Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-05, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

MADE ME LAUGH....2002/2003 TOP 15 NBA COACHES

found this funny...

Search
Basketball

Why bother with last year's rankings? Check out our continually updated rankings of 2003/04's Top Coaches and many other power rankings. 1. Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers -- Hard to argue with the ZenMaster; the man's racked up an astounding 9 NBA Titles in 11 coaching seasons. Of course, having the two best players in the game on your team every year doesn't hurt.

2. Larry Brown, Philadelphia 76ers -- Has won everywhere he's gone, often with only one star and a cast of clowns surrounding him.

3. Jerry Sloan, Utah Jazz -- Sloan's coaching prowess has gotten lost in the Stockton-to-Malone shuffle, but few can match his track record.

4. Pat Riley, Miami Heat -- The King of Pre-Game Planning can still pull out a win with the most marginal talent.

5. Don Nelson, Dallas Mavericks -- Long considered the most innovative mind in the game, Nelson's teams will always be woefully unprepared on defense.

6. Doc Rivers, Orlando Magic -- A rising star in the ranks whose in-game coaching needs a few more years of playoff seasoning.

7. Rick Carlisle, Detroit Pistons -- A la Larry Brown, Carlisle showed an uncanny ability to get his players to accept their roles for the good of the team.

8. Flip Saunders, Minnesota Timberwolves -- The T-Wolves are hardly the fifth or even sixth most talented team in the Western Conference, yet they always seem to be seeded there come playoff time. Draw your own conclusions.

9. George Karl, Milwaukee Bucks -- It's been a tough five months for the acerbic Karl, failing to make the Playoffs with a team favored to win the East and then taking the fall for the World Basketball Championships debacle, but he's still right up there in terms of preparing his teams for battle.

10. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs -- Routinely outcoached in the big spot. It seems once things start going downhill for the Spurs, Popovich is clueless on how to adjust and turn the tide.

11. Jim O'Brien, Boston Celtics -- Score one for the "hands off" approach to coaching exemplified by O'Brien since taking over for Mr. Micromanagement, Rick Pitino.

12. Lenny Wilkens, Toronto Raptors -- Garners instant respect from even the most egotistical NBA pros, but his in-game coaching inspires no confidence.

13. Byron Scott, New Jersey Nets -- Maybe ranked a little high, but his no nonsense approach to coaching and dealing with the media make him one of our favorites.

14. Rick Adelman, Sacramento Kings -- Has been handed two of the most talented squads in the last 15 years and won nothing with them. His teams always appear lost in crunch time.

15. Rudy Tomjanovich, Houston Rockets -- A player's coach if there ever was one, he's had great success in taking the reigns off his players and letting them just play.

Only two of he 9 coaches that beat out pop are still coaching the same teams (except phil again) and of the six of them were fired... ....and only four of the top 15 weren't let go.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-05, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

When was it written?

Let's go Spurs!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-05, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

It didn't make me laugh...
Old 07-19-05, 01:57 AM
MomBear

You should send this to the writer who wrote this... Unless he's been fired.
Old 07-19-05, 02:18 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

LOL at this, he wins a title that year and adjusts well in the game as far as subs etc, and then again this year while others in front of him fall. We used to say we hated his choices in here alot too around those times and questioned him, so we can't really argue with that when it was written. He seemed to prove everyone wrong though.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-19-05, 07:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

byline?

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 07-19-05, 07:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If this was written at the beginning of that season (or even midway), I wouldn't be surprised. PJax has coming off his third three-peat and the Lakers were still the most powerful team in the league.

I do think Doc Rivers and Lenny Wilkens were ranked too high, and Adelman and Pop too low. But that's with two more years worth of retrospect, so I wouldn't say it's the writer's fault for not being able to predict the future!
Old 07-19-05, 07:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

it's obvious, he doesn't know what he's talking about or maybe he doesn't know what to say, so he made something up
Old 07-19-05, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop is the best. Phil and Larry Brown are better in some things, but they both suck in players development.
Old 07-19-05, 08:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

All I have to say is who has the CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY!!! That's all that matters.........I LOVE MY SPURS!!!!!!
Old 07-19-05, 08:32 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I swear the writer got Pop's analysis from this board. I read that a couple of times here, hell, I might have written that after they lost a couple of games in a row last year, if that ever happened.
Old 07-19-05, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That was written in 2002. At the time, it was a pretty accurate assessment of Pop's record. Pop has improved since then.
Old 07-19-05, 09:02 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

That was a VERY accurate assesment of Pop at that point in his career. Pop's flexibility has grown since then.
Old 07-19-05, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs817
10. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs -- Routinely outcoached in the big spot. It seems once things start going downhill for the Spurs, Popovich is clueless on how to adjust and turn the tide.
To be honest, that was accurate of not only Pop, but the Spurs team during the Lakers 3 year run.

It used to be hilarious to watch the Spurs choke in the 4th quarter. Things would go from good to okay to bad to terrible to hopeless all in 1 quarter.

Last edited by A Rod; 07-19-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 09:07 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I see nothing wrong with it.

If it was written in 2002, Pop didn't even have his 2nd title yet and the Spurs have just come from getting their butts kicked twice by the Lakers in the previous 2 playoffs.
Old 07-19-05, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Doc Rivers at #6?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
Old 07-19-05, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

What's amazing is how many coaches from this list retired/were fired/changed teams - 11 of 15!
Old 07-19-05, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop would probably agre with this-
It's easy to make adjustments if you have the players who can adjust and it's hard when you don't

When I look back at that time period- even when the Spurs made it to the western Conference finals in 01, this was a team with serious flaws, that was soon done in with injuries. (I have come to the painful realisation that even without injuries they wouln't have beeten the Lakers- but it would have been more competitive).
That team started a 38 YO point guard with a 35 year old back up who was never the most athletic player.
They also started Danny Ferry at small foward with a Elliott as his backup- a 35 year old slow power foward at SF backed up by a guy comming off a kidney transplant!

The wheels really came off when Anderson went down and Sean sprained his knee- essentialy putting both out of the Lakers series.

Pop has gone from being a good coach to a great coach by having Manu, Tony and a Horry etc.
Old 07-19-05, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

We were an old team back then.
Old 07-19-05, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Pop has changed, and that change was made obvious in Nov. 2001 when he did the unthinkable for Pop anyway and gave the pg postition to a rookie and then the next year he benched the veteran Steve Smith for another young guy Steven Jackson. Those kinds of moves also broke him away from the Larry Brown influence that Pop had about playing young guys. The other thing was the hiring of PJ Carlesimo who became a voice in Pop's ear, where before that, I don't think Pop really listened to anyone other than himself. But yeah, Pop's coaching style has adapted to the times as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-19-05, 12:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think PJ was a big help with our team.
Old 07-19-05, 04:48 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
That was a VERY accurate assesment of Pop at that point in his career. Pop's flexibility has grown since then.
Thats what I said, infact I used to say that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rod
To be honest, that was accurate of not only Pop, but the Spurs team during the Lakers 3 year run.

It used to be hilarious to watch the Spurs choke in the 4th quarter. Things would go from good to okay to bad to terrible to hopeless all in 1 quarter.
It was far from hilarious man .... They would be up 10 at the half, then like 5 or so after three q's, then being down by 4 or so with 1 minute left in the game, it was a pattern at that time it seemed.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 07-19-05, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I enjoyed the other half of this, too: The bottom 15

http://probasketball.about.com/libra...rankings_b.htm
16. Mo Cheeks, Portland Trailblazers -- Managing the Blazers entails more babysitting than actual coaching and the job Cheeks did in holding his team together last season was admirable.

17. Nate McMillan, Seattle Sonics -- Ditto for McMillan who managed to juggle several volatile personalities long enough to make the Playoffs. Look for his skills to shine through this season with Vin Baker no longer loafing around.

18. Alvin Gentry, L.A. Clippers -- Has the reputation of being a hard-ass and he'll need to rule with an iron hand with all the off-court distractions expected this season.

19. Doug Collins, Washington Wizards -- Has rubbed his players the wrong way in past jobs, but in Washington you get the feeling he's a paper coach with Michael Jordan making most of the decisions.

20. Bill Cartwright, Chicago Bulls -- Did a nice job in picking up the pieces of the Tim Floyd era. Should do well in schooling pups Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry but probably won't last long enough to see the fruits of his labor.

21. Paul Silas, Charlotte Hornets -- Strikes you more as the team's grandfather than their coach ... the Hornets would be better served by a more hands-on leader.

22. Sidney Lowe, Memphis Grizzlies -- Tough to get a grip on Lowe's ability since he's always been saddled with miserable teams. He may make some waves with Memphis' raw talent but you get the feeling GM Jerry West has one of his guys waiting in the wings and ready to take over in 2003.

23. Don Chaney, New York Knicks -- Chaney has a winning track record but he's just not the right guy for the Knicks with the consequence-free environment he's created in New York.

24. Frank Johnson, Phoenix Suns -- Only this low because he hasn't coached that long. Johnson will be tested this year by a roster of big names with diminishing skills who should sit in favor of Phoenix's younger talent.

25. Isiah Thomas, Indiana Pacers -- If Isiah weren't Isiah he would've been fired long ago. Fighting just to get into the Playoff with a squad with this kind of talent is just inexcusable and his in-game decisions are suspect at best.

26. John Lucas, Cleveland Cavaliers -- Living off past success at turning around troubled programs and players.

27. Lon Krueger, Atlanta Hawks -- Just doesn't belong in the big leagues and will surely be out of job should his Hawks not step up as Playoff contenders.

28/29. Eric Musselman, Golden State Warriors and Jeff Bzdelik, Denver Nuggets -- Haven't coached a pro game yet so they sit at the bottom with grades of Incomplete

Boy, you just can't say enough bad about Isiah's management/coaching skills.

Last edited by shelden; 07-19-05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 09:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Zeke really was terrible, I hated his wishy washy starting lineups. Grrr.