News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-05, 11:58 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Who was in Ingram Mall for Robert Horry /George Gervin signing

Hello All,

I'm new here so please pardon me if this isn't the right forum for this.

I was curious to know who , among the members, were at the signing early this week.
Also, how was thier experience?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-05, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

that's a good two-fer sounds cool

... i remember when Ingram Park first opened (i'm old ...) the Sears used to be the only store opened (the Sears had a restaurant as well) ... i think the first two stores closest to Sears on the lower level were open as well ... i remember going to Windsor Park when that first opened and my mom told me that if i "got lost in a place this big we'll never find you"

and they never did we got separated and i would up living in a tunnel under the Chick Fil'A
Old 07-22-05, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

562bulldog: thank you for the response and insight. I see that you are in Los Angeles. I'm from Los Angeles and a huge Lakers fan, moved to SA in 97.

I looked into the Spurs Team and was surprised with thier humility and hard work ethic. I have also met George Gervin several times and he is truly a great person. He never has problems signing for autographs and always takes time to listen to his fans. How often can you actually have conversations with Legends?

When I was in the mall for the signing, I noticed differences in attitude between Horry and Gervin.
The signing was sponsored by WB, because they made the chamionship dvd. Gervin and Horry sat in the same table and teh orde rof signing was Gervin first, then Horry. Gervin recognized me and said 'Hi' and signed while making small talk. When it was Horry's turn, he just smiled and didn't want to sign anything outside the DVD. When people presented anything outside the DVD, Horry would back up and lose eye contact with you. He never spoke with any fans. Gervin, on the other hand was more than willing to inscribe what you want and talk to you at the same time. Horry looked like he didn't want to be there.

Now, being a Lakers fan and Spurs fan, I was excited to meet Horry. But after coming out of this experience, I am now a big George Gervin fan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-05, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I was at the HEB for bruce bowen's autograph man is he hott up close.he told me thank you and he smiled. im mad i didnt get to see Horry.
Old 07-22-05, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Wasn't at Ingram, but I was at Best Buy the night before. We were told prior to the autograph signing started that we were not going to be able to have anything but the DVD signed. It was at the request of the company sponsoring the event which, as you mentioned, was the same company who made the DVD. Also with the size of the crowd, it made things very hard for others waiting in line, the players, and the staff if all had to wait for the players to move and sign jerseys, basketballs, t-shirts, etc. Then people start DEMANDING a certain area of the item signed. The process would take forever, and in both instances, I believe, there were only going to be there two hours. There was a HUGE crowd at Ingram and relaying a message may have been more difficult with the mall crowd and lay-out. I was able to get Horry and Bowen to sign the same DVD and was gratefull for the opportunity. Keep your eyes open for other opportunities as the season approaches and during the regular season for autograph sessions with players. This site is very helpful as well as the spurs.com webiste sponsored by the NBA. Although I am new, in number of posts, I have been reading and following SR for years. Welcome!
Old 07-22-05, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i had a press pass once for a Spurs game at the Alamodome and Gervin was in the dining room before the game but i felt it would look unprofessional to ask for an autograph ... i dont know why i didnt ... i wasnt there working i just got a pass from my radio station
Old 07-22-05, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I have several memorabilia from the spurs. I mostly collect signed cards. Here are some of what I have:

Old 07-22-05, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacreative2
I have several memorabilia from the spurs. I mostly collect signed cards. Here are some of what I have:

Good name, I love my iMac too
Old 07-22-05, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

LOL! Thanks, bonnington!
Old 07-22-05, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacreative2
LOL! Thanks, bonnington!
It will be hard here for you beign a Spurs fan and a Laker fan, not a lot of love for the LA team here. good luck.
Old 07-22-05, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yes, I know. Once wore my alma mater shirt (UCLA) to the Alamodome without thinking and people booed me.

I didn't understand before why SA hated the Lakers so much. Fans of LA never thought of SA as rivals. We were big into the Sacramento vs. Lakers thing. I think Laker fans have much respect for Spurs fans. Now I know that due to some Lakers lucky situation, calls or shots have prevented SA from getting at least 2 titles in the past.

Still, I strongly believe that although there is no love for the Spurs from Laker fans, there is much respect and no hate at all.
Old 07-22-05, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

man i wish i knew about it
Old 07-22-05, 04:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I met Gervin when he was out at St. Mary's for Buddy Meyer's last game. He's a terrific, stand-up guy. Gave our school paper an interview when he didn't have to. One of the finest, nicest athletes I've ever met.

Last edited by cowboysfan03; 07-22-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I got to interview Horry for WOAI-TV....

Nice guy....
Old 07-22-05, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

spursincharge: yeah, but you are with WOAI-TV. I'm just a shmuck.
Old 07-22-05, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i cant believe what you wrote about horry, because bruce himslf - on SA Living - stated that HORRY said "fans could bring anything to sign!" did you ever stop to think that he was tired after signing so many and not just for one day either? i saw him on the news - think it was heb, he signed a t-sshirt. he was saying how much he appreciates the fans...
Old 07-22-05, 10:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with what Godkid1 says, there is no way I believe what you said about Horry. He is the most down-to-earth guy and is great to the fans. He'd already spent a couple hours at midnight doing a signing session at Best Buy and then that evening he was at HEB. He didn't have to do either of those but he did. Everyone I've talked to that participated in the Best Buy signing has said he was absolutely wonderful and couldn't have been any nicer to the people working or to the fans.
Old 07-23-05, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I finally got my DVD!!! It came today and is signed by Horry.

Old 07-23-05, 04:59 PM

my friend and i got in line around 1:30. Little did i know, you needed to purchase the dvd from suncoast and get a wristband to have it signed. I had my copy frm home all ready to sign, so i had to buy another copy! I still got mine signed and sold the one i purchased to my friend. Even at 130 i was number 146 in line. Too many people! But it was quite awesome to see Horry and Gervin. Very nice guys, *horry has a great smile*

Old 07-25-05, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Godkid1 and miss: You can believe what you want, and I am not asking you to believe me. I was there, experienced the whole thing, and simply was making a statement. It was sponsored by WB, so athletes were paid to sign the DVD and nothing else.

Hedo_Tfan was there and stated," horry has a great smile". and Hedo was number 146. I was number 3. I had a friend at number 50 and most of the people I spoke to there said he never spoke either. Horry must be tired. true. Maybe he had one of those bad days. But I experience what I experienced.

I am a Laker/Spur fan which means I'm a huge fan of Robert Horry. I am not bashing him in any way. So Godkid, before you start blindly defending those you don't know, read carefully before lambasting people.
Old 07-25-05, 05:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

excuse me, but i was just stating a fact that bruce bowen was on tv and said that horry would sign whatever people bought. as i also said, i saw him on the news signing a t-shirt. i also said that i wasnt sure what day, but i sure wasnt "blindly defending" rob as you put it. and how do you know he didnt sign anything else at another "meet and sign"
Old 07-26-05, 10:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Then my apologies, Godkid1.