News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-05, 06:50 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Larry Brown: Don't tick off a Billionaire

The soap opera that played out this past week in suburban Detroit proved one thing to NBA coaches, whether they be cut from Hall-of-Fame or journeyman cloth.

The last thing you want to do is tick off a billionaire.

Larry Brown discovered as much when Pistons owner Bill Davidson decided he wanted to fire the man who'd coached Detroit to back-to-back NBA Finals and one championship.

Davidson admitted at a press conference to announce the hiring of Flip Saunders that he was irked when Brown's name surfaced in rumors surrounding a front-office position with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Davidson, you will recall, had no problem dismissing the successful Rick Carlisle before hiring Brown three years ago, because of apparent differences of opinion.

Davidson said he relates better to Saunders than he did to Brown or Carlisle.

"Coming from Cleveland, being a Big Ten man -- I'm a University of Michigan man, he's University of Minnesota -- I just relate much, much differently to Flip than I do the other two coaches," Davidson told The Detroit News. "From the beginning, you can start with low maintenance, can start with not having an ego, or he's going to overwhelm everybody. Flip's going to work the way I'd work, as I see it."

Davidson said he had no difficulty firing Brown or Carlisle.

"You have to make the right decision," he said. "In each case, if we'd gone another year, it would have been a disaster."

Davidson went on to relate his unhappiness about the rumors of Brown's possible departure during the Pistons' playoff run.

"I don't have anger any more, but I was very peeved with that development," Davidson said. "And that did not come from us, no matter what they say and no matter how they try to cover it. It came from Larry and his agent."

Davidson had also told a Detroit television station that, "You've got to understand, whoever coaches the Pistons represents me. And I'm not going to give them somebody that's not a good person."

Davidson's comments drew the ire of Brown's agent, Joe Glass, who vented to the Detroit Free Press.

"I challenge anybody to challenge Larry Brown's reputation as a person," Glass said. "I don't know if Larry saw that or not, but I hope he didn't. I challenge Bill Davidson to tell me why Larry Brown isn't a good person. He has never short-circuited any professional franchise or college he has worked for."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...2720309240.xml
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-05, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

"I challenge anybody to challenge Larry Brown's reputation as a person," Glass said. "I don't know if Larry saw that or not, but I hope he didn't. I challenge Bill Davidson to tell me why Larry Brown isn't a good person. He has never short-circuited any professional franchise or college he has worked for."

YOU ARE FULL OF IT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-05, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

If talking to Cleveland was such a horrible thing, then why did the Detroit organization give their permission???
Old 07-24-05, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I disagree. If you work for a billionaire on a guaranteed contract that he has to pay out, and you've got another team that you've always wanted to coach willing to offer you more than $10 million per season, you do everything humanly possible behind the scenes to tick off that billionaire.

Name for me another coach in history who has pocketed $50 million in salary in a three-year span like Larry Brown is about to. I thought so.
Old 07-24-05, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks

YOU ARE FULL OF IT
I totally agree, with Larry's track record, he has absolutely no credibility in my book. Let's not forget this guys past. And let's not blind ourselves to what he is doing. From the reports that I'm reading nowhere does LB even mention his health as a factor to whether he takes the Knicks job or not. He mentions his family, his relationship to Isaiah, and his desire to coach. The guy should really take a year off and get his body back in gear, but who knows what's going on in Larry's head. He pulled the same drama when he was here in SA. He said he got fired and Red said he quit.

Let me make an amendment here, I am not implying that Brown is not a good person, and I don't think that is what Davidson is saying, or else he wouldn't have hired him in the first place, I think he is talking about Saunders being a good person. I think Brown's agent is trying to change the subject , Brown's agent is taking that statement totally out of context.

Last edited by pjjrfan; 07-24-05 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bill Davidson owns one of my biggest customers. I can tell you that he is his own man, and is not hesitant to fire anyone if he senses that individual doesn't share Davison's priorities. I do not mean to say Davidson is a my-way-or-the-highway type, because he truly is not. But once he makes a commitment, he expects his employees to be completely devoted to that commitment because he commits himself utterly as well. If he senses one of his employees doesn't match his level of commitment, or begins to fall back in level of commitment, he'll drop that employee like a bad habit because he doesn't want that individual to begin to taint the rest of the company.

So, I am prone to believe that Davidson honestly felt LB was going to create problems, and he dropped him to prevent such a thing from occurring.

Davidson has been tremendously successful for decades running his companies exactly like this. So, I've gotta side with Davidson on this one.

Just a shame LB couldn't have done a more discretionary job in considering other positions that what he did. He should have at least waited until after the season as over.

As for the Pistons org giving LB permission to talk to other orgs, I can see Davidson doing that almost as a test of commitment level. In other words, Davidson is realistic enough to know he can't make someone hold a loyalty, so disallowing someone from talking to another team is pointless, whereas knowing whether that someone wants to talk to another team is not pointless. So by allowing LB to talk to NY or CLE, he was giving LB an opportunity to tell the Pistons and Davidson, "thanks, but I don't want to talk to anyone else," and since LB couldn't give that response, Davidson immediately knew what he was dealing with in LB's commitment level relative to Davidson's desired commitment level. Some may call that playng a game or something, but that doesn't matter, because again Davidson has been tremendously successful for decades doing what he does the way he does.

Bottom line: LB pissed in the wind, and got wet doing so . . . you don't tug on Superman's cape, LB.

Last edited by MarineForLife; 07-24-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-24-05, 01:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

[quote=Bottom line: LB pissed in the wind, and got wet doing so . . . you don't tug on Superman's cape, LB.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree- Larry Brown I'm sure has made millions here on the severance deal which he would not have received if he had simply been released from his Detroit contract to go to New York. And he hasn't had the decency to even wait a week to start his new negotiations. I like the fact that he's already telling the Knicks he doesn't want to move again- i.e., pony up for a long term contract, Mr. Thomas- forget that I was on my last legs a few days ago! I like LB and he speaks with impressive self effacing sincerity but the talk certainly is at variance with his many walks.
Old 07-24-05, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Forget Larry Brown he didn't do **** for us.........
Old 07-24-05, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHome
Forget Larry Brown he didn't do **** for us.........
In his defense, neither did our FO. But he does sound like Snagglepus, so there's that.
Old 07-24-05, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineForLife
As for the Pistons org giving LB permission to talk to other orgs, I can see Davidson doing that almost as a test of commitment level.
Very interesting ...
Old 07-24-05, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Larry Brown is the most disloyal coach in League history.

And he's got a lot of dough to show for it.

Whatever. If that's where his priorities are, fine. Who cares. Let him go to New York and lose 50 games.

Why Pop sees this jake as his idol, I have no clue. Larry Brown disgusts me.
Old 07-24-05, 04:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyzte
If talking to Cleveland was such a horrible thing, then why did the Detroit organization give their permission???
If my memory serves me well, the Pistions FO had to come out and say they gave him permission after the whole scandal leaked to the media. It was supposed to be a secret negotiation, and Im not even sure the Pistons knew up until news started to leak out. Ofcourse, at that point, right in the middle of the playoffs, you try to bear with it, and help all you can not to disrupt, so Im not surprised the FO came out saying 'This is fine, we have no problems with it'.
It just makes sense, as much as firing him once the playoffs were over.