News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-05, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Does this mean the Spurs have given up?

Does this mean the Spurs have given up on Javtokas?

Isn't he pretty much the same guy as this Frenchie we just drafted?

C/F with crazy hops, limited range, strong rebounding and hustle skills? Unlikely both of them will wind up on the roster if they play exactly the same role.

Maybe we'll never see Robertas in the silver and black drawers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-05, 09:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

not everyone will pan out.

jovotkas is a crapshoot since he had that accident a while back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-05, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think they just want to have more options. Plus, Javtokas could play in the NBA in very short time, while Ian is too raw, for at least couple of years.

I actually like this move, this way you have every year a chance to get a player or two who has been yours for a while and been developing overseas. Just check Spurs' pool of players overseas.
Old 06-29-05, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Javtokas comparison is exactly what I thought when we drafted Ian.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 06-29-05, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I thought RJ had re-signed to play in europe? I guess SA doesnt think he is ready...who knows
Old 06-29-05, 09:24 AM
MomBear

That's what I heard he resigned over there.
Old 06-29-05, 09:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

if he re-signed over there don't we lose the ability to bring him over?
Old 06-29-05, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Maybe he doesn't want to come over to the US and ride the bench. That's probably a factor too.
Old 06-29-05, 10:24 AM
Abominable snowballer

javtokas right now is not good enough. and he is already 25. he didn't improve his game in the two years after his comeback, in fact this year was maybe worse than the year before.
i don't ever see him as a spur.
as mentioned, not every second round pick will be manu or scola like.
Old 06-29-05, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

he would have been the real deal if he did not pull a kellen winslow/jay williams
Old 06-29-05, 10:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Robertas signed for one more year with his team in Lithutania...He was named the MVP of the ULEB Cup and they did quite well this year. as I recall.

In fact here is the story.

The ULEB Cup has a new champion and the Euroleague has a new team from Lithuania. It could be no other way after Lietuvos Rytas dominated for 30 minutes and then held off a furious Alfa Makedonikos rally to win 78-74 on Tuesday in the ULEB Cup Final in Charleroi, Belgium. Lietuvos Rytas came with a scoring reputation, but ruled on defense, holding Makedonikos to 26 points in the game's first 24 minutes. the Makedonikos shooters hit only 1 of their first 13 three-pointers.

Video Interview
he ULEB Cup has a new champion and the Euroleague has a new team from Lithuania. It could be no other way after Lietuvos Rytas dominated for 30 minutes and then held off a furious Alfa Makedonikos rally to win 78-74 on Tuesday in the ULEB Cup Final in Charleroi, Belgium. Lietuvos Rytas came with a scoring reputation, but ruled on defense, holding Makedonikos to 26 points in the game's first 24 minutes. the Makedonikos shooters hit only 1 of their first 13 three-pointers.

When Makedonikos started making them, however, midway through the fourth quarter, things got really exciting. Slaven Rimac hit the last to make it 77-74 with 12 seconds left, but L. Rytas held on.

Robertas Javtokas was voted MVP of the Final after scoring 14 points and pulling 5 rebounds for the winners. Their top scorers were Tyrone Nesby and Simas Jasaitis with 16 points each. The game's top gun was Pete Mickeal of Makedonikos, with 24 points. Slaven Rimac added 14 points, 10 in the final quarter. Congratulations to the new ULEB Cup champion, Lietuvos Rytas!

pugman - As I recall the accident was not his fault. The van made an illegal turn and he couldn't stop in time. He has made a remarkable recovery from his injuries considerly he was NOT expected to walk normally let alone play basketball.

Last edited by lounorthside; 06-29-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-29-05, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Tyrone Nesby!!!

that is funny.
Old 06-29-05, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I don't think Javtokas is coming.
Old 06-29-05, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Javtokas apparantly signed a one year deal because he was unsure of how the NBA Labor situation would be resolved. A few days later, it was.

I think the Spurs are still very interested in adding him, and I would imagine he's very excited about coming here. But it likely won't be for at least another year.

Which isn't bad. Another year of seasoning won't hurt him.
Old 06-29-05, 11:44 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounorthside
Robertas signed for one more year with his team in Lithutania...He was named the MVP of the ULEB Cup and they did quite well this year.
the uleb cup is not compareable to the euroleague, there is a big difference in the quality level.
in those finals no player really stood out, so robertas won the mvp with an average performance.

in the domestic luthinian league he was almost the same like the year before, in fact his stats were a little worse despite his minutes increased a little bit.
but he hasn't reached the level of 2002 (before his accident).

robertas is a player like many others in europe, a good but not dominat player in his domestic league, not on european top level and far from nba level.

manu and scola were stars of the two strongest domestic leagues in europe (italy and spain) and top performers at the highest level of competition in europe (euroleague).
there is a huge difference between their performances and the performance of robertas. i'm sorry to say that, but robertas is definitly not nba ready (and never will be) and for sure not for a contender like the spurs.
if he was, you could also take another 200 players from europe to play in the nba.
Old 06-29-05, 11:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Maybe Javtokas is still in the overall picture.

Maybe Karaulov isn't. He's the guy who was 22 and not yet in the Russian A league.
Old 06-29-05, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
the uleb cup is not compareable to the euroleague, there is a big difference in the quality level.
in those finals no player really stood out, so robertas won the mvp with an average performance.

in the domestic luthinian league he was almost the same like the year before, in fact his stats were a little worse despite his minutes increased a little bit.

robertas is a player like many others in europe, a good but not dominat player in his domestic league, not on european top level and far from nba level.

manu and scola were stars of the two strongest domestic leagues in europe (italy and spain) and top performers at the highest level of competition in europe (euroleague).
there is a huge difference between their performances and the performance of robertas. i'm sorry to say that, but robertas is definitly not nba ready (and never will be) and for sure not for a contender like the spurs.
if he was, you could also take another 200 players from europe to play in the nba.
One of the reasons GMs didn't draft Euros at as high a rate this year seems to be an inability to make the distinguishments you point out. Manu/Scola performed at the highest levels, some scouts couldn't tell you the difference in overseas leagues.
Old 06-29-05, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious
if he re-signed over there don't we lose the ability to bring him over?
no, they'll still hold his rights unless there is some new rule about it in the new CBA.
Old 06-29-05, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Javtokas has a much more developed physique than Mahinmi. The photos I saw of Javtokas last summer, dude was ripped.
Old 06-29-05, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If Nazr re-sign next season I thik Spurs will trade Rasho or Javtokas
Old 06-29-05, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever
Javtokas has a much more developed physique than Mahinmi. The photos I saw of Javtokas last summer, dude was ripped.
The big difference is that Mahinmi is a healthy 18 year old while Javtokas is 25 and still has health questions.
Old 06-29-05, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't know......I think that people who say he has not improved are not looking at the big picture. To come back from the surgeries that he has had and be able to compete and hold his on in the Olympics says a lot about the player and his character.

I think it all hinges on if Nazz wants to stay with the Spurs...if he does then I don't see him comming but if Nazz leaves next year then he will be a Spur!
Old 06-29-05, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know......I think that people who say he has not improved are not looking at the big picture. To come back from the surgeries that he has had and be able to compete and hold his on in the Olympics says a lot about the player and his character.

I think it all hinges on if Nazz wants to stay with the Spurs...if he does then I don't see him comming but if Nazz leaves next year then he will be a Spur!

I also think if the spurs dont want rasho next year then that may open a (cheaper) slot on the roster for RJ. he could also replace the older TMass.
Old 06-29-05, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I can't see the Spurs giving up on Rasho. You can never have too many capable Bigs. This is assuming that Nazz stays a Spur. I'm still not sure why Rasho didn't get some minutes, particularly during the Detroit series with their coterie of big men that they threw at Tim. Putting Rasho in would have given them a different look and something else to have to adjust to. All's well that ends well. That's why Pop is coaching the Spurs and not me.
Old 06-29-05, 11:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Javotkas has an NBA body and from what I recall from the Olympics, is very strong.

I liked his hustle and strength the best. If Ian is as athletic as the two video clips posted on SR, he is way more athletic than Javotakas. But Javotakas could be our Lithuanian enforcer.
Old 06-30-05, 12:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Ian is like a young Amare. He will not be ready to play in the NBA for another 3 years. As fans we should just forget about him until the time comes.

Javtokas is IMO ready now. I like him alot, cos he's a young banger, very strong, and seems to be a decent shotblocker.

Problem is the frontcourt is loaded with Nazr, Rasho, Rob and now Scola coming in. Unless he is willing to be a practice player like Marks or an out-of-rotation player like TMass, earning a minimum contract, there isn't space for him. If I was him and deciding between a min contract with the Spurs and being MVP caliber at home, I'd think twice too.
Old 06-30-05, 01:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Javtokas should get a shot. He's too big and too athletic not to.
Old 06-30-05, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder

I also think if the spurs dont want rasho next year then that may open a (cheaper) slot on the roster for RJ. he could also replace the older TMass.
Javtokas has worked very hard to get back to playing again. The Spurs helped him get the best medical care.

But all the character and mental toughness in the world can't make him the athletic freak he used to be. Think Elgin Baylor or James Silas, post-injury.
Old 06-30-05, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He will probably be able to fill that practice big role, spend alot of time on the IR and play when filling in for injuries. He never fully recovered and it shows.
Old 06-30-05, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer

I agree with you on principle, but if I wanted to nitpick, I would bring the exemple of TP.
He was playing on a mediocre team in a mediocre league, and putting pretty average stats.

Then again, he was only 18...
Old 06-30-05, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Then again, he was only 18...

bingo!!