News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-05, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Hornets Player To Provide Local Students With Scholarships

New Orleans - Hornets guard J.R. Smith will begin awarding scholarships to students wishing to attend St. Augustine High School and Xavier Preparatory School this fall.

Smith will pay the tuitiion for two students to attend each school this year. Both St. Augustine and Xavier Prep have agreed to match the donation, creating a total of eight new scholarships.

"I received so much support from the community during my rookie season and I wanted to do this to show my appreciation, " said Smith. "I believe in this city and its future begins with our children. This is just the beginning of my commitment to do everything I can over the course of my career to make New Orleans a better place."

Smith, a three-time Western Conference got milk? Rookie of the Month award winner last season, will work with administrators at both schools to determine the selection criteria for scholarship applicants and has already identified financial need and academic potential as two requirements. The scholarships will be earmarked for transfer students who would not otherwise be able to afford tuition at private school.

Last season, Smith partnered with the Hornets Read To Achieve initiative, the Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO) and Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana to provide $5,000 to start a Second Harvest Kids Cafe program and $5,000 to sponsor two scholarships for adults who complete their GED classes and want to continue their educations at a local community college or trade school. Smith used the money he earned from his participation in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk contest at All-Star Weekend to start the Kids Cafe program and the money he received from his Rookie of the Moth recognition to fund the program and scholarships.

Both the Kids Cafe and GED programs operate out of HANO's newley remodeled Pecan Grove Center in New Orleans East. The Center was renovated by the Hornets through the team's Read to Achieve commitments to the New Orleans community and is the tenth reading and learning center that the Hornets have established over the past three seasons.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/community...ips050808.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-05, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Good stuff. Glad to hear it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-05, 11:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

yeah, good stuff.
Old 08-09-05, 01:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

too bad this type of stuff never makes sportscenter.
Old 08-09-05, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good for J.R.! I wonder how much high school tuition is down there? I just paid a little over $8000 for my two teenagers' Catholic HS tuition here, and I've been told that's on the low side.