News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-01-05, 10:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs after Marcus Brown

1st August, 2005 - 11:17 pm
DraftExpress - Jonathan Givony from DraftExpress.com is reporting that CSKA Moscow guard Marcus Brown is seriously considering three different contract offers he has been made from NBA teams this summer.

Brown, a 6-3 extremely athletic combo guard who has had stints with both the Portland Trailblazers and Detroit Pistons in 1997 and 2000, was the highest paid player in Europe last year playing for Euroleague Final Four participants CSKA Moscow.

He has offers from the Cleveland Cavaliers , San Antonio Spurs and Seattle Supersonics , and is expected to make a decision within the next week regarding where to sign.

Givony spoke with Brown’s agent, Craig McKenzie and confirmed that these offers are indeed on the table.

According to various media reports in Europe, Brown also has contract offers from Hapoel Jerusalem in Israel and Ulker in Turkey in excess of 1.5 million dollars net. McKenzie confirmed that those teams are indeed interested, and although the reported numbers are close, he believes Brown can do better than that.

The holdup appears to be whether or not Brown can garner a contract offer for more than the NBA minimum and/or also receive the job security of an additional guaranteed year from one of those interested teams. If not, Brown will most likely return to Europe and reclaim his place as one of the highest paid players in the world outside of the NBA

realgm

Marcus Brown euroleague stats

Last edited by undertoh; 08-01-05 at 11:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This does not make sense for the Spurs unless he is paid the minimum. The Spurs don't need a small overpaid unproven shooting guard from Europe when they are nearing the luxury tax.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 11:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wrong Brown! We don't need him, we need Devin Brown damnit.
Old 08-02-05, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

His stats seem underwhelming.

*shrugs*
Old 08-02-05, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Boo this brown. Booo!
Old 08-02-05, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i have sources that know devin real well.... teach at his camp and everything and they say its real slim that devin will be back with us...even tho i do want him back
Old 08-02-05, 12:50 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

GO UTSA! GO ROADRUNNERS! GO DEVIN!
Old 08-02-05, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

In RC we trust

If RC wants this Brown then I will welcome him.
Old 08-02-05, 02:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Must mean something about how the Spurs have followed the guy if one of the other two teams is Cleveland!

Quote:
extremely athletic combo guard
This actually sounds like someone the Spurs would bring. It seems like a second year on his contract could convince him to come.

We need 4 more guys. The end of the bench, practice players are not going to overwhelm everyone. He could serve double duty, as a third point guard for practice and also a SG.

I don't think the Spurs interest in him has anything to do with Devin Brown.

Good find, Undertoh!
================================================== ========================
??
This is dated July 24 and claims he agreed to a one-year deal in Turkey.

http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2204
Old 08-02-05, 03:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

well if you lose devin because of his back or because another team would offer him more playing time and money... a guy like this would be perfect. (someone like him) if he can play both spots, he's gonna be an end of the bench player - 3rd point and 3rd sg for depth. devin was already neck and neck with barry during the regular season before the stuff with his back. getting a guy like this, theres no controversy and no risk of back problems.
Old 08-02-05, 03:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i think the thing with devin is the spurs are reluctant to give a guy with a back problem alot of money, however i don't know if the spurs could find anyone as good as devin, or with devin's proven playoff productivity as for this guy, honestly i have never seen or heard of this guy but at 6'3 if the spurs would get him it would be for very little money and i guess would compete for a backup playing time at point.
Old 08-02-05, 03:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I watched this guy in Euroleague, and didn't like him, because he's selfish.
Old 08-02-05, 04:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I thought he had signed with Ulker in Turkey, but apparently it was not a done deal. I've watched him too last year in the Euroleague and I'm not a big fan of him. He wasn't even the best guard of his team. That's Papaloukas, a 6'6 Greek point guard. The only American NBA combo guard in Europe is Parker and he will stay in Tel Aviv.
Old 08-02-05, 06:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Anthony Parker is much better but he will not leave his team.
Old 08-02-05, 08:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
GO UTSA! GO ROADRUNNERS! GO DEVIN!

Thank you Jason!
Old 08-02-05, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedT
i have sources that know devin real well.... teach at his camp and everything and they say its real slim that devin will be back with us...
I told you when the season ended that Devin was not a lock to return, no matter how much he really wants to be here.
Old 08-02-05, 09:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

SF
SF
not G
SF
Old 08-02-05, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

M brown can be considered as D Brown leave, SPURS have quite a lot "experienced" player but not young gun
Old 08-02-05, 01:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Isn't Marcus Brown just another version of Antonio Daniels? A 'tweener.
Old 08-02-05, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't know if we'll see marcus brown on jim commercials anytime soon