News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-05, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Michael Finley: It would be HUGE 4 Us

People have posted threads about Michael Finley being a Free Agent, but I wanted to reiterate how great of a pick up this could be potentially for the Spurs. The guy can still play. While he isn't an All Star anymore, he would challenge Barry and Devin (If we re-sign him) for minutes.

Does anyone know if he has shown interest privately to perhaps playing for the Spurs ?

Now that we our deep at the 4 and 5, I think it would be nice to get some help at the 2 an 3.

Last edited by tmtcsc; 07-18-05 at 05:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-05, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If he is released by the Mavs the rumor is he will reunite with Nash in Phoenix as reported by the Associated Press July 15.

Updated: July 15, 2005, 8:23 PM ET
Amnesty clause offers Mavs a potential outAssociated Press

DALLAS -- As much as the Dallas Mavericks appreciate what Michael Finley has done for their franchise, simple economics make it likely they will soon say goodbye to their longtime leader............

.........The bright side for Finley is that he would get to pick his next team -- perhaps reuniting with Nash in Phoenix, where he began his career until being traded to Dallas for Jason Kidd, or maybe returning to his hometown, Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2109127

Last edited by doozie; 07-18-05 at 05:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-05, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

phx can have him, he's washed up. he never knew how to play D and his O is almost gone
Old 07-18-05, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs win again
he's washed up. he never knew how to play D and his O is almost gone
Prepare youself. I said the same thing once and got flamed.
Old 07-18-05, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
If he is released by the Mavs the rumor is he will reunite with Nash in Phoenix.
Just what the Suns need, another streak shooter.
Old 07-18-05, 05:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
that's fine. people are always evaluating players on their own fond memories instead of the facts. I dont have patience to argue with these types as they dont listen to logic
Old 07-18-05, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Finley is still a good player. If you sign him, you're not signing him for what he did in 1996. You're signing him because he's a veteran who can still shoot the ball.
No one would have wanted to sign Big Dog for the same reasons, but I thought he was an OK pickup. Players who have never played defense suddenly learn how to when they are on a team with a good defensive foundation. And it's no accident.
I'm not sure if Finley would be the kind of player who could crack the regular rotation, but I wouldn't mind seeing him here.
Old 07-18-05, 05:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i think the spurs would benefit more from finley then phx would, but i dont really care where he goes because he is washed up.
Old 07-18-05, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

F finley
Old 07-18-05, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
Finley is still a good player. If you sign him, you're not signing him for what he did in 1996. You're signing him because he's a veteran who can still shoot the ball.
No one would have wanted to sign Big Dog for the same reasons, but I thought he was an OK pickup. Players who have never played defense suddenly learn how to when they are on a team with a good defensive foundation. And it's no accident.
I'm not sure if Finley would be the kind of player who could crack the regular rotation, but I wouldn't mind seeing him here.
did you actually watch the suns-mavs series? finley was terrible in that series as a starter (with the exception of game 2). so what makes you think less playing time will make him better.
go back and look at finleys shooting % for the playoffs, he is done. he faded against the suns scoring 11, 9 , 7, 7 in the last 4 games playing around 32 mpg. please show me how he is not done
Old 07-18-05, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM21
F finley
Analysis at its best.
Old 07-18-05, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Good luck getting him to sign somewhere for the vet minnimum.

If he wants more than that? No thanks.
Old 07-18-05, 05:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i dont think we need him that much, id rather have a bulky sf, if we didnt have barry, id be all about it
Old 07-18-05, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Don't need or want him.
Old 07-18-05, 06:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Do you think Finley would accept come off the bench?
Old 07-18-05, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
did you actually watch the suns-mavs series? finley was terrible in that series as a starter (with the exception of game 2). so what makes you think less playing time will make him better.
Repeat this, plug in Horry for Finley, and Spurs-Lakers '03 for suns-mavs.
Old 07-18-05, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
Do you think Finley would accept come off the bench?
Of course he would.
Old 07-18-05, 06:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I just dont see the Spurs getting Finley.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Old 07-18-05, 06:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Of course he would.
So I think the Spurs should offer the rest of the MLE to get him
Old 07-18-05, 06:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I personally think he would be an excellent option. You have to remember that you are evaluating his past performance as a starter. If he comes off the bench, he will be fresh and give more of his all for that time that he is on the floor instead of having to save his energy for the rest of the game. Almost what Horry does for the Spurs in the playoffs as he pretty much coasted during the regular season.

I don't know how he would match up in terms of comparing to Barry or Devin, but he would be a great bench player that spells Devin if he does leave. Besides, he is still an excellent shooter and immediate scorer who just happens to shoot a high FT%. That sounds good to me for the min. It could be a possibility since he is a local resident of Texas although I could see him going to the Suns.
Old 07-18-05, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

As other have said he won't come here over a combination of playing time and $, but the Spurs should still lob him a phonecall. He's not nearly what he once was, but he's still got some game left in him. If for some unforseen reason he did want to come here for vet min it's a no brainer to pick him up.
Old 07-18-05, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
go back and look at finleys shooting % for the playoffs, he is done. he faded against the suns scoring 11, 9 , 7, 7 in the last 4 games playing around 32 mpg. please show me how he is not done
Maybe he played too many minutes during the season (36.8 MPG)? I wouldn't go and say he's done. He!!, people thought Big Dog was done, yet he was useful. Last year statically was Finley lowest scoring average (15.6 PPG) since 96-97 (15.0 PPG). Hey, this was even Timmy's lowest scoring average (20.3), of the season since he's been in the league. Does that mean he's washed up?

I agree if we have the opportunity to sign him, it's a no brainer. IMO
Old 07-18-05, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUROFTHAMOMENT
Maybe he played too many minutes during the season (36.8 MPG)? I wouldn't go and say he's done. He!!, people thought Big Dog was done, yet he was useful. Last year statically was Finley lowest scoring average (15.6 PPG) since 96-97 (15.0 PPG). Hey, this was even Timmy's lowest scoring average (20.3), of the season since he's been in the league. Does that mean he's washed up?

I agree if we have the opportunity to sign him, it's a no brainer. IMO
I agree also. I think you have to give Finley a little slack because he did have a few nagging injuries last year that really hampered him. And as we all know, injuries sometimes affect a player in terms of basketball shape and how they perform. It all depends on the player but I know for a fact he was going through some hamstring and ankle injuries during the year and near the end of the year too. You can't say that it didn't have some effect on him.
Old 07-18-05, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornonmyankle
Does Oberto have the same agent as Scola? If so, this can dramatically effect negotiations.

Any chance Spurs bring them both over?
Have we not tied up half the MLE exception on Oberto ?

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared dream before..."

-E.A. Poe
Old 07-18-05, 06:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

the same people saying Finley is washed up are probably the same guys who thought Horry was washed up, thank god the spurs FO didn't listen to you 2 years ago.
Old 07-18-05, 07:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

no scola has a different agent, oberto has the same agent as manu herb rudoy (I believe thats his name) as for finely i just find his game at this stage of his career too similar to barry, and would take a healthy devon over finely at this stage of his career and there is no way all three of them will be on the roster, finely wants to play.

my bad typo finley not finely
Old 07-18-05, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yet another reason I love Cubes... he seizes opportunities to right his wrongs.

I'm over it. The AJ youth movement is underway. 'Quis time to earn your paycheck buddy.

Mike Finley is not Bigshot Bob. Mike Finley is Allan Houston.
Old 07-18-05, 09:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If Mike Finley joins the Spurs for 99¢, I won't complain; my trust in the Spurs' front office is the highest it has ever been.

I'd rather have James Posey though. I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Posey becoming Bowen's apprentice.
Old 07-18-05, 10:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know that Finley and Bowen would be fast friends given their on-court past... ( although Fin would likely love to never be defended by Bruce again. ) As far as him going back to Phx or Chi-town, that sounded like the AP writer's speculation, not Finley's.
Old 07-18-05, 11:20 PM
Banned

He had serious ankle problems all last season and had surgery when the season ended. Expect him to have much more bounce in his game than he did last season no matter where he is. He's definitely better than LJIII and Devin Brown. He'd be a great pickup to spread the defense.
Old 07-18-05, 11:41 PM

Money isn't really an issue. He's still getting that 51 million regardless. It's not like that just barely makes it to feed the children.

He'll likely go to a team that has a good chance of winning. Phoenix is a very probable place.

If, which is very unlikey, he became a Spur, the team would benefit greatly from him coming off the bench. He's very dependable and is a good free throw shooter. And his defense is atleast decent, and if you stick him in a good team defense, he can do fine. Ask Glen Robinson about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossu
I'd rather have James Posey though. I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Posey becoming Bowen's apprentice.
A year + player option left for him though. Only through trade can we get him. I don't think its impossible if you dangle Nazr, which Spurs likely won't want to pay the big money he should get offered(unless they trade Rasho-don't want to pay two centers more than 5mill a year).

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-19-05, 12:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
Analysis at its best.
Good reply

I think that Finley will make a lot more sense for the Suns.....after Joe Johnson signs with Atlanta.
Old 07-19-05, 12:24 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

If a player of Finley's caliber comes along, you make the effort to get him. No questions asked. Even if his "caliber" isn't quite what it used to be. He was at one time one of the NBA's most deadly shooters.

And due to the new CBA's one time amnesty rule, if you can pick up a max contract player for only a couple $million, you do it.

Ask yourself this.......late 4th quarter....Duncan is struggling, Parker cannot get in the lane or penetrate.....Barry is shooting bricks.....Manu ican't do it all by himself....Spurs can't hit the broad side of a barn.......would it not be nice to have a Finley making things interesting?

Spurs have a good history of taking good players at or near the end of their career and maximizing their productivity.

Last edited by To be named later; 07-19-05 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 12:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd love to see Finley as a Spur. The Spurs need a SF and they won't get someone better than Finley unless they work out a trade.
Old 07-19-05, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Pipe dream. Finley's ego won't let him get past the SBC doors.

You really think Finley is going to accept a role off the bench? Don't think so.

"Bring it"
Old 07-19-05, 02:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS4
Pipe dream. Finley's ego won't let him get past the SBC doors.

You really think Finley is going to accept a role off the bench? Don't think so.
Finley's never been an egotistical twit, and only an egotistical twit assumes they will be a starter their entire career. I'd be surprised if he didn't acknowledge that he's old in NBA terms. I think overall, Mike is a smart enough guy to "get over himself."

But he'll never be a Spur, for different reasons.
Old 07-19-05, 03:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
If a player of Finley's caliber comes along, you make the effort to get him. No questions asked. Even if his "caliber" isn't quite what it used to be. He was at one time one of the NBA's most deadly shooters.

Ask yourself this.......late 4th quarter....Duncan is struggling, Parker cannot get in the lane or penetrate.....Barry is shooting bricks.....Manu ican't do it all by himself....Spurs can't hit the broad side of a barn.......would it not be nice to have a Finley making things interesting?

Spurs have a good history of taking good players at or near the end of their career and maximizing their productivity.

which is why i am baffled to see that Glenn Robinson is still not signed. He is a much better scorer than Finley and showed flashes of what could be if he has an entire season to get used to his new team.
Old 07-19-05, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
which is why i am baffled to see that Glenn Robinson is still not signed. He is a much better scorer than Finley and showed flashes of what could be if he has an entire season to get used to his new team.
Does Robinson even want to stay? I'm sure Spurs haven't seen enough of him to give him anything too big. And then after July 22nd, when people can be signed, more things will make sense.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-19-05, 03:18 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Mavs don't want this clown for a reason. Let him go. The further away, the better.
Old 07-19-05, 07:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

A lot of these criticisms could have been levelled at Big Dog and yet he panned out just fine. As long as the contract is feasible I'd love him as a veteran player.
Old 07-19-05, 07:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Make sure Finley's locker is right next to Bruce's.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 07-19-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
I don't know how much Big Dog is asking, but he probably can get a $5-7-9 million dollar contract, somewhere. Ask yourself: How much would Isaiah Thomas overpay for him?

Whereas Finley......we could sign for the minimum (Since he'll be drawing a check from Dallas still)

Plus, Finly can create his own shot better than Big Dog, who's more of a Barry type spot up shooter.
Old 07-19-05, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Does Robinson even want to stay? I'm sure Spurs haven't seen enough of him to give him anything too big. And then after July 22nd, when people can be signed, more things will make sense.

Yes, he does.

He's not high on the Spurs list though.

Devin, GRob and Linton are all on hold right now awaiting what happens now until July 22nd.
Old 07-19-05, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
the same people saying Finley is washed up are probably the same guys who thought Horry was washed up, thank god the spurs FO didn't listen to you 2 years ago.
just how many big shots or championships does finley have again?
fins washed up, no way would I compare him to Horry

I actually thought Horry was way over used by PJ his last year in LA. he played 40+ his last season in LA compared to ~36 by finley. I really liked the idea of the Spurs getting Horry and was only disappointed when Horry faded in 04.

Last edited by spurs win again; 07-19-05 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Hasn't Finley made a career of playoff disappearing acts? No thanks.
Old 07-19-05, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka-Seltzer
Hasn't Finley made a career of playoff disappearing acts? No thanks.
YUP! I doubt he wants to come here anyway. I think he wants to play with little Stevie in PHX anyway.
Old 07-19-05, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
a guy who averaged 16,4 and 4 and 40% from three is not washed up....Is Manu washed up?
Old 07-19-05, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame05
a guy who averaged 16,4 and 4 and 40% from three is not washed up....Is Manu washed up?
but in the playoffs.......
Old 07-19-05, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Finley was injured last season, he had bone spurs removed recently which is way he had such an off year (if you wanna call it that) last season.
Old 07-19-05, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

he averaged the same..he is a career 16PPG scorer in the playoffs and has shot 40% from three for his career...he has never been a superstar but he has always be soild in the season and playoffs