News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-05, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Hawks Seek NBA's Help In Acquiring Johnson

Arizona Republic - After a familiar loss on a road court, Atlanta Hawks owners who want Joe Johnson are now looking to NBA Commissioner David Stern to help them accomplish what a Boston judge would not Tuesday.

NBA lawyers were exploring eight Atlanta owners' request to remove dissenting co-owner Steve Belkin as the team's NBA governor. If successful, they can proceed with a trade that would send Johnson from Phoenix to Atlanta with a five-year, $69.6 million deal.

"We're currently reviewing the judge's ruling," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

If Belkin's authority to have final rule on trades is upheld by league lawyers today, other possible resolutions include:

• An ownership buyout, whether it is Belkin leaving the group or gaining more than his 30 percent share.

• A renegotiation of the trade. The Suns have resisted the Hawks' attempts at this.

• A third team is involved to make the trade agreeable to all parties.

• The other owners file a motion to reconsider or take the case to an appellate court.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...iring_johnson/

and in a related article:

Arizona Republic
- Boris Diaw was on an African safari so remote, rustic and pristine last week that his cellphone could only muster a signal for about three hours of the five-day trip.

When a signal finally steadied, Diaw had a friend's text message waiting that read: "Congratulations on the trade."

The combination of surprise and not knowing which team acquired him was tough to handle. Now that he knows Atlanta agreed to send him in a package to Phoenix for Joe Johnson, Diaw has to wait to see whether the trade will materialize amid Atlanta's ownership squabble.

"At first, I was very surprised and then I thought about it and I was happy," Diaw said Tuesday from his native France. "The Suns are a really great team, of course. It'd be a big change from Atlanta, going East to West."

Diaw, 23, with a mix of starts and struggles in two Hawks seasons, said his confidence soared when he heard Phoenix had been chasing a deal to acquire him for at least a year. He considers himself a point forward and welcomes thoughts of the Suns using him as a 6-foot-8 backup point guard.

"What I try to do is make my teammates better by making passes and playing defense," Diaw said. "I think I could help make the team better. The first thing I'm going to do is play good defense. But I'll rebound, score and try to do a little bit of everything.

"The problem is, when you're versatile, you've got to work on all of your game."

Diaw said his unimpressive shooting (42 percent from the field and 18 percent on three-pointers last season) came in part because of shots taken with the shot clock winding down. He said questions about his desire and love of the game are unwarranted.

"It's really my passion," said Diaw, whose mother is considered the best center in French women's basketball history. "I can't think about living without basketball. I don't want to do anything else."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._is_finalized/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

WOW.......that's for JJ.....Geez imagine what would happen if they tried that with Tim...............

(note to self)
It will NEVER happen

FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-05, 09:05 AM
MomBear

Daymn That's just crazy.... Atlanta needs to give it up already, move on and find someone else...

Hey I hear Brian Grant's available..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I bet he still ends up with Atlanta when its said and done

It would be a mess for him to go back to the Suns ( A place he said he was ready to move on from) after all this crap
Old 08-10-05, 09:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
When a signal finally steadied, Diaw had a friend's text message waiting that read: "Congratulations on the trade."

The combination of surprise and not knowing which team acquired him was tough to handle.

C'mon, if you are leaving ATLANTA why would going anywhere be "tough to handle"?
Old 08-10-05, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Rookie

if there are any lawyers around here today...How does a court in Boston have jurisdiction over a transaction that took place in Atlanta or Pheonix? I am sure there is some way that the partner got his case in front of a Massachusettes judge, but I just dont see it .
Old 08-10-05, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
Daymn That's just crazy.... Atlanta needs to give it up already, move on and find someone else...

Hey I hear Brian Grant's available..
Can't say they aren't trying to improve their team though? They believe in Joe Johnson. They think this is monumental for their franchise like Bird was to Boston.
Old 08-10-05, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar76
if there are any lawyers around here today...How does a court in Boston have jurisdiction over a transaction that took place in Atlanta or Pheonix? I am sure there is some way that the partner got his case in front of a Massachusettes judge, but I just dont see it .
I believe that Belkin is trying to stop the other owners to vote him out, he obtained an injuction against such action and because he is the NBA governor of the team (the person in charge of signing all deals) the trade cannot pass. It does not matter where the transaction takes place, because it is a temporary order he can go the a judge located where he lives.

If the other owners file lawsuit against him, probably it will be in federal court considering this is a diversity case (meaning two parties who live in different states).
Old 08-10-05, 12:00 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Can Toronto ask for the NBA's help on getting rid of Richard Peddie?
Old 08-10-05, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar76
I wholeheartedly agree:

This issue is totally absurd---70% ownership of the business venture can not vote to make changes of the so called " governor"

Shaky ---very shaky --- this judge is a farce

and for a judicial appeal to settle the issue ---it will be to late to make a deal w/phnx.
Old 08-11-05, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Hawks owners waiting for Stern's ruling

August 10, 2005

AP - Aug 9, 4:15 pm EDT
More Photos

ATLANTA (AP) -- The owners of the Atlanta Hawks waited Wednesday for NBA commissioner David Stern to respond to their request to have co-owner Steve Belkin removed as the team's governor.

Boston judge Allan van Gestel granted Belkin's request for a temporary injunction on Tuesday, saying that a contract signed last year by all the owners prevents other members of the group from voting Belkin out.

The remaining owners in the nine-member Atlanta Spirit LLC group then turned to Stern for permission to remove Belkin, who owns 30 percent of the team.

Hawks CEO Bernie Mullin said the NBA ``indicated they will give us an expeditious response.''

It hadn't come by Wednesday afternoon.

The owners also have the option of appealing Tuesday's decision to a higher court. First, the owners want a ruling from Stern.

``There's nothing yet,'' team spokesman Tom Hughes.

An NBA spokesman did not immediately return a phone message.

The rift among the owners followed Belkin's refusal to approve the Hawks' trade for guard Joe Johnson.

Atlanta offered a five-year deal to Johnson worth about $70 million, but Belkin's objection was based on what the Hawks would give up in the trade: two first-round picks, second-year guard Boris Diaw and a $4.9 million trade exception.

``Steve Belkin simply thinks that's too much to pay for Joe Johnson,'' Belkin's lawyer, John Fabiano, told the judge.

The feud between the owners has overshadowed offseason attempts to improve the team with the fewest wins in the NBA last season.

Johnson, a five-year veteran who has played for Boston and Phoenix, averaged 17.1 points per game for the Suns last season.

Mullin says the trade for Johnson can't be finalized until the owners' dispute is settled.

Updated on Wednesday, Aug 10, 2005 5:56 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 08-11-05, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Stern supports Hawks' majority owners
Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

ATLANTA (AP) - NBA commissioner David Stern submitted an affidavit Thursday supporting the efforts by the majority of the Atlanta Hawks owners to remove Steve Belkin as the team's NBA governor.

The majority of the Atlanta Spirit LLC group has requested that Belkin be replaced with Michael Gearon Jr., as NBA governor, the member of the group who must sign off on all trades.

The effort to remove Belkin, who owns 30 percent of the team, followed his refusal to approve the team's attempted sign-and-trade for guard Joe Johnson of the Phoenix Suns.

The owners sought assistance from Stern after Boston judge Allan van Gestel granted Belkin's request for a temporary injunction Tuesday. The judge said a contract signed by all the owners last year prevents other members of the ownership group from voting Belkin out.

The judge instructed the majority of the owners to seek a ruling from Stern, saying that a precondition of any removal was the approval of the commissioner. If van Gestel moves quickly to issue a new ruling to lift the injunction, the NBA's board of governors could act as soon as Friday to approve Gearon as the team's new governor, according to Atlanta Spirit CEO Bernie Mullin. "Our ownership is very appreciative of the support from Commissioner David Stern," Mullin said Thursday.