3. Grizzlies (from Atlanta): Pau Gasol
4. Bulls: Richard Jefferson
5. Warriors: Jason Richardson
6. Grizzlies: Tony Parker
7. Nets: Eddy Curry
8. Cleveland: Joe Johnson
9. Pistons: Jamaal Tinsley
10. Celtics: Bobby Simmons

Analysis: Well, the Wizards ended up with Arenas anyway and the Grizzlies and Warriors still end up with their original picks in Gasol and Richardson so this draft wouldn't have changed the course of NBA history all that much. Interestingly, some of the best guards in this draft went late as Parker and Tinsley were the last two picks in the first round while Arenas and Simmons were picked in the second round.

1999 Draft
1. Bulls: Elton Brand
2. Grizzlies: Manu Ginobli
3. Hornets: Steve Francis
4. Clippers: Baron Davis
5. Raptors: Shawn Marion
6. Timberwolves: Andrei Kirilenko
7. Wizards: Rip Hamilton
8. Cavaliers: Ron Artest
9. Suns: Lamar Odom
10. Hawks: Corey Maggette

Analysis: There will be arguments up and down this board considering it was a strong draft classes, but Brand, a 20 and 10 player who is a leader on and off the court, still gets the top nod six years later. Ginobli goes from the 57th pick to the second pick after his spectacular performance in the Olympics and Finals where he went from being a role player to a superstar.

Click on the link to see years '04, '03, '02, and '00

__________________________________________________ ________________________
I'd take tony over Richardson and Jefferson, and I'd take Manu over Elton.
Old 07-01-05, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I hate when do these what could have happened draft things every year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 07:05 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Kirilenko is definitely a top 3, no doubt. Wait for next year, this year would've been his breakout year, but he got injured. he'll be an abolute monster next year. No way would I take Davis, Francis or Marion over him. He is a better defender than Marion and while Davis and Francis are good offensive players, they are much easier to find than a Kirilenko. And Parker over Joe Johnson, I think most people would disagree.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-05, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like these types of analysis dramaticly better than the ever popular draft report cards given out by pontificating "experts" whose only real qualifications are that they happen to have a national column or went to the trouble of creating a draft website.

You can quible with the placings ( I agree about Kirilenko and would put him ahead of Brand- Brand puts up good numbers, but you really notice Kirilenko on the court with what he does defensively etc.)

This type of analysis is a truer grade of a teams drafting ability. In both drafts the Spurs started out with the last pick in the first round. Both times they ended up with a top 10 quality player.

What it doesn't show is that the Spurs haven't been stuck with any 1st round contracts of non contributing players allowing even more salary cap flexibility.
Old 07-01-05, 09:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we all have a happy Halloween.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 07-01-05, 10:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

the thing that article doesn't take into consideration is team needs. tell the grizzlies that they won't get double digit points from manu until 2003-2004, or that he won't be an all-star until 2005 and maybe they don't want him at #2. i'd bet that none of those teams would want him at #2.

spurs have the unique position of buying on the layaway plan. if it turns out they don't want the player, they can either leave him be or trade his rights. if they like the player, they wait until the time is right.

all the other teams in the league don't have that luxery (except maybe the pistons - see darko). the lakers were blasted for picking a high schooler that won't contribute for five years, when they're paying phil jackson 10 million per for three years to turn it around now.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 07-01-05, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

but if he'd done this list 12 months ago he'd probably have Lamar Odom going one or two
Old 07-01-05, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla
the thing that article doesn't take into consideration is team needs. tell the grizzlies that they won't get double digit points from manu until 2003-2004, or that he won't be an all-star until 2005 and maybe they don't want him at #2. i'd bet that none of those teams would want him at #2.

spurs have the unique position of buying on the layaway plan. if it turns out they don't want the player, they can either leave him be or trade his rights. if they like the player, they wait until the time is right.

all the other teams in the league don't have that luxery (except maybe the pistons - see darko). the lakers were blasted for picking a high schooler that won't contribute for five years, when they're paying phil jackson 10 million per for three years to turn it around now.
Your points are extremely valid, still I like this better than those lame draft report cards.
You really have to look at the big picture.
99- get Manu trade 1st rounder no contract to pay for three years given no one who likely contribute at that spot.
00- no real picks
01-parker
02- Trade pick for Speedy who contributes to title run. Contract expires at end of year giving cap flexibility
Draft Scola
03 Beno (needed backup point gaurd), several prospects second round.
04 Odds no one drafted at 28 would make the team or contribute- draft long range prospect with contract in Europe.
Given where the Spurs have picked and adding in needs and salary cap the Spurs have doen as well if not better than most.
Old 07-01-05, 10:29 AM
Abominable snowballer

i have to admit that i like those draft revision game, especially b/C i'm a spurs fan.
just imagine the spurs starting 5 and how the re-evaluated draft would look like.

TD: 1997/ nr 1. --> nr.1
manu: 1999/nr. 57 -->nr.2-5
tony: 2001/nr.28 -->nr. 5-8
bruce: 1993/undrafted --> nr.8-12
nazr: 1998/nr. 29 --> nr.9-12

so it could be said, that the spurs are a team that has only one lottery pick in the starting line up (TD), but after an draft re-evaluatin all 5 players likely would have been lottery picks.
Old 07-01-05, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

99´ draft had very very good players.
Manu can be 2nd or 6th
Kirilenko, Artest, Marion,Hamilton are great players
Old 07-01-05, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Id take Marion or AK47 over Manu, personally. And yeah, I hate these articles.
Old 07-01-05, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Manu would not have been #2......probably top 5 though.....

and I guess theyre putting Artest at 7 based on his craziness, because his skills warrant a top 3 pick.