Old 07-29-05, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Star guard asks Phoenix to let him go

Stein
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

TORONTO -- Restricted free agent Joe Johnson, who next week plans to sign a lucrative offer sheet from the Atlanta Hawks, told ESPN.com on Friday night that he has asked the Phoenix Suns not to match the offer.

Joe Johnson
Guard-Forward
Phoenix Suns

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
82 17.1 5.1 3.5 .461 .750

In town for Steve Nash's charity game at Air Canada Centre, Johnson revealed that he directly informed Phoenix managing partner Robert Sarver earlier this week that he would prefer to continue his career as a Hawk.

"We had a discussion," Johnson said in his first extended interview about his future since free agency began July 1.

"I did tell them that."

Asked why he wants to leave the Suns after a breakthrough season, for himself and the team, Johnson said: "It's a lot of things. How things were handled [with Johnson's contract] last summer, how things have been handled this summer. There's been some things going on that aren't great."

Informed late Friday of Johnson's comments, Suns officials declined to respond.

Johnson hoped to sign a six-year, $50 million extension with Phoenix before last season, but the talks stalled with the sides about $5 million apart. At the time, Sarver was hesitant to make another splashy expenditure after committing to front the $400 million purchase of the franchise and then signing Nash and Quentin Richardson to long-term deals worth a combined $110 million.

The Suns offered Johnson a six-year deal in the $60 million range this summer, some $30 million less than he's eligible to receive from his current team. Hoping for significantly more after averaging 17.1 points and shooting 48 percent on 3-pointers to help Phoenix win a stunning 62 games and advance to the Western Conference finals, Johnson and agent Arn Tellem quickly entered into negotiations with the Hawks.

According to sources close to the situation, Johnson is also unhappy with what he perceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel" behind the All-Star trio of Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Marion. Besides the opportunity to be the star man on its youthful roster, Atlanta is offering as much as the rules allow without holding Johnson's Larry Bird rights -- a frontloaded five-year deal worth an estimated $70 million, with an up-front payment as high as $20 million in Year 1.

The Hawks have been planning for weeks to sign Johnson to an offer sheet as soon as the leaguewide moratorium on free-agent signings is lifted. That day, originally scheduled for July 22, is expected to come Tuesday.

The Suns, who would have seven days to match an offer sheet, have consistently said they intend to do just that, and NBA front-office sources reiterated Friday that Phoenix hasn't changed its stance.

Even Johnson, when asked to describe the Suns' reaction to his request to be set free, said: "They say they're going to match."

Phoenix chairman Jerry Colangelo and team president Bryan Colangelo delivered that message to Tellem in a July 9 meeting during a summer-league game in Las Vegas. To increase its matching flexibility, Phoenix agreed Wednesday to trade center Jake Voskuhl to Charlotte and thus remove nearly $2 million from next season's payroll.

It remains to be seen whether Johnson will indeed sign with the Hawks as soon the moratorium ends. If he is intent on going to Atlanta, he and Tellem could choose to hold off on signing the offer sheet in an attempt to draw an improved contract offer out of the Suns or to convince the Suns to engage Atlanta in sign-and-trade talks.

A sign-and-trade could ultimately appeal to the Suns as well, if they decide over the weekend that Johnson's let-me-go plea is more than a mere statement of frustration with negotiations. It's unlikely they would be willing to lose one of their prized assets without compensation, even if management changes course and determines that it's best to sever ties with a player who says he wants to leave.

Johnson, though, insists that his play and commitment to the Suns wouldn't be affected if a signed Hawks offer sheet results in a return to the desert.

"I would come back and work as hard as I ever have," Johnson said. "If they match, all this stuff is behind me from that minute on. I hope everybody [in Phoenix] puts everything behind them, too."

The prospect of Johnson switching teams made Friday's inaugural Steve Nash Foundation Charity Classic perhaps the last time Nash, Marion and Johnson will play together as teammates. Stoudemire was also scheduled to play but joined Philadelphia's Allen Iverson as a late withdrawal.

"I'm really trying not to think about that," Nash said. "No one wants us to keep Joe more than I do. I've been talking to him and trying to persuade him to stay, because we really have a special thing going in Phoenix, but I want whatever he feels is best for him."

Nash added that Johnson's new public stance doesn't change how much his teammates want him to stay, repeating his oft-cited belief that Johnson's shooting and ballhandling skills are as important to the Suns' success as Nash's chemistry with finishers Stoudemire and Marion.

Marion echoed that, saying: "I understand that this is a business and everybody's got to do [what's best] for their family, but we're hoping Joe don't need nothing more than a Suns jersey next year."

"They're in my ear every five minutes," Johnson said with a laugh, referring to persistent lobbying from Nash and Marion.

Some league executives have privately questioned whether the Suns would indeed match a max offer sheet to Johnson, given Sarver's stated aversion to letting his annual payroll stray far beyond $50 million. With Johnson earning an average annual wage of $12 million and Stoudemire soon to receive a maximum contract extension that would kick in starting with the 2006-07 season, Phoenix would be in the rare position of carrying four players who earn roughly $50 million by themselves.

If Johnson winds up with the Hawks, Nash plans to intensify his efforts to recruit Michael Finley of the Dallas Mavericks as a replacement. Unless the Mavericks can trade Finley first, in hopes of keeping Finley out of the Western Conference, they are expected to use the new amnesty clause to release the 32-year-old and spare themselves from nearly $52 million in luxury-tax payments.

The Hawks, dating to last summer, have had no success in their high-dollar attempts to land a prominent restricted free agent. Yet they remain quietly hopeful that they'll soon be able to play Johnson as a point guard should they finally score this time.

Johnson's playmaking ability is viewed by scouts as a critical component to the Suns' success. Phoenix doesn't have another dependable ballhandler to punish opponents who try to force the ball out of Nash's hands.

"I love the idea," Johnson said. "I'd love that, having the ball in my hands. I think I'm a great shooter, but that's where I think I'm most effective, making decisions."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-05, 11:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

According to sources close to the situation, Johnson is also unhappy with what he perceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-05, 11:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
According to sources close to the situation, Johnson is also unhappy with what he perceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel"
He feels that their front office gave him the shaft, and that is the bigger issure IMO. I mean, being the 4th option in PHX isn't all that bad, he still gets plenty of shots and nice feeds from Nash.
Old 07-30-05, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

JJohnson would rather be the best guy on a bad team than the fourth guy (really, the third guy against SA) on a team that can win 60 games again. So, does PHO want to flirt with lux tax by signing him, let him walk or try to salvage something by sending JJ for sign-n-trade for Al Harrington. Harrinton could do well in PHO. Not being a capologists, I under is a three-way would work:

Dal sends Fin to PHO for cap relief
Pho sends JJ to Atl
Atl send Harrington to Dal.

just an idea,
Old 07-30-05, 12:16 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
He feels that their front office gave him the shaft, and that is the bigger issure IMO. I mean, being the 4th option in PHX isn't all that bad, he still gets plenty of shots and nice feeds from Nash.
I think the 4th wheel actually means the team doesn't really need him with the big 3 locked in for long-term.
Old 07-30-05, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dear Joe Johnson,

Leaving a Phoenix for Atlanta only makes sense if you're willing to go there for less money than Phoenix, who wants you back, will be paying you.

Sincerely,
#3, 2003 World Champion shooting guard

PS: I want to play with Manu Ginobili for the rest of my career.
Old 07-30-05, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

If JJ goes to the Hawks, will it help them sign another player?

As for his asking them not to match, I'd say- buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Go play in the bowels of the NBA and see how much you like losing.
Old 07-30-05, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Hawks have got to try to trade Al for a young C or PG, they have way too many swingmen, it's going to cause problems.
Old 07-30-05, 12:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

There were also some rumors during the playoffs that Johnson felt that management was pressuring him to come back and play ASAP after his orbital fracture, and he did not appreciate that pressure.
Old 07-30-05, 12:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
The Hawks have got to try to trade Al for a young C or PG, they have way too many swingmen, it's going to cause problems.
They want Johnson to play PG.

Quote:
Yet they remain quietly hopeful that they'll soon be able to play Johnson as a point guard should they finally score this time.
Old 07-30-05, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
I know they do, but I don't see that working, and I don't think Woodson would care for it either. Of course, it's not the worst option at PG, compared to what they have got.

I think they need to trade Harrington and someone else (maybe a pick?) to the Hornets. Magloire wants out, and Speedy isn't a part of their long term plans, I think the Hawks should try to get those two.
Old 07-30-05, 01:16 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
They still have too many swingmen.

But then we are talking about Atlanta, so them doing stupid things, isn't uncommon. They should have drafted Paul to play the point rather than Williams. Oh well. It's Atlanta.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-30-05, 01:27 AM

It will be a shame if a talent like him ends up in Atlanta.

If I was the Suns Owner, I wouldn't match that offer. He isn't worth it.

Still, I was hoping he could end up in Phoenix. I like him there.
Old 07-30-05, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
It will be a shame if a talent like him ends up in Atlanta.

If I was the Suns Owner, I wouldn't match that offer. He isn't worth it.

Still, I was hoping he could end up in Phoenix. I like him there.
Phoenix is a contender with him. They loose a lot if he walks to Atlanta.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-30-05, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Phoenix is a contender with him. They loose a lot if he walks to Atlanta.
So what? I don't want to see that happen.

I could care less if that makes Phoenix stronger or not. I think it's the best fit for him as a player.

Unlike so many others, I don't base my opinions or whether or not a move by another team benifits the Spurs or hurts them. I could care less about that.

If we're good enough to win a championship - we'll win it. If we're not - we won't win it.

I think Phoenix has done a great job getting themselves back to elite status. Jerry Colangelo has been one of the classiest executives in NBA history and is a Hall of Famer.It's one of the great franchises in the NBA and I hope they remain a good team for years to come.

I think Johnson would help their cause, but not at $70 million. I'd like to see him stay, but not at such a price.

I'm not going to side with Atlanta because such a move would supposedly help the Spurs.
Old 07-30-05, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright
Pho sends JJ to Atl
Oddly.......I don't see anyone really winning when all is said and done.

Dallas get a little toughness and rebounding and luxury tax relief, (cap relief to if it happens with a sign & trade) but lose a franchise player for Harrington who isn't a top 10 player at the position.

Phoenix gets a Finley who is on the downside of his career, who doesn't help with their main need (defense), and lose a sparkplug off the bench that did play defense.

The Hawks get a nice pickup but in the end they will still be........the Hawks.

Last edited by To be named later; 07-30-05 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-30-05, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

although this move hurts Phoenix big in the short-term when it happens, letting him walk as opposed to signing him to a ridiculous contract is the right move. They can survive it by clearing some of the dead weight on their roster - Bo Outlaw, Waltah McCahhhhty, Paul Shirley - and signing as many scorers as possible. Their big problem is that the market is thinning, if they don't move fast they're gonna be left with the Dion Glovers of this world. Raja Bell would also have to play out of his mind for them to duplicate last season's success, but I think more having more possessions go to the Nash/Amare combo ultimately helps even things out

I don't care enough to go back and quote the actual message, but whoever said:
"Dal sends Fin to PHO for cap relief
Pho sends JJ to Atl
Atl send Harrington to Dal."

That is some CLEVER speculation there. nicely done!
Old 07-30-05, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I know they do, but I don't see that working, and I don't think Woodson would care for it either. Of course, it's not the worst option at PG, compared to what they have got.
Agreed. Johnson is an excellent ballhandler, but an average distributor. He can play PG at stretches, but he isn't a starting PG.

Quote:
I think they need to trade Harrington and someone else (maybe a pick?) to the Hornets. Magloire wants out, and Speedy isn't a part of their long term plans, I think the Hawks should try to get those two.
Very good idea. Only New Orleans will play hard-to-get since Magloire is a quality bigman. Harrington won't be enough. They'll need to package one of the Josh's in the deal as well. If they can get Speedy on top of it all, they will also solve their PG problem.
Old 07-30-05, 01:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Agreed. Johnson is an excellent ballhandler, but an average distributor. He can play PG at stretches, but he isn't a starting PG.
I don't really think that. From the stretches I watched where he's handling and Nash is off the ball, 99% of the time JJ will try to shake his defender with some crossover move and take a midrange J. I don't think he does much distributing at all, really, I thought Jim Jackson was that team's 2nd best playmaker

Quote:
Very good idea. Only New Orleans will play hard-to-get since Magloire is a quality bigman. Harrington won't be enough. They'll need to package one of the Josh's in the deal as well. If they can get Speedy on top of it all, they will also solve their PG problem.
it would absolutely have to be Childress, because Smith is the kind of freaky athlete you keep. Plus having Josh Smith and JR Smith on the same team, although the thought of it makes me drool as a fan, it just wouldn't work
Old 07-30-05, 02:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
I don't really think that. From the stretches I watched where he's handling and Nash is off the ball, 99% of the time JJ will try to shake his defender with some crossover move and take a midrange J. I don't think he does much distributing at all, really, I thought Jim Jackson was that team's 2nd best playmaker
That doesn't mean anything. When Nash is in the game, and JJ has the ball, JJ is still the shooting guard, so he's gonna shoot when he gets the ball. His midrange J after a shake-n-bake is awfully good.

Watch him when Nash is OUT of the game. Then you'll see he's not a great PG, but not a zero-distributor.

Quote:
it would absolutely have to be Childress, because Smith is the kind of freaky athlete you keep. Plus having Josh Smith and JR Smith on the same team, although the thought of it makes me drool as a fan, it just wouldn't work
They'll have a dunk competition in every practice and every game!
If it's Childress, New Orleans might not take the offer. I'd actually like to see Childress play some PG. He was a total utility player, a Pippen-type, while in Stanford, so maybe he has some PG skills.
Old 07-30-05, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Plus he's got a top 5 fro in the league.
Old 07-30-05, 02:28 AM

Quote:

I could care less if that makes Phoenix stronger or not. I think it's the best fit for him as a player.

Unlike so many others, I don't base my opinions or whether or not a move by another team benifits the Spurs or hurts them. I could care less about that.

If we're good enough to win a championship - we'll win it. If we're not - we won't win it.

I think Phoenix has done a great job getting themselves back to elite status. Jerry Colangelo has been one of the classiest executives in NBA history and is a Hall of Famer.It's one of the great franchises in the NBA and I hope they remain a good team for years to come.

I think Johnson would help their cause, but not at $70 million. I'd like to see him stay, but not at such a price.

I'm not going to side with Atlanta because such a move would supposedly help the Spurs.
I never mentioned how it effects the Spurs. I was just speaking from a Phoenix standpoint. Where you got it helps or hurts the Spurs chances, I have no idea......where you pulled that out of.

All i said, is if he stays they stay a contender, if he walks, they lose a great deal of what they did last season.

Colandgelo has done a decent a pretty decent job out there, since they got a new ownership to help take the burden of some of the costs.

Old 07-30-05, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
I never mentioned how it effects the Spurs. I was just speaking from a Phoenix standpoint. Where you got it helps or hurts the Spurs chances, I have no idea......where you pulled that out of.

All i said, is if he stays they stay a contender, if he walks, they lose a great deal of what they did last season.

Colandgelo has done a decent a pretty decent job out there, since they got a new ownership to help take the burden of some of the costs.
And I suppose if he walks, you wouldn't exactly care that it weakens Phoenix?

People are under the assumption that Phoenix may somehow stand in our way of winning a championship next season. And if they lose JJ, it will only benefit the Spurs chances.

I personally don't think there's another team in the Western Conference that can beat us in a 7 game series. Exuse me if I want to root for the Suns to remain relevant.

I don't care about that. I only want to see Joe end up in the best situation and I want to see the Suns continue to succeed.

I really don't care how it may relate to the Spurs or not.
Old 07-30-05, 03:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i agree i think phoenix is our biggest threat and if they were to lose johnson that would be an serious blow, however just because johnson asks phoenix not to match doens't mean the suns won't match, if i'm the suns i match anyway, I don't think johnson would be the type that would be a cancer in the locker room and if you resign him and he causes and uproar you can trade him to another team other than the hawks and get more in return, or demand say josh smith in a sign in trade or something to that effect.
Old 07-30-05, 03:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Perhap this is lost on Joe Johnson, but Phoenix got a lot better swapping Q for Kurt Thomas. That fact alone should be enough for him to shut up and stay.

I'm surprised at JJ. I thought he had some class and some brains. Why would he possibly go to the ATL for less cash?

Oh, the big equalizer.....Ego.

If he wants to win, he'll stay in Phoenix.

If he leaves it'll go down as one of the great bonehead decisions in the last several years. Besides, Phoenix will bring in Finley and still win 58 games this year. And here's what JJ doesn't get - the Suns are one more Tim Duncan twisted ankle away from the Finals.

The entire league would have to twist their ankles for the Hawks to get there anytime during Johnson's proposed 6-year contract.

This guy is an overrated player. Period. If he leaves, it's his loss. Too bad for Steve Nash.
Old 07-30-05, 03:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

People are under the assumption that Phoenix may somehow stand in our way of winning a championship next season. And if they lose JJ, it will only benefit the Spurs chances.

I personally don't think there's another team in the Western Conference that can beat us in a 7 game series. Exuse me if I want to root for the Suns to remain relevant.
Wow, haven't seen in a long time.

Well, that means you don't care if it weakens Phoenix because you don't think Phoenix poses a real threat, with or without Johnson. That's a little bit different in spirit from "I don't base my opinions or whether or not a move by another team benifits the Spurs or hurts them."

What if Phoenix does pose a real threat? Would you care then?
Old 07-30-05, 03:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
Atlanta is offering as much as the rules allow without holding Johnson's Larry Bird rights -- a frontloaded five-year deal worth an estimated $70 million, with an up-front payment as high as $20 million in Year 1.
how can this be possible? isn't it against the CBA rule?
please explain to me.
Old 07-30-05, 05:38 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
they don't only have to many swingmen, they only have swingmen. they should rename to atlanta swing. maybe they think that it looks nice, if there are five players at exactly 6-7 out there. same with the dancers. they also take care, that there are not to significant differences in their hight.
Old 07-30-05, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I don't care about that. I only want to see Joe end up in the best situation and I want to see the Suns continue to succeed.

I really don't care how it may relate to the Spurs or not.
I'd care because I like Spurs to have tough opponents. But I'm not cheering for it to happen. As a basketball fan, I like good basketball.

Anything is possible in the post season. I think it's been proven by now. Spurs should be the favorites and have a great chance at winning it, but nothing is handed to them. Or else, we might as well declare them the 2006 champions already. That's why they play the games.

I don't see how Atlanta is close to his best situation. It's not like he would get chump change to stay with Phoenix. I can understand if he was trying to get to another team that is somewhat decent, but Atlanta is just crap. Even though he can play the point, he's not a pure point. Manu can play the point too, does that mean we stick him there all the time? No. Atlanta is full of wholes, except for that swingman position.

Yeah, best decision for him, right? In like 2 years or so, he'll be wanting to get traded.......Now if you think money is the only factor makes it his best situation, it's not with the Hawks, but then you already knew, that.....because you are richb.

Old 07-30-05, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I think it's the best fit for him as a player.
Yes but Johnson DOES NOT. The Suns shouldnt waste their money on somoene who doesnt WANT to be there. That and he isnt worth that much money. Let him go to Atlanta. Pho has other players they will have to keep like Amare.

Where is THE LOGO? I said the other day Johnson wanted to LEAVE Pho and go to Atlanta and that was called a crazy notion
Old 07-30-05, 09:00 AM

Whatever, I just don't see the Sun's letting JJ walk and not get anything in return. This is like what happened to the Mavs last year, they let Nash walk and got nothing in return. The fact is that JJ is the fourth wheel on that team period. He may be able to move up to 3, but now that Marion is free to go back to SF Marion will still be the 3rd best player on that team, as he is a better rebounder and defender, IMO, than JJ is. With Nash locked up, Amare is the one guy they can't afford to lose. They can lose JJ and still be competitive, but not getting someone with similiar talent will hurt them. I just don't see Colangelo letting him walk and not get something in return. My guess is that they match and then look to move him if he is truly unhappy.
Old 07-30-05, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
According to sources close to the situation, Johnson is also unhappy with what he perceives as his standing as a "fourth wheel" behind the All-Star trio of Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Marion.
Oh, so it's an ego thing.

Guess what Joe you are the 4th wheel on the team. Get over it!
Old 07-30-05, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Staff Writer

When all is said and done Phoenix can not win now. They let him go they lose a lot. They keep him they have at least an unhappy player with his situation,regardless of what he said, and at the worse a malcontent that is a cancer on the team.
Old 07-30-05, 09:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's hard to belive that he asked the Suns to let him go for nothing in return. He should accept their default one year offer and go anywhere he wants the next year as unrestricted free agent.
Old 07-30-05, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Let him walk. Plan for the long term, don't cripple yourself with a overpaid contract.
Old 07-30-05, 11:15 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:

Get off your high horse already .....can't go a day without reading you telling other posters...how you think "differently" than other Spur fans...who cares man.

I'm Batman's cousin

Last edited by Flipmode Master; 07-30-05 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-30-05, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I agree with Jason R. The Nets were boo'ed for not going MAX with KMart, but they've reloaded with equal or better talent at much more reasonable prices.

Joe is a fine young player, but his skills are replaceable. This may set Phx back for a year or so (maybe not even that long), but it isn't as if they are losing their franchise player.
Old 07-30-05, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Is this guy insane? You would rather be making $70 mil for a really bad team than making the same amount for a team that could challenge for a championship?!!! Let's see how many shots he can create for himself without Steve Nash's or Amare's help. I don't understand some peoples' egos.

Old 07-30-05, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Let him walk. Plan for the long term, don't cripple yourself with a overpaid contract.
Joe Johnson would have been overpaid. But this puts the Suns in a tough spot after D'Antoni and the Suns brass claimed that "the future is now" and that they will make the moves to "get over the mountain that is San Antonio." Johnson was supposedly their best perimeter defender. Now who do they have? Kurt Thomas? Raja Bell? I will take my chances against them next year.
Old 07-30-05, 11:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright
Pho sends JJ to Atl

just an idea,
Exactly how does Finley provide cap relief to PHX? He has 51 Mil over 3 years on his contract left.

This decision is not Johnson's to make. I think Phoenix will match and if Johnson doesn't want to be there, then they will ship him out in a year...but, they will not let him walk for nothing.
Old 07-30-05, 11:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Rulez
Exactly how does Finley provide cap relief to PHX? He has 51 Mil over 3 years on his contract left.
Go back and read it again. It's cap relief for Dallas.
Old 07-30-05, 12:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

RichB, you were really reaching with this one.
Old 07-30-05, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

ah yes the beggining of the end for the Suns!!!!! Thank you Atlanta!!!

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 07-30-05, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

suns said they will match so i don't know why everyone is making a deal about this
Old 07-30-05, 01:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame05
suns said they will match so i don't know why everyone is making a deal about this
Because Johnson doesn't want them to match ... allegedly. That makes things much more interesting.
Old 07-30-05, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i guess JJ already forgot about the good times with his teammates singing motown in the back of the bus.
Old 07-30-05, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Joe Johnson = Derek Anderson. 5 years @ 70 million for that type of player is a backbreaker for Phoenix that will likely seal their fate for the foreseeable future.

Fortunately, the Spurs made the right choice with DA (with the help of some heaven-sent circumstances which seemed like impediments at the time). Otherwise, we would be having a much different discussion about our own team now.

So what will it be, Phoenix?
Old 07-30-05, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Some Spurs fans would be happy if Joe Johnson leaves Phoenix, but what if Bell and Thomas turn out to be not so good replacements, the Suns get less than 55 wins, get a first round exit and Amare therefore decides to team up with Kobe, Odom, Phil Jackson? That would be a nightmare for the rest of the league. I fully expect the Suns to match Johnson and be better than last year.
Old 07-30-05, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Isn't having an even number of wheels a good thing?
Old 07-30-05, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote: