News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-05, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just got back from the Spurs-Seattle Summer League Game

I live up here in Utah and had the chance today to catch the game. A couple of thoughts I had on the game.

-Karoulev or however you spell it, (last year's draft pick I believe) was only given a couple of minutes and looked AWFUL. He seemed totally lost. I'm thinking part of it might be a language barrier.

-Britton Johnson has a sweet 3pt stroke and hustled, but his defensive foot speed was terrible. (everyone was able to take him off the dribble.

-Jamal Sampson actually looked pretty tough, played good defense and crashed the boards. However, there were a couple of times he seemed to have a bad attitude toward refs and the other players and such.

-Robert Swift (from the Sonics) played aggressive, but again didn't seem to have the basketball IQ (he was called for several fouls for trying to deny position) he's young though and should improve.

-Guard play was generally ok, but there were several fast breaks that the players made stupid passes, etc.

-Finally, the Spurs won by 2 after giving away some points they found themselves up by 2 and forced the Sonics into a terrible shot that was airballed (maybe partially blocked). Defense does win games

Anyone else go, see the game, have any impressions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-05, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

What kind of center is Karoulev? Finesse? Brute? Any shooting touch? Can he pass?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-16-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Here in Brazil there were a talk that the NT PG, Nezinho would play for the Spurs. Did you see him there?

He's a good 3PT shooter but he's not tough enough to make any NBA team. He must add some muscle to get a chance
Old 07-16-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
What kind of center is Karoulev? Finesse? Brute? Any shooting touch? Can he pass?
can he run the floor or is he slow and stiff?
Old 07-16-05, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Here's the brazilian player:

Last edited by Spurs Brazil; 07-16-05 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Karaulov is one the more useless picks of the Spurs in the last couple of years, I can guarantee that and I haven't seen him play one minute.

Robertas Javtokas is an athletic PF/C who is almost as long and just two years older. He has played consistently for his club and is a good basketball player. He also played decently at the Olympics. As long as he doesn't come over to play for the Spurs, Karaulov can't even dream of it. Karaulov is just some long dude who tries his luck with basketball.

Last edited by Manuac; 07-16-05 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 07:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would cut Karaulov some slack. It's not easy to get into the rhythm of things and have ice water in your veins when you've been riding the bench all game.

Believe me...I know. When I played, I was like the 12th man off the bench
Old 07-16-05, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey 2 blocks in 3 minutes?!?!? I know there some stat geek out there that figured out his per 48 min potential!!!

he's also fighting
jet lag
language barrier
culture shock
home sickness

Lets see how he does the rest of the week.
Old 07-16-05, 11:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
Karaulov is a stick figure. 7'1" and about 215 lbs. last time I saw. He isn't going to turn into anything, but at the end of the second round, it's no loss.
Old 07-17-05, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Who is coaching the Spurs summer team?
Old 07-17-05, 02:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozie
Who is coaching the Spurs summer team?
Monty Williams.
Old 07-17-05, 10:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nope, didn't see it. I live in San Antonio of course, but thanks for your update. Summer League Games sound kinda fun to go to.
Old 07-17-05, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Jamal Sampson actually looked pretty tough, played good defense and crashed the boards. However, there were a couple of times he seemed to have a bad attitude toward refs and the other players and such.
didn't he play for charlotte last year? atleast he has some experience.
Old 07-18-05, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Sampson was on the lakers squad last year.

Karoulev is definately a "finesse" player. the few times he was in the game, the sonics bigs were able to beat his attempt at a block out. in fact, karoulev even had a lane violation on a free throw, but the sonics still got the rebound. I was totally unimpressed with him, i'm thinking the idea is that he's a dirk diggler type player, he had a decent shot in warm-ups, but he's not even a poor man's dirk. Hopefully some time and experience will help.
Old 07-18-05, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton
Sampson was on the lakers squad last year.
That was 04... Last season he played with the Bobcats. Pretty good rebounder, not much of an offensive threat though.
Old 07-18-05, 07:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

oops, sorry, you're right about sampson. Yeah, he played strong posting up against swift, the 2 had a pretty good battle going, but the guards hardly ever got him the ball.

I was also impressed with this guard named Hamilton. i don't know much about him, but he was TENACIOUS on the d-end and played under control on the o-end. Overall, I thought he had a better chance at making the team than barrett (based on the 1 game i saw).
Old 07-18-05, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

steefposton, can you confirm that Britton Johnsen looks like Shawn Bradley? I saw his NBA.com picture and thought Bradley immediately.
Old 07-18-05, 07:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
steefposton, can you confirm that Britton Johnsen looks like Shawn Bradley? I saw his NBA.com picture and thought Bradley immediately.
i thought the same thing too.
Old 07-18-05, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoh
i thought the same thing too.
I just read that he too was on a mormon mission, so I guess they are both from Utah and could be family?
Old 07-18-05, 08:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

does anyone know anything about Ondrej Starosta? he had a good game 15pts, 2blks and 7rbs i wonder if he has a shot to make the team, or could he possibly be a guy the spurs sign and send to the D League for a year or 2?
Old 07-18-05, 08:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

July 18, Salt Lake City, -- Britton Johnsen continues to have a stellar summer league with 21 points and 8 rebounds as the San Antonio Spurs dropped the Atlanta Hawks 79-71 in game seven of the 2005 Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue. The Spurs improved to 2-0, while the Hawks fall to 1-2.

San Antonio set a strong precedent in the first quarter, doubling Atlanta 24-12. Johnsen had 10 points, including two three pointers early. Atlanta constantly tried to get going several times but came up short, as Gyasi Cline-Heard went 2-6 at the line and Childress missed a monster dunk late. Second-year star forward Josh Smith put up six, and center Arthur Johnson chipped in four in the quarter, making up the majority of the Hawks' scoring.

Despite clumsy ball handling and turnovers, Atlanta closed the gap in the second. Salim Stoudamire came out fast and furious with an impossible three and quick field goal, both in the first three minutes. Josh Childress and Josh smith contributed four a piece for the Hawks. On the other end Johnsen continued to please the Salt Lake crowd as he led the Spurs with six more points, despite missing three consecutive threes. But San Antonio still managed a decisive 40-29 lead at the half.

Atlanta’s troubles continued into the third when Childress was pulled after committing three fouls within the first three minutes, giving him five. Refs tightened thei rgrip on the game, slowing the pace and dishing out 21 total fouls. But Atlanta finally heard from first-round selection Marvin Williams, who went 2-7 from the field and 3-4 from the line. Hawk Donta Smith also stepped up with his first six points of the game. The two youngsters' contributions helped Atlanta pull narrow the gap to just 10, 58-48. More importantly, they seized momentum heading into the fourth.

Atlanta really caught fire early in the fourth when rookie workhorse Gyasi Cline-Heard threw down two dunks from under the basket in the first minute. Cline-Heard had 12 points and seven rebounds in the fourth, and almost single-handedly carried the team back into contention.

The Hawks came within one point late, 67-66, with an impressive high-flying putback dunk from Childress, but San Antonio answered with a quick four points. Atlanta came close again, 71-70, with a basket and foul shot from Cline-Heard with a minute and a half left in the game. But the Spurs hit their free-throws down the stretch to close out the game. Down by as much as 17, the Hawks valiant effort came up just short.

The Spurs put a stop to Atlanta’s run and closed the game out at 79-71.
Old 07-18-05, 08:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Ondrej Starosta from the Czech Republic, 26 years old, 7 '1 and 255 lbs, playing for Châlons en Champagne in the French League:

http://www.lnb.fr/index.php?pid=9&id...om=2004&type=1

1st in rebounds/minute
6st in value/minute

Half his field goals were dunks and is in production almost equal to co-seven footer Senegalese Boniface N'Dong of the same French league, who played for the Denver Nuggets summer league team.
Old 07-18-05, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

are there any pictures from the Rocky Mountain Review?
Old 07-19-05, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

yes, both are mormons, both look alike (but then again all mormons look alike)
seriously, he had another good game against atlanta, but his feet were always slow. wing players were able to drive by him every time. Him and bradley aren't family though. I met shawn and his mom and sister once. All of them were huge, his sister plays volleyball (or did several years ago)