News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-05, 10:06 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Manu Ginobili is the league's most excting player.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...l=7&thispage=5

Quote:
"It is hard for me," he said. "I was a head coach so long and it is hard for me to sit back and let a lot of things happen. Not many head couches could tolerate me. I think the game should be played a certain way and I don't hold back from expressing myself."

He said Jordan welcomed coaching, but other superstars turn a deaf ear. Of all the stars, Winter said O'Neal was the least receptive.

"He doesn't want to hear it," Winter said of O'Neal. "He is not the least bit interested but he could be so much better."

Winter said Pippen was the fastest learner he ever coac

"He just has a natural grasp of the game."

And if he were to list his favorite players, Steve Kerr would top a list that includes Craig Hodges and John Paxson.

Winter spent last season watching three NBA games a night at his home in West Salem. He loved watching the Suns run the break. He said Manu Ginobili is the league's most exciting player and that Dwyane Wade is the best all-around guard.

"He reminds me a lot of Jordan," he said.

Winter's frame of reference is shaped by decades and decades in the game. With 59 years in the business, Winter has coached 10 years longer than even the legendary Allen. He has played for and coached Hall of Famers and will again next season.

And if Tex Winter isn't installed with them in the Hall of Fame one day soon, they should pack up the peach baskets in Springfield.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-05, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

That's amazing. I'm not quite sure how many would agree that he's the absolute MOST exciting player in the entire league, but he certainly tops my list. I really never thought a Spur would ever be in the running for that title, but it certainly is well deserved and VERY appropriate. I never thought anyone would top Vince, but when players like Manu and Lebron and Amare exploded onto the scene, I opened my eyes and started to see the posibilities. Dwyane Wade makes my head spin too. Remember the days where Jason Williams (yes "White Chocolate") held the title of the league's most electrifying player in his first years with Sacramento??

Last edited by JimmyFatSak17; 08-08-05 at 10:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-05, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

For Tex Winter to say Manu is the most exciting player in the NBA, that says it all. Tex Winter is a basketball genius and has a good, great eye for the game. About the Jordan comment, I think he says Wade reminds him alot of Jordan, but to me, Manu reminds me more of Michael Jordan than Dwayne Wade. Manu needs to go bald now.
Old 08-08-05, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Kobe's coach saying that Manu is the most exciting player in the league. CLASSIC!
Old 08-08-05, 11:40 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Kobe's coach saying that Manu is the most exciting player in the league. CLASSIC!
didn't kobe himself call manu the most exciting player last season? (i think i remember that kabe said something like manu is the player he loves to watch most, or so..)
usually people round kobe share his oppinion (sometimes even kobe tells the right things)
Old 08-08-05, 11:42 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl11oc
Manu needs to go bald now.
He is on his way
[email protected]
Old 08-08-05, 01:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd go with A.I.
Old 08-08-05, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tex Winter = Substance behind Phil Jackson's Style
Old 08-08-05, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeh nice to hear someone who knows basketball think Manu is the most exciting to watch....not new to Spurs fans since we love to see Manu get the ball, because we're almost always guaranteed something exciting when he touches the ball.

btw, I do believe he was speaking of Dwayne Wade when saying he reminds him of Jordan.
Old 08-08-05, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I'd go with A.I.
A.I. is a great competitor, and he attacks the rim constantly. But when's the last time he switched the ball from one hand to the other, while in the air, and then dunked on Ben Wallace?
Old 08-08-05, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Manu or Dwane reminds him of JORDAN????
Old 08-08-05, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAfan019
Manu or Dwane reminds him of JORDAN????
It says Wade reminds him of Jordan.
Old 08-08-05, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Manu and Wade top my list. I honestly can't decide who is more fun to watch, when it comes to those two.
Old 08-08-05, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Nice to see my 2 favorite players (Ginobili & Pip) getting props from a teacher of the game.
Old 08-08-05, 03:52 PM

Wade does remind me of Jordan, his upper body strength, and his drives to the basket, plus the guy for being his second year was clutch in 05.

But Manu is my boy, I've been watching pro ball since 66 and seldom has a guy come along with the game Manu has. Passing, shooting, driving, defensively, he makes plays everywhere, and the creativity that comes out of his game just can't come from a foreign ball player, but there he is. I kept telling everyone this kid was an allstar from day 1, it took awhile for the rest of the league and the public to see it, but it is impossible to hide it. How long he can keep it up, is a question mark, but I hope it's for a good long while and that it's all with the Spurs.
Old 08-08-05, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
A.I. is a great competitor, and he attacks the rim constantly. But when's the last time he switched the ball from one hand to the other, while in the air, and then dunked on Ben Wallace?

B]he attacks the rim constantly[/b]. That makes him most exciting. He is only 6'0'' and rarely dunks, but he still dunks sometimes. not sure if he has ever dunked on the big Ben, but he did dunk on Marcus Camby once in 1998.
Old 08-08-05, 11:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
Nice to see my 2 favorite players (Ginobili & Pip) getting props from a teacher of the game.
Yeah ditto Pip and Manu are among my favourite players list
Old 08-09-05, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
B]he attacks the rim constantly[/b]. That makes him most exciting. He is only 6'0'' and rarely dunks, but he still dunks sometimes. not sure if he has ever dunked on the big Ben, but he did dunk on Marcus Camby once in 1998.
I think that was in 1997. Anyway, it was a Tip Dunk over Marcus Camby. One of the very best plays I've ever seen.
Old 08-09-05, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wade is not nearly as explosive to the rim as a young Jordan was. He's also smaller, is not near the defender Jordan was, and can't palm the ball the way Jordan could. I guess they have some other similar characteristics though.
Old 08-09-05, 03:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's more about playing style, both attack the rack.
Old 08-09-05, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tex finds exciting where George Karl finds ugly. Who would you rather have on your side?
Old 08-09-05, 10:03 AM

Karl already admitted he was just trying to mess with Manu's head. I doubt there is a coach anywhere who wouldn't want Manu on their roster.
Old 08-09-05, 11:08 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl11oc
For Tex Winter to say Manu is the most exciting player in the NBA, that says it all. Tex Winter is a basketball genius and has a good, great eye for the game. About the Jordan comment, I think he says Wade reminds him alot of Jordan, but to me, Manu reminds me more of Michael Jordan than Dwayne Wade. Manu needs to go bald now.
NO PLEASE NO..... Manu bald would not be nearly as natural as Jordan bald, he just looked right bald and Manu would just look utterly scary fully bald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
Karl already admitted he was just trying to mess with Manu's head. I doubt there is a coach anywhere who wouldn't want Manu on their roster.
And as Karl found out nothing he said swayed manus game at all nor did he care one bit
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.