News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-03-05, 12:03 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Spurs still want Javotkas?

The agency of Argentinean power forward Fabricio Oberto, Interperformances have announced that the player is in negotiations to make a deal with the NBA Champions San Antonio Spurs and should sign. Oberto, who also has Italian passport, has already tried to get to the NBA last summer when he was close to sign with the Sacramento Kings. After a few seasons in Spain, the player decided to leave his recent team Pamesa Valnecia. Last season, Oberto averaged 14.2 ppg and 7.2 rpg in the ACB.

This off-season, Spurs have also been interested in other two European frontcourt players - another Argentinean Luis Scola and Robertas Javtokas.

http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2145
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-05, 12:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't see them bringing him over this year, as he doesn't fill a need.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-05, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He already reached an agreement with his team in Europe.
Old 08-03-05, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

robertas is still getting forged into the player the spurs want.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 08-03-05, 04:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla
Is he the youngster of the motorcycle accident????
Old 08-03-05, 04:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Yes he was the one who had the motorcycle accident
Old 08-03-05, 07:52 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
I doubt we ever see Javtokas in a Spurs uni.
me too. and i doubt that even without the accident javtokas would have ever been at spurs level. he is long,strong and athletic, but imo not talented enough. not . i think even before the accident javtokas was a bit overrated (in the eyes of spurs fans, who are too spoiled by spurs FO and expect every second round pick of the spurs will turn out to be a manu-like player)
Old 08-03-05, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
me too. and i doubt that even without the accident javtokas would have ever been at spurs level. he is long,strong and athletic, but imo not talented enough. not . i think even before the accident javtokas was a bit overrated (in the eyes of spurs fans, who are too spoiled by spurs FO and expect every second round pick of the spurs will turn out to be a manu-like player)
True...he had the physical abilities, if his basketball skills had improved to match he would have been a gem. If the Spurs can pull a high quality player out of the 2nd round every 3rd year that would be amazing...even the late 1st round is a crapshoot.
Old 08-03-05, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla
Exactly right. I actually really liked how Javtokas played during the Olympics last year, so the frontcourt situation looks good with him and (possibly) Scola waiting in the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding
True...he had the physical abilities, if his basketball skills had improved to match he would have been a gem. If the Spurs can pull a high quality player out of the 2nd round every 3rd year that would be amazing...even the late 1st round is a crapshoot.
Again, exactly right. Don't forget about the two, very young Euro second rounders the Spurs drafted last year - Forward Viktor Sanikidze and Center Sergei Karaulov. I definitely expect to hear from them in a year or two or three. (And yeah, I know Karaulov was in the summer league.)
Old 08-03-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
This off-season, Spurs have also been interested in other two European frontcourt players - another Argentinean Luis Scola and Robertas Javtokas.
Yeah, right.
Robertas signed back in Europe back before the Spurs playoff season was over.
Old 08-03-05, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob42378
Exactly right. I actually really liked how Javtokas played during the Olympics last year, so the frontcourt situation looks good with him and (possibly) Scola waiting in the wings.
I guess NBA rule-wise they are waiting in the wings, but I really doubt either will ever be a Spur.

They drafted another forward with their 1st round pick this year and they just signed Oberto for 3 years. I think Scola's rights will be traded. If not this year, then in next years draft to try and get that elusive 3 (I believe NY has our pick).

I don't think there is any interest for Javtokas in the NBA.
Old 08-04-05, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't know about him not playing for us. The guy had a major auto accident in 2002 and had to have several surgeries to correct everything. But, still managed to have a decent year and played pretty good against the U.S team. So I would not write the kid off yet he has heart and who knows what another year of playing what he will be like.