News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-05-05, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Grizzlies sign D. Stoudamire

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Grizzlies sign guard Damon Stoudamire

August 5, 2005
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Guard Damon Stoudamire on Friday signed a four-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, who traded Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells earlier this week.

The 10-year veteran spent the past eight seasons in Portland. He is coming off his best season with the Trail Blazers, averaging 15.8 points and 5.7 assists and shooting 91.5 percent from the foul line.

``Damon is an experienced veteran and proven leader on the court,'' said Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations. ``We feel we have added a significant player to our team and know that he will help take us to a different level than where we are today.''

The 5-foot-10 guard was drafted in the first round by Toronto in 1995 and was the 1996 rookie of the year. He was traded to Portland 49 games into the 1997-98 season. He left Portland ranked second behind Terry Porter for career 3-pointers and third in assists.

Updated on Friday, Aug 5, 2005 4:18 pm EDT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-05, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
``Damon is an experienced veteran and proven leader on the court,'' said Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations. ``We feel we have added a significant player to our team and know that he will help take us to a different level than where we are today.''
I agree. They'll go from the playoffs to the lottery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Whew! (Is there a "relieved" smilie?) There's one player I don't have to worry about the Spurs signing this summer.
Old 08-05-05, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What the hell happened to Jerry West? Did he work too long with Mitch Cupcake where bad karma permeated his decision making-process?
Old 08-05-05, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Call me crazy but I think this a slight upgrade over Jason Williams. Team still needs alot of help.
Old 08-05-05, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy
What the hell happened to Jerry West? Did he work too long with Mitch Cupcake where bad karma permeated his decision making-process?
Some posters and I guess D. Stoudamire himself didn't get copies of the Jerry West Internal memo that states that he believes that the present team could not progress enough to get past the first round of the playoffs and so he will break up half the team, get cap room and re-group with a new team in a couple of years.
Old 08-05-05, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i think there team is worse this year. losing stomile, jdubb and posey & adding damon.hmmmmmmmmmm
oh well they werent getting out of the first round
Old 08-05-05, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They might not be as good as they were last year but they eliminated a couple of bad attitudes in route to cleaning up their roster (J. Williams, B. Wells).
However they lost J. Posey who they could afford to lose with other decent SF (Battier & Warrick has alot of potential) and are expected to lose E. Watson where Stoudamire and Lopez will fill the PF void.
They also lost S. Swift in which can definitely be a starter elsewhere who was playing behind Gasol. Newcomers B. Jackson and E. Jones will split time at the SG position and fill the void left by Wells. To say the least their locker room attitude got better and at worst their bench got weaker but their starters are about equal to last season with Wright starting at center. The way I see it is they are not as good as a whole but have potential depending on how a few of their rookies (Lopez PG, Warrick SF, Roberts PF) progress may just get back to the playoffs sometime soon.
Old 08-05-05, 07:18 PM
Banned

i wanted the spurs to sign him.....trade for Wilks?
Old 08-05-05, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
A starter caliber PG for a 3rd stringer?
hello....d-stud is better than 3rd string
Old 08-05-05, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A lineup of:

PG - Damon Stoudmire
SG - Eddie Jones
SF - Mike Miller
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Lorenzen Wright

with a Bench that consists of:
G - Bobby Jackson
G - Rau Lopez
F - Shane Battier
F - Hakim Warrick
C - Brian Cardinal

G - Troy Bell
F - Lawrence Roberts

They may contend for a playoff spot...it depends on the chemistry...but Gasol, Eddie Jones and Mike Miller can still score....even D Stud can score.
Old 08-05-05, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe2Duncan
i wanted the spurs to sign him.....trade for Wilks?
God, you need psychiatric help after all!

d-stud??? Give me a freakin break with these stupid nicknames.

Damon Stoudamire will compete with Bobby Jackson for the starters job IMO. He's not a lock to be the automatic starter.
Old 08-05-05, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
God, you need psychiatric help after all!

d-stud??? Give me a freakin break with these stupid nicknames.

Damon Stoudamire will compete with Bobby Jackson for the starters job IMO. He's not a lock to be the automatic starter.
Old 08-05-05, 10:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This thread is funny
Old 08-06-05, 07:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

this fake Kobe2Duncan is funny
Old 08-06-05, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Some posters and I guess D. Stoudamire himself didn't get copies of the Jerry West Internal memo that states that he believes that the present team could not progress enough to get past the first round of the playoffs and so he will break up half the team, get cap room and re-group with a new team in a couple of years.
Some people can't see too far into the future and analyze what's going on now. Oh well.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis