SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Everything there is to know about Tim Duncan (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/40111-everything-there-know-about-tim-duncan.html)

Eddy from Austin 08-08-05 09:29 AM

Everything there is to know about Tim Duncan

http://u.univision.com/contentroot/u...uncan_3_ap.jpg

I thoght I would start a thread about Timmy. This thread is suppose to be made of biographical information, Carrer stats - acomplishments and personal information.
We can all learn more facts about our Superstar. I'll start.

-Tim Duncan was born in St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands
-Timmy didn't start playing organized basketball until he was in ninth grade
- 2004-05 Stats PPG 20.3 RPG 11.10 APG 2.7
- Won the 1998 Rookie of the Year

your turn ...

Gene Hackman 08-08-05 09:42 AM

Tim liked playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.

He loves to swim.

He has a degree in Psychology.

ennui30 08-08-05 09:44 AM

In the 2004-2005 regular season, he was listed as 6'11" for the first time in his career

His favorite actor is Chris Tucker

LauraBC 08-08-05 10:08 AM

Off the top of my head...

Fave TV Shows: Alias, Martin, Seinfeld

Fave superhero: Wolverine from X-Men

Fave movie: The Crow

Fave color: black

Hobbies: collects swords, plays video games

Some misc information...

Played soccer in college
Joked about having his own line of clothes called "Ultimate Reject"
Used to have a pierced tongue
Has 3 tattoos

I'm going to like this thread :p

tmtcsc 08-08-05 10:17 AM

His wife is his college sweetheart Amy and together they have a newborn daughter.

One of his vehicles is a slicked-out H2.

Likes to play paintball in his spare time.

Enjoys winning Championships and earning MVP's. :D

LauraBC 08-08-05 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmtcsc
Enjoys winning Championships and earning MVP's. :D

:rockon

Oh yeah about paintball... doesn't he have his own like paintball course in his house or something like that?

Also... he has a weird purpleish tint on his right index finger that's been discussed on this board before :lol

Zodiac sign is the Taurus

Is really close friends with Malik Rose, Antonio Daniels, Tony Parker.

Fave NFL team is the Chicago Bears :lol

tigerdan 08-08-05 10:28 AM

Copy/paste from his site ( www.slamduncan.com ) . Sorry if some of these repeat what's already been said.
__________________________________________________ ___

Tim Duncan Q&A

1. Where are you from?
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands.

2.What sport did you participate
in before basketball?
Swimming. I was actually a competitive swimmer.

3. When is your birthday?
April 25.

4. How old will you be this year?
I will be 28.

5. What is your middle name?
Theodore.

6. Do you have a favorite book?
Yes. I really enjoyed Jurassic Park.

7. What is your favorite food?
I like Steak & Shrimp.

8. What are your biggest fears?
Growing up in St. Croix, you certainly learn to fear sharks. Other than that, great heights can be pretty intimidating.

9. What is your favorite professional football team?
The Chicago Bears.

10. Where did you go to college?
Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

11. What did you receive your degree in?
Psychology.

12. What is your favorite Ice cream?
Gold medal ribbon flavor.

13. Do you have any pets?
I have three dogs. Nicole, Shadoe, Zen

14. What kind of dogs are they?
One is a Cockapoo, and the other two are Labs.

15. Are any of the dogs related?
Yes, actually, Zen is Shadoe's son.

16. What is the highest number of points you've scored in a single game?
I once scored 53 points.

17. What is the highest number of rebounds you've gotten during a game?

18. Where did you attend High School?
St. Dustan's High School.

19. What is your favorite color?
Black.

20. What is your favorite type of music?
I like Rap & Reggae.

21. What is your favorite all-time Movie?
The Crow.

22. What is your favorite all-time TV Show?
I liked Martin & Seinfeld.

23. Who is your favorite actor?
I like watching Kevin Spacey.

24. If you could have any pet what would it be?
Dog.

25. What is your favorite Board Game?
I like playing Monopoly.

26. What do you like to do on your days off?
I like to relax and play video games.

27. What is your favorite Holiday?
Thanksgiving.

28. Which person knows the most about you?
My wife Amy.

29. Who is the Craziest/Silliest person you know?
Malik Rose.

30. What is the thing you like most about the NBA?
The Competition.

31. What is the thing you like the least about the NBA?
The Travel.

32. What is your favorite NBA arena outside San Antonio?
I like America West Arena in Phoenix.

33. If you could have one wish granted what would it be?
Good health.

34. Do you like to surf the net?
Yes -- I spend lots of time online.

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-08-05 10:29 AM

Quote:

Tim liked playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid
As a kid?!? I wouldn't call a 29 year old, 7 foot man a "kid".

Prefers that people call him, "Merlin" (after the Arthurian wizard)

He collects knives/swords.

He dresses up for Renaissance Fairs.

LauraBC 08-08-05 10:49 AM

The 21 Questions part of his site is worth looking at too :thumb

duncan fan 08-08-05 10:49 AM

Lived with David Robinson at his ranch the summer before his rookie year so that they can get to know each other and work out.

LauraBC 08-08-05 11:04 AM

I had no idea about that, duncan fan. Fellow RGVer :)

About his family.......

Father's name was William Duncan, died of prostate cancer - mother, Ione Duncan, died of breast cancer

Has two older sisters named Cheryl and Tricia

losman 08-08-05 11:09 AM

Tim loves collecting and asking NBA trivia

George 08-08-05 11:15 AM

wears his shorts backwards in practice....

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-08-05 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraBC
I had no idea about that, duncan fan. Fellow RGVer :)

About his family.......

Father's name was William Duncan, died of prostate cancer - mother, Ione Duncan, died of breast cancer

Has two older sisters named Cheryl and Tricia

His mom's name was Delysia not Ione. Delysia Bryan Duncan to be exact.

He has three older half-brothers William Duncan, John Duncan, and Scott Duncan.

LauraBC 08-08-05 11:18 AM

I read in a book her name was Ione?

rayslife 08-08-05 11:23 AM

he has alot of money

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-08-05 11:24 AM

Quote:

I read in a book her name was Ione?

Ione must've been her nickname....

JahDef 08-08-05 11:42 AM

Question: Why doesn't Tim have an accent like most people from the Virgin Islands?

PAJOE 08-08-05 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
http://u.univision.com/contentroot/u...uncan_3_ap.jpg

I thoght I would start a thread about Timmy. This thread is suppose to be made of biographical information, Carrer stats - acomplishments and personal information.
We can all learn more facts about our Superstar. I'll start.

-Tim Duncan was born in St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands
-Timmy didn't start playing organized basketball until he was in ninth grade
- 2004-05 Stats PPG 20.3 RPG 11.10 APG 2.7
- Won the 1998 Rookie of the Year

your turn ...

I was in the Yamaha shop last weekend and they said that Tony, Tim, Antonio, Eva and Amy have all been in there and they are ride four wheelers. They said that Tony is building on twenty acres and has an area devoted to the group riding. They best story they had was the relationship between Tim and Antonio. They said they were like two teen aged brothers, at each other constantly and nothing serious the entire time the were in the store. They said they all get along really well and are like a big family.

Eddy from Austin 08-08-05 12:34 PM

NBA All-Star Game Co-MVP 2000

chauphan 08-08-05 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JahDef
Question: Why doesn't Tim have an accent like most people from the Virgin Islands?

I want to know too.

Spurs Brazil 08-08-05 02:45 PM

The best PF all-time

LauraBC 08-08-05 03:12 PM

Menudo, where did you get that info about his mom? I even googled it and came up with nothing. But when I google 'Tim Duncan's mother Ione' I get some results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAJOE
I was in the Yamaha shop last weekend and they said that Tony, Tim, Antonio, Eva and Amy have all been in there and they are ride four wheelers. They said that Tony is building on twenty acres and has an area devoted to the group riding. They best story they had was the relationship between Tim and Antonio. They said they were like two teen aged brothers, at each other constantly and nothing serious the entire time the were in the store. They said they all get along really well and are like a big family.

That's interesting... but I wouldn't take Eva to be a four wheeler kind of girl :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
The best PF all-time

:thumb

Fave music is rap, reggae - used an iPod this past season while warming up on the court but after Vince Carter reported it to NBA officials he can no longer use it while practicing.

JSummers 08-08-05 03:40 PM

Quote:

Played soccer in college
One of his sisters won Gold in swimming at the Seoul Olympics

I hate to correct people, and it's a very minor thing, but Tricia didn't make it to the final round of the Olympics... definitely didn't win a gold. But, obviously, she was still a very good swimmer. She swam on her college team at Swarthmore.

I didn't know he was on the soccer team! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams
His mom's name was Delysia not Ione. Delysia Bryan Duncan to be exact.

He has three older half-brothers William Duncan, John Duncan, and Scott Duncan.

I think Delysia is one of his neices. Everything I've ever read says his mom's name was Ione.

FamousJames 08-08-05 05:23 PM

My childhood friend went to Wake Forest and his ex wife was a trainer for Tim and the team....she said he is extremly close to family and prefered to spend time with his family over most.

Godkid1 08-08-05 06:10 PM

i have two books about timmy, tim duncan -tower of power and slam duncan. each book has one or the other name for his mom. book 1 has ione, book 2 has delysia. i never could find out why

LauraBC 08-08-05 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSummers
I hate to correct people, and it's a very minor thing, but Tricia didn't make it to the final round of the Olympics... definitely didn't win a gold. But, obviously, she was still a very good swimmer. She swam on her college team at Swarthmore.

I didn't know he was on the soccer team! :)

Yeah, I was kind of sketchy on that whole Gold Medal thing, but I thought that's how I read it. I officially retratct that now :) Yes AlamoGirl (big fan of Tim's) and I found out that he took a soccer course in college.

And Godkid1, that's where I read about his mom's name being Ione... from Tower of Power.

Silver Samurai 08-08-05 10:21 PM

He is afraid of sharks and wouldn't continue his swimming training in the ocean because of the sharks and thus began his rise to Basketball stardom! :)

LauraBC 08-08-05 10:34 PM

He's also afraid of heights :p

canyoufeelit 08-08-05 10:46 PM

Tim Duncan is the best player in the league and that's everything you need to know.

Alamo Girl 08-08-05 10:52 PM

Some of the less known facts:

He taken a couse in Chinese literature at WFU for this girl he was seeing back then.

He received a pair of sleeves, a fake ID, a tongue ring, and pompoms from Dave Odom and the coaching staff for Christmas.

Teammates with Marc Blucas (Riley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) at WFU.

What else Laura?

His starting PG in college was also named Tony...

And supposedly TD openly weeped after WFU got eliminated in his senior year.

Oh yeah, once filmed a boating show with Fox Sports that had to be cut short because Amy got boat sick and puked. :lol

LauraBC 08-08-05 10:56 PM

LOL Awesome post AG :thumb Full of enlightening moments :D

vicky 08-09-05 12:52 AM

I remember reading htat a childhood friend of his said that he wasn't popular at school and that kids made fun of him ):

He has several step sibilings.

The Notorious MI21 08-09-05 01:10 AM

Quote:

His starting PG in college was also named Tony...
Don't quote me because I wouldn't dare doubt your Tim Duncan knowledge, but wasn't the starting PG next to Timmy at WFU named Randolph Childress?

I might even research that and see if I'm right. expect an edit to this post shortly :lol

Eddy from Austin 08-09-05 01:24 AM

Tim Duncan is the last player to be named regular season and NBA Finals MVP in the same season. (2003)

jasonmolina 08-09-05 01:32 AM

i heard from a friend of a friend at Wake that Duncan smoked TONS of weed in his room alone. admittedly this is far from a fact, but it makes sense with all his gaming. and if you've ever been to the VI you know that green is prevalent.

Eddy from Austin 08-09-05 01:33 AM

Received his picture on Wheaties box on Jan. 27, 2005

ennui30 08-09-05 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonmolina
i heard from a friend of a friend at Wake that Duncan smoked TONS of weed in his room alone. admittedly this is far from a fact, but it makes sense with all his gaming. and if you've ever been to the VI you know that green is prevalent.

Tim with herb? If ever there was a reason to doubt! An interesting speculation, albeit

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
Tim Duncan is the best player in the league and that's everything you need to know.

:rockon

He is right-handed :D

vicky 08-09-05 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonmolina

When the Spurs are playing Boston, he should come hang out with me and my friends. It'd be a good time. :hat

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-09-05 07:23 AM

Quote:

Menudo, where did you get that info about his mom? I even googled it and came up with nothing. But when I google 'Tim Duncan's mother Ione' I get some results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan
Google is a chimera. It retrieves crappy and great results equally based on its web crawling algorithm. It's a hammer in your information toolbox. It has a use, but you wouldn't use it to unclog your drain or saw a 2x4. There are other information sources that find reliable information everytime.

From Lexis-Nexis:
Copyright 1997 San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express-News (Texas)

May 21, 1997, Wednesday , ALAMO

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 1, Part D

LENGTH: 490 words

HEADLINE: Mom's passing the source of Duncan's drive

BYLINE: Kevin O'Keeffe

BODY: "Good, better, best, never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best." - the late Delysia Duncan, to her children, Cheryl, Tricia and Tim, on more than one occasion Those words from Delysia Duncan were a driving force for her youngest child with regard to his competitive swimming, as well as his education.

Tim Duncan, the former Wake Forest star who will be the top pick in the NBA draft by the Spurs next month, got his drive and competitive fire from his mother.

But she never saw her son play basketball.

Swimming was Duncan's athletic pursuit as a youth. Ditto for his sister, Tricia, who did the backstroke for the U.S. Virgin Islands in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

Duncan, who was an age-group champion in the 400-meter freestyle, planned to compete in the '92 Summer Games in Barcelona, Spain, for the Virgin Islands.

But Hurricane Hugo intervened, destroying the pool where he worked out in St. Croix.

Duncan enjoyed the solitude of that pool. He liked competing against the stopwatch.

It was swimming, he said, that bolstered his confidence.

"That (swimming) is an individual sport has to build your confidence," Duncan said. "You don't have anyone else to rely on. You have to do it yourself, so you have to believe in yourself."

After Hugo blew through in '89, Duncan was forced to work out in the ocean.

That didn't have the same appeal, even with mom's push. Duncan never again swam competitively that year.

As it turns out, that decision was due only in part to Hugo.

The following spring, the day before his 14th birthday in April 1990, came the real reason Duncan stopped swimming.

He lost his push.

Delysia Duncan died after a bout with breast cancer.

Understandably, her death had an incredible impact on him. He watched her suffer through the disease.

Delysia Duncan's passing expedited his growing up.

Cooperative, although hardly chatty and desiring media attention, Duncan made the subject of his mother's death off- limits through his first three years at Wake Forest.

Duncan likes to erect little walls to guard his privacy.

This season, though, Duncan opened up on that subject, talking about what she meant to him.

"His mom's death left a scar," said Deborah Best, chairman of the Wake Forest psychology department and Duncan's academic adviser.

"He talked to me about watching her die," Best told USA Today. "I think a lot of his independence today came out of losing his mom at such an early age."

Duncan said his mom gave him direction and was his biggest fan. He said he tuned out most people after his mom's death.

"No one replaces your mom," Duncan said.

Not even your dad.

William Duncan's easy-going nature seems to have rubbed off on his son, whose demeanor is one of his best traits.

Still, Delysia was Tim's motivation.

And continues to be.

LOAD-DATE: September 1, 1998

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Copyright 1999 Daily News, L.P.
Daily News (New York)

June 17, 1999, Thursday

SECTION: Sports; Pg. 94

LENGTH: 600 words

HEADLINE: STAY-AT-HOME DAD DIDN'T THINK TIM WOULD BE IN FINALS

BYLINE: By WAYNE COFFEY

BODY:
CHRISTIANSTED, St. Croix It is four hours before tipoff of the NBA Finals, and William Duncan is nowhere to be found in the Alamodome. He is, instead, right here, a three-point shot from the Caribbean Sea, pouring sugar into an iced tea, watching a catamaran float by, secretly admitting that he did not think his son would still be in season now.

William Duncan smiles beneath a black San Antonio Spurs hat. A soft wind blows off the turquoise water. Duncan was in San Antonio for the Western Conference finals, but had long since booked his trip home.

"Between (Shaquille) O'Neal and (Karl) Malone, I thought Tim wouldn't stand a chance," William Duncan said before his son would score 33 points in the Spurs' 89-77 victory in Game 1. "I'm surprised my little boy is up there making the big-time plays."

The youngest of William Duncan's six children, the little boy has grown into a 7-0, 248-pound package of low-post polish not only the single most dangerous force the Knicks have to contend with in the series, but the premier player in the game. William Duncan, 68, is as proud as he can be about that, but is not inclined to get carried away with it publicly, emotional restraint running in the family.

"Tim doesn't have any kind of attitude, and isn't the type to get overjoyed with himself," his father says. "He just tries to relax and take the next step."

About 175 of Tim Duncan's closest friends and fans chartered a flight to San Antonio to be at Game 1 last night, departing in the wee hours yesterday morning. At 4 a.m., in a misty rain, 400 more people showed up to send them off. Stanley and the 10 Sleepless Knights, perhaps the most popular band on St. Croix, filled the terminal with calypso music before getting on board. People waved flags, sang songs, an impromptu West Indian fiesta.

"It was all because Tim Duncan is the person he is, not because of the player he is," says Pamela Richards, a local tourism executive and founding member of the Tim Duncan Virgin Islands Fan Club. "He's so humble about everything, it makes it seem as if it's happening to one of us." She talked about how reluctantly Duncan accepted the news that a school gymnasium was being named in his honor.

"We had to really convince him to go along with it," Richards says.

Humility, respect, the importance of doing your best all were lessons Duncan learned growing up. William Duncan says he and Tim would talk often about such things all the time, especially when they were in the car together.

Another major family theme was the importance of keeping your word. Duncan has been widely hailed for being among the few to resist the call of the NBA millions and finish his schooling. Tim was doing nothing more than living up to a promise he had made to his mother.

Delysia Duncan died nine years ago, on Tim's 14th birthday, April 25, 1990. She had been extraordinarily close to her youngest son, and the No. 1 supporter of his then-sport of choice, swimming. He seemingly was headed for world-class status before Hurricane Hugo destroyed his pool in 1989. After his mother died, he never swam competitively again.

Duncan's path to NBA glory has been well-chronicled by now, as sweet as it is improbable. As he eagerly awaited the start of the Finals, William Duncan looked toward the sea, his eyes moistening as he spoke of the only aspect of the story that isn't sweet at all. He paused and took one more sip of tea.

"I can't stop thinking, 'What would it be like for his mother to see him now?' " Duncan said. "Can you (imagine) the beauty of that?"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2002 San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express-News (Texas)

May 1, 2002, Wednesday , METRO

SECTION: A SECTION; Pg. 6A

LENGTH: 448 words

HEADLINE: Star's dad stood tall in St. Croix ; Friends rememberhis quiet strength

BYLINE: John Gutierrez-Mier

BODY: William Therofield Duncan was well known throughout St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands even before his son Tim Duncan led the San Antonio Spurs to their first world championship in 1999.

"He was a very quiet man, a good father, good neighbor, and someone you could talk to," said Sarah Harvey, a longtime family friend who lived next door to Duncan for numerous years.

Duncan, 71, died Monday of cancer at the Winston-Salem, N.C., home of his daughter Tricia Duncan McKoy.

Born on the Caribbean island of Anguilla, he had lived since 1958 in St. Croix, where he was a pest-control business manager, a mason and handyman, among other jobs.

At one point he also sold fabric from his truck.

A father of six children, Duncan was especially proud of all of his children's many achievements, said longtime friend Wallace Williams, head librarian of the Florence Williams Public Library in Christiansted, where Duncan lived.

"He was very easygoing as well as very focused and disciplined," Williams said. "He always wanted the best for his children and provided for them and gave them all that they needed."

Williams and Harvey agreed that even as Tim Duncan's stature grew in the NBA, his father's easygoing manner never changed.

"To us he's just Timmy," Williams said. "As a father, he was always concerned about him. He was very proud of Tim and very protective. He wanted to make sure he had the right shoe size so he wouldn't get hurt. Sometimes we couldn't get all of the Spurs games televised here, so he'd come over to the library and we'd listen to it on the Internet. If he couldn't come over, he'd call me the next day and ask me what the score was. He will be missed."

Harvey said Tim always turned to his father for advice.

"He always wanted the best for his children," Harvey said. "Everyone more or less knew of (William Duncan) even before Tim became famous. I didn't expect him to change, and he never did."

Duncan was preceded in death by his wife, Delysia Bryan Duncan.

Besides Tim Duncan and McCoy, Duncan is survived by daughter Cheryl Lowery of Winston-Salem, N.C.; three sons, William Duncan of Antigua, John Duncan of Tucson, Ariz., and Scott Duncan of Iowa City, Iowa; three sisters; Mary Liza Webster, Iris Webster and Merle Lake, all of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; and two brothers, Austin Duncan of St. Thomas and George Duncan of St. Croix.

A memorial service will be conducted Thursday at St. John's Episcopal Church in Christiansted, St. Croix.

[email protected]

Vincent Moore, a staff writer at the Virgin Island Daily News, contributed to this report.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Don't trust Wikipedia without a highly critical eye, because things can change overnight. ;)

JSummers 08-09-05 08:25 AM

Quote:

Duncan was preceded in death by his wife, Delysia Bryan Duncan.
Interesting. I've read in probably a dozen articles "Ione", but like someone said, maybe Ione was a nick-name. Good articles, by the way... thanks for posting them.

This is where I got the niece thing:

TRIBUTE TO TIM DUNCAN OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS (House of Representatives - February 26, 1997)

[Page: H650] GPO's PDF

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the gentlewoman from the Virgin Islands [Ms. Christian-Green] is recognized for 5 minutes.

Ms. CHRISTIAN-GREEN. Mr. Speaker, I rise today with great pride to recognize and pay tribute to a superb athlete and a wonderful Virgin Islander: Tim Duncan of Wake Forest University.

Timmy, as he is better known by his friends back home, has been a star center for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons since 1993 and is currently one of the 12 players in the running to be named the 1997 College Basketball Player of the Year.

Last night, at the end of the Demon Deacons' last home game and at Tim's last home game as a student at Wake Forest, the university and the Winston-Salem community paid tribute to this outstanding student-athlete by making him only the eighth player to have his jersey, No. 21, retired.

I had the privilege of attending last night's ceremony to personally extend congratulations to Timmy and to his family on behalf of his thousands of friends back home in the Virgin Islands and Virgin Islanders across the country who could not be there to congratulate him in person.

Mr. Speaker, entering this month, Timmy had played in 114 consecutive games at Wake Forest. He holds the distinction of participating in more winning games as a Demon Deacon than any other player in Wake Forest history.

The premier player in America for 1996-97, according to leading college basketball experts, Timmy will complete his career at Wake Forest as the NCAA all-time leader in blocked shots. He has blocked at least one shot in all of his first 114 games at Wake Forest.

Mr. Speaker, it goes without saying how especially proud the people of the Virgin Islands are of their native son, Tim Duncan. I ask my colleagues to please join me in congratulating this wonderful student-athlete as well as his family, who were with him last night as we witnessed him receiving his honor in front of thousands of cheering Wake Forest University fans. Tim's family who were with him last night are his proud father, William Duncan, his older sister Cheryl, and her husband Rick Lowery and their children Sheynne, Kristin and Delysia; his youngest sister Tricia and older brother Scott.

A heartfelt congratulations to Timmy and his family and best of luck to Wake Forest as they prepare for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Go Deacons.

Mr. Speaker, that concludes my remarks this afternoon.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r105:H26FE7-199:

SRJ 08-10-05 01:22 AM

Favorite dunk: "Two hands from the half-circle."

Is proud to be a Spur.

About that weed rumor, I doubt it. Since when do NBA players smoke weed?

BTW, I loved all those super-quick responses on the official site. No elaboration, no nostalgia, no related anecdotes, just boom-boom-boom with the answers. So very Tim of him.

timduncan_girl 08-10-05 01:30 PM

When he was in College, his junior year, he was going to go to NBA Draft, but decided to stay in college caue of his mom told him and his sister needed to finish school. And then he went into the 1997 NBA Draft.

Godkid1 08-10-05 02:34 PM

for the person who said he took chinese lit (in his senior yr), wasnt amy his girlfriend? so why take it for another girl?
he actually may hold the record for taking the toughest courses while winning the ncaa player of the yr: psych, anthropology, and the chinese lit course (all as a senior)
also, i found out he also likes raibow sherbert as a fave dessert (in "tower of power")...but his website states differently.

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-10-05 04:23 PM

Timmy DOES NOT EAT COLDCUTS, that for sure. He would never be caught dead at a Quizno's.

timduncan_girl 08-10-05 08:45 PM

When he was 13 years old he was among the best of the US kids in his age group at swimming the 400 meter-freestyle

His high school was St. Dustan's Episocapal High School

His favortie sports to play (other then basketball) is football

Favorite Athlete is Magic Johnson

Favorite book Juarassic Park by Micheal Crichton

In 1992 a group of young NBA players visited St. Croix to promote their league. One rookie Chris King had played at Wake Forest University, in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Chris saw Tim playing in St. Croix. He persuaded Wake Forest Coach Dave Odom to check out his talented kid. Tim was just 16. Soon, other schools heard about Tim, too. They wanted Tim to playe for them but Tim eventually settled on Wake Forest and started school there in 1993.

At Wake Forest Tim became one of the best college player in the county.

He won the important Naismith and Wooden awards.

He was named the 1996-1997 NCAA National Player of the Year by the Assiciated Press.

Tim Duncan blocked 481 shots to become the all-time leading shot-blocker in the Atlantic Coast Conferance history and second all-time in the entire NCAA.

He was the 1st college player to: score more then 1,500 points, grab more then 1,000 rebounds, blcok more the 400 shot, and pass for more then 200 assist.

He helped Wake Forest become the 1st team in 14 years to win back-to-back ACC Championship.

Tim was the only rookie to be selected for the 1998 All-Star Game.

He won Rookie of the Month during each of all the six months. He recived 113 of 116 votes in the NBA Rookie of the Year voting.

In his rookie season he led the NBA in double-doubles by having 57.

In Tim's home he has so much video games equipment it doesnt fit into one room.

Silver Samurai 08-10-05 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkid1
i have two books about timmy, tim duncan -tower of power and slam duncan. each book has one or the other name for his mom. book 1 has ione, book 2 has delysia. i never could find out why

do you know where i can find these books?

timm 08-10-05 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JahDef

cause he's an introvert that probably watched more stateside t.v. broadcasts while the local rasta beach guys perfected thier ya man inflection.

timmy's a complex guy - someone that I would really like to b.s. with for awhile, and not even touch the subject of spurs / basketball.

good thread. better than ostertag vs. maytag debates.

LauraBC 08-11-05 02:13 AM

Again with the cold cuts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Samurai
do you know where i can find these books?

Tim Duncan: Tower of Power

Slam Duncan

Menudo Terremoto Williams 08-11-05 01:25 PM

Quote:

Again with the cold cuts...

This is significant....if John Gabriel caters IHOP in the Summer of 2000, Timmy would be playing in Central Florida.