News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-19-05, 02:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Jasikevicus update tomorrow

I just got off the phone with Doug Neustadt and he said he can't comment on anything right now but he will have an update for me tomorrow on a possible deal or moving forward with a team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-05, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-05, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru
I just got off the phone with Doug Neustadt and he said he can't comment on anything right now but he will have an update for me tomorrow on a possible deal or moving forward with a team.
who is Jasikevicus?
Old 07-19-05, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thanks for the info. Could it be Cleveland after all?

Quote:
The Cavaliers are still in the market for a starting point guard, they want to upgrade the power forward position and they still need overall depth. The problem is, after officially signing center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and guard Larry Hughes on Friday, they'll have between $6 million and $8 million (depending on where the salary cap falls) to get all of that accomplished.

They seemed to be far down the path of signing Maccabi Tel Aviv point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius. The San Antonio Express-News went so far as to say they have agreed on a contract. A source close to the Lithuanian said he wasn't aware of any such news. His agent, Doug Neustadt of Octogon Sports in Washington, D.C., was out of the office on yesterday.

The 6-foot-3 guard wants a three-year, $10 million pact. The 29-year-old appears to be the kind of 3-point shooter the Cavaliers desperately need.

Free agents can sign with their new teams starting at 6 p.m. Friday.

The Cavaliers are also apparently interested in Seattle's Antonio Daniels, Los Angeles Clippers' Marko Jaric and Portland's Damon Stoudamire. Daniels is said to be close to signing with the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota is trying to work out a sign-and-trade to add Jaric.

All three players reportedly want the full mid-level exception (the Cavaliers don't have either of their exceptions this season, but have available cap space).

Aaron Goodwin, the agent for Stoudamire, said rumors of Cleveland's interest might just be that -- a rumor.

''Right now, it just seems to be talk,'' Goodwin said.

Power forwards still available that the Cavaliers might covet include Seattle's Reggie Evans and Vladimir Radmanovic, Boston's Antoine Walker, Indiana's Dale Davis and Cleveland's Robert ''Tractor'' Traylor.

One option is for the Cavaliers to sign a power forward and then trade Drew Gooden for a starting point guard.

Radmanovic, perhaps the top shooter remaining in free agency, would command the rest of the Cavaliers' money under the cap. Despite being 6-foot-10, he's not a classic power forward. However, he is a dangerous 3-point threat.

The Cavaliers have not been rumored to have any interest in Shareef Abdur-Rahim nor Donyell Marshall, even though they tried to pry the latter loose from Toronto at the trade deadline last February.

They have inquired about 36-year-old Dale Davis, who played for almost $10 million last year. He is probably a $3 million-a-year player at this stage of his career.

The Cavaliers voided the 2005-06 contract of Traylor worth $1.7 million, but might want to bring him back at the right price.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=46370&rfi=6

I am so confused about Cleveland. This report is dated today, but somewhere else it said Cleveland was signing Marshall.

================================================== =====

Also a cute story:

Quote:
Having secured the rights to 19-year-old Martynas Andriuskevicius, who stands 7 feet 2, the Cavs may soon field twin Baltic towers - Z and "Martyn" (Mahr- TEEN) - making Cleveland the most Lithuanian team in the National Basketball Association.

Further stoking the frenzy, local Lithuanian-Americans are keenly aware of the Cavs' reported interest in European sensation Sarunas Jasikevicius, the guard who helped Lithuania upset Team USA at the Athens Olympics, and the best man at Z's wedding last summer.

Three Lithuanians on a 14-man NBA roster? All from the same city, Kaunas, from one of the smallest nations in the world? The possibilities leave an ethnic community breathless.
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...l=2&thispage=1
Old 07-19-05, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

He said nothing is official yet. My speculation is he is close to a deal with the Cavs but he wants Jasikevicus to go to Indiana so he's trying to get him to step up the offer.
Old 07-19-05, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I remember him during the olympics I think it was; the guy was absolutely one of the best shooters I/ve seen...would be great off the bench in aker role, but from what I remember he wasn't great shakes on d.
Old 07-19-05, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sarunas is a pg with athleticism and touch.
Old 07-19-05, 02:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It makes sense that he would go with his fellow countrymen at Cleveland.
Old 07-19-05, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Maybe not. This looks to be true- Cleveland Plain Dealer (1:17 PM). Don't think they would have $ left for Sarunas.

Quote:
The Cavaliers continued to bolster their roster by reaching an agreement with free agent power forward Donyell Marshall on Tuesday.

Marshall, according to sources, will sign a four-year deal worth between $20 and $25 million. Marshall, who played in Toronto last season, averages 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds over his 11-year career.

Marshall, guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas are expected to officially sign free agent contracts with the Cavaliers on Friday, the earliest date free agents can sign with teams.
http://www.cleveland.com/newslogs/pl...07.html#069229
Old 07-19-05, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Maybe not. This looks to be true- Cleveland Plain Dealer (1:17 PM). Don't think they would have $ left for Sarunas.
They are sitting at just over $21.2 mil right now with seven playeer under contract not including pending contracts of Igauskas, Hughes, Marshall and Sarunas. The four proposed deals will total approximately $30 mil. putting them right at the team salary cap. They would then fill the rest of their roster with minimum contracts.
Old 07-19-05, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It looks as if it's a lock that Jose Manuel Calderon, PG of TAU is going to get signed by the Raptors. Babcock has confirmed the negotiations and Spanish papers are reporting that the Raptors' offer is more lucrative than the Pistons' offer.

Here is one Spanish link:

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050719/prens...AC-DEP-102.asp

Babcock's comments were apparently in the Canadian newspaper 'The National Post'.

Last edited by Manuac; 07-19-05 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
It looks as if it's a lock that Jose Manuel Calderon, PG of TAU is going to get signed by the Raptors. Babcock has confirmed the negotiations and Spanish papers are reporting that the Raptors' offer is more lucrative than the Pistons' offer.
Interesting.
Thanks!!
Old 07-19-05, 04:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Oh I can't wait.
Old 07-19-05, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac

Here is one Spanish link:

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050719/prens...AC-DEP-102.asp

Babcock's comments were apparently in the Canadian newspaper 'The National Post'.
Anyone got stats one this guy, scout analysis? Isn't one of the top players in Spain?
Old 07-19-05, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Would Jasikevicus be a good option for the Spurs? The Spurs need another backup PG, and he's the best player that plays in Europe.
Old 07-20-05, 05:28 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Samurai
Anyone got stats one this guy, scout analysis? Isn't one of the top players in Spain?

euloleague stats:

http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BDG

spanish league stats (ACB):

http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=A5J
Old 07-20-05, 05:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Cleveland Plains Dealer is reporting that he's going to be signing with the Cavs.

Quote:
Point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius is expected to become the latest free agent to agree to a deal with the Cavaliers, according to several league sources.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...150.xml&coll=2
Old 07-20-05, 05:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Samurai
I like Calderon a lot. He is an athletic, shoot-first point guard with very good assist-turnover and steal-turnover ratio. Really takes care of the ball, plays defense, shoots a very high percentage on threes, despite an ugly shooting form, mainly because he has only 3 attempts per game. He is always committed, always focused and could be one of the best backup PG's imo. I actually think that he could have a better time in the NBA than Macijauskas, because of his quickness, length (normal at the PG position, while Macijauskas is undersized at SG), defense.

Last edited by Manuac; 07-20-05 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman
Would Jasikevicus be a good option for the Spurs? The Spurs need another backup PG, and he's the best player that plays in Europe.
He said he would turn down ANY contract that doesn't guarantee him a stating spot. You guys should know that. I thought I'm the one who doesn't have a clue about basketball.

Besides...I believe Tony would have hard time keeping his starting job if Sarunas got here. I really believe Sarunas is better.
Old 07-20-05, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Unfortunatley, he said he didn't have time to talk at the moment I called him but the Cleveland papers are all saying Jasikevicus will sign within the next few days so oh well.
Old 07-20-05, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdi
He said he would turn down ANY contract that doesn't guarantee him a stating spot. You guys should know that. I thought I'm the one who doesn't have a clue about basketball.

Besides...I believe Tony would have hard time keeping his starting job if Sarunas got here. I really believe Sarunas is better.
When I saw the idea of getting him to the Spurs, I too had the idea of posting that it would be too much of a risk to bring him in. Imagine that your 6 year, 66 million (correct?) player gets benched for an undrafted 3 year, 10 million guy.
Old 07-20-05, 01:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs have actually had interest in Sarunas in the past, but he has been choosy about when and where he will come to the NBA. The guy is a stud in Europe and has been upfront with the fact that he is NOT coming to the NBA to sit on the bench.
Old 07-20-05, 08:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its a shame we couln't get him last year when he was a free agent given our PG situation was very bad with TP injured early in the season and with no reliable back up.