SpursReport.com
Old 07-05-05, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Johnson, Dalembert, Chandler

Will they get offered max contracts?

By who?

Will their teams match?

Sound off!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-05, 10:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Joe Johnson, I presume.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-05, 10:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

joe johnson? no but he will get manu type money

dalembert no, injuries

chandler maybe, not enough work ethic
Old 07-05-05, 10:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

all the bad trade threads lets get malik back for rasho
Old 07-05-05, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Joe Johnson turned down Manu money last offseason. He'll get something closer to the max. I'm not sure he'll actually get it, but he'll come close.

Dalembert and Chandler will probably end up with something starting between $8-$9 mil.
Old 07-05-05, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Only thing that keeps Joe Johnson from getting max money is he is a restricted free agent and teams are afraid Phoenix will match. He is young, versatle, plays both offense and defense and can shoot the three. Cavs are a possibility to throw ridiculous money if Redd decides to stay with Bucks.

Dalembert will get near max numbers, especially if Philly will consider a sign & trade deal. NY would be very interested in this route as Isiah will pay.

Chandler will not get max money, but has many suiters. Problem is it will take near max money for Chicago not to match. If I'm a team, I would offer both Curry and Chandler and see who Chicago balks at.
Old 07-05-05, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Joe Johnson will get a nice contract, but has done absolutely nothing to warrant a max contract IMO.

Whatever team throws the max at Johnson is stupid.

He's a nice player, but hardly unique and hardly irreplaceable.

Dalambert and Chandler are not max players by any stretch, but should command anywhere from $7-10 million per.
Old 07-05-05, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Micheal Redd.
Not a max player either. Good player, but not exactly one of our very best.

This is the problem with the NBA - they throw big money at good players, when they should be saving up for the great ones.

I really don't know how this stupidity of max contracts to non-franchise players is ever going to stop.

It's killing the league.

Just because you can - doesn't mean you should.
Old 07-05-05, 11:52 PM
SpursReport Rookie

ah, let the rest of the league overpay, and then choke on the multiple max contracts they give out. While the Spurs wrap everybody up with fair contracts but nobody gets vastly overpaid.

I'm dying to see how the Suns keep maxing out and how they're going to get the last few pieces they need. Especially when they're paying a mid-30's pg who may have durability concerns the next few years...

And the Heat, really going to improve when they've got $30M tied up in a rapidly aging huge man. Quick - how many very, very large players stayed good into their late 30's? Only if their game was more finesse (think sky-hooks...).

I think our biggest challengers the next few years will be Detroit and Indy, dark horses Denver and maybe Utah. Who else is young enough to improve with what they've got, and flexible enough to add some key pieces?
Old 07-05-05, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not one of those players should get a max contract. If i could take my pick, i would choose Chandler, then D'Alembert, then Johnson. The first two are young, athletic, very good defensive big men. They are also injury prone. However, the potential is there, and i'd love to have either one, though it's not a realistic wish. The third one is an all around guard, with nice skills but nothing, nothing that makes me think he will ever be a dominant player. And aren't those what max contracts are for? you could make a case for the bigs, sometime down the road, but please... Johnson? not unless it's 20 years ago and his first name is Earvin.
Old 07-06-05, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocat
ah, let the rest of the league overpay, and then choke on the multiple max contracts they give out. While the Spurs wrap everybody up with fair contracts but nobody gets vastly overpaid.

I'm dying to see how the Suns keep maxing out and how they're going to get the last few pieces they need. Especially when they're paying a mid-30's pg who may have durability concerns the next few years...

And the Heat, really going to improve when they've got $30M tied up in a rapidly aging huge man. Quick - how many very, very large players stayed good into their late 30's? Only if their game was more finesse (think sky-hooks...).

I think our biggest challengers the next few years will be Detroit and Indy, dark horses Denver and maybe Utah. Who else is young enough to improve with what they've got, and flexible enough to add some key pieces?
I don't care that it helps the Spurs. I don't look at it from a selfish point of view.

It's hurting the league, and that's the most important issue.
Old 07-06-05, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
One player comes to mind who is vastly overpaid with the Spurs.. Tony Parker

IMHO- Tony should have Manu's contract and Manu should have Tony's contract.....

Henny Youngman
Old 07-06-05, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by saSpurstx

IMHO- Tony should have Manu's contract and Manu should have Tony's contract.....
Probably, but part of Tonys contract had to with his age and potential - he would have gotten similar offers on the market as an extremely young point. I'm not saying it's right, but it's what the market offers.
Old 07-06-05, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ridiculous comment, considering his contract hasnt even started yet. See how the guy performs and THEN judge whether or not his pay was reasonable.

Given how he performed this season compared to his pay, he was an absolute bargain. He doesnt even have to perform on par with his salary next season for it still to be a smart move.
Old 07-06-05, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Joe Johnson will get a nice contract, but has done absolutely nothing to warrant a max contract IMO.

Whatever team throws the max at Johnson is stupid.

He's a nice player, but hardly unique and hardly irreplaceable.

Dalambert and Chandler are not max players by any stretch, but should command anywhere from $7-10 million per.
RichB- You have a very good point. However, Phoenix has a problem-if and please note I say IF some one ; Let's say Cleveland for example dangles near to or max money to Joe Johnson. I figure the Suns will equal the offer....Here is the Catch -22 for them;

What about Amare. They will have to max Amare on the next contract. So which way do you go. Sign a player who was a key part of their offense-which Joe Johnson was or dump somebody. Remember Shawn Marion has a big contract as well. So who stays. And who goes.
Old 07-06-05, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Ridiculous comment, considering his contract hasnt even started yet. See how the guy performs and THEN judge whether or not his pay was reasonable.

Maybe if Tony Parker was more consistent in the Playoffs, Speedy and Kerr saved our A$$ in 2003, Hart and Ward couldn't in 2004, Anyways I don't believe the more you pay a player the better they perform (i.e. M.Rose, J.Jackson)

Henny Youngman
Old 07-06-05, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Micheal Redd.
Quote:
They also presented free-agent sharpshooter Michael Redd with a maximium contract offer in the afternoon, ESPN.com has learned.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2099115
Old 07-06-05, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Manu is actually underpaid, Parker would be getting near max offers from teams this summer had we not locked him up. Its how the market works. Parker is one of the few Spurs actually getting market value.
What are you talking about??

All I'm saying last summer Tony should have got Manu's contract and Manu should have got Tony's....I said nothing about this summer....

Henny Youngman
Old 07-06-05, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe if Tony Parker was more consistent in the Playoffs, Speedy and Kerr saved our A$$ in 2003, Hart and Ward couldn't in 2004, Anyways I don't believe the more you pay a player the better they perform (i.e. M.Rose, J.Jackson)
Did you read my comment? I said that this year, Tony Parker earned the crap salary he received. Its stupid to say that Tony doesnt deserve his contract extension at this point in time, because he hasnt received a penny of it yet.
Old 07-06-05, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Did you read my comment? I said that this year, Tony Parker earned the crap salary he received. Its stupid to say that Tony doesnt deserve his contract extension at this point in time, because he hasnt received a penny of it yet.
I'm talking about dollars per year not the lenght....

Henny Youngman
Old 07-06-05, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounorthside
RichB- You have a very good point. However, Phoenix has a problem-if and please note I say IF some one ; Let's say Cleveland for example dangles near to or max money to Joe Johnson. I figure the Suns will equal the offer....Here is the Catch -22 for them;

What about Amare. They will have to max Amare on the next contract. So which way do you go. Sign a player who was a key part of their offense-which Joe Johnson was or dump somebody. Remember Shawn Marion has a big contract as well. So who stays. And who goes.
As long as their owner is fine paying it then it doesn't matter too much...their 3 max players are all very young and have alot of potenial. So when they max out Amare which will be soon and if Johnson gets the max they will have 3 max players but does that matter when all 3 are all young and are all improving. Mainly Amare and Johnson. Sure it means they only have the MLE for quite a few years but guys want to play in Phoenix so i don't think it is a problem
Old 07-06-05, 12:06 PM
FrenchConnection

Quote:

besides game 7 of the finals, he has been pretty consistent. Remember that Manu and Tim had bad games in the finals too. TP is improving every year and he is only 23. At the time, he signed his contract he was having better stats than Manu, he also had a better regular season than Manu. So it is too bad for Manu that he had to sign his contract last season and good for the Spurs otherwise they wouldn't have been able to afford him.