News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-05-05, 01:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Question about the Triangle Offense

I'm doing a report about it and I know some people have asked questions about it before. Since we're in the offseason now and new material is slow to come, I was wondering if anybody would be interested in reading an article explaining its intricacies, or even a series of articles explaining various offensive play systems. Would at least keep me busy writing new material
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-05, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I would be marginally interested in the Triangle.

I'd be more interested in learning some B-Ball fundamentals......obtain a better understanding of what is happening out there on the court.

Like during the finals, sure I saw Rip catch the ball and shoot. But...... how did he get open? 3 screens and a moving pick? Sure.....but how do you COACH 5 guys to make it happen?

I probably appreciate or observe only 10% of what is happening out there on the court.......help me observe the other 90% and I'll get more out of it than learning some details of the Triangle.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-05, 01:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The funny part about the way Rip uses screens is the Triangle makes a lot of it unecessary :P

But I get your point. I don't think it's a bad idea, and it's a long summer, so there's a lot of basketball fundamentals to cover
Old 07-05-05, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

what to be named later said.

but explaining the triangle offense is cool. if youre a writer or whatnot, go for it. ill read it... maybe you can shed some new light on the subject, i dunno.
Old 07-05-05, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I would be very much interested in. Actually I was wondering what it is. The triangle offense. And if Phil had so much success doing it, why can't we do it?
Old 07-05-05, 01:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Actually the best idea WOULD be to go with fundamentals first since all great offensive systems rely on fundamental play. Then later I can do system explanations.

For kimberly, really quickly, the Triangle Offense anchors itself with a strong post presence. It relies on a lot of motion away from the ball, including using its secondary post presence (like its forwards) to set screens that allow a guard to get to the basket without the ball and receive a pass for an easy score. It also uses its primary post presence (usually its center) to free up its main ball handler (usually its point guard) for baseline drives or open shots. In one single play (the Offsides Triangle) you have two offensive options for your point guard, one offensive option for your center, two offensive options for your shooting guard as well as backup options for your forwards. It's actually quite sophisticated and relies on good passing, spacing and lots of motion.
Old 07-05-05, 01:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Personally.....I think the Triangle Offense is a little overhyped.

It's a good offense, but you could run the Hypotenuse Offense and it would look brilliant if you had Shaq and Kobe, or Micahel Freaking Jordan involved.

Install the Triangle in Atlanta........if they became a force to reckon with as a result then I'd say it lives up to the hype.
Old 07-05-05, 02:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I want to know what makes the triangle different than the motion offense? I just don't see much of a difference.
Old 07-05-05, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I believe most people here would apreciate such articles. I know I would for sure.
Old 07-05-05, 03:15 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Personally.....I think the Triangle Offense is a little overhyped.

It's a good offense, but you could run the Hypotenuse Offense and it would look brilliant if you had Shaq and Kobe, or Micahel Freaking Jordan involved.

Install the Triangle in Atlanta........if they became a force to reckon with as a result then I'd say it lives up to the hype.
I have to agree with that.

Although certain systems are quite effective, they are not inflappable. You can't just 5 stick NBA players into it, and expect it to even be marginally effective.

Didn't the Bulls insist on running the triangle in the post-Jordan era with Tim Floyd?? It didn't work very well for them.

Ultimately you need players as talented as Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe to make it effective. No one had won an NBA Title using this system before the Bulls did in 91 - coincedence?

BTW Jason, what are you doing a report on the Triangle Offense for??
Old 07-05-05, 04:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No one won an NBA title, but the triangle existed long before the Bulls. Not many NBA teams ran complex offenses back then, and not many do now even. Bottom line about the tri is it wins. It was successful in the 50s, 60s and what have you as Tex Winter's (Phil's right hand man) triple post offense. I mean sh1t, Tex wrote the book on it in 1968. I'd love to read an article about it Jason.

Of course, you can pretty much develop a good understanding of it just from these links.:
http://www.bbhighway.com/Talk/Coachi...ngle_intro.asp
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hoopta...ycont3post.asp
http://www.coachingcards.com/trpoof.html
http://www.superduperhoops.com/details.php?id=01728
http://www.bbhighway.com/Talk/Coachi...h/atc_q366.asp
http://espn.go.com/ncb/2003/0128/1499926.html
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...le_offense.htm
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/triangle.asp
Old 07-05-05, 04:08 AM
Banned

Dallas tried to run the triangle a few years ago and it didn't even last a season.
Old 07-05-05, 04:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaWatt
Dallas tried to run the triangle a few years ago and it didn't even last a season.
It takes at least 2 years for a team to learn the options.
Old 07-05-05, 04:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

only one question:
may I translate it into Chinese for those who can't read in English?
a ton of thanks
Old 07-05-05, 04:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Actually the best idea WOULD be to go with fundamentals first since all great offensive systems rely on fundamental play. Then later I can do system explanations.

For kimberly, really quickly, the Triangle Offense anchors itself with a strong post presence. It relies on a lot of motion away from the ball, including using its secondary post presence (like its forwards) to set screens that allow a guard to get to the basket without the ball and receive a pass for an easy score. It also uses its primary post presence (usually its center) to free up its main ball handler (usually its point guard) for baseline drives or open shots. In one single play (the Offsides Triangle) you have two offensive options for your point guard, one offensive option for your center, two offensive options for your shooting guard as well as backup options for your forwards. It's actually quite sophisticated and relies on good passing, spacing and lots of motion.
Is it so much different from what we do? We do have post presence and we do cut to the basket too. I really don't know what is the difference.
Old 07-05-05, 01:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Why YES! I would love to hear more about the intricacies of the Triangle.
The Triangle is a beautiful thing, I must say!

Sincerely,
Ed Grimley

Old 07-05-05, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Is it so much different from what we do? We do have post presence and we do cut to the basket too. I really don't know what is the difference.
Remember when we kept running isolation plays at the top of the key and had guys running into walls of defenders? The triangle spaces the defense so that won't happen.

Anyway, I'll do it eventually. I'll start with the fundamentals stuff.
Old 07-05-05, 01:53 PM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Two words:

Illegal Defense
Old 07-05-05, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Might I suggest an article about the intricacies of NBA officiating. The preparation, the rotations, the angles, the positioning, the mechanics (which are pretty much non-existent in the NBA), the training, the rules...etc. I think with the countless "blame-the-ref" threads and posts we get here, it might help some if they had a little more of an understanding of the profession and the individuals involved.
Old 07-06-05, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Rookie

JasonR, it would be great to read articles about those topics. Fundamentals, different offences and defences are difficult to learn for a guy that discovered basket when he was +20 years old in soccer’s country.

If you can include some diagrams and/or videos it would be easy for some of us... I'm sure SR people would help with some material and we would be the most knowledgeable fans of the NBA.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!