SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-05, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

The rest of the rumored trade involving Heat & Griz

Jones Done In Miami?
1st August, 2005 - 7:11 am
Miami Herald - Not satisfied with the makeup of a team that was one game from the NBA Finals, Heat president Pat Riley is considering making significant moves that could include trading swingman Eddie Jones and acquiring Memphis point guard Jason Williams, according to several NBA sources.

Among the moves being considered is a trade that would send Jones to Memphis and bring Williams and small forward James Posey to Miami.

Williams played three years with the Sacramento Kings and four with the Grizzlies, earning a reputation as a talented but troubled player. The Grizzlies have been trying to move him all offseason. However, Williams is among the best passers in the league, can run both a fast break and halfcourt offense and is a three-point threat.

Posey is a quality defender with a versatile offensive game, but he spent much of last season battling nagging foot injuries that limited him to 50 games.

Jones was the Heat's third-leading scorer last season and best perimeter defender, proving his worth during last year's run to the Eastern Conference finals. But trade rumors have surrounded the 11-year veteran since his first year in Miami. [

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._done_in_miami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

why do they need a 3rd team when posey and williams to miami for jones works under the cba?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-05, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

memphis paper had J. Williams going to Heat in a 3-way deal but this realgm story appears that it's Posey/Williams straight up for Jones.
Old 08-01-05, 02:57 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Unless Jones' heinous contract is expiring, the deal looks terrible from the Memphis end.

They give up very significant talent for an overpriced guy whose skills have been diminsihing for years.

I know the Grizz would like to dump Williams, but most of Jones' shooting stats are influenced by the double-teams that Snaq draws.
Old 08-01-05, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

the memphis paper also mentioned this:

Quote:
A Grizzly insider also confirmed that the team has stepped up its intent to do more than tweak the roster. The consensus after recent internal discussions is that the Grizzlies' roster of the past two seasons went as far as it could in the Western Conference standings.
www.commercialappeal.com
Old 08-01-05, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Great trade for the Heat. Cant imagine why the Grizz would do it, unless - as someone mentioned - Jones' contract is expiring. I still dont think this deal puts the Heat over the hump. Williams has always been trouble and Posey didnt return from his injury well.
Old 08-01-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1
Unless Jones' heinous contract is expiring, the deal looks terrible from the Memphis end.
Jones has 2 years left, Posey has 2 yrs left, Williams has 3. Financially, the deal saves Memphis from having to pay $9 mil to Williams in 07-08.
Old 08-01-05, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Not that great a deal for the Griz team salary wise. Posey has a player option after next season and they could have traded J. Williams to someone willing to take a chance on a high energy PG for an equivalent salary. By orchestrating this trade the Griz will acquire a high two year salary of E. Jones about 30mil for two years therefore keeping them over the tax threshold without getting much better with the addition.
Old 08-01-05, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I like it more for the Posey pick-up than the JWill pick-up. I'm not sure JWill can take the pressure of a conference finals or NBA Finals. How will Shaq or Wade respond when he throws a behind-the-back pass out of bounds when they are down by two with 10 seconds left in a game 7?
Old 08-01-05, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Only reason I think Memphis might make a deal like this is if they were planning an amnesty for Eddie Jones.

But losing Posey, who by himself is already at Jone's level??? Why not just do the amnesty on JWill if they want him out so bad?
Old 08-01-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
Not that great a deal for the Griz team salary wise. Posey has a player option after next season ...
If I were Posey I would just take the $6.9 and not opt out.
Old 08-01-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Only reason I think Memphis might make a deal like this is if they were planning an amnesty for Eddie Jones.

But losing Posey, who by himself is already at Jone's level??? Why not just do the amnesty on JWill if they want him out so bad?
Amnesty only affects luxury tax payments. It doesn't create any roster flexibility or salary cap room.
Old 08-01-05, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley

being about $3 mil over the threshold isn't so bad.
I doubt they would have gone the amnesty route, not many teams will.
Old 08-01-05, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFly
I like it more for the Posey pick-up than the JWill pick-up. I'm not sure JWill can take the pressure of a conference finals or NBA Finals. How will Shaq or Wade respond when he throws a behind-the-back pass out of bounds when they are down by two with 10 seconds left in a game 7?
remember how shaq responded to damon jones' TOs in game 7?
Old 08-01-05, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Remember also that the Memphis paper had this being some type of 3-way deal so maybe
the Griz get more out of this than is noted here.
Old 08-01-05, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
If I were Posey I would just take the $6.9 and not opt out.
If he has a productive season there is a chance he could make more with the way the market is these days. With that said you never know what players and agents will do.
Old 08-01-05, 04:15 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

wow...Miami would get a boost..but this deal would show that Memphis have started to go in a different direction.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 08-01-05, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

so this would now make wade expendable for the heat, w/ j.wills running the point.!

haha. haha.

yeeeha.
Old 08-01-05, 05:06 PM
Abominable snowballer

i think they look for a third team b/c memphis would never do a deal jones for jwill+posey. that would be the worst trade of the offseason. and even without wells the grizzlies are not in a desperate need for a swingman. but i don't see a team that could need jones (and his contract). roumors said that the celtics could be involved, but they would also be interested in acquiring j-will. heat are said to be also interested in watson. so maybe there is a chance to do a complicated three team sign and trade. whatever, i still don't have any idea who wants to take a 34 years old jones and pay him 30 M for the next two years.
Old 08-01-05, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If Miami is able to unload Eddie Jones bloated contract and get something like Posey and J-Will out of the deal....it should be considered a steal. Jerry West should have his head examined if he pulled this deal.
Old 08-02-05, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i agree this trade is very favorable to the heat. but some loopsided trades can be justified by team chemistry. maybe jerry west wants jones to be some kind of veteran leader for his team. if ever this trade happens it will be a exclamation mark that the west no longer is the stronger conference. the east will have 3 legit title contenders Pacers, Heat & Pistons.
Old 08-02-05, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I've thought all along that the conference power shifting started when Rasheed Wallace went east. Then Shaq made it the dominant conference at the start of last year.

But the West still has the best team. Sort of like USC in college football. They just roll along and then beat the best teams from the best conferences in the bowl games.
Old 08-02-05, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i have a question, what do you guys think of jason williams? what can he contribute to the heat if ever this deal will go through?
Old 08-02-05, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Jason Williams can´t play a lick of defense, he shoots hot and cold, he´s a pretty good distributor of the ball, and he whines under pressure.
Old 08-02-05, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickowskay
Jason Williams can´t play a lick of defense, he shoots hot and cold, he´s a pretty good distributor of the ball, and he whines under pressure.
Don't forget his tendency to dribble straight down the court and launch one from 5 feet behind the arc with 21 secs on the shot clock
Old 08-02-05, 11:11 AM
Abominable snowballer

but he could feed shaq better than d. jones or wade did.
if you have two high scoring options like shaq and wade, a great passer like j-will should be a very good fit. (and i see him third behind kidd and nash in this category). put him at the heat and he will average 10 assist/game.

and it would be good for us. if we meet the heat in the finals, tony will totally own j-will again. i would guess that j-will is tony's favourite opponent.