SpursReport Team Veteran

Heat get another great schedule.

Just how much does Stern love Shaq?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

NBA's schedule-makers are neat to Heat

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted August 8 2005

For the second year in a row, the Heat has received a schedule from the NBA that provides maximum exposure and maximum rest.

Although the complete schedule will not be released by the league until noon today, several aspects already have come to light:

Nearly a third of the Heat's schedule will be nationally broadcast, with five games on ABC, 10 on ESPN and nine on TNT.

The Heat is scheduled for games on consecutive nights only 16 times, its same total of back-to-back sets as last season, which ties for the second fewest in the franchise's 18 seasons.

The Heat will be featured on three holidays: Christmas at home against the Lakers, New Year's night at home against the Timberwolves and Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 16) in Los Angeles against the Lakers.

The Heat's 82-game schedule tips off Nov. 2 in Memphis against Eddie Jones and the Grizzlies and continues the next night with a home opener against the Indiana Pacers, arguably the Heat's toughest competition in the Eastern Conference.

As has been the case in recent seasons, the bulk of the Heat's long-distance traveling will be completed during the first half of the schedule, with its only Western Conference road games in the second half of the season at Houston (Jan. 29), Dallas (Feb. 9) and Minnesota (March 21).

Every Eastern Conference team will make two South Florida appearances except the Knicks and Bulls, who visit only once (New York on Nov. 28, Chicago not until April 16).

The Heat will play at every Eastern Conference venue twice, with the exception of single visits to Indiana and Philadelphia.

It plays each of the 15 Western Conference teams once apiece home and away.
Old 08-08-05, 11:12 AM
MomBear

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-05, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Who cares?

They got a favorable schedule last year and it didn't win them anything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-05, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Shaq is the most known commodity of all the players so of course Miami will be on tv a lot ... it's called marketing
Old 08-08-05, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cushy schedules don't make for a good team, besides when Shaq has his annual injuries they will have som ehigh profile losses to showcase

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Old 08-08-05, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Shaq is the most known commodity of all the players so of course Miami will be on tv a lot ... it's called marketing
Thats understandable, but what about making the schedule easier in the second half when the tub of lard starts slowing down that sucks.
Old 08-08-05, 11:21 AM
Now With More Eye of Newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by losman
Cushy schedules don't make for a good team, besides when Shaq has his annual injuries they will have som ehigh profile losses to showcase
Old 08-08-05, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562bulldog
Thank you.

Why we should be surprised by this or why this should still bother us is beyond me.
Old 08-08-05, 11:47 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
I agree with you, but no one in this thread posted ANYTHING about this bothering them. It IS NBA news and I'm glad Bo posted it.
ZING!

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 08-08-05, 11:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

More rest for Shaq and Wade: Better stats and more superstar media attention.
Old 08-08-05, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I hope these guys take awhile to gel, Pacers play them twice in the first week.
Old 08-08-05, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Just how much does Stern love Shaq?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

NBA's schedule-makers are neat to Heat

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted August 8 2005

For the second year in a row, the Heat has received a schedule from the NBA that provides maximum exposure and maximum rest.

Although the complete schedule will not be released by the league until noon today, several aspects already have come to light:

Nearly a third of the Heat's schedule will be nationally broadcast, with five games on ABC, 10 on ESPN and nine on TNT.

The Heat is scheduled for games on consecutive nights only 16 times, its same total of back-to-back sets as last season, which ties for the second fewest in the franchise's 18 seasons.

The Heat will be featured on three holidays: Christmas at home against the Lakers, New Year's night at home against the Timberwolves and Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 16) in Los Angeles against the Lakers.

The Heat's 82-game schedule tips off Nov. 2 in Memphis against Eddie Jones and the Grizzlies and continues the next night with a home opener against the Indiana Pacers, arguably the Heat's toughest competition in the Eastern Conference.

As has been the case in recent seasons, the bulk of the Heat's long-distance traveling will be completed during the first half of the schedule, with its only Western Conference road games in the second half of the season at Houston (Jan. 29), Dallas (Feb. 9) and Minnesota (March 21).

Every Eastern Conference team will make two South Florida appearances except the Knicks and Bulls, who visit only once (New York on Nov. 28, Chicago not until April 16).

The Heat will play at every Eastern Conference venue twice, with the exception of single visits to Indiana and Philadelphia.

It plays each of the 15 Western Conference teams once apiece home and away.
The spurs also have only 16 back-to-backs, if you look at the schedule
Old 08-08-05, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Whether it's ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, ABC or NBATV
the Spurs have 30 games televised nationally this coming season.
Old 08-08-05, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Whether it's ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, ABC or NBATV
the Spurs have 30 games televised nationally this coming season.
Being that NBA TV blacks out Spurs games, can you count them? That would bring them down to 21.
Old 08-08-05, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

In contrast, the Heat have 33 regular season games nationally televised, 24 if you exclude NBATV.

Old 08-08-05, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Being that NBA TV blacks out Spurs games, can you count them? That would bring them down to 21.
I think his point is that nationally - NBA fans will get to see the Spurs 30 times on national television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
In contrast, the Heat have 33 regular season games nationally televised, 24 if you exclude NBATV.

You mean Stern actually gave Miami 3 more national games than he did the Spurs????

Call Oliver Stone, I smell a conspiracy.
Old 08-08-05, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente

It's the same for the Lakers.

Quote:
People in the Austin area get screwed though because they can't pick up SA TV stations, but can't get games on NBATV either.
There are worse things in life.
SpursReport Team Bench

Give Shaq some rest. He needs it.
Old 08-08-05, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
People in the Austin area get screwed though because they can't pick up SA TV stations, but can't get games on NBATV either.
Exactly. Not even paying for league pass works, because they say we are close enough to go to the games, meanwhile the games they black out are ROAD GAMES. Idiots!
Old 08-08-05, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
There are worse things in life.
Oh STFU already!
Old 08-08-05, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Oh STFU already!
SpursReport Rookie

I thought La had 25 National TV games

Quote:
Sorry SuperFan
Apology accepted. Proceed.
Old 08-08-05, 12:22 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2k
I thought La had 25 National TV games
I am not counting pre-season games.
Old 08-08-05, 12:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

people tend to make way too much out of the REGULAR SEASON Schedules every year. As long as teams are not getting special treatment during the playoffs over other teams I could really care less,,,
Old 08-08-05, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
You can if you have DirecTV. Speaking from personal experience.

And besides, most of the NBATV games are them picking up the FSN-SW feed.
Old 08-08-05, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I can't believe how calm some of you can be about this. I'm not saying I'm angry or crying conspiracy; I think we all know the reason their schedule is this way.....BUT, you know what does mean a hell of a lot? Homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs. Some could argue that had the Spurs not had homecourt in the finals, they wouldn't be champions.
Old 08-08-05, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear.

GFY SuperFan

(use your imagination on the GFY part).
I know exactly what you meant. You made a joke. I made a joke.

No reason to tell anyone to Go [email protected]#K Yourself.

It's funny how the double standards work around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
people tend to make way too much out of the REGULAR SEASON Schedules every year. As long as teams are not getting special treatment during the playoffs over other teams I could really care less,,,
We don't agree on much these days - but we do here.
Old 08-08-05, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can you Austinites still at least get WOAI? Better than nothing I suppose
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 08-08-05, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think there should be a scheduling rule that the first nationally televised game of the season has to be between the two finalists from last year. Wouldn't that be compelling?
Old 08-08-05, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Its just that I tire of the elitist bull that you spout around here--proclaiming yourself a better fan that me and a few others (sorry, i don't feel like hunting down the thread) because you konw Spur history better than we do (mainly because you were actually alive then). People dissapointed becuase NBATV blacks out Spur games in Austin, too bad, worry about other things. If you were joking, no one on this board has ever been able to tell it.
I don't think disagreeing with me is any reason to say GFY.

I get criticized ad nauseum for voicing my opinions on these various topics and the manner in which I do so.

I can get threatned with banishment for simply giving my apparantly unpopular opinions and I don't say anything even remotely close to GFY to anyone. Although I have been tempted to do so - and maybe even should have to more than one of the posters on this board.

If it had been RichB that said GFY to a fellow poster, believe me - it would have probably led to some sort of punishment or even banishment. That is a disapointing double standard to me.

If I say that I consider myself a more knowledgable fan than others - that is strictly my opinion.You don't have to agree with it.

If I say that there are worse things in life than not watching an extra few Spurs games in Austin - that is strictly my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

When I don't agree with someone - I give my reasons why and I try to validate my reasons with examples and sources. I don't just tell someone - GFY.

I consider myself more intelligent than that.
Old 08-08-05, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
THink of the people in SA that can't afford even regular cable and are regulated to just being able to watch ABC or KENS TV games.

End of thread discussion.
Closed Thread