News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-10-05, 12:53 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Who is Stephen A. Smith

Is Anyone else steaming about all the talk Stephen A. is Getting(He had his own article in SI mag, and now his own show on espn). The guy just sucks and there is no way around it. I wish Espn would come to their senses and get somebody else in there like Sean Elliot, Ok I may be a little biased there but honestly I dont think i can make it through another season with him on espn.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

everyone on this board hates him
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-05, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

And this is why he has his own show. People love or hate him. He creates a buzz and gets people talking. Disagree with him and his ways as I may, he does draw attention. He is a Howard Cosell-like persona for today.
Old 08-10-05, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Sean Elliott wasnt brought back because he was too "homerful" during his broadcasts... so he wont be back on espn im pretty sure
Old 08-10-05, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Stephen A. Smith <--- is all mouth and his full of it... as if he knows alotta things. All i know is... "DumbAss" comes from a root word that spells... S T E P H E N A. S M I T H
Old 08-10-05, 01:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Isn't Sean on like some regional station? I don't get to see him because I don't live in the SW.

I don't mind SAS that much. It's ironic how his initials spell San Antonio Spurs. He may be loud, but I don't have a problem with his views because everyone is entitled to their own. The thing that irks me is during a 4 way conversation, he will often cut people off.
Old 08-10-05, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I will be watching his show Thursday. I tried watching it the first night, but fell asleep.

I'll be deciding if I want to watch it much more after that.
Old 08-10-05, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I got a chance to watch Smith's show while getting my haircut at Sportsclips (they have the tv's on BSPN all the time, if it was up to me I would change the channel).

Overall I was pretty unimpressed. Smith seemed a bit less psycho than he does on the other shows he appears on, I guess he can't be crazy and angry for 30 mins.

The show was also pretty boring, Smith's monologue seemed very amateurish, the subject matter was played out (steriods and baseball, oh haven't heard that before!), and the guest commentators were pretty dull.

But the one thing that really bugged me was the whole live audience thing. Does Smith need validation of his thoughts and opinions so badly and immediately that he warrants a live audience on a sports talk show?
Old 08-10-05, 04:38 AM
SpursReport Rookie

shaqs girlfriend
Old 08-10-05, 09:04 AM
MomBear

Old 08-10-05, 09:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think Ron Artest is supposed to come on later this week....I don't think that will be boring by any means.
Old 08-10-05, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Are his ratings still lower than the freakin HOT DOG eating contest?
Old 08-10-05, 09:19 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7
I wish Espn would come to their senses and get somebody else in there like Sean Elliot, ...

Controversy and controversial people make for good ratings.

That why instead of televising the top politicians having a serious discussion about Health insurance the news will televise the interviews with the latest Michael Jackson jurist to write a book.

His ratings may end up sucking but as long as the executives believe that is what sells that is what we'll get. Same reason why they put on reality show after reality show even though some end up sucking eggs.
Old 08-10-05, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbarton
I got a chance to watch Smith's show while getting my haircut at Sportsclips (they have the tv's on BSPN all the time, if it was up to me I would change the channel).

Overall I was pretty unimpressed. Smith seemed a bit less psycho than he does on the other shows he appears on, I guess he can't be crazy and angry for 30 mins.

The show was also pretty boring, Smith's monologue seemed very amateurish, the subject matter was played out (steriods and baseball, oh haven't heard that before!), and the guest commentators were pretty dull.

But the one thing that really bugged me was the whole live audience thing. Does Smith need validation of his thoughts and opinions so badly and immediately that he warrants a live audience on a sports talk show?
I watched part of Mondays show and I have to honestly say it sucked. I dont dislike SAS or like him. I think he is silly but I think he plays it up because he feels that is what has made him who he is. You cant argue with success, the guy is everywhere right now.

The monolagues were horrible. They should hire someone with a smooth flowing voice to do them for the show. Ever watch Real Sports, those are well done monolagues. These were very amateur, surprised the producer of the show was happy with them.

His voice was lower than normal. But as pointed out we cant expect yelling for 30 straight minutes...can we? The guests were not very good either. They didnt work too well together and didnt seem ready for all the questions. Plus I noticed three times that SAS got cut off by the music or the produced commercial segments which just looks unprofessional.

Overall it was obvious that he wasnt used to running a show. He doesnt interview well. He actually forgot the peoples names several times and would get stuck trying to remember. Overall, bad show. My guess is if the producer is worth a dam, they make some changes by week #3 or else it wont last.
Old 08-10-05, 10:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Rulez
I think Ron Artest is supposed to come on later this week....I don't think that will be boring by any means.
Thursday

I'm looking forward to it, this is the first interview since the Jim Gray one where the guy isn't going to ask the whimpy, standard-issue questions. SAS will get somewhere.
Old 08-10-05, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

dont watch espn then. i have quit espn for a long time.
Old 08-10-05, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Controversy and controversial people make for good ratings.

That why instead of televising the top politicians having a serious discussion about Health insurance the news will televise the interviews with the latest Michael Jackson jurist to write a book.

His ratings may end up sucking but as long as the executives believe that is what sells that is what we'll get. Same reason why they put on reality show after reality show even though some end up sucking eggs.
I think we get reality shows because exec's and TV writers don't know what the next big thing is. That's why they're running/writing television programming, they lack imagination and scope. Since ESPN can't come up with any new annoying game shows, we get another obnoxious host a la Jim Rome, acquiring more air-time than he deserves. Even if it's old hat and doesn't deliver, they can't or won't work outside the bubble to get some innovative programming that differentiates yet another sports talk show.

But at least it's not Stuart Scott getting another game show.
Old 08-10-05, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Another Stephen A Smith thread...almost as common as the trade Rasho threads.
Old 08-10-05, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone
Another Stephen A Smith thread...almost as common as the trade Rasho threads.
Rasho for Smith?
I haven't heard that one.
Old 08-10-05, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Rasho for Smith?
I haven't heard that one.
exactly. if you dont like the guy, dont watch his damn show then. is that too hard to do?
Old 08-10-05, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauphan
exactly. if you dont like the guy, dont watch his damn show then. is that too hard to do?
Evidently it is.
Old 08-10-05, 01:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauphan
I dont
Old 08-10-05, 06:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Today is the first time to watch the guys show....is everybody in here actually watching it...it is pretty damn good....Todays show Super Agents and Lee Steinberg and Drew Rosenhaus going at it, sitting right next to each other......if he continues to get these type of candid interviews, this show is going to be great!...Don't let your dislike for SAS's opinions keep you from watching this show...it is very entertaining.
Old 08-10-05, 06:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Smith needs to have Rasho on the show as one of his guests. Seriously we can all agree that if Rasho was on the show that it would be comedy.
Old 08-11-05, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm watching Stephen, Ron, and Rick right now, and I've got to admit, SAS is good when it comes to interviews. He isn't so entertaining when it comes to his stand-up, talk about sports in general bit at the start, but he is excellent in interview. Not a bad show.
Old 08-11-05, 06:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Who?
Old 08-11-05, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd like to beat his a$$!!!