News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-06-05, 10:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

OT: Car for a diehard Spurs fan

http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature...ying-spur.html

Motorshow: Bentley Continental Flying Spur
04 Mar 2005

The Continental Flying Spur saloon joined the existing Continental GT on the VW-owned, Crewe-based company's stand at Geneva, but did it look imposing enough? Up to the windscreen and dashboard the saloon is the same as the coupé, and maybe a little more differentiation - a bright metal line around the grille, perhaps - would have been good.

The Spur is certainly large, though, 500mm longer than the GT and 300mm bigger in the wheelbase. There's plenty of room in the back, and of course you're in the lap of luxury with leather, chrome, wood and barely a piece of unwelcome plastic in sight. The way you press the B in the Bentley badge to open the boot is very neat, and you release the bonnet's safety catch by pulling on the pop-up B at the other end.

The Spur is some 500mm longer than the GT
Despite the extra size, the Flying Spur adds a modest 90kg to the GT's admittedly considerable weight. This is thanks to, for example, new aluminium subframes which will find their way into the GT in due course. Engineering chief Ulrich Eichhorn, the Anglophile German who in a past life helped make Ford's Ka, Puma and Focus such good fun to drive, says the Flying Spur has better steering than the GT, less harshness in the ride and better body control over undulating roads, thanks partly to its Skyhook-principle continuously-adaptive dampers. Only around 30 per cent of the Bentley's parts are shared with its VW Phaeton relative, by the way.

But there could shortly be a further Phaeton connection, because the Flying Spur might be built in Dresden. This makes excellent business sense, but is a little hard to accept given the history... Dresden... Rolls-Royce aero engines... Bentley's declared Britishness... etc. Anyway, the Bentley factory in Crewe is stretched to full capacity thanks to the GT's unexpected success, and there's a waiting list. The 'glass factory' in Dresden, a beautiful building in which fewer Phaetons are made than Volkswagen would like, could easily boost Bentley production as the two cars' underpinnings are quite similar. It would also boost jobs at Crewe, because it could make more sub-assemblies - engines, suspensions, interior components and the like - to supply to Dresden for final assembly into cars for the German and central European markets. Crewe's limiting factor is in the assembly line, but the other parts of its operation could grow. The bodies for the Continental family already come from Mosel in Eastern Germany, incidentally.

As for the long-running Bentley Arnage, it seems that it will run a while longer yet. At least five years, says Dr Eichhorn.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-05, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cant wait to win the lottery to change my good ole Peugeot 406 for it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-05, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

You would think Bentley would be creative enough to actually put some nice rims on the car standard.

Anybody know what type of engine this car has?
Old 08-06-05, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman
It´s still a great car. How much did it cost you?
Old 08-06-05, 02:35 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
i drove a 406 for three years, now i drive a citroen xantia. looks as if i'm designated to french cars as the spurs are to french point guards. things could go worse.
Old 08-06-05, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieloliveto
It´s still a great car. How much did it cost you?
It costed me around $22K in 2000. I really like the traditional styling and the car is very solid, but it consumes and the gasoline is expensive. I would really like to switch it to GLP but I'm not sure if it will damage the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
i drove a 406 for three years, now i drive a citroen xantia. looks as if i'm designated to french cars as the spurs are to french point guards. things could go worse.
Oh, yes... it can go so much worse...
Old 08-07-05, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

A friend of mine just Purchased a 2005 Bentley Continental GT.

"How bout them Spurs!!"
Old 08-07-05, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
you should try the new Peugeot 407.......AMAZING car.
Old 08-07-05, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin R
you should try the new Peugeot 407.......AMAZING car.
I'm thinking to change for a 407 or something from Renault.
Old 08-07-05, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My friend makes decent money. He makes a little over $80k a month. I have no idea what he had to do to get the car. I just know it is nice. He just got the car and hasn't driven it yet since it arrived at the house. It has like 4 miles on it or some crazy #.

"How bout them Spurs!!"

Last edited by Chago; 08-07-05 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-08-05, 02:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chago
My friend makes decent money. He makes a little over $80k a month. I have no idea what he had to do to get the car. I just know it is nice. He just got the car and hasn't driven it yet since it arrived at the house. It has like 4 miles on it or some crazy #.
Damn, I hope you meant 80k a year, cause I would consider 80k a month more than just decent money.
Old 08-08-05, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs3:16
Damn, I hope you meant 80k a year, cause I would consider 80k a month more than just decent money.
That's a month. I wish I made that a year.

"How bout them Spurs!!"
Old 08-09-05, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
W-12, I forget how much HP but it's the same engine as in the Continental GT.

Edit: 552 twin turbo charged W12
Why do I even ask when I know the answer is going to be something stupidly good.

Old 08-09-05, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Horry already has the coupe equivalent of this (the GT) if anyone noticed it in the SBC site's movies.
Old 08-09-05, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

on second thought...if i had a jerkin off smilie this is definately the thread i'd most likely post it in