News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-05, 04:40 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Iam Mahimi: A consideration for the future

After reading many articles and comments on the newest Spur drafted and discussing this with Draftguru, I'm come to the conclusion that we as Spurs fans should do one thing.

Relax.

We're coming off a championship season.

We're primed for another run next year. All the key components are in place with the exception of Horry and Scola, but hopefully any mystery regarding those players can be cleared up in the next few weeks.

Ian Mahimi, may be a raw PF now. But who knows, maybe he'll be an athletic center in the mold of Sam Dalenbert in a couple of years. Or perhaps he'll turn into a poor man's Kevin Garnett.

I don't know about you, but a rich team such as the Spurs can deal with a few "poor men."

Think in 3 years Duncan will be 33, he'll be getting into the begining of the twilight of his career. Now someone with such solid fundamentals can't be counted out, but one must also consider that he might be better off playing more center at that point in his career.

Now I know what eveyone is saying, "Tim doesn't like to play center!" But in truth look at how much center he played in the finals. And in 3 years w/o Shaq to oppose him, who would stand in Tim's way?

Imagine Mahimi coming off the bench as a reserve able to spell Scola AND Duncan. Brilliant! And what do we have to lose if none of this turns out that way? One "wasted" pick.

I don't know about you guys but I'll take "one wasted pick" by our front office than the multitude of erronous decisions made by many other team's GM's recnetly (Toronto, NY, and LA come to mind).

One thing above all, after getting Manu, Tony, and Beno is that I've learned to trust our team, from the players to managment.

Here's to many more years of Spuriffic team basketball.

Last edited by Spursin6; 06-29-05 at 04:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-05, 05:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah I had a feeling the spurs where going to go foreign-another big body for the spurs to throw at opponents
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-05, 08:11 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Sam Presti wanted this guy and they got him

now he can develop overseas

perhaps in a few years we will be saying what a steal this was. who knows

I didnt have a problem with the pick...the FO knows what its doing
Old 06-29-05, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Rookie

have any of you all thought that maybe this guy will be the defensive-stopper groomed to contain Amare Stoudamire. Just think, they are both the same size, pretty much, although Amare is alot stronger. But, I would have to say that judging from the things we have read about him thus far, his speed and athleticism are out of this world. That is what is needed to guard Amare. SO, yeah, he may have to stay overseas a few years, but it will be time well spent as he learns the fundamentals, and then he could be on our team right around Amare really begins to peak. I see where you are going, Spurs FO. Good job!!!
Old 06-29-05, 08:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yep keep it in perspective
28th pick you get an 18 year old 6'10" very athletic, very long wing span and appears to be a hard worker. Will develope in europe not at the end of a bench or some college surrounded by a sycophantic entourage.
Add in the track record overall of mid to late 1st round picks (it's not that great on average- yeah you can point to some exceptions but overall not good)

I think it's a good pick.
Old 06-29-05, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensive60
have any of you all thought that maybe this guy will be the defensive-stopper groomed to contain Amare Stoudamire. Just think, they are both the same size, pretty much, although Amare is alot stronger. But, I would have to say that judging from the things we have read about him thus far, his speed and athleticism are out of this world. That is what is needed to guard Amare. SO, yeah, he may have to stay overseas a few years, but it will be time well spent as he learns the fundamentals, and then he could be on our team right around Amare really begins to peak. I see where you are going, Spurs FO. Good job!!!
Myabe. But if the Spurs were so desparate to stop Amare they have a ready made body in Robertas "Shark" Javtokas.
Old 06-29-05, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't question the player, I am questioning where he was picked. This guy wasn't even on anyones radar, and Spurs go and spend a 1st rounder on him? They could have traded down, and maybe gotten another 2nd rounder, possibly in the future. Now this guy has a guaranteed conract.
Old 06-29-05, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Now this guy has a guaranteed conract.
not while he isnt in the NBA. The spurs dont pay him while he plays in europe and he doesnt count against the cap while he plays elsewhere
Old 06-29-05, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Watching the NBA Draft is the most enjoyable experience for Spurs fans. They know their team is in good hands and can laugh at how other teams just ruin themselves (see Raptors.)
Old 06-29-05, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think Spurs will bring him over in 3yrs, he will play a few yrs alongside Duncan

while he is Mentored and then he MAY be Tony's next PF after TD ERA.

If he develops the way Presti and RC think he will.

Can you imagine?

Last edited by stuffedmushroomz; 06-29-05 at 10:42 AM.