Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-05, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's official, 5 team trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122976

Walker to Miami from Boston highlights megadeal
Associated Press

MIAMI -- In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal.

The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing that had been the biggest in league history.

Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas from the Hornets; Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package -- Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash -- from Miami; New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah; and the Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-05, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Miami

Shaq ---Dwayne Wade -- Antwoin Walker

White Chocolate -- Posey

This is a HELL of a CORE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-05, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Mia did make out like bandits!
Old 08-02-05, 10:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Miami
C - Shaq, Zo, Doleac
PF: Walker, Haslem, Simien
SF: Posey, Wright
SG: Wade
PG: JWill, Emmett

And they sill have MLE. Woowww..
Old 08-02-05, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i think Zo might not be back because he wants more playing time and doesn't want to sit on the bench at the end of games.
Old 08-02-05, 11:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

lol Utah gets......................................... Ostertag
Old 08-02-05, 11:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
i think Zo might not be back because he wants more playing time and doesn't want to sit on the bench at the end of games.
he can always stand up and cheer..
Old 08-02-05, 11:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

it makes them better but i see that thing blowing up, not working. white chocalate nor 'toine can defend.

not enough shots.
Old 08-02-05, 11:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern lights
it makes them better but i see that thing blowing up, not working. white chocalate nor 'toine can defend.

not enough shots.
My point exactly, not enough shots for all 5 of them. AW and JW will throw up 3's and not set of the offense. Can you say "inplosion"
Old 08-02-05, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I am admittedly not the biggest fan of JWill, but DAMN!!!! This is the most ridiculously one-sided trade I've seen since the one they made last year to get the big guy. And all they gave up was the aging Eddie Jones' big contract, and Rasual Butler? Unbelievable!!!

Miami's up there now.

How the hell do five teams come together and do something this lopsided? It's like they all did like Captain Planet and pooled all their talent to make just Miami better.

I still don't trust JWill, but he can get very hot, and I like everything else they got with him.
Old 08-02-05, 11:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Talent wise this deal is lopsided - but championships are not won on paper - until they get their chemistry together, Detroit is still #1 in the East.

But holy crap that team will be fun to watch if they get it together.

Last edited by canyoufeelit; 08-02-05 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 11:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

wow. 2 years in a row miami gets away with a "ridiculous , too good to be true " kinda trade
Old 08-02-05, 11:53 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

OMG Miami.....omg.....nice going.....gawd dang!

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 08-03-05, 12:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semut
Miami
C - Shaq, Zo, Doleac
PF: Walker, Haslem, Simien
SF: Posey, Wright
SG: Wade
PG: JWill, Emmett

And they sill have MLE. Woowww..
I think it would be a serious mistake for miami to start Walker over Haslem. Walker may be a better offensive tallent,more range and such but Haslem takes smarter shots, is a better rebounder and a better defender!
Old 08-03-05, 12:03 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Riley is setting Van Gundy up to fail.

The minute that SVG has problems coralling Williams & Walker, and the minute that the Heat hit a bump in the road, I wouldn't be surprised to see Riley fire Van Gundy.

He wants this job back so badly - but he doesn't want to tarnish his image or legacy by throwing SVG under the bus after last season.

He brings in two notorious "coach killers" and unloads them on Van Gundy by saying "here, we got you more talent - get us to the Finals"

The slightest bump in the road next season and Riley will fire Van Gundy.

He may be a HOF coach - but I think he's a weasel with a plan.
Old 08-03-05, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB

The minute that SVG has problems coralling Williams & Walker, and the minute that the Heat hit a bump in the road, I wouldn't be surprised to see Riley fire Van Gundy.

He wants this job back so badly - but he doesn't want to tarnish his image or legacy by throwing SVG under the bus after last season.

He brings in two notorious "coach killers" and unloads them on Van Gundy by saying "here, we got you more talent - get us to the Finals"

Good point.
Old 08-03-05, 12:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think the Celtics got a lot for Antoine Walker considering they didn't want him anyway: 2004 second round pick Albert Miralles (could be a steal), Qyntel Woods, Curtis Borchardt and 2 second round picks as well as cash. Plus, the Hornets only gave up the rigths to a 30 year old Center from Spain (Roberto Duenas) and got Kirk Snyder and Rasual Butler. Not bad. What was Memphis thinking....Eddie Jones contract is almost as bad as Finley's!!!
Old 08-03-05, 12:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Shaq's locker charisma will likely keep Williams and especially Walker in check. Antoine will know who the alpha dog is. The question is whether he can make them better players (probably) with better basketball IQs (probably not). It's ridiculous how much these two guys are overrated by many fans of the game.
Old 08-03-05, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That's silly Rich. The only disruptive player on a Shaq team was a certain talented dumbass SG. Shaq is one of the best leaders in the league and will rein in those guys. Walker has no reputation as a coach killer - a chucker yes, but he never had problems with any coach. Same with Jason Williams, maybe they drove their coaches bonkers, but they didn't get them fired behind the scenes a la the classic definiton of a "coach killer."

Riley is setting them up to succeed, with the most exciting backcourt in the league and a frontcourt of Shaq/Zo Walker/Haslem that is unmatched career production wise. This is the best Shaq team ever on paper.
Old 08-03-05, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wanna take bets on how long it will be before Ainge trades to get him back again?
Old 08-03-05, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

i'm not al that impressed. walker hasn't done so much except shoot a lot. shaq's not going to like that. williams has managed to get evicted from two playoff teams. posey is an underachiever. emmit played in 8 games for a team that followed the little league montra to play everyone.

yeah, they aren't going to want to make shaq mad, but they are who they are. they aren't good at being what they are not. that team is a powder keg now. that bad kind.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 08-03-05, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
That's silly Rich. The only disruptive player on a Shaq team was a certain talented dumbass SG. Shaq is one of the best leaders in the league and will rein in those guys. Walker has no reputation as a coach killer - a chucker yes, but he never had problems with any coach. Same with Jason Williams, maybe they drove their coaches bonkers, but they didn't get them fired behind the scenes a la the classic definiton of a "coach killer."

Riley is setting them up to succeed, with the most exciting backcourt in the league and a frontcourt of Shaq/Zo Walker/Haslem that is unmatched career production wise. This is the best Shaq team ever on paper.
We shall see.
Old 08-03-05, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

On another note, do you feel better about predicting Miami to reach the 06 Finals?
Old 08-03-05, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
On another note, do you feel better about predicting Miami to reach the 06 Finals?
Not really. They were the favorite anyway.

I think they'll probably go - but I wouldn't say they're a stone cold lock.

I'm more worried that Riley is unfairly pulling the rug out from under Van Gundy.

Keep an eye on this situation. Trust me.
Old 08-03-05, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Anyone want to keep Rasho around now? Just asking.
Old 08-03-05, 12:38 AM

Don't start. It seems that silliness is finally dying down - no need for you to drag that out again.

Been there. Done that.
Old 08-03-05, 12:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Don't start. It seems that silliness is finally dying down - no need for you to drag that out again.
You must not have read a couple of the other threads tonight.

It is a valid question. If everyone is so sure that Miami will be in the Finals, does that make anyone at all re-think their thought that the Spurs should dump Rasho for a bag of chips. Shaq also signed a five-year deal today. I heard commentators saying Miami will win at least 2 titles in the next 5 years.
Old 08-03-05, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
You must not have read a couple of the other threads tonight.

It is a valid question. If everyone is so sure that Miami will be in the Finals, does that make anyone at all re-think their thought that the Spurs should dump Rasho for a bag of chips. Shaq also signed a five-year deal today. I heard commentators saying Miami will win at least 2 titles in the next 5 years.
I got you. I misunderstood.

My apologies.

I've always said it's best for the team to keep him, but with Miami building a stronger team - even more so.
Old 08-03-05, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Shaq wants the ball. Every time down. Shaq may literally kill Jason Williams.

Shaq to Jason as he cocks his fist: "White Chocolate meet Black Moses."
Old 08-03-05, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

You thought Miami got all the television love before...this year will be ridiculous!! Was Miami the only team negotiating the trades? IDIOTS! Gosh
Old 08-03-05, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Miami, with Walker and Williams, Spurs would sweep them in the Finals, easily. The biggest problem will be their defense and team chemistry issues, this could backfire on Miami really bad.

Last edited by bcl11oc; 08-03-05 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 01:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Does anybody have any thoughts on what the phuck Jerry West was thinking?
Old 08-03-05, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDog
He's blowing it up and reducing payroll.

Memphis insiders have stated that West and management think last years Grizzlies team had gone as far as it was going to go in the Western Conference.

I think Jerry West will give it one more chance this season, but he's also reportedly looking at retirement.
Old 08-03-05, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Miami give up their best defender and a guy who can step up and score alot when needed but added 2 offensive minded players that don't play D and this is really good for them? scoring really wasn't a problem for them last year was it? NO, they were the top scoring team in the east!!! Walker and Williams just take away shots from Wade and Shaq.
Old 08-03-05, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

After a couple of hours of letting the trade sink in, I still think the Pistons and Pacers are better.

But you know ABC/ESPN wants Miami to get to the Finals and win. I hate their NBA coverage. TNT all the way!!!
Old 08-03-05, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

On paper, it's impressive. That is all for now

Interesting conspiracy theory, Rich. We've seen how 1 bad season can get a good coach pulled (IE Flip) so it's a definite possibility.

canyoufeelit - What about Penny and Eddie Jones (1st time)? I thought Shaq didn't get along with them...I was just watching Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Kobe For The Breakup Of The Lakers, and reason #3 was Shaquille O'Neal. He always has to be the man. And I agree. You don't see real leaders like Tim, getting angry about deferring to anyone else, or sharing the ball. Props to Shaq for getting along with Wade (as it should be because Wade was there first) but it almost makes him look like a hypocrite
Old 08-03-05, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Memphis
Out
Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett
In
Eddie Jones, Raul Lopez

Miami
Out
Eddie Jones, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, two second-round picks
In
Antoine Walker, Andre Emmett, Roberto Duenas

Boston
Out
Antoine Walker
In
Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, Roberto Duenas, two second-round picks

Utah
Out
Kirk Snyder, Curtis Borchardt, Raul Lopez
In
Greg Ostertag

New Orleans
Out
Roberto Duenas
In
Rasual Butler, Kirk Snyder

I got that from SI .......looks wierd. I think its messed up. Got this from Foxsports.com

NBA Blockbuster: Who's going where

Heat get Antoine Walker,Jason Williams ,James Posey ,Andre Emmett ,Roberto Duenas (draft rights)

Celtics get Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles(draft rights) ,Two second-round picks, Cash

Grizzlies get Eddie Jones, Raul Lopez

Jazz get Greg Ostertag

Hornets get Rasual Butler ,Kirk Snyder

Last edited by james_austintx; 08-03-05 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 04:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_austintx
Memphis
Out
Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett
In
Eddie Jones, Raul Lopez

Miami
Out
Eddie Jones, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, two second-round picks
In
Antoine Walker, Andre Emmett, Roberto Duenas

Boston
Out
Antoine Walker
In
Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, Roberto Duenas, two second-round picks

Utah
Out
Kirk Snyder, Curtis Borchardt, Raul Lopez
In
Greg Ostertag

New Orleans
Out
Roberto Duenas
In
Rasual Butler, Kirk Snyder

I got that from SI .......looks wierd. I think its messed up.
From the looks of it Jason Williams and James Posey were kicked out of the league, Rasual Butler and Greg Ostertag appeared out of thin air, and Roberto Duenas is now playing for two teams.
Old 08-03-05, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDog
The current team was stuck making the first round. They probably want to clear some cap space and put together a stronger team. I wouldn't be surprised to see West doing more trading after this. Just moving pieces around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
Miami give up their best defender and a guy who can step up and score alot when needed but added 2 offensive minded players that don't play D and this is really good for them? scoring really wasn't a problem for them last year was it? NO, they were the top scoring team in the east!!! Walker and Williams just take away shots from Wade and Shaq.
Posey's D > Jones' D

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 08-03-05, 05:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

I dont think the heat make this deal as some set up for a coach. Riley has already said he has no plans to coach and JVG will be coaching this whole season
Old 08-03-05, 06:26 AM
Abominable snowballer

unbelivable deal of the heat. talentwise.
we don't need to discuss if walker or williams play enough defense or not.
they gave up the aging jones (who has a ridiculous contract) and rasual butler (who is a usefull bench player, but not more) and they get back 3/5 of a starting five.
a PG who is the third best passer in the nba (after kidd and nash)
a swingman in his prime with very good defense, not so bad offense and a moderate priced contract.
one of the most versatile forewards in the league who also is still only 28.

of course they will have to find chemistry, of course they need to define a role for walker which is different from shooting most 3s of the team.

but for Heaven's sake !!!!! this could be one of the best trades in the history of the nba (for the heat of course)

to get rid of the worst contract of the team by aquiring tons of talent that happens to adress many of the teams needs is simply brilliant!
Old 08-03-05, 07:19 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

this team is off the hook! (on paper)...
that is crazy.

nothing will ever beat (in the recent past and future) the halloffame squad the lakers had, but this is a team w/ players all somwhat in their prime, and shaq and wade offset themselves in rookie energy vs vet knowledge (if shaq has any of that)!

man. crazy crazy.
Old 08-03-05, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

so of COURSE the next question is, can they beat the Pistons??

I think they have enough talent....

Pistons D might not be able to win them the game, their O is gonna have to step it up.
Old 08-03-05, 07:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Heat seem to have improved if some kind of chemistry can be accomplished. SVG will be under alot of pressure to make this work out. It looks as though the Heat even have enough $$ to re-sign Damom Jones a key contributor last year. They would still need a decent backup PG and they with some guidance will atop the East along with Indiana, who knows how the Pistons will react without Brown.
Old 08-03-05, 07:42 AM
Abominable snowballer

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celt...rticleid=96387

As long as free agent Walker had long-term options in the marketplace, the Celts were not truly interested in bringing him back. By making this move, the club allows its former captain to get more than the mid-level exception of $5 million as a starting salary. Walker will receive a six-year deal worth $53 million from the Heat.

thats quite more money than the MLE offers walker got.

at least you can say that the paycut of shaq was used to sign walker and the summed up salery of williams (7.5) and posey (5.9) is lower than the one of jones (14.6)

the moves of the heat are not only impressive talentwise, but also from a financial point of view.
Old 08-03-05, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

dam, why didn't memphis just throw in gasol, battier, and stromile swift?

wait a minute.. didn't utah already aquire ostertag from sacto? and trade snyder there?
or was that deal busted up?

Last edited by 4down; 08-03-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Look out Miami ladies! Roberto Duenas is coming to a South Beach hot spot near you!

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 08-03-05, 08:38 AM
Play-By-Play Moderator

Am I the only one here that thinks this is a huge mistake for the Heat??? I mean, last year the Heat had a hobbled Shaq and Wade and barely lost to the Pistons in the Conference Finals. All they had to do was tweak the team a little but noooooo.......they have totally made over the entire team.

They loose Jones but pick up Williams and Walker. Both guys will demand the ball but they already have 2 guys that demand the ball. Williams will jack up those 30 foot three's regardless but Walker and Shaq and Wade will have to find a way to co-exist on offense and I don't think that they can do it.
Old 08-03-05, 08:42 AM
SpursReport Team Member

WAY too many egos there, I love this !! Can't wait to see the train wreck happen
Old 08-03-05, 08:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by callo1
WAY too many egos there, I love this !! Can't wait to see the train wreck happen
sounds like wishful thinking to me

these moves make the heat the title favourites in my mind...wade and shaq is enough now you add guys like posey,williams and walker? thats very tough to deal with. They were a two man team last year now you add guys who can score and shoot, slash and rebound....it has got to make the heat look very scary indeed