News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-04-05, 10:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton

what do you guys think of the greatest(at least most entertaining) announcer/analyst of all time? sean elliott is right up there too.
could you imagine the team of walton and elliott? it would be worth watching the game just so you could hear what they say.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-05, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I've never heard Elliot before, but I like Kerr's commentator. Walton is supposed to be an award-winning commentator. I don't mind his comments when they are objective and unintentionally hilarious (ie: throw it down, big man!) but when he starts to compliment 1 team exclusively, I get a little annoyed. Of course that's true with any commentator - Hubie - .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-05, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
what do you guys think of the greatest(at least most entertaining) announcer/analyst of all time? .
Thank goodness for mute buttons.
Old 07-04-05, 10:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

He is a good commentator with a lot of info. The way he also can remember and bring all those old players back too. Even if I don't know many of them....He seems to be really intelligent actually.
But he is a little too exaggerating. But his voice is very exciting to hear during the game. Even if he always says...that's a legend for everybody...and stuff...it is exciting and you get into the game.
Old 07-04-05, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

bill walton is nothing but a showoff who wants camera time and dosent know what the hell he's saying
Old 07-04-05, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Walton is the most mercurial announcer I've ever heard. He can contradict himself three or four times before a game is over. That said, he is also one of the funnier guys around, and his hyperbolic insults always make me laugh.

Give me Albert, Collins, and Kerr, throwing it back to Sir Charles and Walton to make fun of people. I'd be very happy then.
Old 07-04-05, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He has some good information, but he goes off tangent a little too often. If you can keep him in the correct direction, he does a good job.

Now keeping him on tangent is nearly impossible.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-04-05, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton is a bit of a goose. He changes his stance as often as he changes his underwear.

I like Sean Elliott though. One of the best commentators yet. I haven't really heard Steve Kerr, but from his articles on foxsports.com, I sure would like to hear him.
Old 07-04-05, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i dont particularly care for Walton's commentating, but im sure he's a smart guy & knows basketball... sometimes he sounds like he says outlandish things just for the sake of it.

Last edited by SCdac; 07-04-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Oh yes, Sir Charles is one damn good commentator as well. I hated him when he played for Phoenix though. Esp that shot over David Robinson in the playoffs.
Old 07-04-05, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I appreciate Bill Walton's passion for the game. He gets a little too passionate about things at times but overall I'd definitely take him over Tolbert,Hubie Brown, or Al Michaels. I still get goosebumps when Bill Walton talks about the Admiral sailing his ship into port after the 2003 championship. It's gotta be the best thing I've ever heard him say. Steve Kerr is definitely a great commentator as is Sean Elliott. They both provide great insight and they both like the Spurs.
Old 07-04-05, 11:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Walton is awful. He exaggerates so much. One minute he'll be saying a team is the greatest ever, the next min he'll say they are awful.
Old 07-04-05, 11:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
what do you guys think of the greatest(at least most entertaining) announcer/analyst of all time? sean elliott is right up there too.
could you imagine the team of walton and elliott? it would be worth watching the game just so you could hear what they say.
Actually thats an interesting combination. I think it might work.
Old 07-04-05, 11:31 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Walton is trying to entertain. People take him way too seriously.
Old 07-05-05, 12:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like listening to Bill Walton. I know that the NBA loves Walton's commentary as well. He does such a great job at talking up any situation.

For instance, two flies mating:

Look at these two flies mate. Such mastery. Watch how the male fly positions him to where the female doesn't even see what hit her. We are watching one of the greater moments in history.

Old 07-05-05, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Walton is horrible...I prefer Marv Albert any day of the week.

Everyone forget Walton's ridiculous "changing of the guard" comments when talking about Amare and Timmy...not yet you big red ogre!!
Old 07-05-05, 01:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
He has some good information, but he goes off tangent a little too often. If you can keep him in the correct direction, he does a good job.

Now keeping him on tangent is nearly impossible.
Surprisingly the only announcer whom i have heard that has the ability to keep Big Bill honest is Brent Mussburger. I severely dislike brent, probably more than I dislike walton, but to hear them call a game together was really very engaging.

Bill Walton and Snapper Jones were also engaging, though neither of them could call play by play for spit.

-Fredrich Nietzsche
Old 07-05-05, 04:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Chick Hearn is by far the best announcer ever. His level of greatness compared to the rest of the NBA's play-by-play men would be equivalent to how Michael Jordan would look playing in the NBDL. The only guy I've ever heard who I can even begin to put in the same ballpark is Marv Albert, but he's still not close. It's a shame he had to be paired with that nut-rider Stu Lantz.