News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-22-05, 07:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

LMAO at the Lakers!!!!

They are literally breaking their necks to try and rebuild their immediately. They arent even focusing on anything down the road really......its NOW, NOW, NOW!!!! That shiat isnt gonna work at all.....................
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-05, 07:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

futile effort
Old 07-22-05, 08:03 AM
Banned

when's kobe getting a divorce?

ftl.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-05, 08:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

No matter what they do they still wont make the Finals this year!! There are way better teams then them.
Old 07-22-05, 08:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

You guys are obsessed with the Lakers...
Old 07-22-05, 08:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

What the hell are you talking about? Lakers about now now now - uh, no. From what I've seen this year they're trying to get shorter contracts (2 years) and develop big men. Whether or not it pans out remains to be seen, but the only teams that are about winning now are the Spurs, Pistons, Nets, Cavs, Heat, Pacers, and Rockets.
Old 07-22-05, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

yeah lakers want to win nowbeing they want cap scace to try to sign amare or ming means they want to win now

it could have cost them ad this year
Old 07-22-05, 08:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
hey Soup, think Indiana is ready to take the East with Larry leaving Detroit? Would be fun to see the Pacers in the Finals.

F*ck the Fakers!
Old 07-22-05, 08:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I think they are trying to get a little better now, but they are thinking abot the future by not giving long term contract so they will have a lot of money to make run's at Yao and Amare. I don't think they get either and they are missing out on some good players by doing so.
Old 07-22-05, 08:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The whole point of them not signing AD this summer was because he wanted a 5-year contract. There'll be a fair amount of quality FAs in 2007, so their reluctance to sign long contracts would mean they want to make big moves 2 years from now - if you want to get semantic, it's the near future, but not now.
Old 07-22-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchwarmer
The whole point of them not signing AD this summer was because he wanted a 5-year contract. There'll be a fair amount of quality FAs in 2007, so their reluctance to sign long contracts would mean they want to make big moves 2 years from now - if you want to get semantic, it's the near future, but not now.
Obviously it isnt "now", given this is the offseason. Unless they are adding players to their summer league roster.
Old 07-22-05, 08:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchwarmer
That's what it is.

The Lakers are about winning Championships, not just being contenders.

Sure, they could make moves now to make them contenders, but honestly, the type of moves that they can make right now aren't going to make them better than SA or PHX or DET.

Look at it like this....Nash is PHX. In a few years he'll be old. You never know what's gonna happen in Detroit with their new coach and all. And yes, even Tim Duncan is going to start to age in a few years.

When they have the cap room in 07 and they bring in key FA's, then they have a good chance of winning Championships again, especially after alot of the young players they have now will have years of triangle experience. Summer of 2007 is alot closer than you think.
Old 07-22-05, 09:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess......
Old 07-22-05, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Summer of 2007 is alot closer than you think.
How do you know Jackson will want to coach past his 3 year deal? Im 100% convinced he only came back for the money
Old 07-22-05, 09:27 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Quote:
Look at it like this....Nash is PHX. In a few years he'll be old. You never know what's gonna happen in Detroit with their new coach and all. And yes, even Tim Duncan is going to start to age in a few years.
And Kobe Bryant is playing these prime years doing what? Coddling Kwhyme Brown and babysitting potentially the next Kevin Duckworth or Stanley Roberts in Andrew Bynum and for PG? fuggedaboutit. You know Kobe ages too and truthfully, He has been playing in the league LONGER than Duncan.

Quote:
When they have the cap room in 07 and they bring in key FA's, then they have a good chance of winning Championships again, especially after alot of the young players they have now will have years of triangle experience. Summer of 2007 is alot closer than you think.
I think it's 2 summers away. That's 2 seasons of watching your team look up at our team.

That ring sig is SOOOO 3 seasons ago.

Old 07-22-05, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rod
That's what it is.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Serenity nowwwwww,....

Sorry for all the screaming, it a tidbit from Seinfeld.
Old 07-22-05, 10:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
It's all incumbent on keeping Kobe away from the white girls.
Old 07-22-05, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The only thing I'm gonna say is this...the Lakers went a pretty long time from the end of the Magic Era to the Shaq/Kobe Era without winning any rings. Kobe may just be one of those players that a franchise hitches its wagon too and can't deliver. Like Dominique Wilkins or Pistol Pete, Kobe will be a star through his prime watching the other greats of his age winning more rings.
Old 07-22-05, 10:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
There is always so much put into rebuilding through free agency, but that hasn't ever really worked out. Think of all the big-name free agents that have been available since the new CBA-era...who has moved. Grant Hill? Guys just don't leave...and the days of glamour in LA are over. What will Yao see in LA that he can't get in Houston? Kobe Bryant? T-Mac is just as good if not better. Amare? Not likely that he'll leave Marion, Johnson, and Nash for Kobe and Lamar Odom (who, by the way, is not really that good).

In case you forgot, the current coach of the Lakers wrote a book telling the world that Kobe Bryant is a bad teammate, and he showed us a couple of summers ago that he's not a great guy. He threw Shaq under the bus during that whole rape trial...men don't forget things like that, and I'm not sure that any free agent will ever line up to play next to Kobe Bryant.

LA made the wrong choice when the picked to build around Kobe. The summer of '07 is not that far away...but I don't think it'll make a difference.
Old 07-22-05, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
That's what it is.

Sure, they could make moves now to make them contenders, but honestly, the type of moves that they can make right now aren't going to make them better than SA or PHX or DET.

That pact that the Lakers made with Satan? Well it is expired and now Satan is calling in the marker......Losing is Hell!!!
Old 07-22-05, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNet
They are literally breaking their necks to try and rebuild their immediately. They arent even focusing on anything down the road really......its NOW, NOW, NOW!!!! That shiat isnt gonna work at all.....................
I'm not really sure what kind of bizaro world you live in and exactly WHAT Los Angeles Lakers franchise you are watching, but in this world - the real world - your post could not be further from the truth.

It's been clear since the day that the Lakers traded away Shaquille O'Neal to Miami - that the Lakers had an eye toward the free agency class of 2007.

I look at their roster from this past season and it doesn't exactly scream "NOW NOW NOW". I mean Vlade Divac? Brian Grant? Chucky Atkins?? No on was exactly accusing the Lakers of trying to win an NBA Championship last season, were they??

This years roster will probably be improved - but again - probably not any better than 7th in the West.

I don't see exactly how in the world this displays the Lakers are trying to "rebuild there immediately".

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Phil Jackson is back now - and regardless if some feel he only returned for the money - the man is not going to come back to lose ball games. He's going to instill his system - with some of his faithful assistants around him - and with the best guard in basketball on his team. I said it before and I'll say it again: I think they will win 50 games.

They've added a young PF in Kwame Brown who may or may not pan out. He may be the next Derrick Coleman or he may be the next Jermaine O'Neal. Despite what some may feel about this move, the reality of that situation is: we don't really know.

They will likely waive Brian Grant as soon as the new CBA becomes official. Why? It won't save them cap space - but it will save them big money in luxury tax. It's only two more years of that deal, but it still looks like the Lakers are trying to save money - not spend it.

You usually have to spend money when you're trying to rebuild quickly, when you're trying to win NOW NOW NOW. Ask Antonio Daniels why he's not a Los Angeles Laker. He won't tell you it's because the Lakers are "breaking their necks trying to win now".

In the summer of 2007 - the Rookie Class 0f 2002 will hit free agency. The most prominent names will be Amare Stoudamire and Yao Ming. Perhaps these players will no longer be available (if they sign extensions with their teams) - but what if they are?? We don't know what's going on in their heads - it's not out of the question.

Add them to a free agency class that could also include veteran stars like Dirk Nowitski, Peja Stojakovic, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Rashard Lewis, and Nene among others. I don't think it's out of the question that one of these veteran players jumps over to the Lakers to team up with Kobe Bryant. the truth is: we really don't know.

We can all hope and dream that the Lakers futility of last season lasts for an eternity, but the reality of the situation is: it probably won't.

I think SoupIsGood's one sentence analyisis is right one the money.. This board IS obsessed with the Lakers and seeing them fail. The reality of the situation is - we are still jealous.

I hated the Lakers during 99-04 as much as the next guy. But the reality of the situation is (and I think it's safe to admit this): they were still better than us. They beat us three times - we beat them twice. We made them cry sure - but they humiliated us twice. For two straight seasons - we mustered 1 measley playoff win against them. I don't want to hear excuses about those years either. 8-1. Scoreboard. Just as we like to say with other teams that haven't had our success: scoreboard - we should be able to accept that when it doesn't go in our favor. The reality of the matter is - the Lakers of 2000-2002 were better than us, and we still refuse to get over that fact.

If we win 3 in a row and 5 in 9 years - then we can talk about how we were better overall - but that hasn't happned yet. Nothing is guarenteed. Until we win two more - they are still the best team of this decade.

We can laugh at them all we want. They laughed at our expense too. 2001 Sweep. Porter falling on his butt in '02. The lunacy of .4 - they have had plenty of laughs at out expense. But it wasn't too long we were the ones scrambling, trying to rebuild on the fly and courting Jason Kidd like lovesick puppies. That's the nature of the beast - that's the business.

And the Lakers will eventually take care of their business. No one is ever going to accuse Mitch Kupchak of being Jerry West. But the guy isn't Isiah Thomas either, OK? The reality of the Lakers situation is: we know absolutely nothing about it

I hope the Lakers do rebound. I want them back. I want the rivalry to mean something again. I want Kobe at his best and Phil Jackson at his most sarcastic. I want them to be good again.

Their return to prominence will only make a Spurs victory that much sweeter.
Old 07-22-05, 11:41 AM
FrenchConnection

Quote:
That's what it is.

the Lakers had the advantage that players were interested in playing there so they always had the potential to get stars. With the new CBA rules, I think that players are going to consider twice about the extra 20 millions that they can get with their current team.

Your "The Lakers are about winning Championships, not just being contenders." comment might explain why Lakers fans come and go. They are only fans the years that the team is good enough to win.

Anyway, Yao is going to come to SA that's why TP went to China with him and his girfriend, Tony was sent there by CIA Pop to prepare for the free agency of 2007.
Old 07-22-05, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNet
I guess......
I think after rich B's commentary (smackdown) AllNet might not make many more Lakers threads
Seriously, the team is in rebuild mode and has been since Shaq left. No one has been more aware of this than the Lakers management (or their fan base...even if they're of a more fair weather variety). At some point, Spurs fans just need to let go of the 2000-2002 Lakers...mostly because they don't exist any more. I doubt that the Lakers will be terrible for long and maybe in contention a couple years from now. We'll just have to wait and see. I can only hope that we'll be treated to some great games between our boys and theirs until then.
Old 07-22-05, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
I'm not really sure what kind of bizaro world you live in and exactly WHAT Los Angeles Lakers franchise you are watching, but in this world - the real world - your post could not be further from the truth.

It's been clear since the day that the Lakers traded away Shaquille O'Neal to Miami - that the Lakers had an eye toward the free agency class of 2007.

I look at their roster from this past season and it doesn't exactly scream "NOW NOW NOW". I mean Vlade Divac? Brian Grant? Chucky Atkins?? No on was exactly accusing the Lakers of trying to win an NBA Championship last season, were they??

This years roster will probably be improved - but again - probably not any better than 7th in the West.

I don't see exactly how in the world this displays the Lakers are trying to "rebuild there immediately".

Phil Jackson is back now - and regardless if some feel he only returned for the money - the man is not going to come back to lose ball games. He's going to instill his system - with some of his faithful assistants around him - and with the best guard in basketball on his team. I said it before and I'll say it again: I think they will win 50 games.

They've added a young PF in Kwame Brown who may or may not pan out. He may be the next Derrick Coleman or he may be the next Jermaine O'Neal. Despite what some may feel about this move, the reality of that situation is: we don't really know.

They will likely waive Brian Grant as soon as the new CBA becomes official. Why? It won't save them cap space - but it will save them big money in luxury tax. It's only two more years of that deal, but it still looks like the Lakers are trying to save money - not spend it.

You usually have to spend money when you're trying to rebuild quickly, when you're trying to win NOW NOW NOW. Ask Antonio Daniels why he's not a Los Angeles Laker. He won't tell you it's because the Lakers are "breaking their necks trying to win now".

In the summer of 2007 - the Rookie Class 0f 2002 will hit free agency. The most prominent names will be Amare Stoudamire and Yao Ming. Perhaps these players will no longer be available (if they sign extensions with their teams) - but what if they are?? We don't know what's going on in their heads - it's not out of the question.

Add them to a free agency class that could also include veteran stars like Dirk Nowitski, Peja Stojakovic, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Rashard Lewis, and Nene among others. I don't think it's out of the question that one of these veteran players jumps over to the Lakers to team up with Kobe Bryant. the truth is: we really don't know.

We can all hope and dream that the Lakers futility of last season lasts for an eternity, but the reality of the situation is: it probably won't.

I think SoupIsGood's one sentence analyisis is right one the money.. This board IS obsessed with the Lakers and seeing them fail. The reality of the situation is - we are still jealous.

I hated the Lakers during 99-04 as much as the next guy. But the reality of the situation is (and I think it's safe to admit this): they were still better than us. They beat us three times - we beat them twice. We made them cry sure - but they humiliated us twice. For two straight seasons - we mustered 1 measley playoff win against them. I don't want to hear excuses about those years either. 8-1. Scoreboard. Just as we like to say with other teams that haven't had our success: scoreboard - we should be able to accept that when it doesn't go in our favor. The reality of the matter is - the Lakers of 2000-2002 were better than us, and we still refuse to get over that fact.

If we win 3 in a row and 5 in 9 years - then we can talk about how we were better overall - but that hasn't happned yet. Nothing is guarenteed. Until we win two more - they are still the best team of this decade.

We can laugh at them all we want. They laughed at our expense too. 2001 Sweep. Porter falling on his butt in '02. The lunacy of .4 - they have had plenty of laughs at out expense. But it wasn't too long we were the ones scrambling, trying to rebuild on the fly and courting Jason Kidd like lovesick puppies. That's the nature of the beast - that's the business.

And the Lakers will eventually take care of their business. No one is ever going to accuse Mitch Kupchak of being Jerry West. But the guy isn't Isiah Thomas either, OK? The reality of the Lakers situation is: we know absolutely nothing about it

I hope the Lakers do rebound. I want them back. I want the rivalry to mean something again. I want Kobe at his best and Phil Jackson at his most sarcastic. I want them to be good again.

wow. Great post.

I think every Spurs fan in the World needs to read this post and memorize it. Especially this quote....
This board IS obsessed with the Lakers and seeing them fail. The reality of the situation is - we are still jealous.

I think I'm gonna cry.
Old 07-22-05, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well, Rich there you go. Your dreams have come true, A Laker fan finally gives you love....and please dont lump me in with "we are still jealous" group. News flash! Rival teams HATE each other and ENJOY watching each other at their low points. So, excuse me.
Old 07-22-05, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

wow...Rich proping the lakers...how nice

This is a Spurs forum. People are going to hate them here.

Jackson is only there under a 3 year deal. He may not very well coach beyond that. He will have his fat paycheck already

Yao and Amare are total pipe dreams for LA. Houston and the Suns can match any offer and will be able to pay the most of anyone. Its likely they dont even reach free agency anyway. You cant say never but its very...very unlikely they go anywhere...and please dont bring up Shaq again. the CBA is different now

Thinking superstar players are going to leave MILLIONS on the table just to play with Kobe at this point is wishful thinking. He isnt that big of a draw

Houston or The Suns could just match the lakers offer and its over

both players will be RESTRICTED FA's
Old 07-22-05, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
wow. Great post.

I think every Spurs fan in the World needs to read this post and memorize it. Especially this quote....
This board IS obsessed with the Lakers and seeing them fail. The reality of the situation is - we are still jealous.
I think I'm gonna cry.

Hey Lakers, we are the champs, you're in the dumps, and quite frankly, we don't give a flip about you! You are not a threat! You're not even yesterday, you are history!
Old 07-22-05, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Believe it or not it is actually possible to hate the lakers and be rational enough to realize that they're not going to be down for long. I wouldn't shed a tear (except maybe out of laughter) if the lakers never ever made the playoffs again, but I know that's not going to happen and that barring a colossal series of bad decisions on their part they should be back in the mix 3 to 4 years from now.
Old 07-22-05, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Naw...Kobe will have 3 or 4 more years of wear and tear, and 3 or 4 more years of cementing his bad reputation, so: lots of misery in store for the Lakers...So Sorry!
Old 07-22-05, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

If we win 3 in a row and 5 in 9 years - then we can talk about how we were better overall -but that hasn't happned yet. Nothing is guarenteed. Until we win two more -theyare still the best team of this decade.

I think the reality of the situation is that if I read the phrase "the reality of the situation" one more time in that unepic post, I probably would have lost my freaking mind.

It confuses me that you say "we really don't know", "what if they are", "we really don't know", and "we know absolutely nothing about it"...but you're "probably" sure that the Lakers futility won't last an eternity.

Here's the reality of the situation...the Lakers are a poorly managed franchise with an overrated centerpiece who is a bad teammate (by the admission of his own head coach). There are no assurances that Yao Ming, Amare Stoudamire, Peja Stojakovic, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitski, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Rahard Lewis, Nene, or any other free agents will want to play for that franchise.

Are we jealous of the Lakers? Sure as hell are! Yes, we want to be one of the greatest franchises in the history of the league, and as long as the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls are not winning rings while we are, we are gaining ground. Yes, they caused us fans a ton of pain and suffering over the years so damn right I hate them. Damn right I'm obsessed with them...that's what rivalries are about, aren't they? I don't want them to compete...I want them to suck. I want Jack Nickolson to pay tons of money to watch a sh!tty team. I want Phil Jackson to lose in the playoffs every year. I want Kobe Bryant to never taste champagne again. I want the Clippers to be better. I want Micheal Cooper to be the best coach in the history of the WNBA. I want Mitch Kupchak to forever be their GM. I want the Staples center half full. I want their draft picks to bust. I want Magic Johnson to get fatter. I want them to stop at nine. I want them to lose, all the time...not just to the Spurs, but I want the Charlotte Bobcats to beat them.

So, you're right...the Laker might get this guy or could get that guy or may get better. But the future is very uncertain for that franchise, and if things don't go the way their fans hope they do in 2007, the futility could last an eternity. I, for one, hope it does.

Another reality is this...the Spurs have the best core in the league locked up for the next 5 years. They have the best front office in basketball, and that is the reason they were able to rebuild while competing. Hell, we were rebuilding in 2003 and accidentally won the whole damn thing! So don't anticipate the mass confusion the Lakers are facing now when Timmy starts the downside of his career. This franchise will be ready.
Old 07-22-05, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
Yeah, why are they? A don't give a piece of Sht about them
Old 07-22-05, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutheastTexas
Naw...Kobe will have 3 or 4 more years of wear and tear, and 3 or 4 more years of cementing his bad reputation, so: lots of misery in store for the Lakers...So Sorry!
And if that happens, believe me I will be right there with you laughing my hiney off. I don't think that will be the case though. Time will tell.
Old 07-22-05, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Believe it or not it is actually possible to hate the lakers and be rational enough to realize that they're not going to be down for long.
Exactly right. As unbelievable as that may seem.
Old 07-22-05, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess you can say Im a bit off, but it seems to me the Lakers are turning over every single rock to try and find a Superstar player. Hell, theyve already dug up a dead ol coach. JMHO.
Old 07-22-05, 02:11 PM
FrenchConnection

Quote:
wow. Great post.

I think I'm gonna cry.
I am also obsessed with the zit that I have on my face today, the reality of the situation is that it is only a little protuberance full of puss that I am going to get rid off.
Old 07-22-05, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfred
I am also obsessed with the zit that I have on my face today, the reality of the situation is that it is only a little protuberance full of puss that I am going to get rid off.
Old 07-22-05, 02:54 PM
Official SR Home Builder

On related News:

July 22, 2005 latimes.com

Turiaf Has a Faulty Heart

Lakers' second-round pick faces surgery and won't play for at least a season because of a condition that could have been fatal.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Laker draft pick Ronny Turiaf will undergo open-heart surgery to repair an enlarged aortic root and will sit out one season, if not longer, as he recuperates from a condition that could have taken his life if not diagnosed.

Turiaf, 22, will have surgery in four to six weeks to treat the condition, which was detected by Laker doctors after extensive testing. Turiaf, a 6-foot-10 forward selected No. 37 by the Lakers in last month's draft, signed a two-year contract last week that was contingent upon his passing a physical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Turiaf, who grew up on the Caribbean island of Martinique and played high school basketball in Paris, had tests done several years ago in France that showed an abnormality of the heart, but was cleared to play. Tests done last month at the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago also presented an abnormality, but he was cleared there as well.

"Naturally, we wish that they would have seen it the way our doctors found it," Laker spokesman John Black said Thursday. "It would have made a difference, but we don't want to point fingers. We feel fortunate that it was found when it was. It probably saved the kid's life.

"A best-case scenario, if things go great, is he could come back as early as a year from now. Doctors think that if he's ever able to play basketball again, it would be a bonus."

The condition is probably congenital, although doctors could not pinpoint how long it has been an issue, Black said.

The aortic root is the beginning part of the aorta, the body's largest artery, which carries oxygenated blood to all parts of the body. The diameter of Turiaf's aorta is 5.6 centimeters, about 50% larger than normal, increasing the probability of a rupture.

"He's obviously a bigger person, so you expect the diameter to be bigger, but that's very large," said Howard Staniloff, a cardiologist at Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center in Inglewood.

One of Turiaf's attending physicians said there was a 75% chance he would have had a potentially fatal episode within a three- to four-year period, Black said. Turiaf was examined by Laker internist John Moe and Centinela Freeman cardiologist Phil Frankel, among others.

"The usual way it might present itself is with a person bleeding, collapsing to the floor and dying," Staniloff said. "When it comes on, if it ruptures, the chances of people surviving that is small. By identifying it now before there's a hole in it, they can plan for it and do the surgery in a controlled way and fix it."

Patients who undergo surgery for an enlarged aortic root are usually substantially older than Turiaf, Staniloff said.

Turiaf was also tested for Marfan syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that can lead to a ruptured aorta. Results were negative.

Turiaf, who played four years at Gonzaga, was selected the West Coast Conference most valuable player his senior season after averaging 15.9 points and 9.5 rebounds. The Lakers liked his aggressiveness at both ends of the court and were elated that he was still available with the first of their two second-round picks.

Turiaf's scrappiness made him a quick fan favorite in the recently concluded summer league in Long Beach. Turiaf, in his final summer league game last week, had 14 points and four rebounds in 35 minutes against the Miami Heat's summer league entry. He sat out the last four games for further testing after undergoing his physical.

"Naturally, there is some disappointment from us that he won't be able to play," Black said. "He was a player that we like. We thought he'd go in the first round. We were happy to get him but we also feel very fortunate that our doctors found this when they did because my understanding of it is this was a potentially fatal situation, and by our doctors finding it, we believe we saved his life."

Black said Turiaf's condition would nullify the contract he signed last week, although the Lakers would still retain his rights, pending league approval. The team is expected to pay Turiaf's medical costs.

"He's obviously disappointed, and I think it's safe to say he's concerned and anxious and a little bit scared that he's going to have to undergo open-heart surgery," Black said. "But I think his state now after having it sunk in a little bit, he's optimistic about it and hopeful for his future."

Old 07-22-05, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
wow. Great post.

I think I'm gonna cry.
Jealous, Hell NO!

Hate them, Hell Yes!

I'm no more Jealous of the Lakers than I am of the toothless inbreds in oklahoma and they are currently riding a 5 game streak on my Longhorns. Right now is the Golden Years of the San Antonio Spurs, right now we are on top of the world. But even being on top of the world I can still come down to make fun of the Lakers and their futile beliefs that somehow the world isn't right because they aren't champions. Fact is the world hasn't looked better.
Old 07-22-05, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
hey Soup, think Indiana is ready to take the East with Larry leaving Detroit? Would be fun to see the Pacers in the Finals.

F*ck the Fakers!

i would like the pacers in the finals too.
Old 07-22-05, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

spurssheriff just posted this is a nba forum

LOL
Old 07-22-05, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Obviously, this is a very good time if you like seeing the Lakers flounder...

Making a run to be a champion, fine, but they're going to have to make a run to become an average team first. Gotta love it.
Old 07-22-05, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks

spurssheriff just posted this is a nba forum

LOL
There is NBA discussion here...but last I checked this place is called SPURS REPORT and full of mostly Spurs fans...people are not going to like the lakers here regardless
Old 07-22-05, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
wow. Great post.

I think I'm gonna cry.
Obsessed is such an extreme term. The word "obsession" implies that Spurs fans are spending hours every day thinking and worrying about the Lakers, where they are, what they're doing, who what why when where how, etc.

But ignoring the symantics of the word itself......Laker fans are "obsessed" with the Spurs as well.

Every day on a Laker board somewhere there are 5 or 6 threads on the 1st page talking about the Spurs. And plenty of Laker fans seething that while their team is in the dumps, we are still celebrating a championship.......seething that while their future is unknown, our future is set......seething that they don't know when they will be back in the finals while they know we are the odds on favorite for the next couple years.

Spurs fans may be "obsessed" because there was once a strong rivalry. Laker fans are obsessed because we laugh at their once proud franchise, if we pay any attention to them at all.

Big whoop.

I have better things to do than worry about what some Laker fan may think.
Old 07-22-05, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

They have 2007 free agency in mind, but they have realized that not making the playoffs really hurts their takings at the Staples Center, their jersey sales, and their season-ticket takeup. Jerry Buss is determined to have the Lakers make the playoffs this time around. That is why Phil is back even though he parted ways with Jerry Buss on somewhat acrimonious circumstances.

Quote:
That was the logical move, but Turiaf being unavailable puts a wrinkle in the situation. They do need an experienced and tough big man if they want to be competitive in the West. Grant is the only guy on the roster now that fits that bill.

Quote:
Dirk is available? Interesting....
Rashard Lewis is not. He's got a long term extension done already.

Quote:
Jealous? Speak for yourself, not for the rest of us, please!

I prefer to see it another way. For many people here, bashing the Lakers is like a useless habit that's not easy to break. It's not really an obsession. It's more like habitually picking your nose in public. Unsightly, but ultimately harmless. Eventually people will finally get tired of it.

Quote:

Not at all. It is time to move on and seek new rivalries. Hopefully the Pistons don't drop off the map with LB gone. I'd much rather have a rivalry with those guys.
Old 07-22-05, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Dude, let me know when you're going to a GTG, because I'm going to shake your hand for that post. Best post I have EVER read on this board.

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Old 07-22-05, 05:54 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Great Job, rich. Make that 2 lakerfans who prop YOU....
Last I checked, It's not richb report either.....
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Old 07-22-05, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub
I think the reality of the situation is that if I read the phrase "the reality of the situation" one more time in that unepic post, I probably would have lost my freaking mind.

It confuses me that you say "we really don't know", "what if they are", "we really don't know", and "we know absolutely nothing about it"...but you're "probably" sure that the Lakers futility won't last an eternity.

Here's the reality of the situation...the Lakers are a poorly managed franchise with an overrated centerpiece who is a bad teammate (by the admission of his own head coach). There are no assurances that Yao Ming, Amare Stoudamire, Peja Stojakovic, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitski, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Rahard Lewis, Nene, or any other free agents will want to play for that franchise.

Are we jealous of the Lakers? Sure as hell are! Yes, we want to be one of the greatest franchises in the history of the league, and as long as the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls are not winning rings while we are, we are gaining ground. Yes, they caused us fans a ton of pain and suffering over the years so damn right I hate them. Damn right I'm obsessed with them...that's what rivalries are about, aren't they? I don't want them to compete...I want them to suck. I want Jack Nickolson to pay tons of money to watch a sh!tty team. I want Phil Jackson to lose in the playoffs every year. I want Kobe Bryant to never taste champagne again. I want the Clippers to be better. I want Micheal Cooper to be the best coach in the history of the WNBA. I want Mitch Kupchak to forever be their GM. I want the Staples center half full. I want their draft picks to bust. I want Magic Johnson to get fatter. I want them to stop at nine. I want them to lose, all the time...not just to the Spurs, but I want the Charlotte Bobcats to beat them.

So, you're right...the Laker might get this guy or could get that guy or may get better. But the future is very uncertain for that franchise, and if things don't go the way their fans hope they do in 2007, the futility could last an eternity. I, for one, hope it does.

Another reality is this...the Spurs have the best core in the league locked up for the next 5 years. They have the best front office in basketball, and that is the reason they were able to rebuild while competing. Hell, we were rebuilding in 2003 and accidentally won the whole damn thing! So don't anticipate the mass confusion the Lakers are facing now when Timmy starts the downside of his career. This franchise will be ready.

Here Here
Old 07-22-05, 08:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Last I checked, It's not richb report either.
try telling Rich that
Old 07-22-05, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Hell the Lakers are the NBA as much as I hate so say it. Ppl wanna watch em.
Old 07-23-05, 06:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

"Another reality is this...the Spurs have the best core in the league locked up for the next 5 years. They have the best front office in basketball, and that is the reason they were able to rebuild while competing. Hell, we were rebuilding in 2003 and accidentally won the whole damn thing! So don't anticipate the mass confusion the Lakers are facing now when Timmy starts the downside of his career. This franchise will be ready. "

You can have the best damn FO in the league, but that doesn't mean you're not going to go though a rebuilding process. Unless you guys somehow become a lottery team in 5 years with Tim, Tony, and Manu, then theres no way, anybody can be ready. Your best bet is that your franchise can rebuild on the fly, and hold on to your scouts. You're not going to be drafting Manu's and Tony's in the second round in the future.

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield