LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-05, 03:46 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Our Sean Elliott joins an Elite High School list

Former 'nerd' joins elite high school list
Web Posted: 07/03/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer

Sean Elliott was a high school star in Tucson, Ariz., before he played for the Spurs.

Except for the whole basketball star thing, Sean Elliott insists his high-school experience was about as average as they come.

Sean Elliott was a high school star in Tucson, Ariz., before he played for the Spurs.

"I was a nerd," said Elliott, recalling the days before he was an All-American at the University of Arizona and had his No.32 jersey retired by the Spurs. "I wasn't popular, I couldn't get a date."

Those shortcomings aside, Elliott must have done something right during his four years at Cholla High in Tucson, Ariz.

Along with Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer and ex-Cowboys defensive tackle Chad Hennings, Elliott was one of 13 individuals inducted into the National High School Hall of Fame during a banquet Saturday at the Marriott Rivercenter.

The other inductees were administrators Earl Gillespie of Virginia and Dr. Sandra Scott of New York; fine arts instructors Donus Roberts of South Dakota and Betty Whitlock of Mississippi; Arkansas official Jerry Hall; coaches Bill Gentry of New Mexico, Jerry Popp of North Dakota and Bob Wood of Michigan; Nevada golfer Patty Sheehan; and Indiana basketball player LaTaunya Pollard.

A late bloomer who developed into one of the nation's top players at the Air Force Academy, Hennings flew 45 missions over Iraq in an A-10 Thunderbolt before winning three Super Bowl rings in nine seasons with the Cowboys.

"It was definitely a roller-coaster ride of experiences and emotions," said Hennings, a native of tiny Van Horne, Iowa. "But (playing professional football) was just the next thing on my agenda. To me, it was no different from getting up in the morning and working on the farm back in Iowa. I was punching the clock."

Down 30 pounds from his playing days, the 39-year-old Hennings maintains that blue-collar mentality with a busy schedule that includes running two private companies and making motivational speeches across the country. Despite the circuitous route he took to the NFL, Hennings said he wouldn't change a thing.

"I never thought I'd ever play professional football, so my main priority was to get a great education and have a lot of experiences at the next level," said Hennings, who lives in Flower Mound with his wife and two children.

Elliott and Hennings have retired, but Detmer is preparing for his 14th NFL season, with Atlanta. Upon hearing that he had been selected for induction, the former Southwest standout said he was honored but not overwhelmed.

That changed when he got a look at the list of the 314 inductees who preceded the Class of 2005 — Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Jack Nicklaus, Larry Bird, Arnold Palmer and Tom Landry among them.

"I didn't realize the kind of company we're in until they gave me the brochure," Detmer said. "That kind of makes you think about it a little bit."

With his playing days winding down, Detmer isn't sure if he'll follow his father Sonny into the coaching ranks or spend time with his wife and four young daughters.

"I have trouble not seeing myself doing something with football," said Detmer, a resident of Lake Travis. "But those college and pro coaches don't get to spend much time with their family. I'm just going to see what's out there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....2e9f25b7.html
Old 07-03-05, 03:52 AM
MomBear

I saw that on the news... Sean was all smiles... WTG Sean...

Thanks for posting the article spurscrazed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-05, 03:59 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Sean is a very special athlete and person, we are so proud he is our very own...
He deserves the best ...
Who can have him in his school or club/organization and forget him?
He sure makes his impact well known
His retired jersey will always be up there with the best Spurs forever....

God Bless
Old 07-03-05, 09:37 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

He is still Tucson's favorite son, and all time best athlete. Tucson has mad love for Ninja AND Steve Kerr!!!
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-05, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

WTG SEAN
Old 07-04-05, 01:12 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

congrats Sean