Barry to agree to one-year deal
Rockets seeking to sign Mutombo for last two years
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
Describing signing with the Rockets as no more than a formality, guard Jon Barry returned to Houston on Tuesday and said he expected to this week sign a one-year deal that could complete his career.
"I'm just waiting to sign the contract," Barry said while indicating that the only remaining issue is setting up a time to sign the deal while moving to Houston this week.
The Rockets are close to completing a deal to bring back center Dikembe Mutombo, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said.
Mutombo, who had been vacationing in Europe and did not return to the United States until late Monday, said Tuesday that he had not yet spoken to his agent David Falk and did not know where contract talks stood.
But as he has said since last season, Mutombo reiterated that his desire is to return.
"I hope things work out to come back to Houston," Mutombo said. "My plan is to play two more years and then retire. I'm not asking too much. I'm hopeful it will work out with the Rockets. I think it will."
Falk was unavailable for comment on the details of Mutombo's contract talks.
Barry, meanwhile, left no doubt about where he stands.
"I want this to be the last stop of my career," Barry said. "I came in here and got a shot of adrenaline. It's a great team, the best staff I've ever had and one of the best groups of guys I've ever been around. I'm excited about doing it again.
"If we stay healthy, we have as good a team as anybody."
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|