SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-05, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Wolves also interested in Evans and Devin Brown Update

innesota Likes Maurice Evans
1st August, 2005 - 2:29 pm
Pioneer Press - Roger Montgomery, the agent of Maurice Evans told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that his client

"Coach Casey really likes Maurice," Montgomery said Sunday. "He got to see Mo up close and personal in the playoffs (last season). He was really intrigued by what he brings to the table."

Evans signed a free-agent contract with the Wolves as an undrafted rookie out of Texas. He played in 10 games as a rookie during the 2001-02 season. But Minnesota released him just before the start of the 2002-03 season.

He played with Olympicos in Greece and then Benetton Treviso in Italy. He returned to the NBA last season.

Evans, 26, averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 19 minutes a game with the Kings. He played in 65 games and started 11 times. He shot 44.2 percent.

"Mo is a defensive-minded player," Montgomery said. "He can shoot the jump shot, which was a knock on his game in the past. Now he shoots it with consistency."

The Wolves face competition for Evans, who also is attracting interest from Seattle and San Antonio.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...maurice_evans/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

let them have him he really is not that good anyway and really would not be a good fit here. i found out today by talking with dbrown(we have been close friends since we were 12) that the spurs and the bobcats had a sign and trade deal worked out that would give him 3yrs 11million and the spurs would recieve melvin ely in return. the spurs then backed out of the deal on sunday night. he really wants to stay here but understands he wont recieve the playing time he deserves. so the bobcats are his team of choice with the jazz right behind them. i would love for him to go to the bobcats and play 30 min a game and average 17 for them then come back here in 3yrs when bruce and barry are done. the jazz would be a good fit b/c they need a 2guard who can do other things for them like play defense and score and rebound. just wanted to give an update, sorry i did it here i dont know how to post my own thread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 08:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

interesting ....

thanks for the insight. melvin ely?
Old 08-01-05, 08:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wolves should be interested in him. They need talent badly, though at a higher level than Evans currently is at.
Old 08-02-05, 12:55 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohntke
let them have him he really is not that good anyway and really would not be a good fit here. i found out today by talking with dbrown(we have been close friends since we were 12) that the spurs and the bobcats had a sign and trade deal worked out that would give him 3yrs 11million and the spurs would recieve melvin ely in return. the spurs then backed out of the deal on sunday night. he really wants to stay here but understands he wont recieve the playing time he deserves. so the bobcats are his team of choice with the jazz right behind them. i would love for him to go to the bobcats and play 30 min a game and average 17 for them then come back here in 3yrs when bruce and barry are done. the jazz would be a good fit b/c they need a 2guard who can do other things for them like play defense and score and rebound. just wanted to give an update, sorry i did it here i dont know how to post my own thread.
thanks for the update.
I'll edit the thread title accordingly.

If the spurs pulled out of the deal Sunday night then could something else be up?

Ely is a 6-10 forward with expiring contract so I may have gone for that deal. Maybe someone else called with something better? Hmmmm.....
Old 08-02-05, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That's a really nice deal for Dbrown i'm happy for him, hopefully everything works out and he gets paid what he's worth and gets a shot at being a star.

amente, that's what i'm thinking the spurs must have received some news that changed their mind. could it be a better deal from utah?
Old 08-02-05, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
That's a really nice deal for Dbrown i'm happy for him, hopefully everything works out and he gets paid what he's worth and gets a shot at being a star.

amente, that's what i'm thinking the spurs must have received some news that changed their mind. could it be a better deal from utah?
I am going to see what I can find about concerning Brown tomorrow.

This week in the NBA should be interesting.
Old 08-02-05, 01:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lowest Bid?

Compare Devin Brown to Maurice Evans
Per Game (Regular Season)
Name Year G MP FG FGA TP TPA FT FTA ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Devin Brown 2005 67 18.48 2.58 6.10 0.67 1.81 1.54 1.94 0.55 2.07 2.63 1.37 0.58 0.18 0.79 1.24 7.37
Maurice Evans 2005 65 18.97 2.54 5.74 0.42 1.26 0.91 1.20 1.35 1.74 3.09 0.69 0.57 0.12 0.52 1.60 6.40
Difference 2 -0.49 0.04 0.36 0.25 0.55 0.63 0.74 -0.80 0.33 -0.46 0.68 0.01 0.06 0.27 -0.36 0.97
Old 08-02-05, 01:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Come back to us Devin
Old 08-02-05, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

wow cant wait for te updates on dbrown. i want him to stay, but i know hes too good to not play mins. never thoguht about the let him play somewhere for 3 years and come back when bruce and barry are gone.. brilliant!! hahaha, if he leaves i hope thats what happens
Old 08-02-05, 03:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Remember a couple of weeks back when I talked about a S&T deal with Devin Brown, and no one seemed to take me seriously.

I am confused by this one, though. Couldn't Charlotte just sign Devin for that much if the Spurs don't intend to match?

Devin was on the news today saying that he was going to take his time, but he seemed sort of melancholy about the thought of leaving a place he is comfortable to go somewhere new. Any S&T would have to meet HIS approval.
Old 08-02-05, 05:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Remember a couple of weeks back when I talked about a S&T deal with Devin Brown, and no one seemed to take me seriously.

I am confused by this one, though. Couldn't Charlotte just sign Devin for that much if the Spurs don't intend to match?

Devin was on the news today saying that he was going to take his time, but he seemed sort of melancholy about the thought of leaving a place he is comfortable to go somewhere new. Any S&T would have to meet HIS approval.
Exactly, why would the Spurs take Ely when the Bobcats can just sign him after talking with the Spurs about not matching it.
Old 08-02-05, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!
Old 08-02-05, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
innesota Likes Maurice Evans
1st August, 2005 - 2:29 pm
Pioneer Press - Roger Montgomery, the agent of Maurice Evans told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that his client

"Coach Casey really likes Maurice," Montgomery said Sunday. "He got to see Mo up close and personal in the playoffs (last season). He was really intrigued by what he brings to the table."

Evans signed a free-agent contract with the Wolves as an undrafted rookie out of Texas. He played in 10 games as a rookie during the 2001-02 season. But Minnesota released him just before the start of the 2002-03 season.

He played with Olympicos in Greece and then Benetton Treviso in Italy. He returned to the NBA last season.

Evans, 26, averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 19 minutes a game with the Kings. He played in 65 games and started 11 times. He shot 44.2 percent.

"Mo is a defensive-minded player," Montgomery said. "He can shoot the jump shot, which was a knock on his game in the past. Now he shoots it with consistency."

The Wolves face competition for Evans, who also is attracting interest from Seattle and San Antonio.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...maurice_evans/

Whats the Devin Brown update?
Old 08-02-05, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

nevermind

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me

Last edited by Dave McNulla; 08-02-05 at 09:51 AM. Reason: duplicate message
Old 08-02-05, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
great info johnjohntke. keep us posted on our homeboy.
Old 08-02-05, 10:09 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
Exactly, why would the Spurs take Ely when the Bobcats can just sign him after talking with the Spurs about not matching it.
Depends.
How much cap space do they have? Remember that the Bobcats cap sapce limit is less than the $49 mil for all the other teams per their expansion agreement.
It also appears that the Bobcats are trying to save cap space either for next year or 2007 so maybe they are not willing to add to their payroll by adding Brown and would rather swap out Ely for Brown.

Strange deals are made all the time.
Old 08-02-05, 10:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Whats the Devin Brown update?
The post from JohnJohntke
Old 08-02-05, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It just struck me as funny because they have only 5 or 6 guys under contract. Most of them are like Ely, though.
Old 08-02-05, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

NOOOO!!!! This sucks. I want DBROWN back!
Old 08-02-05, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like Devin too, but the Spurs went 16-7 in the playoffs without him ( other words won the title) and have other needs- small foward..

On the other hand why would they want Ely a second rate power foward. They have a fair number of bigs now with Oberto and hopes of Scola next year. Is it a curteous move just so Devin can get a better contract? It's not a salry cap move because Devin is a free agent unrestricted.
Old 08-02-05, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

he will Wait and see. We must understand Devin who want more playing time. The deal isn't bad and,in 3 years,he will be back,hopefully.
Old 08-02-05, 12:40 PM
Abominable snowballer

very interesting. but hard to belive that a team like the bobcats offer devin 3yrs/11 mil and are willing to trade a big with some potential and expiering contract (and bird rights) for a guard like devin. (not that i don't wish that devin could get a contract like that). and the spurs backed out ????
i could belive this, if some traide baits were included (picks, scolas rights?).
and this would only make sense, if the spurs have another trade worked out (nazr?), one that brings a SF.

but if it happened like described, the backing out could also mean, that the other (more important) trade didn't work. (why should the spurs trade for another back-up big, if there wasn't a trade of either rasho or nazr in negotiations)
Old 08-02-05, 12:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin just
he will Wait and see. We must understand Devin who want more playing time. The deal isn't bad and,in 3 years,he will be back,hopefully.
I can understand it from Devin's point of view- but from the the Spurs view? Why do this, why take on Ely even for a year? It doesn't make a lot of sense unless they think Ely has some potetnial.
Old 08-02-05, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know why the spurs would want Ely, he's due to make 2.4 million next season and that's alot to pay a guy to sit on the inactive list and it also would put us over the luxary tax and we still wouldn't have a back up SF. I know he's an expiring contract but why would you S&T someone for an expiring contract? The spurs would save more money by just letting Devin go, although it would make sense if there was a deal for rasho/nazr.
Old 08-02-05, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Wait and see. We must understand Devin, who want more playing time.The deal isn't bad and, in 3 years, Devin will be back,hopefully.
Old 08-02-05, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

The only thing I could get confirmed was that the Spurs are attempting to work out some sort of sign-n-trade for Devin. I was given no details but it appear that the chances of Devin returning to the team are not good at the present.

But I shouldn't need to remind everyone that during this time of the off-season circumstances can change almost daily. These next two weeks should be interesting.
Old 08-02-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
The only thing I could get confirmed was that the Spurs are attempting to work out some sort of sign-n-trade for Devin. I was given no details but it appear that the chances of Devin returning to the team are not good at the present.

But I shouldn't need to remind everyone that during this time of the off-season circumstances can change almost daily. These next two weeks should be interesting.
The Spurs can probably help Devin to get a much better deal by S&T so they are looking at teams that want him and seeing what they can get in value in return. The Spurs are NOT going to pay Devin that kind of money.
Old 08-02-05, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
so that means he is or is not staying here
Old 08-02-05, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
he really wants to stay here but understands he wont recieve the playing time he deserves.
Just for the record, this is the sentence that turned me off. You can say he won't receive the playing time he desires- but I don't see where he can say he deserves playing time.
Old 08-02-05, 09:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Odds are--no.
good, i want to see him flourish and its not gonna happen here
Old 08-06-05, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It looks like the Twolves have chosen Wilkins, now Mo Evans to the spurs seems more likely.

Quote:
Seattle Times - Damien Wilkins, a Sonics restricted free agent, is expected to sign a five-year, $15 million deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves , NBA sources say.

The Sonics, who were hoping to retain the 25-year-old forward, have the option to match the Timberwolves' offer but are unlikely to do so because of the amount of money in the deal.

Wilkins, who averaged 6.3 points in 29 games during his rookie campaign last season and performed admirably in the playoffs in place of injured regulars Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic, had also been considering an offer from Portland.

LINK
Old 08-06-05, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
It looks like the Twolves have chosen Wilkins, now Mo Evans to the spurs seems more likely.

LINK
I would like to see Evans as a Brown's replacement if he leaves the Spurs, but I'm afraid that the FO is looking for minimum guys and Evans will get more than the minimum. Also remember that the Kings can match. He is a downgrade from Brown and an inch shorter than him, but he would play just 10-15 minutes anyway. I don't think he has long-term SF potential, he really is more a SG backup normally, but I do think he is not that much worse than someone like Raja Bell.
Old 08-06-05, 06:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
Also remember that the Kings can match. He is a downgrade from Brown and an inch shorter than him,
Mo Evans is 6'3?
Old 08-06-05, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Mo Evans is 6'3?
My bad. I thought Devin was 6'6, but both Devin and Evans are listed as 6'5.
Old 08-06-05, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I liked how Damien Wilkins played in the playoffs. Still, 5year-$15mil is a lot of cash for a guy like him. I just wonder what this does for the asking prices of Devin or Evans.
Old 08-06-05, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

5yrs for 15 is a bargain for Wilkins. He is at least a high energy contributor off the bench, and does have the potential to be better than that. I was very impressed with him in the playoffs.

As for Devin and Evans, the two guys are similarly listed at 6'5" 220. My impression is that Evans has slightly better hops, while Devin is stronger and can defend bigger guys better. Evans is a little more wild, Devin is more controlled. Pretty much a wash, which means there's no reason to go for Evans if Devin can be retained for the same price. Neither guy is in a good bargaining position since they are both restricted free agents.

Devin's best bet might be to take the qualifying offer from the Spurs, beat out Brent for 6th man, qualm suspicions about his back, and get bigger bucks as an unrestricted free agent next season.
Old 08-06-05, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Devin's best bet might be to take the qualifying offer from the Spurs, beat out Brent for 6th man, qualm suspicions about his back, and get bigger bucks as an unrestricted free agent next season.
I agree. Does the Spurs FO want to get rid of him because they think his back will not be ok?