News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-01-05, 08:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

can manu get better or has he peaked

I do not think he can play better. The only thing he might be able to do is be able to play more minutes and be as effective. HE was hot this postseason. Has manu peaked?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 08:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

of course he can play better
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If you want to talk about hot you should flash back to the video someone posted of his Italian league days...that sh!t is spicier than your mama in a black teddy on Valentine's day
Old 07-01-05, 08:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This guy is far from having reached his potential.
Old 07-01-05, 08:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

dude he is the same age as duncan or close to it

do you honestly think he can improve?
he might improve a little with his decision making but that is about it
Old 07-01-05, 08:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He can play better, he is now in the very moment to start playing his game. At this moment he feels like a leader, he is confident, I think he is going to have an awesome next season. Remember what Tim Duncan said, something like We didn't started to know what he is or what he can do.

Last edited by bonnington; 07-01-05 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

by the way I think manu plays fine he does not need to improve
I am satisifed with the way he plays
Old 07-01-05, 08:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

There's always room to improve. He can cut down on turnovers, get better at the FT line (this goes for EVERY Spur) and work on his midrange game. It would also be nice for him to find a way to become smarter about avoiding contact in unnecessary situations and saving his body. That will be the tough part.
Old 07-01-05, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I would like to see him play in a way that won't make him Allen Iverson in three years.
Old 07-01-05, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

manu is now a marked man. hope he can still play as good if not better
Old 07-01-05, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

^^^True, but it's still a 5 on 5 game. More attention paid to Manu is less on someone else.
Old 07-01-05, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
dude he is the same age as duncan or close to it

do you honestly think he can improve?
he might improve a little with his decision making but that is about it
Duncan said right after the finals that he thinks we haven't even scratched the service with Manu yet. That's all I need to hear. Who the hell cares what I or you or anyone else in here thinks. TD sees this guy day in and day out and if he sees the potential for more, then there's your answer.
Old 07-01-05, 08:51 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
can manu get better or has he peaked
you can always get better. the best is yet to come.
Old 07-01-05, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He can work on consistency, He can work on limiting turnovers, making better decisions, so yes, he can improve.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-01-05, 09:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Some of the things we're mentioning are less things to improve on than just flat out mistakes of the moment. His wierdo attempt to takeover at the end of Game Six, that's what Gino will always attempt to do if he feels it's there, but that particular game it wasn't. I guess in that aspect, recognizing when the fuel needs to be funneled elsewhere.
Old 07-01-05, 09:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

manu is suppose to put on weight right this summer?

that will help him from getting hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Some of the things we're mentioning are less things to improve on than just flat out mistakes of the moment. His wierdo attempt to takeover at the end of Game Six, that's what Gino will always attempt to do if he feels it's there, but that particular game it wasn't. I guess in that aspect, recognizing when the fuel needs to be funneled elsewhere.
I agree that was weird. that was the worse I ever ever saw him play.
Old 07-01-05, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

he average something like 16 or 17 ppg this season and stepped it up in the playoffs to about 21ppg.
I expect him to average about 20ppg next regular season.
Old 07-01-05, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I definitely expect to see Manu get better.

He has only been in the league for three years and in year one he was injured and played fewer minutes. Also, he played this year without getting any rest over the summer.

Next season, if he comes back refreshed, he will bring his game to another level.
Old 07-01-05, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dave
Also, he played this year without getting any rest over the summer. Next season, if he comes back refreshed, he will bring his game to another level.
This is a very good point. He was saving energy for the playoffs during the whole last season. He will be as fresh as new next season.
Old 07-01-05, 09:45 PM
Now With More Eye of Newt

i think this is really an issue for the rest of the league which prays he doesn't get any better.

recall that at around the 10:30 mark of the 4th quarter of game seven it was MANU that got us the lead and in the VERY next play grabbed a HUGE rebound. I have seen the game 4 times!!!!!
Old 07-01-05, 09:49 PM
FrenchConnection

well if he can play like he did in game 1, 2 and 7 of the finals on a consistent basis, that would be huge.
Old 07-01-05, 09:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu can get better, way better as long as he has his desire, passion and competiveness.
Old 07-01-05, 10:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Man... Imagine if Manu had entered the league at a younger age... Would be a phenomenon by now!!!

Old 07-01-05, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Manu is capable of shooting 50% from the field for a whole season.
Old 07-01-05, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He just needs more consistency. And i honestly believe he will get there with the rest he's going to get. To me it's impressive he hasn't injured badly, considering he hasn't taken a month out of basketball in like 4 years, and especially because of the way he plays.
Let him have his month off, bulkup a little, and I think the best of Manu is yet to come.
Old 07-01-05, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Duncan thinks Manu can be even better than he is now

as someone mentioned Duncan said we have barley seen all he can do

I value his opinion more than most anyone else
Old 07-01-05, 11:45 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

If Manu can get a consistent jumpshot...watch out.....practice Manu...pratice.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 07-02-05, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

He can play better since this is only his 3rd year in the NBA.

He cannot improve athleticly but can mentally, i.e. play smarter and knowing what and when to do certain things in certain situations.
Old 07-02-05, 01:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master
If Manu can get a consistent jumpshot...watch out.....practice Manu...pratice.
yep, i'm of the same opinion as you. He already improved greatly his long distance shooting, now he is needing better mid range shooting. If he can add that to his game, he'd be lethal, since it would open up his game even more. Also, he should be careful with his body, because i fear the beatings he takes night in and night out will eventually make him pay. Hopefully i'm wrong, but whenever i look at some of the games (particularily in the Denver and Seattle series) it hurts even to watch.
Old 07-02-05, 01:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops80
he average something like 16 or 17 ppg this season and stepped it up in the playoffs to about 21ppg.
I expect him to average about 20ppg next regular season.
That has to do with minutes. Manu and TD played bench player minutes in some games while they logged in heavier minutes during the playoffs. Manu with more minutes makes for a 20ppg scorer.

Manu can improve anyone can improve. It won't be by much I think.
Old 07-02-05, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Of course, Manu can play better and better.
like Mutombo said, Manu has strong Heart and strong Will to win.
this kind of guy will never disappoint you.
I trust him!
Old 07-02-05, 03:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

'Better' is a relative concept. What do we mean by better? For me that means primarily playing smarter. Skillwise it also mean developing a dependable mid range jump shot. Athletically I don't think there's too much further he can go.
Old 07-02-05, 04:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i like the way Tim put it,"we're just scatching the surfice on this guy". i think that's about as true a statement as one can make.
Old 07-02-05, 04:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

He is a winner and we have not scratched the surface yet with this guy. His popularity will skyrocket between now and the end of next season!

One Western Conf GM said he would take him ahead of Kobe in starting a team. Colishaw at the Dallas Morning News calls him the BEST 2 guard in the league (yes ahead of Kobe). Everybody recognizes one quality he has - he is a winner!

I just remember his play at the end of the game - Argentina/Serbia at the Olympics - THAT is what Manu is all about and he will get better!

Last edited by KAD; 07-02-05 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-02-05, 05:05 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
out of 23 play-off games inlcuding the finals MAnu had that ONE finish where it didn't work out .. hardly a flaw in his game when he pretty much took over a whole lot of other games with success... in game 7, the way he finished the 4th, i thought he redeemed himself so really there shouldn't be any doubt about him recognising .

a few of you are nit-picking .. i keep reading MANU played great 3 out 7 in finals ?.. well in game 5 he made good decisions, got a nice pass to Horry for the game winning 3 but didn't score as much.. his line was 15 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.. these days for MANU that kind of production is not good enough it seems... well i'll take it any day , when it leads the team to a win and a title.

Manu elavating his game to another level these play-offs not only saw improvement on his behalf but for the team as well... check out the finals again and see how Detroit double or collapses on MANU (particularly in the 4th) when he makes a move... that the same kind of attention Tim gets and the same open looks teammates get as a result... if you still don't see it, ask yrself why Horry was left open for game 5 on that final 3 - after being so hot?.. as stupid as it was by Wallace , that has everything to do with Manu's presense... i saw Detroit do it a lot , throug-out the finals so it wasn't just a one-off... containing Manu was part of their game-plan.

so yes next season Manu will improve, just don't expect to see it in scoring so much .. that's not his game since he going to take what defenses give him and do what's best for the team... it's the intangibles that the whole team benifits from is where we'll see improvement... i think that's what Tim meant with this quote.

Quote:
"I don't think we have even scratched the surface with him,"
Old 07-02-05, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
'Better' is a relative concept. What do we mean by better? For me that means primarily playing smarter. Skillwise it also mean developing a dependable mid range jump shot. Athletically I don't think there's too much further he can go.
playing smarter (knowign what he can and can not do) I think he can improve
I doubt he can improve his shooting skills
Old 07-02-05, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Playing better for Manu would simply mean producing more good stats per minute. In other words if his scoring efficiency in terms of % stayed the same, to be a better player he would have to produce more pts/ast/reb/stl per minute. Another way he can improve without improving his stats per minute or defense, is simply limiting his turnovers a bit more.
Old 07-02-05, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I posted this in another Thread, I think it has to do with the discussion also:

Increased Advantage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually wanted to post this like a week ago but finally didn´t. And then as I read in a couple of threads posts regarding what the Spurs should do to get better I just wanted to share this simple opinion (which BTW is nothing very new)
My overall feeling is that one of the things the Spurs can get better at is their collective offensive game. I think that it was clear that the Spurs game was fantastic in general but when confronted with the Pistons deffensive game it got into trouble. I don´t think we should trade anyone (just add Scola and see who has to go) as it is a matter of collective playing. I remember those glimpses against Seattle when they outplayed us for some minutes I had the feeling they could perform very good collective offensive game (aside from their thug mentality and Cry Allen) with much less talented players than we have. I said, if we can do that with our talent we´ll really start thinking about sweeping teams.

One of the keys for me has to do with Manu (please don´t misunderstand, this is not a Manu deserved MVP thread, nor a TP sucks thread nor a Manu is better than Kobe thread). Being honests, who of us actually thought that Manu could perform the way he did in playoff games before they started? , and I´m not talking about the nice layups I´m talking about having such a consistently definitive importance in playoff games. I even remember all the arguments around the All-star about him not having all-star numbers. But my main point is that Manu has proven that he´s such an intelligent player and with a great court-vision, and I think this opens up the possibility of developing our offense with new strategies and more resources, not to limit the ones we had, that actually start generally with TD, but to add another layer of possibilities starting on Manu´s capacity to be an offensive force and also organize the game as another axis. I feel that exploiting this could be an INCREASED ADVANTAGE for next season.
Old 07-02-05, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think he can play more consistently. He stepped his game up big time from the regular season to the playoffs. I fully expect his performance in the playoffs to carry over to next season. I'm expecting 20pts/gm and big plays in crunch time on a nightly basis.
Old 07-02-05, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree but he will put more muscle in him this summer. And he will be confident. I can't wait to see him playing again.
Old 07-02-05, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He can improve his midrange jumpshot quite a bit. His basketball IQ will definitely rise also. Experience means alot in this league.

"How bout them Spurs!!"
Old 07-02-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DULESfreestyler
a few of you are nit-picking .. i keep reading MANU played great 3 out 7 in finals ?.. well in game 5 he made good decisions, got a nice pass to Horry for the game winning 3 but didn't score as much.. his line was 15 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.. these days for MANU that kind of production is not good enough it seems... well i'll take it any day , when it leads the team to a win and a title.

Manu elavating his game to another level these play-offs not only saw improvement on his behalf but for the team as well... check out the finals again and see how Detroit double or collapses on MANU (particularly in the 4th) when he makes a move... that the same kind of attention Tim gets and the same open looks teammates get as a result... if you still don't see it, ask yrself why Horry was left open for game 5 on that final 3 - after being so hot?.. as stupid as it was by Wallace , that has everything to do with Manu's presense... i saw Detroit do it a lot , throug-out the finals so it wasn't just a one-off... containing Manu was part of their game-plan.

so yes next season Manu will improve, just don't expect to see it in scoring so much .. that's not his game since he going to take what defenses give him and do what's best for the team... it's the intangibles that the whole team benifits from is where we'll see improvement...
I agree. Manu caught a lot of folks by surprise this yr, and our first 3 playoff opponents (Denver, Seattle, Phoenix) where ill-equipped to deal with him, so his play in those 3 series resulted in very strong stat lines and almost dominant performance by Manu. But Detroit could deal with him better, and did for 3-4 games (albeit some of that was the thigh injury). Next season, he won't surpirse anyone, and folks will have the Detroit series tape to review for defending Manu. So the challenge I see before Manu is not to increase the stat line necessarily, but rather to find a way to make significant contributions in spite of double-teams, etc. He did exactly that in Game 5 when his presence @ the 3-pt line on the baseline drew Wallace off Horry - the talking heads didn't give Manu the credit he deserved for that play, because it made some sense for Wallace to double Manu in that position - Manu would have drained that shot, or at least would have driven to the basket and drawn a foul and quite possibly would have made the basket in spite of the foul. Manu made the timely pass to Horry, and Horry drained the 3. Manu can continue to develop that aspect of his game. He already does a fine job of it, but I think the added pressure he most assuredly will experience next season will demand that he take this aspect of his game to the next level.

Also, he does need to learn how to play without being a human pinball. I love his gutsy, fearless style, but he won't last 3 yrs that way. Hopefully the refs will give him the respect he deserves next season, so that he doesn't have to draw as much contact to get fouls and/or layup scores.

Regardless, the dude is a stud, thru and thru, and we are fortunate and blessed to have him on our roster. I'd hate to have to face him on another team - just think what it would have been like with him on the Denver roster in that series! Scary!