SpursReport.com
Old 06-30-05, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

FOX sports Gives Spurs Draft a "C"

NBA draft grades are in
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3726598

Quote:
San Antonio Spurs
Picks: 1) Ian Mahinmi, 6-10, 230, PF, STB Le Havre (Rouen, France)

Needs: Some toughness up front and another quality perimeter shooter

Summary: Who knows who this guy is? Well, evidently the Spurs do and that's why they're champs again. They are anticipating the addition of 2002 draftee Luis Scola bringing all sorts of stuff inside and out with his 6-9 frame. Yikes.

Grade: C
Why a C? Tell my why!!
Old 06-30-05, 01:55 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateobv05
NBA draft grades are in
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3726598

Why a C? Tell my why!!
Because no one knows a lot about him. And his potential has upside. Right now its like the Spurs purchased a cheap house like they've done in the past. And then turned around to make their market value 10x what it once was.

No one is really going to give the Spurs a good grade, because there's not much known about this guy. But hey, if he does happen to turn out what Presti first saw in him as great potential, that's all that matters in the end.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-05, 02:00 AM

I sure wouldn't bet against the Spurs scouting staff. But the grade is decent, no one knows anything about him, and they are giving the grade more on the Spurs track record than of any knowledge about the new kid. Hell, I still can't remember his name.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-05, 02:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The kid has only been playing bball for 4 years. If he turns out to be great the NBA might have to ban SA from the draft.
Old 06-30-05, 02:11 AM

This draft won't really matter for a few years anyway, so I can live with a C. He's not an immediate impact player and those are usually the drafts that get an A.

Who cares anyway? We just won our third NBA Title, we're adding the best player in Europe this summer and we're worried about getting a C from Fox Sports??

Bigger fish my friends. Bigger fish.
Old 06-30-05, 02:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Considering the recent track record of Spur's FO, i am a little surprised about some of the criticism the team is getting for the pick. Even some local fans seem to think the Spurs would have been better with somone like Simien and Stoudemire. This is almost a natural reaction - looking for some sign of hubris on the part of the FO.

I have no idea if Ian M will pan out or not but I am more than willing to wait. The last time I second-guessed the team was when the Spurs essentially got Kerr for Daniels. I was miffed, but in the end it turned out pretty well.

Also these next day grades are meaningless. I am sure that even the writers feel it is worthless. Aside from a team which completely botches up their draft by drafting reach players who match players already on their team, ( Toronto this year... ), who knows. They should just publish grades for the drafts 5 years ago.
Old 06-30-05, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Actually the problem I have with this is what they said the Spurs need. The Spurs need another quality perimeter shooter? With Brent, Manu, Robert, Bruce and Devin with his developing shot the Spurs are good around that area. If we add any more we're gonna be like the Sonics. As for toughness up front, yeah, that I can agree with.

I'm not putting much thought into our draft pick. This guy won't be playing with us for a good 2 to 3 years.
Old 06-30-05, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

well, i think,, the spurs staff will not pick him if he's not a good player.. so i think he's the player we should watch out...
we'll never know.. lets just judge him when we already saw him play...

*peace*
Old 06-30-05, 03:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
This draft won't really matter for a few years anyway, so I can live with a C. He's not an immediate impact player and those are usually the drafts that get an A.

Who cares anyway? We just won our third NBA Title, we're adding the best player in Europe this summer and we're worried about getting a C from Fox Sports??

Bigger fish my friends. Bigger fish.
I'm actually not worried about it at all. I just don't get giving a team a C just because you know nothing about the player they drafted.
Old 06-30-05, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I can understand a C- I mean it's not like a good or bad thing, but kinda eh. I was like "WTF," and I'm sure the collective of Spurs fans felt the same. We'll come back to this in a few years and grade an A or F depending on what happens to him.
Old 06-30-05, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

So what? I give Fox Sports a C. And Fox "News" an F.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 06-30-05, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The draft is one of the most overanalyzed aspects of the NBA. On second thought the most-
Just because somebody has a draft website or national column does not make them an expert. Who do you trust- somebody who has created a draft website or whoever writes for Fox or ESPN- or are you going to trust Sam, R.C. and Pop?

It's a lot of fun to do some searches and look at past draft grades from various sites-
99 the Spurs got a C
taking Tony with the last pick got a B-
For sheer reading fun check out this from 99 CNNSI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...inners_losers/
First-round sleepers

Cal Bowdler, Atlanta: Hawks haven't had a real 4 in years, and he has the size, strength and moves to contribute.

James Posey, Denver: Super athlete and defender who has been underrated offensively -- can hit the 20-footer and goes to the hole well.

Dion Glover, Atlanta: Assuming his ACL heals as well as, say, Baron Davis', should be a steal. Has had an NBA body since he was, like, 9.

Vonteego Cummings, Golden State: Terrifically athletic and smooth guard can run the point or score in bunches -- inside and out.

Jumaine Jones, Philadelphia: Picture him roaming the perimeter with Allen Iverson and Larry Hughes. Scary.

Scott Padgett, Utah: We've said it before -- as close to Larry Bird in terms of style of game and variety of skills as we've seen yet.
Old 06-30-05, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Come on people. The only reason anyone gives the Spurs credit at all here is because of their past record in the draft. It's not out of the question this guy will be a total bust. We'll just have to wait and hope.
Old 06-30-05, 09:31 AM

Most reports have given the Spurs an "Incomplete". More accurate and reasonable IMO. They shouldnt give this guy a C because they dont know anything about him. They are going about it all wrong.
Old 06-30-05, 09:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This grade means nothing the Spurs picked based on future needs not immediate needs. Mahinmi will not play in the NBA for two or three years.
Old 06-30-05, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Come on people. The only reason anyone gives the Spurs credit at all here is because of their past record in the draft. It's not out of the question this guy will be a total bust. We'll just have to wait and hope.
And stay off of motorcycles. Seriously.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 06-30-05, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Grading the draft at this point is meaningless. Teams like the Spurs and Lakers, who drafted projects, should receive an Incomplete until the projects are completed.

And while we're on the topic of meaningless sports columnist blather: Where did this ridiculous notion, now accepted as conventional wisdom, that the Spurs lack toughness up front come from?

The pundits would simultaneously have us believe that Detroit is the most brutal defensive post team in the league and that Tim Duncan is soft for not dominating them.

That makes about as much sense as arguing that the citizens of Stalingrad were soft because it took them over a year to turn back the Nazi onslaught.

Toughness and heart are revealed when the cause is nearly lost, not when the opponent falls prostrate before you.

They say Secretariat's heart was a freakish two-and-a-half sizes larger than the average throughbred. When we look back on game 7 of 2005 NBA Finals, history will show that Tim Duncan's heart grew three sizes that day.
Old 06-30-05, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu was listed as a PF on the 99 draft list

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Old 06-30-05, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

draftexpress.com also gave us a C

#28: San Antonio Spurs: C

Ian Mahinmi, PF, France (#28)

The Spurs reached for a guy who most likely would have been there for them in the middle of the 2nd round if they would have managed to trade down. As someone who has seen Mahinmi play on tape on a number of occasions, it’s hard not to notice how far away he is from contributing anytime soon. The Spurs have no immediate needs on their roster and can certainly afford to wait a couple of years, so knowing them, they might just bring him over in two years and mold him into a player when it’s all said and done.
Old 06-30-05, 06:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora
Considering the recent track record of Spur's FO, i am a little surprised about some of the criticism the team is getting for the pick. Even some local fans seem to think the Spurs would have been better with somone like Simien and Stoudemire. This is almost a natural reaction - looking for some sign of hubris on the part of the FO.

Criticism is always a good thing. We know the media experts don't know anything anyway.

Which experts praised the selection of Manu at 57? Which experts correctly noted that Tony Parker would be a starting point guard in his rookie year?

Now, I have no idea if the Spurs drafting of Ian is a good thing or not. However, I am smart enough to know that no one else knows the answer either. The book may not be written on this selection until the year 2010 or later. However, we are off to a very good start when the critics are negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem
Grading the draft at this point is meaningless. Teams like the Spurs and Lakers, who drafted projects, should receive an Incomplete until the projects are completed.

And while we're on the topic of meaningless sports columnist blather: Where did this ridiculous notion, now accepted as conventional wisdom, that the Spurs lack toughness up front come from?

The pundits would simultaneously have us believe that Detroit is the most brutal defensive post team in the league and that Tim Duncan is soft for not dominating them.

That makes about as much sense as arguing that the citizens of Stalingrad were soft because it took them over a year to turn back the Nazi onslaught.

Toughness and heart are revealed when the cause is nearly lost, not when the opponent falls prostrate before you.

They say Secretariat's heart was a freakish two-and-a-half sizes larger than the average throughbred. When we look back on game 7 of 2005 NBA Finals, history will show that Tim Duncan's heart grew three sizes that day.
Excellent Post
Old 06-30-05, 11:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Criticism is mainly due to no competition from other teams to draft this guy. SPURS can trade down to 2nd round if they find another team to help and still get this guy in the 2nd round. However, since D Ferry become the new GM of Cleveland, they may fear that D Ferry will pick him or SPURS may be very very high on this guy so they don't want to take any risk and they probably want to lock him up in SA for 4 years using the 1st round pick instead of 2nd round (2 year lock only). Anyway, who care about a C grade? It will become a A++ 2 years later.