News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-04-05, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

ESPN NBA Insider - 8/4/05

Talk NBA with John Hollinger

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, NBA Insider John Hollinger will stop by to take your questions on Wednesday's five-team megadeal, all the latest free agency rumors and more.

Send your questions now and join John in The Show on Thursday at noon ET.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Hey everyone, let's get started...

ryan (dc): Your thoughts on Miami? Is J Will an upgrade as far as play maker over both Joneses?

SportsNation John Hollinger: This was a fantastic trade for Miami, because they traded Eddie Jones for three players who, next season, are likely to be a whole lot better, and they unloaded his contract at the same time. J-Will has many flaws, but at the end of the day he doesn't turn the ball over and find the open man. If he plays any defense at all he'll be an upgrade on DJones. Posey will be a much better stopper than Jones was. Still not sure if 'Toine is a great fit, but as long as he's better than Laettner the Heat win big. My only concerns is the Heat overpaid Walker a bit.

Jonathan(NJ): Good Afternoon, oh mighty Statistical one! If I ranked the Central Division for next year: 1)Pacers, 2)Pistons, 3)Bulls 4)Bucks, and 5)Cavs, would you argue with me?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I like Cleveland third and the Bucks fourth. One thing's for sure -- the Central will be murderous this year. All five teams might make the playoffs.

Dan, WV: John, is Zaza Pachulia the only big the Hawks will go after now, or are they still interested in Curry or Chandler?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Zaza is their guy, and it appears the Bucks won't match. Pachulia is a great signing at that price. I think Curry's heart and insurance issues scared Atlanta off, and they never thought they had a shot with Chandler.

Joe (Happy Valley, Pa): With a lot of teams interested in marko Jaric, where will he end up?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Based on what the Clips are saying, it won't matter where Jaric signs because LA will match. PS, retire already Joe.

AJ Galveston Texas: Where do you think Nick Van Exel will end up? With salary caps an issue does houston, dallas, or SA have the best chance?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Van Exel lives in Houston in the offseason, so the Rockets have the upper hand.

Which brings up an interesting question: Why do so many NBA guys like Houston so much? Is there something about 107 degree summer days and sprit-breaking traffic that agrees with them? But I digress...

Joe (Atlanta): Will Harrington at the 5 work? or who will come off the bench for my hawks?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think in the short-term Marvin Williams will come off the bench and Pachulia will play the 5. Long-term, Harrington will be somewhere else so it won't matter.

Jay (Bakersfield, CA): Can or Will the Lakers sign a big free agent that will contribute at point guard where we need major help?

SportsNation John Hollinger: here's the hang-up -- the Lakers only won't to sign guys to two-year deals. That pretty much precludes any of the coveted guards from signing with them, because they can get five years from other teams. So LA will be left with the scraps.

Kevin (Glen Rock, NJ): What did the Nets find as a "CONCERN" with Shareef's physical? Any chance this deal doesn't happen now?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Glen Rock, what's up. Give a big shout out to the giant rock in the center of town. As for Shareef, nobody is saying what was found yet. I don't see what recourse the Nets have, though. Unless they find his elbow is about to fall off they probably need to go through with the deal, because Swift is already off the market.

Andy (Madison, WI): Why aren't the Bucks matching for Zaza. It's only 4 million for 4 years. After paying Abdur-Rahim money for Gadzuric the Bucks would be crazy to let my boy ZaZa go!

SportsNation John Hollinger: Andy, I'm a bit surprised too. They don't necessarily need Zaza, but I thought they would sign and trade him rather than losing him for free, or at worst match the offer and trade him down the road.

Jeremiah (Miami Beach, FL): TRUE or FALSE? Nesterovic will be traded this summer. Also, How much will Fabricio help us at Center position?

SportsNation John Hollinger: If Nesterovic isn't traded, it won't be for lack of trying. The Spurs are in full-on "what it would take for you to leave the lot today with a Rasho Nesterovic?" mode. Oberto would probably play PF with Duncan/Mohammed moving to C when he's out there, and only play C if paired with Horry. He's really too small to play center in the NBA but he's skilled and will be another source of points.

Michael (Boston): How have you not had a nervous breakdown? The Hawks' first major free agent "coup" is a shooting guard that you more than anyone know is overrated, since his stats are padded by an abnormally high minutes per game average. Your thoughts?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I was hoping nobody would birng that up today.

Um yes, the Johnson deal. Horrible, horrible deal for the Hawks. So not only do they have to pay Johnson about twicde what he's worth, they have to give up No. 1 picks for the right to do it. And of the two picks, one is only top-three protected in '07 and I believe its naked in '08, so they better get better fast.

michael (detroit): Is it just me or is Jerry West an idiot nowadays?

SportsNation John Hollinger: He's not an idiot, but he's getting a free pass for way too long even when his moves didn't work out. Other than two astute coaching areas, he's mostly been shooting blanks. They made this trade to dump salary in future years after Jones's deal expires, but it cost them two good players.

Code (New Orleans): John, What is your assessment of the Hornets offseason moves? Are they interested in anyone else?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Actually, I'm in the Big Easy slamming down some chickory coffee at this very moment. Loved the Bird Man signing and the Chris Paul pick and Macijauskas will really help. But I'm disappointed they haven't used all that cap space to hunt for bigger prey. I mean, getting Rasual Butler and Kirk Snyder for free is nice and all, but the Hornets have 36 mediocre small forwards already, so this really doesn't change the outlook.

Ted (Atlanta): Will this Hawks-Suns deal be completed? Or is it going to fall through? Somebody has to say something!

SportsNation John Hollinger: Apparently they're just waiting for the owners/Keystone Kops in Atlanta to approve the deal. It will happen, unfortunately.

Joe Dumars (Detroit, MI): John! Help me out here! I'm in a standstill since I lost Larry Brown and I haven't even attempted to sign any free agents! The rest of the East is making moves, but I'm just too scarred after losing my big time coach. Snap me out of it and give me some advice!

SportsNation John Hollinger: Joe, my guess is that you're waiting aroudn for a reason. Like, you want to see who comes available in the amnesty deals before you start dropping that midlevel exception money.

Dan (WV): John, why do you think Johnson is so over-rated? Do you not think his numbers would have been better had he not been the 4th option on offense? I do agree his playmaking skills are over-rated.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Not better, different. Johnson wasn't the fourth option the year before, and the results were what you'd predict: More points, lower shooting percentage, especially on 3s. He'll probably revert to that in Atlanta. As far as his playmaking, putting Johnson at point compeltely wasted the transition skills of Childress and Smith. Hawks would be better off with a guy that can push the ball.

Ryan: (Chicago, IL): So you think the Bulls will finish last in the Central this year? I say second or third barring any injuries.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Let's be clear: They could win 45 games and still finish last in that division. Teams that improve sharply in one season tend to bounce back a bit the next, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Chicago drop from 47 wins to something in the 42-45 range.

A.I. (Philly): Any chance Billy King will go after Michael Finley if he is released to help me and Webber?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Probably not. This is where the Korver and Green signings kill Philly -- they could have gotten somebody better for their full midlevel,but now they probably can't use it because they're right at the tax line (after they cut McKie). Not that they had a chance at Finley anyway, but a few other guys really could have helped.

Adam (Hartford, CT): Can you see any team that would take on Blount and Banks off the celtics hands?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Not many, I could see Memphis getting interested in that kind of package though.

Brian (Fairfax, VA): John, Are the Wizards done for the off-season? Do they have any cap room remaining?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Nobody is ever really "done" in the free-agent market. The Wizards, for instande, still have their low-level exception and then can sign players for the minimum ad infinitum. But as far as MAJOR moves, yes they're done. Daniels used up their whole MLE and they're not under the cap.

Scott (Albuquerque, NM): What will the Suns do with the trade exception after the deal? They still have holes to fill. And how much will it be? There were some rumors it would be more then the 4.9 Originally reported.

SportsNation John Hollinger: That trade exception is a huge reason this deal makes sense for Phoenix. I imagine they'll hang on to it until the trade deadline and then figure out what they need, but they could end up getting somebody nearly as good as JJ with it for a fraction of the price.

Kobe (Los Angeles, CA): Will Kwame and Lamar Odom help me win this year? Or will we be another lottery team? Thanks

SportsNation John Hollinger: Kobe, I think you're heading back to the lottery, although you'll stay close enough to .500 to make things respectable.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Folks, that's all the time I have. Thanks for all the questions and we'll do it again soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-05, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

thanks always spurs crusader and keep posting
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-05, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
If Nesterovic isn't traded, it won't be for lack of trying. The Spurs are in full-on "what it would take for you to leave the lot today with a Rasho Nesterovic?"
Damn thats hilarious
Old 08-04-05, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

NBA Rumor Central: Lakers eye Anderson

Other Rumors: MLB | NFL
You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.

Thursday, August 4
WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY
Derek Anderson
Derek Anderson
Trail Blazers

Rockets?
Timberwolves?
Heat?
Lakers?

Lakers eye Anderson
Aug 4 - With the Blazers waiving guard Derek Anderson via the amnesty clause, the Lakers have emerged as a leading candidate to sign the free agent. "In our minds, that's a pretty good fit for him," said Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt in the Los Angeles Times. "That's a good situation. They want to go short [in contract years], and we want to go short."

Anderson probably would accept a two-year deal if it was for the full midlevel exception of $5 million a season. Other teams that inquired about Anderson include the Heat, Rockets and Timberwolves, Dutt said.
Joe Johnson
Joe Johnson
Suns

Hawks
Suns

Setting Sun
Aug 4 - According to the Arizona Republic, the Suns' sign-and-trade deal with Joe Johnson has been delayed because of internal issues with the Hawks. On Wednesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that one of the team's owners, Steve Belkin, who is the team's NBA governor, has not signed off on the deal. And the NBA requires the team's governor to endorse it.

The Suns, however, believe that the deal -- Phoenix will match the Hawks' five-year, $69.6 million offer, and trade Johnson for guard Boris Diaw, two lottery-protected draft picks and a trade exception -- will be completed by Monday.
Marko Jaric
Marko Jaric
Clippers

Cavaliers?
Timberwolves?
Clippers?
Nuggets?

Marko on the market
Aug 4 - Marko Jaric will be back with the Clippers next season, the Los Angeles Times reports. General Manager Elgin Baylor said that Jaric's stated preference to leave "doesn't make any difference."

Jaric is a restricted free agent and the Clippers can match any offer another team makes. Jaric has visited the Cavs and Nuggets, and according to his agent, Bill Duffy, would like to start at point guard. Duffy suggested that a sign-and-trade deal "would be best for all parties," and said he hoped to meet with the Clippers before the end of the week to clarify Jaric's position.

Said Coach Mike Dunleavy: " I expect to have Marko back, and I don't see any issues for him." The agent also said the Lakers, Timberwolves, Jazz and Blazers have shown interest.
Nick Van Exel
Nick Van Exel
Trail Blazers

Rockets?
Heat?
Timberwolves?

Van Exel on the move
Aug 4 - Nick Van Exel could be open to coming to the Rockets, the Houston Chronicle reports. The Rockets can only offer their smaller exception, set last week at $1.67 million for the first season. And Van Exel, who has also drawn interest from the Heat and Timberwolves, has often said he would like to play in Houston, his adopted hometown.
Wednesday, August 3
Damon Stoudamire
Damon Stoudamire
Trail Blazers

Grizzlies
Rockets

Mighty Mouse in Memphis?
Aug 3 - The Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that Stoudamire will sign with the Grizzlies, possibly as early as Wednesday, a move set up by Tuesday's blockbuster deal that sent point guard Jason Williams to Miami.

Stoudamire had denied a previous report that he had agreed to a four-year, $17 million deal with Memphis, but the Commercial-Appeal also is reporting those terms.

The Rockets, Cavs and Heat also had shown interest in the point guard.
Kareem Rush
Kareem Rush
Bobcats

Bobcats?

Rush back to Bobcats
Aug 3 - The Charlotte Observer reports free-agent guard Kareem Rush will re-sign with the Bobcats. But Bernie Bickerstaff said deals with Rush and other free agents are not yet final.

"The conversations are non-adversarial," said Bickerstaff. "When we get them to agree -- and when they get us to agree -- we'll get them done."
Zaza Pachulia
Zaza Pachulia
Bucks

Hawks?

Hawks make offer to Pachulia
Aug 3 - According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Hawks signed Bucks center Zaza Pachulia a four-year, $4 million offer sheet. The Bucks have seven days to either match or let Pachulia, a restricted free agent, go to the Hawks.

With Andrew Bogut, Bobby Simmons, Joe Smith and Dan Gadzuric on board in Milwaukee, Pachulia is concerned about where he fits in with the Bucks' plans, said agent Marc Fleisher in the Journal Times. "There's no question playing time is a big concern for Zaza," said Fleisher.
Vladimir Radmanovic
Vladimir Radmanovic
SuperSonics

SuperSonics?

Sonics to meet with Radmanovic
Aug 3 - The Sonics are offering Vladimir Radmanovic a six-year deal that, with incentives, could be worth as much as $42 million, the News-Tribune reports. The restricted free agent and his agent, David Bauman, flew to Seattle to meet with Sonics owner Howard Schultz, CEO Wally Walker and general manager Rick Sund and negotiations will continue today.

Radmanovic still wants more and might wind up signing a one-year tender offer worth $3.2 million that will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent next season. Radmanovic has until Sept. 15 to sign the one-year tender.
Rick Brunson
Rick Brunson
Clippers

SuperSonics?

Seattle to sign Brunson
Aug 3 - According to the News Tribune, the Sonics will sign Rick Brunson to a contract this weekend. Brunson, who has been with six teams in nine seasons, will sign a one-year, $1 million deal to back up Luke Ridnour.
Walter McCarty
Walter McCarty
Suns

Market for McCarty
Aug 3 - The Boston Herald reports that free agent forward Walter McCarty has narrowed his choices down to Philadelphia, Houston and Dallas.
Old 08-04-05, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Crusader

My only concerns is the Heat overpaid Walker a bit.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Van Exel lives in Houston in the offseason, so the Rockets have the upper hand.

Oberto would probably play PF with Duncan/Mohammed moving to C when he's out there, and only play C if paired with Horry. He's really too small to play center in the NBA but he's skilled and will be another source of points.

Talking about Atlanta:
And of the two picks, one is only top-three protected in '07 and I believe its naked in '08, so they better get better fast.

Just imagine the Phoenix Suns getting a top 5 pick or so in the 2008 draft

michael (detroit): Is it just me or is Jerry West an idiot nowadays?

SportsNation John Hollinger: He's not an idiot, but he's getting a free pass for way too long even when his moves didn't work out.

Some interesting points I agree with in particular.
Old 08-04-05, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

man i hope the Lakers get DA. Bynum, Kwame, Odom, Kobe, and DA.

Sounds like a championship team to me!!

-Bruce Bowen
Old 08-04-05, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Damn thats hilarious
He also said Oberto can't play center in the NBA.
Old 08-04-05, 04:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
He also said Oberto can't play center in the NBA.
I'm not trying to make fun of Rasho, but the whole "what would it take for you to leave today with a Rasho Nesterovich " used car lot type of negotiating is very funny.

And there are a lot of players who they say can't play center in the NBA but are able to. How many true center are even out there, most teams have a PF playing Center.
Old 08-04-05, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Does anyone else think John Hollinger looks just like Champ from Ancherman?

Old 08-04-05, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Today is Anchorman day.

And that comparison is HILLARIOUS!
Old 08-04-05, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

WHAMMY!
Old 08-04-05, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Anchorman rox! "Brick, where did u get that hand grenade?" "I dont know." LMAO!

Oh SWEET ODENS RAVEN!!!

OH SAINT DAMIENS BEARD!
Old 08-04-05, 09:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

that escalated quickly. did it not?
Old 08-05-05, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillFactor
man i hope the Lakers get DA. Bynum, Kwame, Odom, Kobe, and DA.

Sounds like a championship team to me!!

Are you serious?????? They are a long way from being a contender.....
Old 08-05-05, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

NBA Rumor Central: Priorities?

Other Rumors: MLB | NFL
You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.
Friday, August 5
Eddy Curry
Eddy Curry
Bulls

Bulls?
Hawks?

Priorities?
Aug 5 - The Chicago Sun-Times reports that while the Hawks did not go the Eddy Curry route due to concerns about the center's health, the team was also disturbed that Curry and his fiancee cut their visit to Atlanta short in order to return to Chicago for a friend's baby shower. The Hawks were hoping Curry would stay two days, talk more with management and perhaps undergo a physical.

The only offer he has on the table is the Bulls' one-year, $5.2 million qualifying offer.
Nick Van Exel
Nick Van Exel
Trail Blazers

Nuggets?
Rockets?
Heat?
Timberwolves?

Van Exel on the move
Aug 5 - According to the Denver Post, Nick Van Exel said he signing with the Nuggets, the team he asked to be traded from during the 2001-02 season, is a possibility. "Of course I would consider Denver," the point guard said. "They are a team on the rise. They are doing good things. But it would be a little odd."

Nick Van Exel is also open to coming to the Rockets, the Houston Chronicle reports. The Rockets can only offer their smaller exception, set at $1.67 million for the first season. Van Exel, who has also drawn interest from the Heat, Spurs and Timberwolves, has often said he would like to play in Houston, his adopted hometown.
Damon Jones
Damon Jones
Heat

Cavaliers?
Heat?

Keeping up with Jones
Aug 5 - Point guard remains a priority for the Cavs and the team has made a big push for free agent Damon Jones, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. "The Cavs have expressed serious interest in Damon, and we recognize that the franchise is moving in the right direction," said Mark Termini, Jones' agent.

Meanwhile, the Heat are still hoping to re-sign Jones.
Doug Christie
Doug Christie
Magic

Doug out
Aug 5 - With no trading partners in sight Doug Christie, the Orlando Magic will waive the veteran guard in the next couple of days under the NBA's new amnesty clause, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The move will free up a roster spot and save the team $8.2 million.
Greg Buckner
Greg Buckner
Nuggets

Wizards?
Pistons?
Nuggets?
Rockets?

Buckner waiting
Aug 5 - Denver free agent Greg Buckner is still hopeful to re-sign with the Nuggets, the Denver Post reports. Said agent Steve Kauffman: "We're still optimistic about reaching a deal with Denver. It's just not something I foresee happening immediately. It may be a week or two down the line."

The Nuggets will probably wait for the August 15 "amnesty" deadline to see which other players become available.
Old 08-05-05, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Seems like a lot of teams are waiting for the Amnesty deadline- wonder if much will happen bewteen now and then.
Old 08-05-05, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
he's skilled and will be another source of points.
What kind of points from where? Hasn't it been mentioned that he plays like
Horry but without the scoring?
Old 08-08-05, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Monday, August 8
Damien Wilkins
Damien Wilkins

Nuggets?
Timberwolves?
Hawks?

Nuggets eye shooting guard
Aug 8 - According to the Denver Post, the Nuggets are eyeing Seattle's restricted free agent shooting guard Damien Wilkins. Agent Mark Bartelstein named the Nuggets among the teams eyeing Wilkins. Others reportedly interested include Minnesota and Atlanta.

"We're having conversations, but nothing's settled right now," Bartelstein said.
Old 08-08-05, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Damn thats hilarious
Quote:
If Nesterovic isn't traded, it won't be for lack of trying. The Spurs are in full-on "what it would take for you to leave the lot today with a Rasho Nesterovic?"
No laughing? I'm asking, because it was YOU who posted this one first on this forum and now it's funny again? I thought it might be one of those things that makes you ROFL everytime you read it. If so, I recommend you put it in your signature...

(BTW I don't think it's that funny, but then again - I'm not Rasho hater. )
Old 08-08-05, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On
What kind of points from where? Hasn't it been mentioned that he plays like
Horry but without the scoring?
ptfddsasdf... Oberto plays like Horry... yeah, two of a kind... they might both be savvy, they might both be winners, but they are not similar players... about scoring, he has pretty good post moves. He is not a scorer, but he can score. In the 2002 WC final match, he dropped 28 against Vlade and Yugoslavia.
Old 08-08-05, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivarea

Are you serious?????? They are a long way from being a contender.....
You need a crush course on sarcasm...

...and you need it NOW!