News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-07-05, 07:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lorenzen Wright to the Spurs?

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Quote:
Lorenzen Wright deals have poured in from at least a half dozen teams. The most persistent suitors have been Toronto and San Antonio but both teams are offering less serviceable players and bloated contracts. The Griz have rejected those as wells as offers from Utah, Sacramento, Minnesota.
here is the link to the actual article:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...984114,00.html

It's a long, non-spurs related article, and the only relevant part is the one previously provided.

Quote:
both teams are offering less serviceable players and bloated contracts
jeez, i wonder who that is...

Last edited by mg06; 08-07-05 at 07:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Oh, oh, another Rasho trade rumour. I like that rumour site, it's a collection of news from newspapers that cover the NBA. They put everything there, that's even close to newsworthy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

it would be dissapointing if after all these ruomors rasho nesterovic is not traded. if he's not we will definitely look forward to the trading deadline when he might be traded
Old 08-07-05, 10:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

welcome to malik's world....well at least he's getting paid well enough to put up with the uncertainty and he has a ring on a team where he was a big contributor, through the regular season that is....
Old 08-07-05, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
Oh, oh, another Rasho trade rumour. I like that rumour site, it's a collection of news from newspapers that cover the NBA. They put everything there, that's even close to newsworthy.
I know that if I was a basketball writer, had no idea what to write and the deadline was... OMG in seven hours!

...I would come up with a trade Rasho rumour. No doubt about it.
Old 08-07-05, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdi
I know that if I was a basketball writer, had no idea what to write and the deadline was... OMG in seven hours!

...I would come up with a trade Rasho rumour. No doubt about it.
Dang, i guess there's alot of writers here in the US who don't do any work until 7 hours before the deadline cause it's like the 20th article about Rasho!
Old 08-07-05, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

C'mon west. You gave the heat a present now give us one!
Old 08-07-05, 11:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
Dang, i guess there's alot of writers here in the US who don't do any work until 7 hours before the deadline cause it's like the 20th article about Rasho!
Umm, well yeah ... that's the POINT. You can't start writing about Kobe-LeBron trade. You need to write about something everyone else writes about. Just change some names.
Old 08-07-05, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It makes PERFECT sense that the Spurs would offer Rasho for Wright's EXPIRING contract, but OBVIOUSLY West is not interested in trading him and plans to keep him in Memphis this season.
Quote:
Interestingly enough, the Griz still value Wright despite his public trade demand. West said there is a good chance that Wright could be on the roster when training camp begins. Trade talks involving Wright have been fruitless as far as the Grizzlies are concerned.

"He's earned the right to become a free agent, and we could offer him another contract at that time," West said. "I'm not mad at Lorenzen. This is part of the business.

I will confess that Rasho to Memphis was the ONE trade I actually thought might happen this off-season. I think Memphis is stupid here, as Rasho and Gasol together would work very, very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginoman
it would be dissapointing if after all these ruomors rasho nesterovic is not traded.
does that mean?
Old 08-07-05, 12:40 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Update

I have posted Number 1 before:

1. Spurs have already determined that they prefer to keep Nazr over Rasho. The M.O. of the Spurs FO is to give players two seasons to make it with this organization. (Brent Barry, please note.) They didn't think Nazr would play so well - here defined as him doing what Pop wants his center alongside Duncan to do - why they traded for him so now why pay two centers starting salary money.

2. Spurs don't want to go over the tax threshold by too much.

3. Spurs have begun to look at receiving an ending contract player in return for Rasho.

3. Without an extension, they figure to make Nazr a fair but not an outragious offer next summer.
(IMO I think they believe that paying Nazr a good, fair offer would still be less than paying what both Nazr and Rasho presently make.) Think about it, Spurs won't have to make much in moves next summer since they have all their players tied up and signed so they could give Nazr a raise and not use much or any of next year's MLE.

4. Part of the problem in trading Rasho is also the fact that most teams know what the Spurs are attempting to do so no matter how much Rasho may help them out they do not want to go out of their way to help the Champs. They don't want to be known as pulling an I. Thomas in regard to what he did back in February.
Old 08-07-05, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Moving Rasho, if it's going to happen, IMO will happen closer to the trade deadline..there's really no reason for a team to take Rasho off our hands right now..I would love a Rasho + money or picks for Wright & his expiring contract(I posted this trade a month or so ago & was flamed), but Memphis is not that stupid, they will wait & see what they can get for him closer to the deadline.
Old 08-07-05, 12:55 PM

thanks for those insights, Amente, I figure Rasho will be gone soon, but at the same time, I don't sense an urgency on the Spurs part. Well, maybe the Dallas deal for Wahad bordered on the panic sale mode, but everything else seems more like they are feeling out teams. My guess is that someone will take him, he is a good center, not a great one, he is a big body and he can cover the paint very well in a zone. Patience on the Spurs part will be rewarded, plus he will be insurance in case of injuries or something else.
Old 08-07-05, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Update

I have posted Number 1 before:

1. Spurs have already determined that they prefer to keep Nazr over Rasho. The M.O. of the Spurs FO is to give players two seasons to make it with this organization. (Brent Barry, please note.) They didn't think Nazr would play so well - here defined as him doing what Pop wants his center alongside Duncan to do - why they traded for him so now why pay two centers starting salary money.
By now this is pretty clear. Disappointing to me, because I didn't think Nazr was that much better, and has clear deficiencies, so I thought there should be more competition during training camp. But the availability of Oberto at 3yrs $7.5m might have swung things decidedly in favor of moving Rasho.

Quote:
2. Spurs don't want to go over the tax threshold by too much.
Not too much, but they should be ok with going over it a little. After all, it isn't as painful as before, when you lose $10m in redistributed tax if you are even $1 over the threshold. Also less risky since the tax threshold is now announced b4hand.

We are also not quite aware of the revenue side of the equation.

Quote:
3. Spurs have begun to look at receiving an ending contract player in return for Rasho.

3. Without an extension, they figure to make Nazr a fair but not an outragious offer next summer.
(IMO I think they believe that paying Nazr a good, fair offer would still be less than paying what both Nazr and Rasho presently make.) Think about it, Spurs won't have to make much in moves next summer since they have all their players tied up and signed so they could give Nazr a raise and not use much or any of next year's MLE.
I see. Get a guy like Lorenzen Wright with an ending contract for Rasho. Then let it expire next season. Take maybe $2m of that to add to a contract offer for Nazr over his current salary (which will up the offer to ~$7.5m starting). Save $5m. Then maybe spend $5m of MLE money on somebody, or stand pat.

Wright has the advantage of being a big man. Spurs must guard against the possibility that this might be the year Horry finally breaks down physically.

Quote:
4. Part of the problem in trading Rasho is also the fact that most teams know what the Spurs are attempting to do so no matter how much Rasho may help them out they do not want to go out of their way to help the Champs. They don't want to be known as pulling an I. Thomas in regard to what he did back in February.
Isiah.
Old 08-07-05, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Spurs have begun to look at receiving an ending contract player in return for Rasho.

Part of the problem in trading Rasho is also the fact that most teams know what the Spurs are attempting to do so no matter how much Rasho may help them out they do not want to go out of their way to help the Champs.
This is in a nutshell why I still believe Rasho WON'T be traded. In general, teams don't want to trade an expiring contract, but especially to the Spurs.

And it does NOT mean that all these teams think Rasho sucks nor that he could not help any of these teams, but they do NOT want to "help" out the Spurs.

This is how I believe things progress:
1. Teams with cap room did not need a center (Golden State) or want Rasho (Atlanta).

2. Teams who historically have wanted Rasho have gone a different direction center-wise in the past year (New York, Portland)

3. Spurs looked at players they would like to trade for but why would any team trade the Spurs a player they want.

4. Spurs willl try to trade for a player with an expiring contract (especially one who wants out of where he is) but again teams don't want to help the Spurs clear money- why would they. The original plan was to let Nazr's contract expire next summer- that was part of the reason for that trade. And be warned also Nazr, that you will only get another year to prove to the team what you are worth, as I do not believe Nazr gets an extension this summer. Spurs best dream come true is that Oberto is better than Nazr and they keep him as their cheap starting center and don't have to pay anyone a starter's salary at that position for a couple of years.

Now, the Spurs need to realize that they are partially responsible for creating the perception of Rasho that is making him hard to trade. If they really want to move him, they are going to have to keep him and play him. I really don't think he is going anywhere now. Teams don't want to trade an expiring contract for someone with 4 years left, especially because the Spurs gave up their first round pick next season to trade Malik away.

If you go through the league, there are not that many players with contracts expiring next summer who make within Rasho's salary range for trade possibilties. A few are on teams that have a center they already pay more than Rasho gets and some have gone a different direction this summer- like the Lakers. Others have rookies with big paydays coming up next summer. The most reasonable trade left for an expiring contract is- of course- Minnesota. Olowakandi for Rasho. Would it happen? Don't think so.
Old 08-07-05, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Scot Pollard is an expiring contract.
Old 08-07-05, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Scot Pollard is an expiring contract.
I know- I saw that and I thought of YOU!! But Indiana wouldn't take on Rasho's contract- not with O'Neil, Foster, and Croshure.
Old 08-07-05, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think they would consider it. Croshere will be waived, anyhow.

If Harrison doesn't pan out (did I just say that?), the Pacers have no big bodied center. Rasho sure would be nice.

I can hope, I guess.
Old 08-07-05, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Croshere will be waived- for sure?
Old 08-07-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOTEX
Moving Rasho, if it's going to happen, IMO will happen closer to the trade deadline..there's really no reason for a team to take Rasho off our hands right now..I would love a Rasho + money or picks for Wright & his expiring contract(I posted this trade a month or so ago & was flamed), but Memphis is not that stupid, they will wait & see what they can get for him closer to the deadline.
But if they're stupid enough to trade williams and posey to a contender, why the hell can't they do the same for us?
Old 08-07-05, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Croshere will be waived- for sure?
Well, he's the leading candidate. There has been talk of waiving Reggie's contract, but I don't think Walsh would do that. It would defeat the original purpose of still paying Reggie in the first place.

Bender is the other guy who might be waived. Croshere or Bender, Croshere or Bender, either one wouldn't upset me. I think both should get the axe.
Old 08-07-05, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

They wanted rid of Jason Williams.
Old 08-07-05, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoKazoo
But if they're stupid enough to trade williams and posey to a contender, why the hell can't they do the same for us?
1. Miami is in the East, while SA is in the same division.

2. West is trying to free up some cap room while attempting to rebuild sohe doesn't want Rasho's contract so anyone else's for that matter.

3. Most GMs don't want to help RC/Pop when they are already the Champs with a high majority of their team locked up for the next 3-4 years.
Old 08-07-05, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Keep Nazr over Rasho is a smart decision
Old 08-07-05, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
1. Miami is in the East, while SA is in the same division.

2. West is trying to free up some cap room while attempting to rebuild sohe doesn't want Rasho's contract so anyone else's for that matter.

3. Most GMs don't want to help RC/Pop when they are already the Champs with a high majority of their team locked up for the next 3-4 years.
So what team in the East would be able to improve with Rasho while helping the spurs get out the contract AND recieving a player of equal or greater value?

NEW YORK?
Old 08-07-05, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sorry, they just signed James and also do not have an expiring contract on the books within the salary range.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Next.
Old 08-08-05, 05:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
Keep Nazr over Rasho is a smart decision
Yeah for sure! I hope we do keep him, but then again without Rasho we don't have defensive helper for Timme
Old 08-08-05, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Rasho to Indiana Pacers for the last year of Reggie Miller's contract....why not?
Old 08-08-05, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJames
Rasho to Indiana Pacers for the last year of Reggie Miller's contract....why not?
Why did you write that one? You don't really think the possibility of Indiana accept this one is more than.. let's say... 0%? If so, why do you post trades with possibility of 0%?
Old 08-08-05, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I get jokes.
Old 08-08-05, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21
I get jokes.
Dude, I love your Sig. Nice Photoshop work!

Anyway, this looks like its becoming one of those Rose situations. We're really just looking to dump the contract at any cost except for a bad contract in exchange of course. Too bad for us, we don't really have 1st round picks to give out again but I think Rasho for Wright would be such an ideal trade for us. However, I realize Jerry West is too smart of a Gm to trick unlike "zeke"
Old 08-08-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Is there any chance that the Spurs move Duncan to the five spot and start looking for undersized power forwards (6'9-range) to pair him with? Maybe some smart defensive ones or possibly a solid and silent type?
Old 08-08-05, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAfan019
Dude, I love your Sig. Nice Photoshop work!

Anyway, this looks like its becoming one of those Rose situations. We're really just looking to dump the contract at any cost except for a bad contract in exchange of course. Too bad for us, we don't really have 1st round picks to give out again but I think Rasho for Wright would be such an ideal trade for us. However, I realize Jerry West is too smart of a Gm to trick unlike "zeke"
Wright has demanded a trade, but his contract expires this year, so they aren't going to trade him for a longer contract. And Buford is not a former Laker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiallo1984
Is there any chance that the Spurs move Duncan to the five spot and start looking for undersized power forwards (6'9-range) to pair him with? Maybe some smart defensive ones or possibly a solid and silent type?
Wayne Simien was available this year.
Old 08-08-05, 07:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

how about to Toronto? Alvin Williams or Lamond Murray or Morris Peterson
Raptors GM is not as smart as JWest too :-P
Old 08-08-05, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I like Reggie Evans from Seattle. RF probably too expensive.

Ive heard many here on SR say that PF or Center doesnt matter. both positions basically interchangeable. But its nice having a 7 foot guy change shots and give TD a breather.
Old 08-08-05, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
What about former Michigan and Toronto Raptor Maceo Baston his a defensive stopper who can also rebound, but he has said he wants to stay in europe as he has establish himself as one of the top players over there. However if there was a chance of getting him, I hope the spurs front office do consider him.
Old 08-08-05, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Sorry, they just signed James and also do not have an expiring contract on the books within the salary range.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Next.
Dude, you are talking about Isiah Thomas. You can't use logic when talking about what the Knicks can and and won't do.

Anyway, its in the Spurs best interests if Rasho has a good start to his year, so he's more attactive trade bait.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-08-05, 10:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I can't see him having a good start if he doen't start. He's got to climb over Nazr & Oberto just

to get decent mins. Not to mention TD & Horry. The Spurs are overstocked at the 4 & 5 pos.
Old 08-08-05, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Orlando may be an option, their 1st round pick is staying in Europe and he was supposed to help their frontcourt needs and they have 2 expiring contracts in Cato and Battie that the spurs could trade for.
Old 08-09-05, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Orlando may be an option, their 1st round pick is staying in Europe and he was supposed to help their frontcourt needs and they have 2 expiring contracts in Cato and Battie that the spurs could trade for.

Orlando has luxury tax issues so I do not think they'll want Rasho's contract especially when they have two expiring deals for next year.
Old 08-09-05, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Orlando has luxury tax issues so I do not think they'll want Rasho's contract especially when they have two expiring deals for next year.
Amente,

In your estimation or from whatever you have heard, do you think the Spurs will make any remaining moves during the offseason? Or will moves most likely be made after the 15th?
Any updates on Devin? Thanks.
Old 08-09-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod
Amente,
In your estimation or from whatever you have heard, do you think the Spurs will make any remaining moves during the offseason? Or will moves most likely be made after the 15th?
The Spurs, like most teams. are waiting to see what develops after the 15th.

Quote:
Any updates on Devin? Thanks.
Devin is visiting teams this week with Utah being one of them.
Due to the amnesty waived players and the Spurs luxury tax issue, they are playing a waiting game when it comes to Devin and finalizing their roster.
Old 08-09-05, 11:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Amente, do you know who the spurs would like besides Finley? Allan Houston maybe? He could fit that Steve Kerr role perfectly. Also do you think the spurs will take a chance on a RFA like G. Wallace or J. Jones? I figure since we don't have alot to offer(half the MLE?) we could offer a long contract, a 5yr 15million dollar deal for example might give thier team second thoughts on matching.
Old 08-09-05, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Amente, do you know who the spurs would like besides Finley? Allan Houston maybe? He could fit that Steve Kerr role perfectly. Also do you think the spurs will take a chance on a RFA like G. Wallace or J. Jones? I figure since we don't have alot to offer(half the MLE?) we could offer a long contract, a 5yr 15million dollar deal for example might give thier team second thoughts on matching.

Spurs still have an interest in J. Jones. They'll wait and see what happens. They could very well sign him if they think Indy has used up their funds on others and thus less likely to match and if they haven't used their own money on others..

They have some type of interest in most of the likely amnesty waivees already mentioned here.
I think it'll still be another 2-3 weeks before we finally know how this off-season plays out for the Spurs.
Old 08-09-05, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The guy is not going to be traded unless with package him with other considerations. Why not keep what we got and let the two make each other better this year and come the trade deadline maybe then we can move him.