News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-10-05, 09:53 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Devin Brown Meets With Jazz

Deseret News - No official offer sheet was expected to come out of this first meeting, said Utah Jazz senior vice president Kevin O'Connor, but Salt Lake-born San Antonio Spurs restricted free agent Devin Brown did visit with the Jazz Tuesday in Salt Lake City.

The 6-foot-5, 26-year-old shooting guard, whose play was limited late in the season and in the playoffs by a herniated disk in his back, was making a bit of a get-to-know-you visit to the Jazz Tuesday morning.

"We're doing a little bit of homework on some free agents, and we haven't quit," said O'Connor. "There's nothing imminent. We're having a talk. He's a restricted free agent."

Added O'Connor: "We'll discuss what our business will be (with him Tuesday). We'll just sit down and visit, show him what the Jazz are and what they're not and see where his interest is and where our interest is.

"Fact-finding," O'Connor termed it.

O'Connor had said Monday that the Jazz and other teams would likely wait until Aug. 15 to do much regarding free agents because that's the deadline for teams to take advantage of the NBA's new one-time "amnesty" rule that allows them to waive one costly player. That player's salary would still count against the team, but the amnesty rule keeps it from affecting the luxury tax, so some well-known players have been or will be made free agents.

O'Connor said he could not say if Brown's status as a Salt Lake City native made him more interested in Utah than some of the other cities that have courted him. Brown was born in Utah but grew up in San Antonio and was the leading career scorer at University of Texas at San Antonio.

In a recent story in the San Antonio Express-News, Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, said a dozen teams had shown interest, including Portland, Seattle and Cleveland. Brown said in a recent SAE-N story that he planned to visit several teams in the coming weeks.

The 2005 NBA-champion Spurs are waiting to see if Brown receives an offer sheet from another team. They have the right to match any such offer within seven days and keep the player. They gave Brown a qualifying offer of about $900,000 to retain that right to match. Brown earned $695,000 last season, and the newspaper quoted Powell as saying he will not play for $1 million now. "He's more than a $1 million player."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ets_with_jazz/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 09:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Devin finds a way to get a serious offer, I think the Spurs may let him walk.
Old 08-10-05, 10:01 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Rulez
If Devin finds a way to get a serious offer, I think the Spurs may let him walk.
You think?

It's a cinch they don't match a serious offer.
As I've been saying for some time now, they may not match any offer if it's more than the league minimum.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

So they wouldn't even keep him for 2 million a season or something around that?

Devin Brown is a huge insurance policy for Barry playing bad, like he did during the regular season last year, or an injury to Manu, Barry, or Bowen. With Brown we wouldn't lose as much as without him.

Keep the hometown kid POP!
Old 08-10-05, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
So they wouldn't even keep him for 2 million a season or something around that?
That will depend on who else they sign and for how much.
Old 08-10-05, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Jazz would seem like a good fit for devin....

I would like him to go to a team where he can get PT. I'm surprised Denver isn't making a run to him, he is a solid SG, good stroke, plays D, and just stepped off the World Championship Spurs roster....
Old 08-10-05, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Their will be quite a few teams that would like Devin but hesitant to extend an offer sheets due to his restricted status and the uncertainty of the Spurs FO position with Devin.
Old 08-10-05, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII
I'm surprised Denver isn't making a run to him, ....
They like so many other teams are awaiting August 15th.

Old 08-10-05, 10:24 AM
Abominable snowballer

ok, sign and trade.....sign and trade devin + rasho for ak 47 (sorry, i wanted to be the first)..

seriously: roumors said that jazz think of trading harpring. this would be a great addition for the spurs. jazz won't trade straight for devin, spurs would have to add traide baits (scola, picks, a 7 footer with an unknown name)
Old 08-10-05, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Maybe a sign and trade with Indiana would work Devin for J. Jones since Reggie is retiring they need another swingman and we need a backup SF in which Indiana is in excess of.
Old 08-10-05, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
That will depend on who else they sign and for how much.
Will the Spurs only have 7 days to match, then, due to the new CBA? I would assume so.
Old 08-10-05, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Will the Spurs only have 7 days to match, then, due to the new CBA? I would assume so.
Yes.
Old 08-10-05, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Nobody is going to trade anything valuable to us for Devin, get real, Devin probably can be obtained for small part of MLE.
Old 08-10-05, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Nobody is going to trade anything valuable to us for Devin, get real, Devin probably can be obtained for small part of MLE.
And how much do you think J. Jones will go for? This deal would work out.
Old 08-10-05, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
And how much do you think J. Jones will go for? This deal would work out.
Why would they trade away JJones when they can sign DBrown knowing Spurs won't match?
Old 08-10-05, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Why would they trade away JJones when they can sign DBrown knowing Spurs won't match?
They have luxury tax issues in which limits the amount of money they can or want to add to their team salary.
Old 08-10-05, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Well, first and foremost, Devin has to do what is best for him and his family, and I hope he gets some decent proposals, and if the Spurs don't match, I wish him the best of luck. The guy is a really talented player who has worked hard to get to this point, and realize a lifelong dream, I don't envy him that.
Old 08-10-05, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Maybe a sign and trade with Indiana would work Devin for J. Jones since Reggie is retiring they need another swingman and we need a backup SF in which Indiana is in excess of.
Can Devin play SG? I like Freddie Jones, but he is small, and looks to be on his way out.

That could be a decent trade, although I think both teams would just sign their player outright, instead of bothering with the trade.
Old 08-10-05, 12:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
They have luxury tax issues in which limits the amount of money they can or want to add to their team salary.
Then they can just let JJones go.
Old 08-10-05, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Can Devin play SG? I like Freddie Jones, but he is small, and looks to be on his way out.
I've always thought of Devin as a natural SG to begin with. He just gets the minutes at SF because the Spurs are deep at SG and not so much at SF.

Quote:
That could be a decent trade, although I think both teams would just sign their player outright, instead of bothering with the trade.
Agreed. I can't see the Spurs getting into an S&T with Devin.
Old 08-10-05, 01:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Then they can just let JJones go.
The Pacers gave him a qualifying offer same as the Spurs did with the Devin, they are both restricted free agents. The point being they will both cost about the same Jones plays the backup position we really need to fill and Devin play a position they need to fill.
Old 08-10-05, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would think with Devin Brown's injury that James Jones would make more money on the free agent market. On the otehr hand, you are right, neither team will match a crazy offer, so why not do a S & T.