News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 07-02-05, 03:35 PM
Amente's Avatar
SpursReport Mod Geezer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,528
CBA Changes

Here are some of tha changes coming about in the new CBA:

1. The salary cap will be set each year at 51% of Basketball Related Income (BRI), up from 48%. cap will go up to about the 47-50M range this summer.

2. The players will be guaranteed a total of 57% of BRI each year, previously there was no guarantee.

3. The escrow tax on player salaries will gradually be reduced from 10% to 8%.

4. The escrow tax will only be retained by the owners to offset salary costs when total salaries exceed 57% still but in the new deal that threshold will be raised if overall league revenues increase to certain levels.

5. There are no changes being made to the cap exceptions. (MLE, LLE etc.)

6. For teams over the cap, trades will be allowed as long as they trade away as much first-year salary as they receive within 25% (up from 15%) + $100,000.

7. Base-year compensation ruleswill be relaxed in some fashion.

8. The luxury tax will stay as is (dollar-for-dollar on teams above the same 61% threshold), but all teams (including those who pay tax) under the new deal will receive a full share of the escrow and tax collections.

9. The salary cap and luxury tax exceptions for players who are deemed ‘permanently injured’ will begin after one year rather than two.

10. Luxury tax exceptions will be added in some form for minimum salary players.

11. Minimum salary levels will be increased by 3.5%.

12. The maximum length of a new contract will now be 6 years for a player who signs with his current team (down from 7), and 5 years for a player who signs with another team (down from 6).

13. The maximum raises on a new contract will now be 10.5% annually (not compounded) for a player who signs with his current team (down from 12.5%), and 8% for a player who signs with another team (down from 10%).

14. Teams will be required to have a minimum of 14 players (up from 11) under contract.
Max is still probably 15.

15. The active roster will still be limited to 12 players, but the designation for the others will now be ‘inactive’ rather than ‘injured.’

16. A team will have 7 days to match an offer for a restricted free agent (down from 14).


17. The NBA age limit will be 19, and/or one year past high school, based on calendar year and the NBA Developmental League age limit will be 18, down from 20.

18. Teams will be able to send players with less than two years experience to the NBDL for needed development during the year, while still retaining full rights, with the ability to recall any such player at any time as desired. Such players will receive their full NBA pay.

19. Teams will be able to send an assistant coach to their associated NBDL team to work with and monitor the development of their players.

20. First-round picks will be given standard contracts with two years guaranteed (down from 3), followed by two years of team options (up from 1). The contract amounts will remain standardized.

21. Second-round picks will be restricted through three years, and will be limited to the MLE for the first year of a new deal if they become a free agent within the 3 years, allowing their original team to match any offer and retain them as long as they have their MLE available.

22. Players will be subject to as many as 4 random drug tests per year (up from 1), with penalties increasing for failing a test on a 4-strike system (5-10 games, 25 games, 1 year, lifetime).

23. Suspensions for on-court misbehavior will be subject to arbitration if the penalty exceeds 12 games (formerly there was no arbitration regardless of length).

24.Teams will be given a one-time opportunity (this sumemr) to waive one player and eliminate luxury tax on any future contractual payments to that player. The salary will still count towards the cap, and payment will still have to be paid to the player according to the contract, but the team will not be subject to tax on that player’s contract.

25. There will be a longer-than-usual July moratorium this summer, as the wording on the deal is hashed out, but summer leagues and negotiations with draft picks and free agents will be allowed to take place during that time without interruption. No new contract signings (including draft picks) can take place til the moratorium ends this summer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-05, 03:54 PM
MarineForLife's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
23. Suspensions for on-court misbehavior will be subject to arbitration if the penalty exceeds 12 games.
__________________
U.S. Marine - no better friend, no worse enemy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-05, 03:59 PM
mckennaspur1's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: nyc
Posts: 6,440

Thanx, Amente.

I'd like to think that people here will read your post before suggesting trades and personnel moves...........but I know that ain't gonna happen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-05, 05:17 PM
zfo85's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 233

That's pretty cool using the NBDL more like a baseball farm league system. I like that idea.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-05, 06:09 PM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
22. Players will be subject to as many as 4 random drug tests per year (up from 1), with penalties increasing for failing a test on a 4-strike system (5-10 games, 25 games, 1 year, lifetime).
Well there goes most of the Portland Trailblazer team...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-05, 06:12 PM
undertoh's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
16. A team will have 7 days to match an offer for a restricted free agent (down from 14).
i like this rule, now teams might be more willing to take a chance on a guy like joe johnson and not worry about losing other potential FAs if the suns match the offer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-05, 06:50 PM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Is there a link to this information??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-05, 09:38 PM
spurscrazed's Avatar
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,375

I would like the link too.
Thanks Amente
__________________
Go Spurs Go!

Last edited by spurscrazed; 07-02-05 at 09:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-05, 10:22 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
19. Teams will be able to send an assistant coach to their associated NBDL team to work with and monitor the development of their players.
Do the Spurs have an association with an NBDL team?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-05, 11:28 PM
ThomasamohT's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 784

Quote:
21. Second-round picks will be restricted through three years, and will be limited to the MLE for the first year of a new deal if they become a free agent within the 3 years, allowing their original team to match any offer and retain them as long as they have their MLE available.
So does this mean that if you're a second round pick (like Manu) you have to wait at least 3 years before you can make more than the MLE?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-05, 12:07 AM
jscarlett's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Do the Spurs have an association with an NBDL team?
FWIW: Some have mentioned the new Austin NBDL Team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-05, 03:34 PM
ThomasamohT's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
24.Teams will be given a one-time opportunity (this sumemr) to waive one player and eliminate luxury tax on any future contractual payments to that player. The salary will still count towards the cap, and payment will still have to be paid to the player according to the contract, but the team will not be subject to tax on that player’s contract.
Does anyone know how this will work? Will a team be able to resign a player who was waived?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-05, 04:32 PM
timdunkin2000's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter-Rest In Peace
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,458

Quote:
15. The active roster will still be limited to 12 players, but the designation for the others will now be ‘inactive’ rather than ‘injured.’
So I guess that means they can stop the "left patella tendonitis" charade.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-03-05, 04:38 PM
lounorthside's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 400

Quote:
18. Teams will be able to send players with less than two years experience to the NBDL for needed development during the year, while still retaining full rights, with the ability to recall any such player at any time as desired. Such players will receive their full NBA pay.

19. Teams will be able to send an assistant coach to their associated NBDL team to work with and monitor the development of their players.
Those two points are awesome...Get your draft picks and put them on an NBDL team and find out what they can do!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-05, 05:22 PM
SPUROFTHAMOMENT's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT
Does anyone know how this will work? Will a team be able to resign a player who was waived?
Yeah, the player can sign with another team. The original team that waived them would still be responsible for the salary. (I think) Like what they were talking about with Michael Finley and Dallas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-03-05, 05:53 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

I think emphasizing the NBDL is a big step.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-04-05, 12:17 AM
Amente's Avatar
SpursReport Mod Geezer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Is there a link to this information??
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed
I would like the link too.
Thanks Amente
Sorry I have no link.
I gathered these from different sources.

Once the new CBA deal is done I'll post the link to the actual CBA once
he gets posted back on the net.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-04-05, 01:09 AM
xmiltsx's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT
Does anyone know how this will work? Will a team be able to resign a player who was waived?
nope, they will be unable to sign that player for the remainder of the contract since the team will technically still be paying him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0