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-10-05, 10:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Add your Ideal Spur...

Okay, I need everyone's input on this. Who do you think if on the current Spurs roster would most help us. Let's"try" and be realistic. Who's personality, game, and ethic would fit best in the Spurs system currently. Remember, this is hypothetical so you can pick whoever you want. (Hey, it's the offseason and our minds are wandering ).

I've got a few that I like...

Richard Jefferson-GREAT personality who I think would definately step up his defense in Pop's system.

Brevin Knight-a "pass first" guard with outstanding defensive skills. IFFY jumper but gets in the lane quick and can finish. Kinda reminds me of AJ with better on the ball defensive skills and stronger physically.

Jerome James-...just kidding

...I'll probably add a few later, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Shane Battier - everything about him indicates a player that should be a Spur.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

James Jones would be the SF you guys are looking for. He's a great guy too.

Reggie Evans, to dole out some punishment in return when teams like Seattle get chippy
Old 08-10-05, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Richard Jefferson? hell no. i was sick of him during the olympics games.

i'd take Yao at Center.
Old 08-10-05, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente

Chuck Swirksy, the face and voice of the Toronto Raptors had claimed on more than one occasion: I think Shane Battier should be the president!!!

Old 08-10-05, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Nocioni - team player, great defender, big heart
Old 08-10-05, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Jeff Foster - a great role player a very solid defender (him and Rasheed play Duncan better then anyone) he's from SA, and plays agaisnt the Spurs every summer, so they already know him.

Battier - Perfect replacement for Bowen when he retires, and would get even better learning from Pop and Bowen.

Ben Wallace - Great defender, probably the best role player in the game, an all-star caliber player who can get his number without being involved in the offense (perfect fit with TD), teamed-up with Duncan would shut teams down in the paint. He makes less then Rasho, and he's a team player!

Earl Watson - Perfect fit for a back-up PG, great defender, solid PG, team player.

Last edited by bo spur; 08-10-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Nice...very nice-the thought has crossed my mind on MANY occasions. Also, I love Andre Iguodala and think that Chris Mihm would play hard for us.
Old 08-10-05, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Ditto, A friend of his works with me and by his word he's all spurs material.
Too bad it will never happen.
Old 08-10-05, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Jeff Foster - a great role player a very solid defender (him and Rasheed play Duncan better then anyone) he's from SA, and plays agaisnt the Spurs every summer, so they already know him.

Ben Wallace - Great defender, probably the best role player in the game, an all-star caliber player who can get his number without being involved in the offense (perfect fit with TD), teamed-up with Duncan would shut teams down in the paint. Team player!
Either one of these guys would make the Spurs deadly.
Old 08-10-05, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Battier was first on my list, and I like Foster and, to a much lesser extent, Najera. I like Bosh and Szerbiak ( sp? ) , too.
Old 08-10-05, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

While were talking about Foster, some Pacer fan recently saw him walking all by his lonesome somewhere in Indy. Being the fanboy he was, he of course hollered at him for an autograph. They ended up talking to him for quite some time on the fanboy's porch--- Jeff was completely wasted, blabbering on about how his back is recovering well (it's his hip that had surgery) and stuff.

The funny thing is, this fan wanted to TRADE Jeff because of this! Jeff Foster: Town Drunk, he said.

Soup
Fosters: Australian for Rebound

Last edited by SoupIsGood; 08-10-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Shane Battier was the first guy that came to my mind too.

All it would take for him to be a Spur would be for Rasho to start playing aggressive enough that Nazr becomes expendable, since Jerry West loves Nazr's game and would love to acquire him.

In other words, it will never happen. Well, maybe -- with modern medicine anything is possible -- even a heart-guts-testicles transplant for Rasho.
Old 08-10-05, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I like Nash also. Seems to be a good guy.
Old 08-10-05, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orly
Ditto, A friend of his works with me and by his word he's all spurs material.
and to top it off, we already do Battier's website.

Old 08-10-05, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
While were talking about Foster, some Pacer fan recently saw him walking all by his lonesome somewhere in Indy. Being the fanboy he was, he of course hollered at him for an autograph. They ended up talking to him for quite some time on the fanboy's porch--- Jeff was completely wasted, blabbering on about how his back is recovering well (it's his hip that had surgery) and stuff.

The funny thing is, this fan wanted to TRADE Jeff because of this! Jeff Foster: Town Drunk, he said.

Soup
While we are on player sightings, anyone remember Vern Flemming of the Pacers? I saw him at the Indy Zoo last week.
Old 08-10-05, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone
While we are on player sightings, anyone remember Vern Flemming of the Pacers? I saw him at the Indy Zoo last week.
Was he Visiting or working?

SpursReport Team Veteran

How could I forget one of my favorite all around players AK47, he plays hard at both ends, could play SF or PF, is a team player and has SPUR written all over him!
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIAS
I like Nash also. Seems to be a good guy.
San Antonio is to conservative for Nash. His statements about Bush during the build p to the iraq war could have come out of John Kerry's mouth
Old 08-10-05, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Mickael Pietrus - solid defense, deadly (although streaky) from 3 and a slasher to boot. If he can learn when to slash and when to shoot would have a great offensive game.
Old 08-10-05, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Was he Visiting or working?

Visiting...as far as I know.
Old 08-10-05, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

SAR
Old 08-10-05, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Since we are dreaming what about Peja Stojakovic he is a quiet humble leader that has a solid offensive and defensive game.
Old 08-10-05, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

^^ did you just say Peja has a defensive game?
Old 08-10-05, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Jason Kidd. We can trade Parker for him or play Parker at the 2...........

(Damn, another one of those acid flashbacks!)
Old 08-10-05, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
^^ did you just say Peja has a defensive game?
He is not known for his defense because his offense is so good but he he has average defensive game which has improved over the years and also averages over 1 steal / game.
Old 08-10-05, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
He is not known for his defense because his offense is so good but he he has average defensive game which has improved over the years and also averages over 1 steal / game.
Well I guess if Pop can get Hedo and Big Dog to play D, he could probably do even more with Peja.
Old 08-10-05, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

S. Battier, funny how alot of us have the same person in mind but the chances of getting him are slim to none. Those Duke guys just know how to play. I think Duhon suprised some people last year.
Old 08-10-05, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hard to top Battier as a pick, but I think Rashard Lewis would fit nicely here too. Not too many teams in the league have an answer for a 6-10 SF who can score outside and down low.

My ultimate "dream" addition though would be having TD & KG on my front line.
Old 08-10-05, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Shane Battier
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Andre Kirilenko
Tayshaun Prince
Malik Rose
Old 08-10-05, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I love how everyone lists strong/long small forwards...I feel like that will always be a gap that the Spurs won't be too comfortable with in the Post-Robinson Duncan Era.
Old 08-10-05, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dwayne Wade and Shane Battier. Wade would never happen, but it'd be something to see.
Old 08-10-05, 12:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiallo1984
I love how everyone lists strong/long small forwards...I feel like that will always be a gap that the Spurs won't be too comfortable with in the Post-Robinson Duncan Era.
I agree, but it's truly hard to DISagree with (#1)AK47 and (#2)Shane and (#3) :op. The only rivals to Bruce in the league at the 3 defensively and can both hit the 3 as well. I'm glad we have Bruce though because of his versatility on the perimeter...none of these guys I think could hold the Kobe's of the world like Bruce can. I disagree with SAR although if we were to land him I wouldn't pout . I just see him as primarily a low post offensive player and I think he wouldn't be able to play with Tim in the IDEAL offensive situation.
Old 08-10-05, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tim Duncan is my ideal Spur!
Old 08-10-05, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I blame Hedo for all this. The player the majority of us want on the Spurs is the player the Spurs thought Hedo could be.
Old 08-10-05, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Marcus Camby and/or Elton Brand would make great Spurs
Old 08-10-05, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Earl Boykins
Old 08-10-05, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
The player the majority of us want on the Spurs is the player the Spurs thought Hedo could be.
He was, until the playoffs started.
Old 08-10-05, 01:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbandit
San Antonio is to conservative for Nash. His statements about Bush during the build p to the iraq war could have come out of John Kerry's mouth
As opposed to that liberal oasis of Dallas?

Nash can get away with that 1)because he's Canadian and 2)he gives a lot of time and money to orphans in Guatemala and so forth.
Old 08-10-05, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusian
Shane Battier was the first guy that came to my mind too.

All it would take for him to be a Spur would be for Rasho to start playing aggressive enough that Nazr becomes expendable, since Jerry West loves Nazr's game and would love to acquire him.

In other words, it will never happen. Well, maybe -- with modern medicine anything is possible -- even a heart-guts-testicles transplant for Rasho.
A second possiblility would be if Obert turns out to be starting center material. The Spurs could then live w/ Rasho as the back up and still trade Nazr. I've posted this a number of times.
Old 08-10-05, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
James Jones would be the SF you guys are looking for. He's a great guy too.

Reggie Evans, to dole out some punishment in return when teams like Seattle get chippy
James Jones would be a great outside shooter for the Spurs. He was really good last season coming off the bench.
Old 08-10-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Can't believe there aren't any Ray Allen suggestions

Old 08-10-05, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Can't believe there aren't any Ray Allen suggestions
Yeah I could see that now.

Ray - Dammit Bruce I already told you 10 times I'm your team mate now, stop guarding me. I'm telling Pop!
Old 08-10-05, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm a huge Michael Redd fan too, but not over Manu and NOT for the contract that he just got!!

Last edited by JimmyFatSak17; 08-10-05 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Soup

That's because he went to SWT, duh! Stupid Indianians.

hehe
Go CATS!
Old 08-10-05, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quality Players that would play well with Spurs:
Battier
Foster
Nash
Kidd (dare I say?)
MALIK
Chris Bosh
AK47
Elton Brand
Antwan Jamison
Cuttino Mobley
K. Hinrich
some free agent named Devin Brown
Scola (with a different agent)
Camby
Kamen
Boykins
Joe Johnson
Hoiberg
Jon Barry

...that's about it for now
Old 08-10-05, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Dale Davis sounds pretty good!
Old 08-10-05, 04:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Chauncey Billups
Old 08-10-05, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

1996 Michael Jordan

I win
Old 08-10-05, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Shane Battier - Does what is asked of him. When Gasol went down, he was putting up 15-20ppg a night and doing whatever it took to help the team. He's a good defender, and a standup guy. Perfect player for the Spurs.

Andrei Kirilenko - the most unrealistic one. But he's a hard nosed player. He's actually what Pop would want to help Duncan out.

Josh Howard - The most realistic(at one point), because they had a chance to draft him. He's the big 3 that Spurs are now looking for. Out of Wake Forest, like Duncan, so you know you are getting a well coached player.

Chauncy Billups - Not a pass first point guard, but with Manu and the other Spurs, you don't need a pass first point guard. He can post, he has size and plays defense. Another humble player. He's like Duncan on the Pistons. pretty quiet.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis