News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-01-05, 12:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Delfino: "If L.B. returns I want out"

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...e_20050630.htm
SCROLL DOWN

NOTEBOOK: Dumars said he had a long talk with swingman Carlos Delfino in San Antonio about his future. Delfino has told the Argentine press that if Larry Brown returned as coach, he'd like to play somewhere else. "I tend to get right to the point; I don't beat around the bush," Dumars said. "I said if you want to be here, let me know. If you don't, let me know. He said, 'I don't want to go anywhere, and I want to be here.' It's that simple. I said if you don't, give me a holler." ...

Delfino, Darko Milicic, Rickey Paulding, Andreas Glyniadakis and the latest draft picks are expected to play in the Las Vegas summer league, which starts next week.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow...summer league's already in session! I guessed it kind of surprises me since we just won the championship! Nothing better then being able to watch NBA all the way until the summer. A luxury most fans don't have..haha...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 12:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Larry Brown never gave Milicic a chance, but with Delfino the things ware even more unfair. He was cut before the playoffs.
Old 07-01-05, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well he didn't play at all so I doubt they'll miss his non-contribution if he does leave.
Old 07-01-05, 12:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hmmmmm

Beno and Rasho for Delfino and Darko????

Spurs cant have too many Argentinians on the team.
Old 07-01-05, 12:48 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Wasn't Delfino the one who said he was better than Manu, right after he got drafted?

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-01-05, 12:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Wasn't Delfino the one who said he was better than Manu, right after he got drafted?
when did he said that? i paid close attention, and i've never heard him say anything like that. He did say that comparing him to Manu is not accurate because their style of play isn't similar, but being better than Manu? when? have a link?
Old 07-01-05, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
when did he said that? i paid close attention, and i've never heard him say anything like that. He did say that comparing him to Manu is not accurate because their style of play isn't similar, but being better than Manu? when? have a link?
yeah.....he said somthing stupid......might have been playing around though.

cant think of a source.

i wonder why he didnt pan out? a lot of draft gurus were pretty high on this kid. maybe they were just high.
Old 07-01-05, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder

cant think of a source.

i wonder why he didnt pan out? a lot of draft gurus were pretty high on this kid. maybe they were just high.
Delfino had several injuries early in the season, and never fully recovered. He underwent surgery twice, and it eroded his relationship with Brown, who thought he should play injured and demanded more from him. In an act of immaturity, he went public with it, failing to realize he hasn't made a name for himself and has absolutely no leverage whatsoever, further damaging his image. It makes me sad because even if he is right, he should have been smarter than that. You don't go publicly against the widely regarded best coach in the NBA without paying the price for it. And it pains me even more because i'm about his age, and i've been fearing this from the start of it all. I would wish someone close to him would advise him to suck it up and work through it. He wouldn't be the first: us regular folks go through much worse and have to put up with it every day.
Old 07-01-05, 01:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

cant think of a source.

it's a little early to say the kid didn't pan out isn't it? would you say that beno didn't pan out as well? kwame brown is an example of a guy not panning out
Old 07-01-05, 02:20 AM

Q: What about Carlos Delfino? He apparently told Argentine reporters that he wouldn't play for Brown.

A: Dumars had a heart-to-heart talk with Delfino in San Antonio.

"I didn't pull any punches," Dumars said. "I told him, 'If you want to be here, let me know. If you don't want to be here, let me know.' He assured me that this was where he wants to be."

Delfino will play on the Pistons' summer league team in Las Vegas.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/...E03-232478.htm
Old 07-01-05, 03:08 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Better to be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 07-01-05, 09:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
Delfino had several injuries early in the season, and never fully recovered. He underwent surgery twice, and it eroded his relationship with Brown, who thought he should play injured and demanded more from him. In an act of immaturity, he went public with it, failing to realize he hasn't made a name for himself and has absolutely no leverage whatsoever, further damaging his image. It makes me sad because even if he is right, he should have been smarter than that. You don't go publicly against the widely regarded best coach in the NBA without paying the price for it. And it pains me even more because i'm about his age, and i've been fearing this from the start of it all. I would wish someone close to him would advise him to suck it up and work through it. He wouldn't be the first: us regular folks go through much worse and have to put up with it every day.
This report is almost right. He had one knee injury early in the season which management (especially Larry Brown) and veteran NBA people thought was rather minor. He ended up out for the season with the injury, asking to go back to Argentina (supposedly because he trusted their doctors more) twice for minor surgery (either scoping or scraping I believe). He has spoken to the Argentinian press about Detroit management A LOT with negative remarks almost every time. Then when he is quoted in America he says mostly nice things (this pisses off a lot of fans). He seems very unhappy with not playing yet he kept himself out of the entire season with an injury that everyone expected to be healed by the all-star break. Dumars and Brown left him off the playoff roster (he wasn't "cut right before the playoffs") because he had played like 6 games all year (he came back for the last two weeks of the season). They said it was because they didn't trust that the injury would hamper him, that seems hard to believe. It might have been a costly decision.

As for the "better than Manu" comments. There are people on here who might know the actual comments a bit better but I believe he said (and Manu agreed) something like he had a wider range of skills but Manu was clearly better than him at this point with the main things Manu does.

Last edited by Fool; 07-01-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool
He has spoken to the Argentinian press about Detroit management A LOT with negative remarks almost every time. Then when he is quoted in America he says mostly nice things (this pisses off a lot of fans). He seems very unhappy with not playing yet he kept himself out of the entire season with an injury that everyone expected to be healed by the all-star break.
He never spoke badly about Detroit management. Larry Brown was the sole target of his rage. He said multiple times that Dumars treated him like a son. He did say however, after being cut, that he did expect more from Dumars, because supposedly he found out by the press about being cut, but i don't see this as such a big offense. Apparently, the injury was considered to be minor, but according to him it was bothering him to the point where he made the decision to undergo surgery once more. I find it hard to believe he would make that stuff up just for the pleasure of going through surgery... you would think he'd be the first guy who'd like to be ready to play... so if you ask me about the injury, i don't think anyone is in position to question how he feels. The problem is how he handled the issue, as i previously said, proving to be an immature kid. Hopefully he'll learn from this and it won't cost him his NBA career.
Old 07-01-05, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I guess the memory of what happaned to Grant Hill was fresh, and he didnt wanted to take any chances. Larry Brown is not really good with rookies, I'm surprised he let Tay Prince develop his game - I guess he didnt had any alternative choice.

Brown made that Darko pick look really disastrous, and knowing Larry Brown, Dumars should had picked a player who was ready to play, like Anthony or Wade. I think that a coach like Pop would have got more of him. He was talented, he's big and very athletic.

Finally, the Spurs had won the Pistons, because Pop had better available talent. If from a similar player one gets Manu's results and the other Delfino's results, there is a huge difference. Talent development is very important.
Old 07-01-05, 11:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I dont blame him. Its pretty obvious that with Larry in there those guys are going to get next to no playing time. Thats the difference with the Spurs, they truly use all options on the bench (most of the time), the Pistons always stick with the starting 5 + maybe 2 or 3 guys.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Old 07-01-05, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Better to be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That's something I need to remember also.
Old 07-01-05, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman
Larry Brown is not really good with rookies, I'm surprised he let Tay Prince develop his game - I guess he didnt had any alternative choice.
I think Tayshaun was a rookie when Rick Carlisle was there. He got his shine when put in to defend T-Mac in the 2003 playoff run.
Old 07-01-05, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

cant think of a source.

He said something like "I can do more thinks[than Manu]" talking about overall skills
Old 07-02-05, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
rown is not really good with rookies, I'm surprised he let Tay Prince develop his game - I guess he didnt had any alternative choice
well he'll play americans first...... the only people not really playing, a serbian and an argentinean.. I don't think Larry like foreign talent..... that could be me
Old 07-02-05, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII
well he'll play americans first...... the only people not really playing, a serbian and an argentinean.. I don't think Larry like foreign talent..... that could be me
It would help if Darko would listen and learn rather than trying to play like a 2. Delfino maybe didn't prove he deserved to play and if you look at the Pistons, who is he better than on the team that plays regular minutes?

Prince? McDyess? Sheed? Wallace? Neither guy is better than those guys. Yeah, Brown is racist, right.... winning is not as important as his racist ways.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-02-05, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Malik for Delfino.

I called it.

Old 07-02-05, 02:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Interesting hypothesis...

# of players on the Pistons that Brown hardly uses:
Elden Campbell
Ronald Dupree
Darvin Ham
Horace Jenkins

# of international players that Brown hardly uses:
Carlos Arroyo
Carlos Delfino
Darko Milicic

On Team USA, he hardly used Amare Stoudemire or Emeka Okafor, and at times, he strayed from LeBron and Carmelo.
See something in common between Delfino, Milicic, Stoudemire, Okafor, LeBron and Carmelo?

As for Arroyo - the guy is new to the Pistons system, and when I watch, sometimes I think he plays out control. It would appear that often he utilizes style over substance, explaining some of the travel calls he is often tagged with when faking a pass down the lane in order to draw 'ooohs' and 'ahhhs' from the crowd. And utilizing style over substance is not 'playing the right way', right?
Old 07-02-05, 05:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Manu is in a league by himself - Delfino still trying to make it in the current league.